TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

What a day - January 29th 2020, 09:29 PM

So, some scene-setting comments to get the gist of my complaints.

Last week, a co-worker fell seriously ill as he'd caught a stomach bug, so I had to cover his classes. He told me that the assistant manager had asked him to come to the gym (despite being seriously ill, vomiting with a stomach bug) and do the closing procedure with me. I didn't see the point in him driving all the way to the gym, whilst THAT ill, to be there for 30 minutes spreading his sickness bug around the gym, and to then go away again. So, I told him no it's ok just tell me how to close and I'll do it. He gave me instructions and I did as asked.

Next, the manager previously gave us instructions on filling out some forms because our gym is switching to salary payments and gym rent (PT's have to pay rent in order to personally train clients at most commercial gyms). He first put the deadline date as Tuesday 27th January, then corrected as Tuesday 27th February. Naturally I was confused at it being a Tuesday but the only thing that really changed was the month, so I thought I had until February to get all the documents sorted. Yesterday he messages the staff group chat saying the deadline was 2 PM yesterday. Again, naturally I was confused due to his prior comments. So I asked him in the group chat and he basically said that the 28th (yesterday) at 2 PM was the deadline.

During my shift last night, a member approached me and let me know one of the protein shakes tasted funny and kind of lumpy, only to discover it was out of date. I took a picture, took the member's PIN number and informed staff in the group chat. I didn't think anything wrong of it because other staff were using the group chat to inform us if things were broken/out of order etc as well, so I thought it was ok to do the same.

Now that I've set the scene....

So today, as soon as the manager comes in, he collars me, takes me into the assessment room alone, and pretty much gives me what for telling me off for all of these things. He tells me that it wasn't my job to dictate when someone works (despite me doing that co-workers shift as agreed by management in the first place), and that if PT's started deciding when each other should work, it wouldn't work out as we're be coming in whenever we wanted, or not at all. He then makes a claim as if I were telling the co-worker not to come in because I didn't want to catch his stomach bug (as I sat there right in front of him stuffed up with a damn head cold that a member passed on to me last Friday). Me catching the bug wouldn't be nice, but that wasn't even my concern. I was concerned that my co-worker would have to drive several miles, at night, in the pitch black dark, in the rain... whilst freaking puking everywhere. That's a hazard in itself, and then getting to the gym and passing it on to potentially dozens of people, since it was at the busiest time of the night. I understand what he was trying to say, but he was just so wrong in what my intentions were. He made it out as if I didn't want my co-worker to come in so I wouldn't get ill and implied that if I didn't want to get ill, why work at a gym.

Next, he tells me that I was the only one who asked about the confused dates, and was informed by a PT that what I'd said in the group chat came across 'as if I were having a dig at him'. I instantly was like, 'Nooooo!', I was so confused. The only two people I expressed confusion to were two of the other female PT's, one of which is the assistant manager. I never made negative comments about him at all. In fact, he himself said in the group chat that if there were any questions, to ask... so I did just that. I was confused as to why he corrected to February and then suddenly it's the very next morning. All I did was ask for clarification. He pointed out that I was the only person who didn't seem to recognise it as a mistake and that 'Tuesday the 27th isn't even a date' (I actually did and since...you know.. I asked for clarification...). I was the only person to ask because I'm the newest person there! Apart from the ill co-worker, literally everyone else has been there between 1-3 years. Of course they'd have realised! I've been there just over 3 weeks!

Finally, he pulls me up on mentioning stuff like the protein shakes in the group chat saying I should have gone to him directly. And passed off that another staff member had posted about a broken machine not being as much of an issue because it's something everyone can see. I disagreed with him and said that I felt that it was more important that ALL staff members were made aware of the out of date protein shakes so that they can warn members not to consume them. Keeping it a secret just makes things worse. He continues to say, 'I get what you're trying to say, but please come to me personally about those sorts of things in future'.

The way he just went on and on with a list of things that were illogical and didn't make sense. I could tell he disliked that I'd undermined him (even if I didn't know the co-worker was strictly instructed to come in) that as soon as he got into work, he was still in his home clothes and hadn't even changed into his work clothes. He was that annoyed over it all.

I spoke to family about his behaviour and they've all concluded that he's a bad manager. He's younger than I am, and my mum feels that he's too young to be a manager (age doesn't really bother me personally) and has clearly let his position of power go to his head. My brother felt that the reason he told me off about the protein shakes was because he got caught out, I exposed him, and he no longer can't cover the situation up and has to admit he hasn't bothered to check the vending machines properly (only management has access to them).

Another co-worker yesterday said that he's never actually posted anything like that into chat (him asking someone not to say stuff like the out of date drinks in chat and to come to him directly with it) so I likely made him feel embarrassed because he hasn't checked them.

I don't really know what the case was for the whole situation, and I can understand what he is trying to say to me. I already confessed in the very beginning that I was at fault and said to the co-worker not to come in and that I'll sort it, but I also feel like that co-worker should be spoken to because it was their decision to listen to me and not management in the first place. Yes I shouldn't have told the co-worker to come in, but I stand by what I said with the protein drinks, and I stand by the fact ALL staff should have been made aware so they can warn members so they don't get ill.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What a day - January 30th 2020, 10:31 PM

Yeah, what that boss did was problematic. That coworker shouldn't have even been asked to come in in the first place because things like stomach viruses are SUPER easily passed on, plus it's not fair on that coworker to have to drive all that way just to have to drive back after such a short period of time WHILE SICK. Plus honestly, who WOULD want to get sick with a stomach virus? So even if you did tell him not to come in so you don't get sick, I think that's valid.

I'd have asked for clarification on the dates too because there's no way of telling which part is the typo, whether it's the day of the week, the month, etc. It's better to ask for clarification than to assume.

Even the shakes are definitely an issue since consuming things that are obviously expired like that can cause food borne illness which would mean a whole world of trouble both for the gym if they get reported to the health department and of course for the people getting sick. At least now everyone is aware so they can put a sign on the machines, and management can now check the date on the shakes. I agree that maybe he felt embarrassed, but that doesn't give him the right to act like that.

That seems like a mess and it doesn't seem like you did anything wrong here.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What a day - February 1st 2020, 06:21 AM

It sounds like your manager needs training on how to treat staff correctly. It was wrong of them to ask your co-worker to come in when he was so ill. I also agree that you didn't do anything wrong and you were following what the other staff were doing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Re: What a day - February 5th 2020, 11:07 PM

Thank you both very much for what you've said. It really means a lot. It wasn't nice to have to sit there and be told off by a person whose job is to manage not just members, but staff. I know that I did the right thing in mentioning about the protein shakes.

It's clear I stirred things up quite a bit because I came in 2 days later for my next shift and the first thing that happened was there were 3 crates of Grenade choc mint protein shakes on the staff room table, and some mixed fruit energy drinks in the fridge as they were all out of date and they were letting staff take them home for free since they weren't THAT out of date, unlike the one the member brought to my attention. Plus today the assistant manager had a box of peanut and almond protein bars in the office and was letting staff take some since they too were out of date.

It just goes to show how little they checked their stock.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What a day - February 7th 2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post
Thank you both very much for what you've said. It really means a lot. It wasn't nice to have to sit there and be told off by a person whose job is to manage not just members, but staff. I know that I did the right thing in mentioning about the protein shakes.

It's clear I stirred things up quite a bit because I came in 2 days later for my next shift and the first thing that happened was there were 3 crates of Grenade choc mint protein shakes on the staff room table, and some mixed fruit energy drinks in the fridge as they were all out of date and they were letting staff take them home for free since they weren't THAT out of date, unlike the one the member brought to my attention. Plus today the assistant manager had a box of peanut and almond protein bars in the office and was letting staff take some since they too were out of date.

It just goes to show how little they checked their stock.
It's great that you brought it to their attention because, as you mentioned, look at how much stock was out of date.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I can't get enough

Name: Emma

Re: What a day - February 8th 2020, 04:49 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry about all of this and hope that you are doing a little bit better and hope that you will be okay soon.

When you have someone who is really sick, I don't know why you still come to work. You are not able to focus on you're work and you are going to get everyone else sick too. Then everyone is not going to be able to work and it is hard to deal with all of this.

When you are working at a place and you see that something is not right, it is totally fine to let someone else know about this, so that it can be fixed right away. Some people who are managers may not want you to say anything because they can get fired. So they try to hide it and then they have more problems and it can be harder to fix right away. They should do what they we're hired to do. I hope that you do not have anymore problems at work and hope you are doing okay. Sending you hugs.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor, Forum Moderator, Article Writer and Resource Editor. PM/VM

“Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
It’s the rhythm of your life.
It’s the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Re: What a day - February 8th 2020, 08:43 PM

Thank you both very much.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What a day - February 9th 2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Thank you both very much.
How is your job going now?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Re: What a day - February 9th 2020, 11:48 PM

It's going ok. I have a consultation on Wednesday which is exciting.

I'm also going to be teaching more classes soon, including spin... which is not so exciting.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What a day - February 10th 2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
It's going ok. I have a consultation on Wednesday which is exciting.

I'm also going to be teaching more classes soon, including spin... which is not so exciting.
Good to hear about your consultation but I'm guessing you're not as excited about your spin class.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière

I can't get enough

Re: What a day - February 11th 2020, 02:07 AM

No! I have to sit on a spin bike for 45 minutes and pedal... and talk... and keep it entertaining... and pedal some more.... did I mention it's 45 minutes of pedalling and talking!? !