TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion

I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Easy nail designs? - April 3rd 2012, 04:35 AM

Okay, I'm really new to this.

I'm a big tomboy, so I know nothing about doing nails. In fact, I don't like doing my nails at all. However, prom is coming up and I want to do a simple design for my nails. I've seen a few interesting ones online, but I was wondering if anyone here had some tips or ideas for a simple nail design. I'm putting in a picture of my dress. I wanted my nails to be a blue that matches it, but I don't want to just put blue nail polish on and that be it. I really want a design. Any ideas or advice is helpful.

Though you may sleep through half the day,
I know I'm in your heart even as you snore away.
I love my big sleepy bear.
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 ------------I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Peter Quill Offline
aka Star Lord badass

Outside, huh?

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 3rd 2012, 05:06 AM

I actually wore blue dresses to prom both years & what I did was picked a bright color to go with it. Bright orange, bright pink, bright something. You could even go to a salon & pick out a design depending on what they have.

"Come & Get Your Love" - Redbone

(#3 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 3rd 2012, 05:46 AM

First of all, since you said that you didn't want to just plain blue, add some color to them! Whether you choose a random color, like Barbara mentioned, or maybe choose a color that matches. For example, if you're wearing black accessories/shoes, add black into the design.

Second, are you doing them yourself? Or are you going to a salon?
If you're going to a salon, you can always do what Barbara mentioned & look at their designs. All the ones I've been to have really nice designs.

Third, it also depends what you want. What types of designs were you looking towards? (:
I found out that once you have at least an idea/theme of what you want on your nails... it will become much easier to determine how to paint them.

If you're not going to a salon to get the design or can't figure out how to do the design yourself you can always look into using nail art decals (stickers). There are some really complex ones that you can find that make your nails look great! & they're really easy to do. You basically just put your base coat, nail polish color (if you want), take the sticker place it where you want on your nail (once the polish/base coat is dry), press down on it, apply a top coat, & you're done! Insta fancy-looking nails! (;

Last edited by facade; April 3rd 2012 at 05:59 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
I'm full of sugar and spice.
I've been here a while

Name: Char

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 3rd 2012, 01:48 PM

Hey!
There's so many things you could do!
But one of my favourites is the Marble effect is great for mixing colours.
ehow.com/how_5524749_create-nail-design-using-water.html
that link shows you how to do it. it looks so cool

Also newspaper nails might be nice, but I don't know whether that's prom-y

P.S. You're dress is gorgeous!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 5th 2012, 11:40 AM

Eeee! This is just up my alley lolz, anyway with that beautiful dress I'd suggest nails that pop but don't take away from the look and I suggest a nice and simple cherry blossom tree with a french tip, I know it sounds really difficult but it's not as difficult as it seems, you just need black nail polish and a toothpick or the little art deco polishes. Get a simple white french tip, then make a sorta curvy line to on side going from the cuticle to the tip of the nail. Make little branches (only a few) and at the end just put 3 small dots of pink (or if you prefer with that dress, light blue) so the dots are touching but int the general shape of a triangle. It'll be cute, and simple, pop, but not take away from the dress Or you could do other people's suggestions haha. Here's a video tutorial for the cherry blossom tree look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06pM0...S2Xceck6lB4%3D

Or

You could also do something even simpler, just get a silver polish, and a blue of your choice, and do a diagonal line from the right tip of your nail to the left of your cuticle in silver and the other diagonal portion in the blue, super simple but it would add a splash of shine with the silver that would compliment your dress. I have no tutorial video for that, but if you're interested I could make one on my youutbe if you needed it

Gah! Sorry this was so long, I'm a nail art fanatic, might go to beauty school after college

You are worth it keep-holdin-on.tumblr.com

"It's all well and good to apologize to me but if at the end of the day I still mean so little to you, then treat me like a puppy and leave me on the street you dumped me on, don't come back to pick me up just so you can drop me on the concrete again." -Cheye Masters

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)

Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion

I can't get enough

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 6th 2012, 06:24 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies.

And Cheye, thanks for the idea. I'll probably try that and see how it comes out. For now I think I'm going with the water marbling technique I found on youtube, using silver and dark blue. But I'll definitely try the cherry tree and see how I like that one.

No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 ------------I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
Skittles Minion

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 6th 2012, 08:45 AM

Your dress is DARLING btw.

Anyway, you're very creative, so I would do something at home. Cheye gave you a link to a specific video, but I'm going to recommend Cute Polish on You Tube. She's great, she does great nail design tutorials, plus you can get tons of ideas. http://www.youtube.com/user/cutepolish?feature=watch

I thought this would look cool, it's a galaxy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EMgt...7&feature=plcp
Just explore, and find something you like.

Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind
- even if your voice s h a k e s. -Maggie Kuhn

Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
ShadowDancing Offline
Screw that, kids.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 8th 2012, 11:45 PM

I have no additional nail ideas - but I just wanted to say that your dress is gorgeous, I love it!

We are not what you think we are; we are golden.
http://porcelainbowtie.tumblr.com

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BethGoesRawr Offline
JustBethReally
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 10th 2012, 08:51 PM

You could try like a deep blue with silver glitter on them OR a Water Marble design.

Water Marbl: Get a pot of water, put a drop of nail varnish 1 in, then nail varnish 2 in the middle of that (and any other colours if you want more than 2). Tape the skin around your nail and put your nail into the water, the nail varnish transfers to your nails it looks very pretty. Colours that could work for this blue blue blue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9A_9FH7e-A <--- Tutorial

(#10 (permalink)) Old
floyd Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 12th 2012, 06:21 AM

I think light pink is best option for you...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion

I can't get enough

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 12th 2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I think light pink is best option for you...
Sorry, but that's a no. I really hate pink, and I don't think it would really go with the navy blue dress. I was thinking more silver and dark blue.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 25th 2012, 06:04 AM

I don't know if you had your prom yet, or not...
But if you did, then... future reference!

If you have a variety of Sharpie (any permanent marker, will work) colors and can come up with a design... do your nail art with the marker!
It's simple and the permanent marker is much easier to control than nail polish.
Here is a good tutorial video, and gives good tips on how to do nail art with marker. (:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Og9p0nm0EHI#!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 25th 2012, 11:01 PM

You can use marker, but the problem with that, even with permanent marker is you can not let your nails touch anything. Not clothes, not accessories, and god forbid your face. Permanent or not, it will rub off, and stay for a nice while on whatever it did rub off onto.

You are worth it keep-holdin-on.tumblr.com

"It's all well and good to apologize to me but if at the end of the day I still mean so little to you, then treat me like a puppy and leave me on the street you dumped me on, don't come back to pick me up just so you can drop me on the concrete again." -Cheye Masters

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)

Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Easy nail designs? - April 25th 2012, 11:57 PM

Oh my lord, that is my prom dress only mine's hot pink. Crazy! I'm doing white, and on my toenails I did a really easy flower (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoobvMBA9hI), and I have white with black print nail sticker things for my hands.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
metalheadjessus Offline
Average Joe

Re: Easy nail designs? - May 9th 2012, 05:31 PM

Crackle polish! You could start off with a base that is the same colour as your dress and then put a layer of crackle polish in a contrasting colour such as black or silver on top. It will crack by itself as it dries. That tends to look quite edgy and nice, and takes little more effort than painting as normal.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Offline
Totally Just Me
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Danielle Faith

Re: Easy nail designs? - May 10th 2012, 02:23 AM

I love doing my nails! I got some fine paintbrushes at the art store to help me do the designs. Just pick something that looks simple enough and go slow. You may need a few days to practice so start trying to do your nails a few days before you prom. Then you can touch up as needed.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
lala47 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Easy nail designs? - May 11th 2012, 04:43 AM

I am a fan of the Sally Hansen Salon Effects nail polish strips because you just stick them on and secure them, file off the excess part of the stick on at the end of the nail and you're all done. Even better, they have some great designs and they require no dry time.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
BriaLane96 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brianna-Call Me Bria

Re: Easy nail designs? - May 18th 2012, 10:51 PM

Well something really pretty & also easy are the Sally Hanson Salon Effects. They have beautiful & really cool nail designs...I'm sure they have something blue. They aren't fake nails....they look like nail polish when you put them on. I'm sure you could find a tutorial on youtube. Check them out! They are awesome.

Closed Thread