TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 14th 2009, 04:37 AM

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/ph...tB94_KMtA.cspx
Quote:
Members of the U.S. Senate will be in Phoenix to hear how border violence is impacting the region. The Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs will hear testimony on April 20 from Gov. Jan Brewer, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and officials from Arizona communities near the Mexico border. Drug violence has surged in Mexico. More than 6,000 people died in drug-related violence in Mexico in 2008, more than double the number from the previous year. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano -- a former Arizona governor -- plans to send more than 100 federal agents to the border to help combat the wave of violence. Some officials also say that rampant drug-related kidnappings in Phoenix are tied to the escalating brutality in Mexico. The Phoenix field hearing is the latest in a string of similar border hearings held by Congress in recent weeks.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 15th 2009, 07:17 PM

Seal the boarder. What business to Mexicans have in America anyways? I'm sick of hearing the "opening the boarder will helo alleviate world poverty" bullshit, because that's crap. They are poor in Mexico, they will be poor in America. They will take jobs of Americans who desperately need them especially if they come in illegally. Yes, I think the Mexican family who is in need of a better life deserves some help, but I'd rather help the American family first. America needs to focus on helping its own inhabitance before foreign ones.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 15th 2009, 07:23 PM

Janet Napolitano is to blame for the boarder issue did nothing in office to stop the drug trades.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 15th 2009, 07:25 PM

I'd think the drug traders are to blame for the boarder issue. It's America's job to protect America. Annihilate those who try and threaten America with their business, and kick them back into Mexico.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 15th 2009, 07:46 PM

Seal the border? How would you do that? There is already a massive wall dividing them (think Berlin) but Mexicans still get through...

It's both amusing and sad that nobody cares about Mexico , Border guards captured an automatic AA gun there recentlyq

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 17th 2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Seal the boarder. What business to Mexicans have in America anyways?
Well, let's see. Trade, diplomatic visits, holidays, immigration, trucking (if the Teamster's Union doesn't manage to lobby it to death). And how do you plan to do it? The Berlin Wall didn't stop everyone, and they were only trying to stop people from crossing from one side of the city to the other. The USA-Mexico border is almost 2000 miles long. Guarding every inch of it is impossible.

Quote:
I'm sick of hearing the "opening the boarder will helo alleviate world poverty" bullshit, because that's crap. They are poor in Mexico, they will be poor in America.
Because obviously people's economic status has nothing at all with their environment. External factors such as the availability of jobs and credit, wage and price controls, taxation etc have absolutely no effect on how much money people make. If you lived in, say, Somalia, you'd still be living exactly the same circumstances as you are now.

Yes, that last paragraph was absolutely dripping with sarcasm.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 17th 2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Well, let's see. Trade, diplomatic visits, holidays, immigration, trucking (if the Teamster's Union doesn't manage to lobby it to death). And how do you plan to do it? The Berlin Wall didn't stop everyone, and they were only trying to stop people from crossing from one side of the city to the other. The USA-Mexico border is almost 2000 miles long. Guarding every inch of it is impossible.
I don't think some Mexican's 'holiday' is worth violent drug trafficking and illegals taking jobs and not having to pay taxes. not to mention the danger of terrorists coming in through the boarders illegally. Obviously 'seal' was an overstatement meant moreso as heavier guarding and stronger defences and watches.

Quote:
Because obviously people's economic status has nothing at all with their environment. External factors such as the availability of jobs and credit, wage and price controls, taxation etc have absolutely no effect on how much money people make. If you lived in, say, Somalia, you'd still be living exactly the same circumstances as you are now.
If I was uneducated and in poverty in Somalia, I would probably still be uneducated and poor in England, if i were to move there. And again, I find that I would rather protect the American people before other countries. They should focus on helping their poor and their problems before Mexican refugees.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 17th 2009, 01:05 AM

It's not mutually exclusive though. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe CA gets Mexican illegals to pick fruit for below minimum wage. And what about the jobs than US citizens won't do?

You talk about strengthening the border yet that would cost a lot of money to maintain which would come from where exactly?

Quote:
I don't think some Mexican's 'holiday' is worth violent drug trafficking and illegals taking jobs and not having to pay taxes. not to mention the danger of terrorists coming in through the boarders illegally. Obviously 'seal' was an overstatement meant moreso as heavier guarding and stronger defences and watches.
Unless you become a police state terrorists will get in. You seriously think terrorists will use the Mexican border to sneak in, especially if they're drug lords from Colombia, Opiate dealers from Afghanistan or Al Queda fighters? No - these people will enter properly, on a deserted beach or via ship or plane on student visas or something then drop off the face of the earth

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: U.S. Senate to hear of impact border violence has on Arizona. - April 18th 2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
The drug traffickers will get in whether you try to stop them or not, as will the terrorists. They have the resources and the know-how, which is why the cartels have been arming themselves with American-purchased assault rifles. And if you're not going to absolutely seal the border, you won't stop the illegal immigrants, they'll just take another route. So long as people want to cross the border illegally, trying to stop them will be a losing battle.

Quote:
If I was uneducated and in poverty in Somalia, I would probably still be uneducated and poor in England, if i were to move there. And again, I find that I would rather protect the American people before other countries. They should focus on helping their poor and their problems before Mexican refugees.
But you'd be uneducated and poor by English standards rather than uneducated and poor by Somali standards. We've got, for example, a minimum wage, far greater availability of jobs, and more available adult education. With those advantages, they'd do far better in Britain than in Somalia. And why is it a matter of either helping American people or foreigners? Immigration helps both: the immigrant because they get to benefit from the better economic climate, lower crime, better state services etc of America, and the Americans because all these young immigrants are helping to fill the gaping chasm in the pensions system and stopping you from paying 150% marginal tax rate in twenty years' time.

Closed Thread