TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Curling - March 8th 2014, 10:27 PM

Hey everyone!

I've recently discovered that I like my hair when it's curly. Maybe it's just because it's different, but I like it. So I invested (okay, fine I went on eBay..) in a proper curling wand.

This one:

So I just curl it all, spray with hairspray, tip my head back and run my fingers through my hair to loosen them a little, and then once I have them sitting right, I add more hairspray. And it looks great. Reviews for that particular wand have said it keeps hair curly for as much as four days, and the hairspray is 24 hour hold.
So why, after sometimes as little as two hours, does my hair fall into just being a bit wavy?

Is it because I'm using conditioner so it's just too silky to stay curly? Some people say hair curls better when it's dirty but after 24 hours without a wash my hair gets disgustingly greasy so that's not really an option.

My other problem is keeping them in overnight. For example, I'm working tomorrow morning and don't really want to get up early just so I can curl my hair. It only takes ten minutes, but when it's staying in bed vs burning my ears again... well it's a no brainer.
I'm going to try the pineapple thing tonight (this one) and see if that keeps them in, and chances are I'll get up early to check if it worked and then fix it if it didn't. But that aside, how can I get them to stay in longer, even when it doesn't involve sleeping?

For the record, in case it makes a difference, I'm currently using TRESemme Colour Protect shampoo and conditioner, I blow dry my hair, the wand is also TRESemme and so is the hairspray. Which is supposedly 24 hour but that's a lie.

Help?

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Curling - March 11th 2014, 11:51 PM

Sorry there haven't been any replies yet! Anyways, I think this is a common problem for people with straighter hair. Curls fall out pretty easy in many hair types. There are many products that you can try. Switching up shampoos and conditioners might also be an option, but I'm not sure if the results will be very dramatic. Changing those things up never really does anything to make my hair any different, but it might work for you!

I think what you are doing with the hairspray is a good thing to continue doing! The hairspray should hold, so if it's not working very well, you may want to try out some other types. Straight hair is difficult to keep curly, so there's really no guarantee that anything will really hold your hair for that long. Everyone's hair is different, so what things say on the package might not be true for your hair.

I have naturally curly hair, but I have found that hair mousses and similar products (like gels) work well for me. You could always try something like that! Also, I've heard that pin curls work well for keeping straight hair curly, but the curls that the pins create might not be what you are looking for. You could always do a quick search on pin curls if you want to try it out for a day.

Good luck! Hair can be so difficult sometimes. How did the pineapple thing work by the way? It sounded pretty cool to me!

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Curling - March 12th 2014, 12:18 AM

It's pretty common for straight hair to not hold curls very well. Using a shampoo and conditioner that aren't too moisturizing could help your hair hold the curls. Hairspray is also a great product to use. I also recommend using some mousse after you shower on wet hair to give it some texture which should help hold the curls better. Using a higher heat is worse for your hair but it can also help your hair hold the curls.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread