TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Jade Goody 'represented wretched Britain'. - April 7th 2009, 04:13 PM

News article & video [here]

Quote:
Goody, who died of cervical cancer at the age of 27, was regarded by many as a national treasure who overcame the disadvantages of her birth to achieve fame and fortune.

Her supporters included the presenter Stephen Fry, who hailed her as "a kind of Princess Di from the wrong side of the tracks". However, Sir Michael was damning in his judgment of Goody and the media circus which surrounded her in life and in death.

"Jade Goody has her own place in the history of television and, while it's significant, it's nothing to be proud of. Her death is as sad as the death of any young person, but it's not the passing of a martyr or a saint or, God help us, Princess Di," he said.

"When we clear the media smoke screen from around her death what we're left with is a woman who came to represent all that's paltry and wretched about Britain today. She was brought up on a sink estate, as a child came to know both drugs and crime, was barely educated, ignorant and puerile. Then she was projected to celebrity by Big Brother and from that point on became a media chattel to be manipulated and exploited till the day she died."

Opinions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Jade Goody 'represented wretched Britain'. - April 7th 2009, 04:25 PM

Gotta love Sir Michael for being honest about her. It's pathetic but then Britain is becoming more stupid and celebrity obsessed. She had no talent except extraordinary stupidity - East Anglia is not abroad - which is seen as a good thing in today's society, she milked the press although they deserve it and she represents the lowest common denominator. Why work to become famous like Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry or Natasha someone (the actress who just died) when you can be a bigoted idiot and still earn millions

Last edited by Hyper Sonic; April 7th 2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: finishing my sentence :nosw:

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Jade Goody 'represented wretched Britain'. - April 7th 2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Gotta love Sir Michael for being honest about her. It's pathetic but then Britain is becoming more stupid and celebrity obsessed. She had no talent except extraordinary stupidity - East Anglia is not abroad - which is seen as a good thing in today's society, she milked the press although they deserve it and she represents the lowest common denominator. Why work to become famous like Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry or Natasha someone (the actress who just died).

You said it mate

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
Closed Thread