TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
itzz.casper Offline
~Unicorns~
Average Joe

Name: Casper

My name - November 25th 2017, 06:13 PM

Okay so I go by my last name, Casper.

That is how everyone knows me as. But I´m really insecure about my first name.
And for the people who do know my first name, which I will say later, are always.

¨Casper why dont you like your first name. Its so pretty, and so different¨

My first name is well, Keeley. Keeley Jade Casper.

Im just really insecure about my name. Its hard to spell, and pronounce. I got Kaylee, Keilly. Keely, Keleey.

People will spell my name so wrong, and when the pronounce it the struggle to say my name.

And I guess it makes me feel bad on how I can spell everyone else´s name, and when they come to me they are like, okay how do u spell your name again???

I like being called Casper. I been called Casper for the longest time ever. Why change it now?

It like hurts me on the inside about my name. It makes me sick to my stomach tbh.

I dont know what im hoping for outta this but I just wanted to rant????

Idk but thanks for reading this and have a good day or night!!!

I'm not looking for sympathy, just understanding- Jacoby Shaddix <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My name - November 25th 2017, 10:13 PM

Hey,

Thank you for sharing! You know, I think there are people who do dislike their name. I know, I hate my name and used to hate it a lot more when I was younger. People used to mispronounce my name a lot when I was younger and they still do it periodically as an adult. I would have people who would call me Gina and giana and things like that. Also, plenty of people misspelled my name.

As I got older, I did come to appreciate my name a bit more. It's possible that that could happen for you. If it doesn't there are also ways for you to change your name. I don't know how the process works or if it's a hassle. It's something you might be able to look into. At one point, I was considering changing mine but I decided against it.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: My name - November 26th 2017, 12:39 AM

First of all, I want you to know that you should never feel like you have to explain yourself. If you want to go by Casper, then go for it. You don't need to tell people what your real name is, especially if they're not asking. It's your personal business, but I know some people would rather get things out in the open for whatever reason. I applaud you for having that courage!

I think a lot of people hate their names if it isn't a 'traditional' one such as Katherine or Thomas. My name isn't traditional, and it's easy to find me if you know my first and last name. Which is why I've chosen to go by the pseud Jenna online. There's no Jenna (last name) as far as I know, but it's ok because I've let people know it's a pseud.

I think the thing is you have to be careful with is not being outrageously fake and being sensibly cautious.

Again, you should never feel like you have to explain yourself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: My name - November 26th 2017, 06:37 AM

Hi there!

As other members have said, there should be no reason for you to explain yourself and I know a few people who dislike their name so they go by their middle or last name. There's also people I know that go by a nickname that other people have given them so they don't go by their first, middle or last name.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: My name - November 26th 2017, 08:19 AM

Hey there!

I totally get where you’re coming from and I see no issue with using your last name. You don’t owe anyone an explanation. I go by my first middle name whenever I am ordering food, drinks or for dressing rooms because my first name it is always spelt/pronunced wrong. I’ve had the most creative and weirdest spellings when I use it so I’ve found its way easier for me to just not use it if I’m giving a name for food or something. I once had a teacher in highschool who for the entire year, added in a “y” in my name...even though it was spelt without one on her class sheet. She even correct my own spelling a few times with the “y” I gave up with that after a few weeks. Lol.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: My name - November 26th 2017, 10:29 PM

I can definitely relate to this. My full name is Francesca, which is how most people know me (friends call me Chess, but I've never felt comfortable having teachers or anything like that use that name). If people see my name without hearing it said they pronounce it with a soft c, like, Fransesca. If they hear it first, they spell it with a h, as in, Franchesca. When I was younger I can even remember having a friend thinking my name was Franjessica, because my name was so unusual that they struggled to understand it. Whenever I have to give my name to anyone, I automatically spell it out - and my last name, because it's a common last name with a not-so-common spelling. I'm forever telling people how to spell and pronounce it, and to use my full name rather than shortening it to Fran or Franny. It gets a bit tiring.

I have considered changing my name, but the main thing holding me back is that it's a family name, and the one my parents chose for me. For a long time I thought it would be disloyal to change it, but then I realised, I'm the one who has to live with it, not them. If I want to go by something else, I should be allowed to. I have friends who have changed their names - one went by a nickname for the first three years I knew her before she switched back to just using her first name, which was a bit of a change but we all adjusted to it because we cared more about her as a person than the fact that it was mildly confusing trying to think of her with a different name. I've known other people who go by their middle names, or simplified versions of their first names, or abbreviations (e.g. calling someone CJ if their first name is Carl and their middle name is John), or nicknames that have nothing to do with their given name. It's all about what's comfortable for them.

If you don't like your first name, and prefer to just go by your last name, that's totally fine. You don't need to explain to anyone why; it's your choice, and you have to hear this name on a daily basis so it should be something that you like. It's easy for people to say things like "oh, I love your name" or "but that's so pretty and unique!" when they don't have to live with it every day, and feel the frustration of having to constantly spell it out and explain how to pronounce it and correct people who get it wrong. It's your name, and it should be your decision. Do what feels right for you, regardless of what other people think.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread