TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

"Sorry, we can't ban everything that offends you" - February 10th 2016, 07:56 PM

https://www.facebook.com/theguardian...3929506436323/

Today, The Guardian released a video combatting censorship of expression. Saying that, per example, banning Donald Trump from entering the UK won't do anything to Americans voting him for president.

I believe more in freedom of expression than censoring things for a politically 'correct' society. I would rather see and/or hear full truths and honest debates than half truths and everyone backing one person and the people opposing that one person being censored. Censoring in almost any shape or form (Only censoring blood/expletives for younger viewers is what I kind of do have some sort of understanding of) is very disagreeable for me.

But everyone on TeenHelp, what do you guys think? I am also asking you people to watch the video before commenting.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: "Sorry, we can't ban everything that offends you" - February 11th 2016, 08:34 AM

Usually I'm in favor of more censorship, but sometimes it goes too far.
[Edited]
Banning Trump from the UK, I don't really see it much as censorship, I just see the fact that nobody in the UK likes him. They can hear all about what Trump has to say from the TV, it doesn't change anything by petitioning to ban him. It's basically just a way to tell him to fuck off.
The lady talked about people judging and bitching about things before they hear them, and I can agree with that to a certain extent. It's limiting. However, she went on to say that people are judging Roosh V before they hear his rationale (she said it in a more neutral way, just saying that people aren't listening regardless). But his rationale is, "if rape is legal on private property, women will be more careful with their bodies." Fuck that, I read what he had to say, and if that law was enacted, it would just be a way to protect himself from future rape allegations regarding drunk girls. He is a legitimately dangerous person, and should at the very least be put under surveillance. He promised retaliation on anyone who confronted members of ROK.
The principal in general though, is smart. Its better to be informed about what they believe before you accuse them of something. If it turns out you don't entirely know their argument, even if you are right about their beliefs being stupid, they'll take your ignorance of their argument to mean you're dumb. Then they'll think they won.
And frankly, I'm too competitive for that.
Edit: Facepalm at being censored on this thread

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by MWF; February 13th 2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: "Sorry, we can't ban everything that offends you" - February 11th 2016, 10:37 AM

Hi Jordi,

I absolutely agree with what was said in that video. I am VERY anti-censorship. [insofar as 'expressed opinions' are concerned]

As someone once put it, "Your rights end where my feelings begin!" Tragically - more and more people seem to believe that. THOSE people I CALL the 'politically correct'. Very dangerous indeed.

The phrase "know thy enemy" comes from the ancient Chinese general Sun Tzu.

The full quote is:

"Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle."

Craig

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Average Joe

Re: "Sorry, we can't ban everything that offends you" - February 12th 2016, 01:34 AM

For me the only time censorship should take effect is to help keep obscene images/ videos from reaching the youth. After that censorship should be gone. I do honestly feel that society has become weak. Banning or censoring something because it offends you is complete BS. If we do that we will get to a point where we can no longer function as a society because everything will be banned.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: "Sorry, we can't ban everything that offends you" - February 13th 2016, 03:12 PM

Hey there,

I watched the video and I did find it interesting. Banning Donald Trump doesn't stop us from hearing his views through the news, the internet and social media, it doesn't stop his opinions offending us. I think there has to come a point where we are going too far with censorship. Just because we don't like something doesn't mean we shouldn't at least listen to those views before forming our own opinions.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: "Sorry, we can't ban everything that offends you" - February 14th 2016, 04:19 PM

Julie Bindel, the person in this video, is complaining because she has been no platformed by students in the UK. This is not censorship (censorship would be not allowing her to say anything). We weren't telling her she couldn't speak, we were telling her we didn't want her bigoted views on our campuses. There is a difference. If she was truly censored she would be unable to post this video. The reason we don't want her views on our campuses is due to her transphobic views which are harmful to people. This isn't about being too sensitive, this is about legitimately trying to keep vulnerable students safe.

In regards to Donald Trump, again, keeping him out of the UK is not censorship. He has a big enough platform already to make his bigoted, rascist, homophobic views heard everywhere. We don't need to give him yet more space to spew hatred.

No one is censoring these people. If they were, we wouldn't be able to see this video, published by a major news platform.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread