TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jess

I should be excited, but I'm terrified. - January 10th 2010, 10:26 PM

For these past few years, I was CONSTANTLY talking to my parents about how antsy I was getting in one place. I always told them how I was going to travel the world.

I'm going to NYC for school next year, and living on my own - not in a dorm.
I'm headed to Europe for a few weeks after graduation.
I may be studying abroad in London.

Basically, it's EVERYTHING I've wanted.

But now..my parents are moving to San Francisco.
Which is a stunningly beautiful city, and I told them that if it would make them happy, DO IT.

But we're in the Northeast corridor right now. That's literally coast to coast, across America.

It's exciting - but I feel like I'm going to kind of be floating. I'm going to be in a different world at school - I'm not going to have roots anymore. Instead of a 90 minute drive from school, my parents will be on the other side of the country.

Now that I won't really have my hometown to fall back on, see old friends, old places...well..my sense of ambition is kind of turning into fear haha.

But at the same time, I'm getting a chance to live in two exciting, bustling places practically at the same time. And the last thing I want to do is hold my parents back, after they've sacrificed so much for me.

skydiversinreverse

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I should be excited, but I'm terrified. - January 10th 2010, 11:37 PM

Having emigrated and since moved around the country, the best advice I have for you is to prepare for everything as best you can in the short term whilst also focusing on college next year.

New changes like this can be a frightening for anyone, but once you get there and find your way around you will feel more settled. One thing I would certainly suggesting doing is trying to go out and meet people your own age once you move. It's the best way to make it feel more like home. You may want to try and find a sports club to join once you get there, or something that will get you involved in other people. It will make everything easier.
Also, whenever one moves it can get a little stressful so try to be as patient as possible with other people, emotions will likely be running high, as there will be a lot to sort out!
If you have any more questions, or want to talk about moving, etc, feel free to PM me.
Take care, I hope this helps.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jess

Re: I should be excited, but I'm terrified. - January 11th 2010, 12:58 AM

Thankyou very much =)

It's just I never realized so much would change in such a small amount of time. It's..mindblowing haha.

We're leaving so much behind. Including a horse =(. Which I'm also a bit upset at.

Where did you emigrate from?

skydiversinreverse

Closed Thread