TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

If something's for your age does it make it childish - November 24th 2015, 10:45 AM

Like the title says if something's for your age does that make it childish? Like a toy or a game or anything like that. If it says that its for your age group does it make it childish? Or the fact that you have it make you childish?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: If something's for your age does it make it childish - November 24th 2015, 12:30 PM

I think the answer to that would be subjective. In my personal opinion if there's something such as a toy or a game designed for your age/age group, why would it be? If say for example, a 10 year old child was given a toy designed for a 10 year old, it's designed for their age group. It could be argued that the toy is childish but it would have to be because it's designed for a child in the first place. However if an adult of say, 40 years of age was playing with a toy designed for a 10 year old then it could also be argued that it's childish, but it could also be argued that age ranges and age groups for toys are just a guideline and nothing more. Personally I think it depends on the culture and what that specific norm in society deems childish or not. What may seem childish to one person may not to another.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: If something's for your age does it make it childish - November 24th 2015, 08:04 PM

I play with my son and his toddler toys. Toys are meant to be played with, by anyone, that is their goal. The guidelines are there mostly to tell parents if the toy is appropriate for a certain age. You wouldn't give a toy with small parts to a toddler. So the manufacture marks it as 6+. That doesn't mean that ten years playing with it are childish. It just means that the toy was designed, not with toddlers in mind and it might not be safe for them.

Or a board game marked 12+ may have trivia questions that would go over the heads of younger kids. That doesn't mean that adults can't play it just because 12 year olds do.

Honestly if you are having fun, it doesn't matter. And if someone is saying you are childish for having a good time and not bothering anyone, that's an internal issue they need to deal with. It doesn't have anything to do with you.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: If something's for your age does it make it childish - November 24th 2015, 09:42 PM

I agree with Lizzie. A lot of age guidelines are for safety reasons because a lot of toys with small parts can be unsafe. Just because you aren't the age that it lists doesn't mean you should have nothing to do with it. If it interests you and you're having fun, don't let anyone else's words or thoughts hold you back. Just do what's best for you and what makes you happy.

Honestly, picking on a person for playing with a toy or playing a game that is designed for a younger person is childish. Because it doesn't have anything to do with them. I don't think they would appreciate you saying they're childish for participating in a game they enjoy just because it's designed for a younger age group. All that matters is that you are enjoying it and you shouldn't feel guilty or feel like you have to hide your enjoyment.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: If something's for your age does it make it childish - November 24th 2015, 09:42 PM

I agree with Lizzie. A lot of age guidelines are for safety reasons because a lot of toys with small parts made for 10+ can be unsafe for toddlers. Just because you aren't the age that it lists doesn't mean you should have nothing to do with it. If it interests you and you're having fun, don't let anyone else's words or thoughts hold you back. Just do what's best for you and what makes you happy.

Honestly, picking on a person for playing with a toy or playing a game that is designed for a younger person is childish. Because it doesn't have anything to do with them. I don't think they would appreciate you saying they're childish for participating in a game they enjoy just because it's designed for a younger age group. All that matters is that you are enjoying it and you shouldn't feel guilty or feel like you have to hide your enjoyment.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Anonymiousx54 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: If something's for your age does it make it childish - December 3rd 2015, 10:48 AM

I think that you can do or use everything you want as long as you feel comfortable with it xx

Closed Thread