TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

How to get the color without the reaction? - October 13th 2013, 05:44 PM

I dyed part of my hair black a couple months ago and I had a really bad allergic reaction to it. I love the color and I want to put more black in so it shows up more with my blondish brown hair. How do I get the color without the allergic reaction to the dye?

Your scars will always tell your story, long after everyone else has forgotten them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: How to get the color without the reaction? - October 13th 2013, 09:35 PM

This might sound like a stupid question but was it something that was in the particular dye you used that you might not find in another dye? You could also try visiting the hairdressers and they might be able to offer you an alternative to getting your hair that colour without the allergic reaction.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: How to get the color without the reaction? - October 13th 2013, 10:15 PM

Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) is usually the reason most people have allergic reactions so I'm guessing this might be what caused it. You could try looking at different brands and see which ones don't have this in the ingredients list. However, PPD is quite common in permanent dyes especially darker ones so you might not be able to find any.

If this is the case you could try semi-permanent dyes as they tend not to have the same ingredients. When using a semi-permanent dye you will obviously have to dye it more often but black tends to fade slower than a lot of other colours. I'm not sure what country you're in but a lot of drug stores probably have own-brand semi-permanent dye you could try or these brands have black semi-permanent dye too : Stargazer, Crazy Color, Directions (called Ebony), Adore and Manic Panic (called Raven). If you search for any of these brands on Amazon or Ebay you should be able to buy them from there.

Before dying your hair again I'd suggest doing an allergy test at least 48 hours before even if you do decide to use the semi permanent dye just to make sure it's not one of the other ingredients you're allergic to.

I hope this helped!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How to get the color without the reaction? - October 13th 2013, 11:02 PM

I am a huge advocate for natural hair dyes. They don't contain any harsh, synthetic ingredients and they don't fade either (usually a synthetic black dye will start to turn brown/orange after a few weeks).

The only downside is that it takes a few hours for the natural dye to develop, so you have to go around with cling film (Saran Wrap) on your hair for a bit. Also, the dyes can feel and smell a bit strange, but you do get used to them.

In addition, you need to make sure you use good quality ingredients (they should say 'Body Art Quality'/'BAQ'), as some cheaper products can be contaminated with metals and other unwanted substances.

In order to achieve a jet black hair colour, you need to use equal parts of henna powder and indigo powder. First you apply the henna (this will come out red), then 2 hours later you rinse that out and apply the indigo. After another 2 hours, you rinse the indigo out, et voila! You will have black hair. Also, not only will you have a great, long-lasting colour, but the ingredients condition the hair so it will feel very soft and smooth.

In order to work out how much of each powder to buy, you need to measure your hair...

(If your hair is curly, measure it when wet.)

200g total powder (so 100g of each) will cover short hair.
400g will cover face-length hair.
600g will cover shoulder-length hair.
800g will cover below-shoulder-blade-to-mid-back-length hair.
1Kg will cover mid-back-to-waist-length hair.

I buy mine online from hennaboy.co.uk, but as you are in the USA I guess you'll want to find an American stockist. As I said before, just make sure it's 'Body Art Quality' and you can't really go wrong.

If you decide that this is far too much hassle, I totally understand. But having used henna and indigo several times now I would never go back to synthetic dyes.

FP x

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
carolmathew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to get the color without the reaction? - October 17th 2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenandcantgetup View Post
I dyed part of my hair black a couple months ago and I had a really bad allergic reaction to it. I love the color and I want to put more black in so it shows up more with my blondish brown hair. How do I get the color without the allergic reaction to the dye?

I love to experiment with my hair and like to change my hair color and hairstyle very frequently.I always feared of facing allergy before applying dye. Had to go through the process all the time I went for dye. I finally opted for Remy hair. These extensions are now in all colors and there is no fear of allergy. I am very happy with my trendy and stylish look.

Closed Thread