TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Therapists... - April 19th 2013, 08:39 PM

My opinion... and I'd like to hear other people's, who might be qualified and have perhaps worked as a therapist.

Therapists... are there above all to help certain people integrate into society if they have problems doing so. That's their overall purpose. After all, what use is there for someone who doesn't "fit in" with the system? And it's "the system" that often pays their salary, from what I've seen. What personal ambitions individual aspiring therapists have is slightly different. The fundamental reason why they get employment, is to convert "dysfunctional" people into "functional" people, not to teach people to "find out who they are and what they want, and how to pursue it". If they do that, it's as a side-effect.

There are better and worse therapists.

Like most people. A job is a job. They might start out idealistic at first, and full of "perfection". 20 years later... they often simply start finding it boring. They rarely anymore engage themselves really personally with their client (or patient...?), and work according to their own "standard procedures". Everyone develops "standard procedures" after 20 years of doing the same thing. After seeing several hundred or even thousand people, patterns emerge. Similar people from similar backgrounds have similar problems... so using the same methods makes sense, right? I'm no therapist, but even I find myself giving the same advice to different people in these forums sometimes.

I don't want to undermine anyone's confidence in their therapist. You just have to find a good one. People who are truly good at their job are hard to find in any industry.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Therapists... - April 20th 2013, 06:02 PM

As someone who will be a licensed counselor in just under 2 years, I can see how you might think that, and to some degree you're right. Now, it also depends what the person comes to us for, if they are engaging in criminal activity and have hurt people, then yes we're going to get them to see why they need to change that, but if someone needs to work through something then the self-exploration and discovery come along with the process to assume that I'm going into this field to "fix" people and make them into who I think they should be is entirely wrong and to assume that is disrespectful.

We are taught basic skills, but everyone does things a little differently. As for not connecting with our clients (the client patient thing depends on the exact profession), we are taught to keep our personal stuff out of it as much as possible because the session is about the client, not about us. I would love to sit down with people and have a deep engaging, more 2 sided conversation sometimes, but I'm not allowed. My job is to ask and challenge the client to come to their own conclusions about whatever they bring to me because THEY want to change something about their life, not because I went out and found a bunch of people who were different than me and decided that they were broken.

Everybody has bad days, bad sessions, or gets bored after awhile. Helping professionals are not immune to that, but to assume, again, that we don't work through that or to say that we are not allowed to, because of what we do is not okay.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Therapists... - April 21st 2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Everybody has bad days, bad sessions, or gets bored after awhile. Helping professionals are not immune to that, but to assume, again, that we don't work through that or to say that we are not allowed to, because of what we do is not okay.
Well... my thread is about therapists specifically, although I did say that this applies to almost anyone in any job.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Therapists... - April 21st 2013, 04:19 PM

So, you're saying that therapists are never allowed to have a bad day or get bored because we choose to work with people? Doesn't exactly seem fair to me, especially given that a lot of things we deal with daily involve people venting to us about what's going wrong for them. Listening to enough of that over time would affect anybody, to suggest that we can't allow that to happen to us is unfair. That's what supervision and counseling are for, and yes, we are encouraged to see our own counselors to avoid burn out.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Therapists... - April 22nd 2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
So, you're saying that therapists are never allowed to have a bad day or get bored because we choose to work with people? Doesn't exactly seem fair to me, especially given that a lot of things we deal with daily involve people venting to us about what's going wrong for them. Listening to enough of that over time would affect anybody, to suggest that we can't allow that to happen to us is unfair. That's what supervision and counseling are for, and yes, we are encouraged to see our own counselors to avoid burn out.
Did I say that counsellors are not allowed to?? I don't think I did.

It's not a matter of being allowed to. It's inevitable. And I'll say it again, it's inevitable for almost anyone in any work profession.

I just wanted to start this thread to see other points of views. I know I'm not always in the right. My tone may sound suggestive of whatever. It wasn't meant to be. I also have a very blunt way of saying things.

Closed Thread