TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Money This forum is for support with financial issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Student Loans - June 14th 2010, 01:30 PM

I just feel like hitting my head against the wall because my student loan provider is so stupid. I have a loan through another company and they have explained how the National Student Clearinghouse works to me because my one school didn't use it. The rep for that company pulled up the NSC while I was on the phone and told me the last date of enrollment was listed.

This company is like talking to a brick wall. My school gives me a link to the NSC and I can pull up my enrollment history all the way back to my first college experience outside of high school (and there probably was more but they dropped it because it shows me no longer being enrolled in the school I did PSO.)

So they are waiting for certification from the school. I emailed the school and my mom called the school because she's my cosigner on the loan. They told us both the same thing that they use NSC and the loan provider should be updating their systems regularly. The great thing about the school is they provide me with a link to the NSC and I see they certified my enrollment on 5/27 and again on 6/8.

So I had to argue with the loan provider's call reps and they finally agreed to forward a request to the processing team to check the NSC. Three days for processing and no estimate on how long before the loans will be disbursed. Great?

No. Semester started on the 1st. I have a week before I will be dropped from nonpayment if the loan provider doesn't solve the issue.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Student Loans - June 17th 2010, 06:03 PM

The American school and loan system goes straight over my head so I've no advise I'm afraid.

Just understanding. Talk to pretty much any University student here in England and I think it's fair to say we have all nearly imploded arranging student finance. It's the most frustrating thing, and they can never seem to get it right.

They've left you in a very awkward position, and assuming you have all of the correct paperwork to hand, you should be able to demonstrate to your school that the loan is indeed pending. If this isn't enough for them, then chase the loan company. I know it's tiresome, but this is your education on the line. Pester them, constantly.

And, if it all goes completely wrong and you're asked to leave your course due to non payment, I'd take the loan company to court for compensation. You have a perfectly good case, based on what you've mentioned here.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Student Loans - June 17th 2010, 10:45 PM

And I thought I had loan headaches! I'm sorry they're causing such a headache for you. My loans have literally changed hands 3 times and I just had to re do my MPN on another loan because the school decided to change companies. You'll have to keep calling and compaining until someone listens to you. If they don't fix this issue you become an innocent victim. Loans are a mess, but you aren't alone.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread