TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elle_94 Offline
Not a n00b

Question Would it be inappropriate to wear this outfit to a wedding? - July 24th 2017, 08:26 AM

Hi,

So my boyfriend's sister is getting married this year. I bought a beautiful dress for it a few months ago now, a knee length skater dress with short sleeves, which is all over black lace (a flowery pattern), but the underneath is a dark shade of cream (clearly visible through the lace). For my accessories, I have a cream fascinator which has strokes of black on it, a cream with black lace clutch bag, and a small, thin black choker. As it is a winter wedding, I also have a smart, cream coat just to wear to keep me warm whilst outside, and I am planning on wearing a simple pair of black heels for my shoes.

I absolutely love the outfit and when I tried it on for my boyfriend and my family they all said I looked lovely, no one said anything about it looking inappropriate to wear to a wedding. However, when I showed it to my friend, she gave me a disapproving look and said "wow, you're brave to be going to a wedding in those colours. I don't think the bride will be best pleased."

Obviously I know the whole no white at a wedding rule, and for most people I know this includes shades of white too like cream and ivory. But as long as I'm not wearing a solid white/cream/ivory dress that definitely does not look like a wedding gown (mine certainly doesn't), I didn't think a splash of cream would really cause any offence? I also know that years ago black was considered a no-no colour, but as far as I understood that rule had kind of faded out now. I've seen plenty of people wear black to weddings and no one has ever batted an eye lid. I thought as long as I didn't turn up in head to toe black, as though I was going to a funeral, then It wouldn't really bother anyone?

Do you think this is inappropriate? Am I going to upset the bride and groom by wearing this?

Also, if it matters, it's not a super traditional wedding (ie not in a church, there's going to be arcade game machines for the guests to play on at the reception :P). The Bride and groom are also quite young and I wouldnt say they're particularly traditional people.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Would it be inappropriate to wear this outfit to a wedding? - July 25th 2017, 12:26 AM

I personally think there's no issue in that outfit, the way you described it sounds pretty! If the party is at night then even better. But what I think your friend was referring to was the possibility that the outfit will be too flashy (which I don't think so) and it would upset the bride because people will focus on your outfit rather than her. But maybe the bride isn't concerned about that? Some brides are terrible about that sort of thing and others aren't. I think your outfit would look good and I don't think it's that flashy tbh.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Would it be inappropriate to wear this outfit to a wedding? - July 28th 2017, 04:24 AM

I do not see a problem with it but I've never been one of those people that was fond of the wedding traditions. That being said, I suppose it's possible the bride might not like it. I wouldn't care especially since the cream color seems like more of an accent color. If you are worried about upsetting the Bride why don't you just talk to her or have your boyfriend talk to her. From the things you said, it doesn't sound like the bride and groom are going to be doing a traditional wedding so it's likely they won't care. However, to ease your mind I think talking to them and asking if it's okay might be the best thing to do.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread