TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 07:01 PM

Cruz and Kasich have dropped their campaigns today leaving us with Donald Trump as the Republican nominee. Thoughts Americans? Thoughts (or judgments) non-Americans?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1234992 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 07:20 PM

1. Nightmare is becoming a reality 2. It seems so planned out 3. NYC wants a rematch and I heard Arizona state does too. Many people believe the election had been rigued. This goes beyond disenfranchisement 4. I'm registered as a third party/independent so I couldn't vote for primaries but I heard Sanders may join Stein (forget her first name) or at least she invited him to. Maybe because Clinton seems to be winning for democrat. So also a nightmare

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 08:23 PM

Bernie's got 18/50. How many does Hilary have?

Time to refresh my British Sign Language alphabet and then get onto the actual words! I began back in October but never got beyond the ABCs.

If that fails, then I could always move to Vancouver.

I ain't even jokin' about England and Vancouver. If you look at my search history since September 2015, you'd see a whole crap-load of England and BSL searches.

But seriously, (not that I wasn't already being serious. ) I am terrified of Trump becoming president. The United States will be so screwed with him as president. The woman who did my teeth today was Mexican and she was such a bitch and I thought it had to do with me... but then I come home and find this out and am like "aw, shit. whoa." because people like her are even more royally fucked. I'd be a super bitch as well if I were Latin American.

I don't know. I feel like we haven't had a properly decent president since Ronald Regan, and I can't even remember his presidency. Other than that he went through an assassination attempt, but I don't even know when that was.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 08:27 PM

God help us, my worst nightmare. I've joked from the beginning that if he wins I'm moving to Canada. The major problem is that if he wins and it turns out as bad as (a lot, if not most) people think it will, it'll be near impossible to get rid of him for at least 4 years. What are people thinking?! Other countries already lack respect for us and think we're a joke, this is SO NOT going to help!

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 08:44 PM

It's rigged with a lot of fraud going on. We're screwed if he wins. We're screwed regardless even if Bernie wins, but Trump will take us to a shit hole even faster.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 08:54 PM

Omg, really? I don't know an awful lot about American politics but have heard quite a bit about Trump. I really don't want him to win. I just can't take anything he says seriously. And yeah, Katie, I have seen posts around the internet saying things like 'Americans think this is an election. The rest of the world sees this as an IQ test'.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 09:02 PM

I mean, I think I'm doomed either way at this point, Trump or Hilary. It's just a matter of which one will doom us more.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 09:58 PM

Sweet. Im going to vote for him

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 10:09 PM

I considered making a separate thread of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMpxsiUg2Q

Everything in that short film is so incredibly fucking true. My only problem is 4 players is too few for this to be accurate.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 10:24 PM

Well, I guess I'll see you all at the United States' first annual Hunger Games.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 10:38 PM

You guys keep talking about moving but all I can think of is the worst traffic jams and even possibly the airline not operating. And don't forget the people who don't have the means to escape. My family left a civil war in their home country and I've heard stories of being trapped. So that's what keeps coming to mind

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 11:05 PM

I don't think I would ever even visit the US if Trump wins the election. I mean, you guys are screwed no matter who becomes president and to be honest even Obama staying another four years would be better than any of the candidates at this point and he wasn't even that good, but sadly you have to deal with either Trump or Hillary most likely and they both will ruin the country if it hasn't been already. Trump is definitely a lot worse though and the sad thing is people actually think he will be good for America. Have fun with the presidential race.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Through My Own Eyes View Post
You guys keep talking about moving but all I can think of is the worst traffic jams and even possibly the airline not operating. And don't forget the people who don't have the means to escape. My family left a civil war in their home country and I've heard stories of being trapped. So that's what keeps coming to mind
He says he wants to get rid of Mid-Eastern people, and anyone from the neighbouring countries. So I think that's should be your biggest concern. As for building that wall around Canada and fortifying the Mexican border after kicking the Mexicans out of this country, we can still escape. Illegally. Though that'd make us the illegal immigrants in Canada, or even on the other side of the Atlantic/Pacific.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Average Joe

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 11:34 PM

The thing people forget its not so much the President we have to worry about. Its congress. Trump won't get too far cuz he has to pass any bill/law through congress before he can enact it. And from what I've heard congress doesn't really support him anyways so not a lot will get done..

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights. View Post

He says he wants to get rid of Mid-Eastern people, and anyone from the neighbouring countries. So I think that's should be your biggest concern. As for building that wall around Canada and fortifying the Mexican border after kicking the Mexicans out of this country, we can still escape. Illegally. Though that'd make us the illegal immigrants in Canada, or even on the other side of the Atlantic/Pacific.
I know my family and I are pretty much doomed and will probably get deported (even though we are legal.). I have an impulse to leave from now and not wait for the results to come out. Lol but to where? The Middle East is a mess.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 11:53 PM

I agree with the bit about Congress. There are a ton of Republicans that do not like him. Glenn Beck and someone else, Eric Johnson (might be wrong about his name) have come out against him. Beck said Trump is too racist for him etc. There are Republicans that are burning their cards or whatever and basically making a point that they won't vote for Trump. Then, supposedly, people have come out and said they knew their was racism within the tea party and they did nothing about it so they brought it on themselves.

The thing I hate the most is that it's gonna be between Trump and Hilary. I actually had hoped that it would be Bernie. He was progressive and wanted to make changes in the health care system and that's my biggest concern.

But, so far most the polls say that Hilary will best Trump. I take that with a grain of salt though. There's one poll that I know of that says the opposite but it's known to be inaccurate.

I think the fact that Trump has gotten this far shows how racist Americans really are though and it shows that more needs to be done in regards to that issue.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jacob

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 4th 2016, 11:57 PM

WHAT. THE. HELL.
I have literally lost faith in the US as a country tbh.

I did some research, and I realized: he doesn't have a chance to win. First of all, the country already has more REGISTERED Democrats than Republicans, and while I'm sure there will be a few exceptions, any democrat in their right mind wouldn't vote for Trump, and I'm sure very few third party or independents would even consider voting for him, consider how polarizing he is, topping it off with the fact that some Republicans will never vote for Trump (a survey said 44% of Republicans would never vote for Trump) Or maybe I'm just telling myself all this because of how scared I am of Trump actually having any sort of power.

I mean I'm am so surprised how it all hasn't collapsed. Even if his policies weren't so...ludicrous, he doesn't have the demeanor to run one of the worlds most important countries. I mean what if we have another Cuban Missle Crisis or some other event that requires immediate diplomacy?

I am also surprised how he has any momentum at all. He was a DEMOCRAT until 2008, so I don't know how any ultra conservatives are still rooting for him, his policies are inherently racist, so any immigrants shouldn't be voting for him-sure it's just Mexico, but really he could up the ante and say non-English speaking country in the world (I know that's an exaggeration but still), the pope has critiqued him, and he is the supposed representative of God on Earth, he said all Muslims should be labeled and kept track off, he questioned John McCain war heroism, he is incredibly sexist (Megan Kelly, Rosie O'Donnell, and the whole Miss USA pageant, not to mention all the women he has called pigs but strangely never to any man), he is homophobic (though admittedly not as bad as the other Republican candidates), transphobic, and don't get me started on his hair.

He is not even that good of a business man! He has gone bankrupt FIVE times, and any economic gains he made where probably with the help of advisors or something. I will say it again:
WHAT. THE. HELL.
Like he can literally say anything, and his hordes of followers will just continue following him no matter what he does.

Welp. I just need to get that off my chest . I'm not the biggest Clinton fan by far (for example, she was against gay marriage until it was cool), but I would still be rooting for her I guess

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pein View Post
The thing people forget its not so much the President we have to worry about. Its congress. Drumpf won't get too far cuz he has to pass any bill/law through congress before he can enact it. And from what I've heard congress doesn't really support him anyways so not a lot will get done..
So true. Congress holds more power than the executive branch. Still.

Yeah, I ain't moving anywhere (although Justin Trudeau is pretty motivating to become a Canadian That face, those abs, that feminism...) but I'm disappointed. Ted Cruz was just as bad as Trump, in my opinion. But Trump represents hate and I was really hoping he wouldn't win.

I'm a Sanders fan, but I'm definitely not #BernieOrBust. Hillary will get my vote easily to prevent this man from entering the white house.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUnfortunately View Post
WHAT. THE. HELL.
I have literally lost faith in the US as a country tbh.

I did some research, and I realized: he doesn't have a chance to win. First of all, the country already has more REGISTERED Democrats than Republicans, and while I'm sure there will be a few exceptions, any democrat in their right mind wouldn't vote for Trump, and I'm sure very few third party or independents would even consider voting for him, consider how polarizing he is, topping it off with the fact that some Republicans will never vote for Trump (a survey said 44% of Republicans would never vote for Trump) Or maybe I'm just telling myself all this because of how scared I am of Trump actually having any sort of power.

I mean I'm am so surprised how it all hasn't collapsed. Even if his policies weren't so...ludicrous, he doesn't have the demeanor to run one of the worlds most important countries. I mean what if we have another Cuban Missle Crisis or some other event that requires immediate diplomacy?

I am also surprised how he has any momentum at all. He was a DEMOCRAT until 2008, so I don't know how any ultra conservatives are still rooting for him, his policies are inherently racist, so any immigrants shouldn't be voting for him-sure it's just Mexico, but really he could up the ante and say non-English speaking country in the world (I know that's an exaggeration but still), the pope has critiqued him, and he is the supposed representative of God on Earth, he said all Muslims should be labeled and kept track off, he questioned John McCain war heroism, he is incredibly sexist (Megan Kelly, Rosie O'Donnell, and the whole Miss USA pageant, not to mention all the women he has called pigs but strangely never to any man), he is homophobic (though admittedly not as bad as the other Republican candidates), transphobic, and don't get me started on his hair.

He is not even that good of a business man! He has gone bankrupt FIVE times, and any economic gains he made where probably with the help of advisors or something. I will say it again:
WHAT. THE. HELL.
Like he can literally say anything, and his hordes of followers will just continue following him no matter what he does.

Welp. I just need to get that off my chest . I'm not the biggest Clinton fan by far (for example, she was against gay marriage until it was cool), but I would still be rooting for her I guess
I am not a Hilary fan. But, the thing with gay marriage, there are a number of democrats that changed their stance on the issue as time went on.

I know that Obama faced some flak in regards to his views on gay marriage. He used to advocate Civil Unions but wouldn't come out and say that he was for gay marriage. He might have even said that he didn't support gay marriage. I found an article that said that view changed in 2012.

So, I am not hugely concerned about her shift. As long as she isn't going out of her way to change the supreme court ruling like Trump wants too.

But, I will admit that Obama's stance on gay marriage was one of the reasons I wasn't a fan of him.

I think that people can change. And, while it might have been to get voters or something...I think the shift can be a good one because for whatever reason, they will hopefully, fight for equality.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 02:01 AM

The way I see it is this: Hillary sucks. Trump's a complete maniac. I can't vote for Hillary because the lack of support and widespread dislike overall for her will lead to disastrous midterm elections in 2018 and possibly allow a complete fuckface like Ted Cruz in for 2020 (I hate Cruz more than Trump). However, with Trump, it would (almost definitely) be the complete opposite; progressives would take back the House and Senate in 2018 AND elect a real progressive like Elizabeth Warren as president in 2020 to make up for the incredibly stupid mistake of picking an unpopular candidate with the super delegates. Is it worth it?
I... don't know. Two years of unrivaled Trump+the Republican House and Senate is still EXTREMELY dangerous. I won't vote for him under any circumstance because giving Donald Trump the nuclear codes is like giving a shark a machine gun, and I'd rather not deal with the almost certain carnage we have to mop up or refuse to mop up worldwide. I do have a little bit of faith that the GOP won't just let him do whatever he wants, though. *pukes in bucket*
I still have the feeling that Hillary put Donald Trump up for this. It's a brilliant plan, destroy the Republican party and set yourself up against the weakest candidate in history, who then would roll over with a wink. But what's crazy is that she still doesn't poll well against him. You must really suck to lose to Donald Trump in any poll, and she loses in at least one. Hell, anyone, including me, could beat Trump if they were the opposing Democrat. But Hillary sucks to such extremes that she might lose and take down the progressive movement with her.
So... Jill Stein, 2016. Progressive House and Senate, 2018. Fuck it. I'm moving to Canada.
(To Breaking Beautifully, below this post: Anyone else who isn't as disliked polls better against him, and Hillary polls the worst of the democratic candidates we've seen)

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by MWF; May 5th 2016 at 10:31 PM.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
The way I see it is this: Hillary sucks. Trump's a complete maniac. I can't vote for Hillary because the lack of support and widespread dislike overall for her will lead to disastrous midterm elections in 2018 and possibly allow a complete fuckface like Ted Cruz in for 2020 (I hate Cruz more than Trump). However, with Trump, it would (almost definitely) be the complete opposite; progressives would take back the House and Senate in 2018 AND elect a real progressive like Elizabeth Warren as president in 2020 to make up for the incredibly stupid mistake of picking an unpopular candidate with the super delegates. Is it worth it?
I... don't know. Two years of unrivaled Trump+the Republican House and Senate is still EXTREMELY dangerous. I won't vote for him under any circumstance because giving Donald Trump the nuclear codes is like giving a shark a machine gun, and I'd rather not deal with the almost certain carnage we have to mop up or refuse to mop up worldwide. I do have a little bit of faith that the GOP won't just let him do whatever he wants, though. *pukes in bucket*
I still have the feeling that Hillary put Donald Trump up for this. It's a brilliant plan, destroy the Republican party and set yourself up against the weakest candidate in history, who then would roll over with a wink. But what's crazy is that she still doesn't poll well against him. You must really suck to lose to Donald Trump in any poll, and she loses in at least one. Hell, anyone, including me, could beat Trump if they were the opposing Democrat. But Hillary sucks to such extremes that she might lose and take down the progressive movement with her.
So... Jill Stein, 2016. Progressive House and Senate, 2018. Fuck it. I'm moving to Canada.
She actually polls well against trump. There is one poll where she is down by 2% but it is inaccurate all the time. It predicted that Fiorina would beat Boxer or something like that.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 05:54 AM

The fringe infiltration - turned mainstream G.O.P. are terrified of the monster they created, not because of the view it espouses, but because they know that the reality of their views cannot survive contemporary American society.

It's a shame that the options will likely be Trump or Clinton, which is basically akin to choosing between being mauled by a bear or cuddling a hornet nest. I suppose I'll be voting for the hornet nest, and spend the next four to eight years wondering why we haven't collectively rejected this two-party system just yet.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
eat sleep rave repeat
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: REDACTED

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 03:30 PM

1) Populist politician states "unpopular opinion" (usually something that's either very racist or just blatantly statistically and/or scientifically incorrect).
2) Said politician's (generally white, less educated, anti-elitist) supporters get mocked in the media and online.
3) "Us vs them" attitude between supporters of said politician and muh PC brigade anti-'Murican liberals intensifies.
4) Populist politician appeals to inferiority/persecution complex of these disenfranchised voters.
5) Populist politician gets votes.
6) Go back to 1).

It's an over-simplification obviously but this is basically things like this happen. The exact same thing has happened here in Ireland with populist independents, in Britain with UKIP and elsewhere. And the cycle is near impossible to break, because people often don't bother trying to comprehend the reasons Trump and views like his are popular. I certainly strongly disagree with him on almost everything, but the fact is that lots of Americans totally agree with him. A certain amount of that is down to bigotry and misinformation, but there's clearly something very wrong with American politics too.

I don't have much else to add for now, though I have to say I got a good kick out of Obama's remark on how Trump would be good for closing Guantanamo because he "knows a thing or two about running waterfront properties into the ground", lmao. The town I partially grew up in is about twenty minutes away from Trump's failed seaside hotel in Ireland so I really enjoyed that.

Last edited by FlowerPunkPrincess; May 5th 2016 at 03:50 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 09:04 PM

I find it absolutely terrifying. Even with my limited knowledge of American politics I know his policies are crazy, and I strongly disagree with pretty much all his views. I really to wonder and worry about what will happen if he gets elected. Here's hoping he won't

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#25 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 09:11 PM

I agree with this and that under this thread, I also disagree with plenty. Probably too much. If I had the amount of time I'd require to go into all of it, I would perhaps do it... although probably nobody would be fked to read it because it'd be too long. Because once I go off... I go OFF.

I urge people to refer to more than their standard sources of media. I urge people to aim to do more than go searching for information in the internet only to confirm their own biases. I urge people to break away from crowd mentality and peer pressure, and do their own thinking. And I urge people to stop shouting over others with opposing views, and actually listen to what they have to say, and try to see and understand things from their perspective.

If more people did all those things... none of this shit would be happening. Not in Europe, not in America.

I'm not quoting myself as the best example, but at least I try. I try pretty hard.

If Trump does not get elected this time round, and things continue the way they have been, then in 4 years from now he will get elected. Or someone else will take his place, possibly even more radical. This is not "rambling". This is real.

All this hatred has been in making for well over a decade, and it's everyone's fault. It is not local to America. It is not because of America's racist history with black slavery. How come? Because Europe is experiencing the same, and we had no black slavery.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; May 5th 2016 at 09:34 PM.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 10:24 PM

^While I agree that you can't listen to any one source of media, whether it be corporate media or the echo chambers people create as alternative media, I disagree that Trump would come back after losing this time. It might sound plausible on the outside, but you have to think about the people in the party with the most power for choosing the candidate. The Republicans would never make the mistake of allowing this to happen again because he's torn the party to shreds from the inside out. The biggest mistake they made was allowing a clown car full of candidates (16 of them) dilute the vote for the nomination early on while thinking the most obvious clown could never win. Now they have 4 years to strategize an emergency plan.
In the Republican party, you have to win (I think) 1237 delegates from the states during the primary elections. If you don't get to 1237, the party basically chooses the nominee themselves. Trump came close to missing the number. I could see him winning the most delegates the second time around but being unable to cross the 1237 delegate threshold that is required to win the delegation outright, making him lose. Would he get to 1237? I doubt it, because his whole appeal is "I win everything" which he can't claim after losing to the most unpopular candidate in democratic history. He would likely have to face one strong candidate who, at worst, would only stop him from getting 1237.
Who knows, the Republican party might actually evolve this time.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 5th 2016, 11:18 PM

To be fair, Congress has far more power than the president has. I was voting age back in 2008 and I will say that people are sheep. "Obama will do this! Obama will do that!" Stuff that the president cannot do. Same with Trump. Not much will come out of it. Remember, whatever the presidential candidates promise they are not bound by their words.

Although Trump seems like a bad joke. A really bad joke.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 6th 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelola View Post
Although Trump seems like a bad joke. A really bad joke.
I think Trump should be taken seriously. Anyone who is capable of making billions, should be taken seriously. Yes, even if they've been given a "small loan of a million dollars".

If you gave most people a million dollars, they'd buy themselves a fancy new car, maybe a better house, go on an expensive holiday, maybe even quit their job, etc. Those kinds of things. Most people would not turn millions into billions. Most people would just fade away instead.

He knows what he's doing. He might be slightly out of his depth running for president, but he's not an idiot.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 6th 2016, 12:23 AM

Sadly, I agree with BDF. Trump knows what he's doing and he knows how to get his way. Even if Congress can block and veto each motion, Trump will find a way to make America under his autonomous control, much like Hitler with Germany back in WWII.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 6th 2016, 01:15 AM

This is all I can even think about when I hear Trump... being in Canada, it terrifies me.

Quote:
Sadly, I agree with BDF. Trump knows what he's doing and he knows how to get his way. Even if Congress can block and veto each motion, Trump will find a way to make America under his autonomous control, much like Hitler with Germany back in WWII.
As strange as it sounds, I can see this happening... Trump is twisted, the things he's said. Obama doesn't like him. I think I read or heard somewhere that Trudeau doesn't even want to meet Trump cause of something or the other (bad or something, disagrees with Trump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterial Rainbow View Post
Well, I guess I'll see you all at the United States' first annual Hunger Games.
Trump wants to put a wall between the US and Canada? Is he crazy?! Canada won't do anything to the US, wait, Trumps thinks Canada is out to get him... (sounds silly) he has some serious issues... He's going to like confine every American in and no one is allowed out it seems like. Walls?

Quote:

To give an answer to your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
Cruz and Kasich have dropped their campaigns today leaving us with Donald Trump as the Republican nominee. Thoughts Americans? Thoughts (or judgments) non-Americans?
I think it all sounds scary and I can't imagine what is going on is everyone's life because of this horrible situation. Trump doesn't even seem mentally stable for the things he is saying and wanting to do. He is scaring everyone about something that isn't there. It's like the Fort McMurrary Fire in Alberta right now, people fleeing there homes and drove right beside the fire, type scared. Trump is scaring people into voting him it sounds like. Somehow, I feel when Trump wins everything is going to shit, that America will be the most affected but other countries too.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#31 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 6th 2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
It's not quite what I meant.

To bring about something like what Hitler did, you need several influential factors to create the right "environment". Just "Hitler", isn't enough. There was back-breaking economic instability, the kind the world hasn't seen since. Additionally, Germany might have gotten torn apart by it the hardest. There was far greater hatred and bitterness after the 1st World War, than what America is currently experiencing. And antisemitism was already rife before Hitler came around. Attitudes towards races/cultures were also... basically none.

Today, I don't think the population is anywhere near pissed off enough for Trump to be able to replicate something like the 3rd Reich in America. The economy has suffered, but there is still a way to go before we reach the lows of the great depression. Antisemitism has gone out of fashion. The only people who mostly support it are paranoid schizophrenics living in their mom's basements trolling the internet. And attitudes towards races/cultures have changed immensely since WW2.

I suppose there are ways to bypass congress. I know little about this. But even if he did manage to do it... he would not get away with 10% of what Hitler did, even if this were his intention (which nobody can be certain of). Not with the way things are currently. This does not rule out the possibility that Trump could "instigate" things, somehow deliberately bring about a recession, blame someone else for it, and at the same time drop a nuke somewhere on his own country, blame the Mexicans, invade them, flip the bird to the UN... but all of this would be very challenging and risky. I'm not sure it's within his, or anyone's scope or influence at the moment.

I really doubt that America is anywhere near as racist as some people under this thread think. It's ridiculous. Whether they like it or not, even the most authoritarian leaders know that they are somewhat answerable to the population (if they have any intelligence in them), and if Trump truly tried to deport all Mexicans... I think some people would be surprised with the amount of opposition he would face.

Like I said, I really doubt that America is anywhere near as racist as some people here think. The fucking problem is people have redefined the meaning of "racism" and have gotten accustomed to calling "racism" when someone says nothing more than "we need stricter border control", or says "give black people jobs, not welfare". Yes... if that's how you define "racism"... then America is extremely racist. Probably even more than NAZI Germany was. This is idiotic. People are being called "racist" simply for supporting Trump, or being called "racist" for getting an Afro hairstyle because it is "cultural appropriation". People need to think a bit harder. I might be going a bit far out with the Afro hairstyle example, but the ridiculous thing is that I think I actually saw some video on MTV's or Buzzfeed's youtube channel, endorsing this mentality. Those are pretty mainstream and influential media outlets, popular most of all with younger people. It might have been about Sombrero hats instead. I don't remember specifics. You should get the point of what I'm saying though.

My point is... as I think I've already said... Trump could not enact anything truly outrageous, because he would face more opposition, even from the people voting for him right now, than most people under this thread think. The misconception is such as for example "people who vote for Trump hate blacks". Many don't. And apparently Trump is getting more black votes, or is rated higher in polls (I don't remember which), than any republican candidate ever has gotten (although I have not checked this myself and don't know how reliable the information is). Similar with Latin Americans.

Finally, it might just be political posturing. He might have been saying all these things, simply just to get votes, without meaning most of it. It's what most politicians do anyway. Like I said earlier, nobody can be certain what his intentions truly are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
Trump wants to put a wall between the US and Canada? Is he crazy?! Canada won't do anything to the US, wait, Trumps thinks Canada is out to get him... (sounds silly) he has some serious issues... He's going to like confine every American in and no one is allowed out it seems like. Walls?
Where you get that from? Did he actually say that? lol

If he really did, then I image a wall with Canada wouldn't be there to keep Canadians out. It'd be to keep Americans in. But this really sounds bonkers.

I doubt he is crazy enough to do that. I think it would have to be longer than the great wall of China. Not practical, unless you are trying to quarantine yourself from some kind of world-wide disease outbreak.

I remember reading something somewhere about some leaked documents which apparently mentioned America's intention to invade Canada during the great depression. The purpose would have been to distract people from the crisis, increase public spending during war time, and re-boost the economy. But then WW2 happened, and all of this happened by itself. Makes you wonder if the attack on Pearl Harbor was genuine. It never made any sense to me why the fuck the Japanese would pick a fight with America that way, and it was that event which mobilized America to join the war.

Personally, I am far more worried of what the next financial crisis will bring. The way I see it, nothing has effectively changed since the last one. In the UK, government cutbacks meant less being paid to universities, and higher tuition fees for everyone in the country. My theory is that this might have actually been motivated by the banking industry, as it forces more students to take loans for further education. This is worth billions per year. Just a theory though.

Some scapegoats were found, lots of noise was made in the media for as few months as possible... then people started getting spammed again with other non-news like Kardashians, or stupid race bating on fox news, or Afro hairstyle/black appropriation nonsense (also race bating in my opinion). These are all distractions I think. The next financial crisis could quite possibly create the sort of environment which would enable Trump (or anyone in his place) to enact totalitarian policies. It could be right-wing policies, it could be left-wing policies. I'd rather go live in the arctic than live under any such regime.

Last edited by BDF; May 8th 2016 at 09:05 PM.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 7th 2016, 01:04 PM

It seems I killed the thread. Again.

Here is an interesting article on why some people vote Trump:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-...025749304.html

And why some people vote Clinton.

I am wondering how much of the same might have been true for Sanders. I have no idea.

And I wanted to pull this comment out of the comments section under the article:
Quote:
Every four years we argue and [put up with bluster by phony candidates who promise us all sorts of things, JUST so they can get elected. Then we wonder why nothing gets better--- jobs, wages, healthcare, the economy, world crises, etc. Example? The U.S. beat Japan and Germany in a war that spanned the Globe, in 3 years, 8 months. NOW, we cannot beat down a revolt in Iraq and Syria over 14.5 years, against a ragtag bunch of "untrained" rebels who lack a navy or air force---seem strange? We are propping up a defense industry with billions to trillions of dollars with this war. In 2007- 2009, we propped up the BIG banks (too big to fail), with billions of dollars. Why didn't we just help the HOMEOWNERS keep their homes instead??? "OUR" government does NOT work for its own citizens. Look at he care returning veterans get at the V. A. hospitals!! Does anyone else think it is time for a change? Apparently so-- that is why Trump beat out so many "professional politicians", and why Bernie gave Hillary a real race. People across this country are saying they WANT a change in how ouir government runs, and here is the answer---VOTE OUT the incumbents in Congress, in BOTH parties. SEND a message this year--CHANGE CONGRESS comp[lately!!!
I probably agree with all of it. Especially that America lends the impression that it wouldn't be able to stay afloat without some sort of war going on to support it's economy.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 7th 2016, 04:09 PM

I voted for Bernie Sanders, but not because of a blind hatred of HIllary Clinton. And if and when Hillary gets the nomination I will vote for her but I won't be only to block Donald Trump. I don't want Trump to win, but Sanders and Clinton better match my ideals and fight for the issues I care about. I am particularly unhappy with some of Clinton's choices in foreign policy (voting for wars we shouldn't have been in, die-hard support of Israel, etc) but she also advocates for women's rights. So it's about more than preventing Donald.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 7th 2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
I voted for Bernie Sanders, but not because of a blind hatred of HIllary Clinton. And if and when Hillary gets the nomination I will vote for her but I won't be only to block Donald Trump. I don't want Trump to win, but Sanders and Clinton better match my ideals and fight for the issues I care about. I am particularly unhappy with some of Clinton's choices in foreign policy (voting for wars we shouldn't have been in, die-hard support of Israel, etc) but she also advocates for women's rights. So it's about more than preventing Donald.
I've been looking into Hilary a bit more because she's likely to get the nomination and if I'm going to vote for her I want to know what she is all about.

My biggest concern is Healthcare and while she doesn't want to do what Sanders does she does want to try and stop pharmaceutical companies from being able to charge so much and she wants to build on ACA. It's not what I hoped for but sometimes change has to happen slowly. And, maybe more people would be open to changes in Healthcare if it was slow. This is probably a while other topic though. But, I'm not just voting for Hilary to block Donald which is why I'm doing more research and all in all Hilary has more ideas that I can stand behind.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 9th 2016, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post

If Trump does not get elected this time round, and things continue the way they have been, then in 4 years from now he will get elected. Or someone else will take his place, possibly even more radical. This is not "rambling". This is real.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point. American demographics are changing at an accelerating and profoundly diversifying rate. This fact, coupled with the fact that Trump's candidacy could very well create an irreparable fracture in the Republican Party, mean that a Trump loss would likely encourage the GOP (or whichever the strongest faction that emerges from it will be) to choose candidates who are equally suggestive, though not as bombastic.

By the time we reach the 2020 presidential election, children born in the late 90's will be voting, and if current voting trends continue, then they will be voting overwhelmingly liberal. Concordantly, the base support of Trump (angry, middle-aged, uneducated caucasians) is a demographic facing shorter life expectancy and ever-weakening electoral power.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 9th 2016, 03:22 AM

Yeah Trump is a billionaire- which means he should be taken seriously (very competent,intelligent,etc.)- --but that does not mean that he is all powerful and that he is going to be like Hitler, deport Muslims/Mexicans, etc. A lot of what people fear about Trump is simply unreasonable. I mean it rises to the level of unreasonableness that Glenn Beck put out there about Obama when he first became president. Simply ridiculous fear mongering. Not saying that anyone should vote any way or the other. Just pointing out the obvious. I respect Trump as a person more than Hilary. If she wins, that will hold some weight in who I vote for.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 9th 2016, 04:00 AM

I literally have a panic attack thinking about Trump being president. How much power does the president really have? And his supporters? The power behind him blows my mind...

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#38 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 9th 2016, 04:27 AM

I firmly believe that it is in the long-term interest for progressives to make Hillary lose based on historical precedent. Seriously, bear with me on this.
Something worth noting: An American political party hasn't had consecutive two term presidents since the 1800s. I have no reason to believe that Hillary, with her levels of unpopularity, would get re-elected in 2020 to break that trend. Also, no party has EVER gotten three presidents in a row, so we wouldn't have a real progressive to look forward to until likely 2024. And you guys remember how Obama came into office, couldn't improve the country as much as we hoped, then the Tea Party obliterated the democrats in the 2010 mid-term elections? And when Bill Clinton lost Congress almost immediately in 1994? Congress will further solidify as conservative if she is in office because even though our country isn't exactly in the shitter, people will think it is if there isn't a massive economic improvement (note: Hillary DOESN'T advocate for massive economic change, and thats actually how she criticizes Bernie). They'll vote for more crappy conservative congressman, and things will get worse. Because Americans know so little about politics, they will allow a Ted Cruz type to be president in 2020 while voting in more idiots for Congress. Cue the end of the world.
This next paragraph is my own speculation, and I'm sure I didn't account for some very important things. From a progressive standpoint, I think getting Trump in office could possibly be better for the progressive movement than even Bernie as president. Bernie got the ball rolling, but if he was president next year, he wouldn't have enough progressive congressmen to be as effective as he could be. On the other hand, every politician hates Trump. Trump can't do the astronomical amount of damage he would normally do without congressional support, right? Trump choosing supreme court justices is terrifying and so is having him as commander in chief. Horrifying. But if he does a terrible job, which he will, we'll get the first wave of progressive congressmen in 2018. We'll get the second wave in 2020, along with someone like Elizabeth Warren as president. With allies in Congress, she would be extremely effective, possibly carrying in a third wave of progressive congressmen in 2022. Because 2024 is a presidential year and more people come out to vote, we'll also get MORE progressive congressmen. We'll have everything we wish for on this site: improved health care, education, women's rights, environmental protection, less war (presumably after patching over Trump's mistakes though), etc. She'll win re-election. The modern conservative movement will have faded away and evolved into something more reasonable because they won't be able to keep up with success the left wing has. The only way they could stop the progressive wave is by changing to a better alternative. But if I'm right, Trump, through his own jackassery, will have accidentally ushered in a new golden age for America.
But dear God. Hide the fucking nuclear codes.

(still keep in mind that I'm voting for Jill Stein and not Trump to keep my conscience clear)

(#39 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Donald Trump is the Republican nominee - May 9th 2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point. American demographics are changing at an accelerating and profoundly diversifying rate. This fact, coupled with the fact that Trump's candidacy could very well create an irreparable fracture in the Republican Party, mean that a Trump loss would likely encourage the GOP (or whichever the strongest faction that emerges from it will be) to choose candidates who are equally suggestive, though not as bombastic.

By the time we reach the 2020 presidential election, children born in the late 90's will be voting, and if current voting trends continue, then they will be voting overwhelmingly liberal. Concordantly, the base support of Trump (angry, middle-aged, uneducated caucasians) is a demographic facing shorter life expectancy and ever-weakening electoral power.
Generally, younger people are usually the more liberal ones, throughout history I think, in most places where you go. However, this has not prevented politics from oscillating left/right every decade or so.

People tend to become more conservative as they grow older. The late 90s generation is also likely to become more conservative.

Also, plenty of people support Trump who aren't middle-aged angry whites. Many younger, poorer white people, also support him. There are quite a lot of poorer white people, and they've not only been hit by poverty, but also been hit by liberals telling them that they are undeservedly "privileged", and they are at the losing end of things like affirmative action schemes. At least, that certainly is how they feel. Of course they are angry, and there are a lot of them. It was a bad idea to anger them. Also, they generally don't have the money to go to universities/colleges, which also means they get much less exposed to liberal ideas, and are less likely to support them.

Plus, it is generally the case that in the instance of economic crises/poverty, liberal politics decreases in influence (as it is generally incapable of handling economic crises), and right wing politics increases in influence. This part is not my opinion. I can't quote a source (I don't remember, and don't have time to look), but it's a relatively well known liberal/conservative trend. If you search on youtube or google you will find this information.

Liberal = more wealth distribution, coupled with slower growth
Conservative = less wealth distribution, coupled with faster growth

That is obviously a big simplification though, and so almost looks stupid. Clearly both are needed... but when there is an economic crisis, liberal politics does not help much. Having conservatives in power too long results in less wealth distribution, and fast economic growth... which is also known to be just generally unsustainable in the long-term. Both ideologies are generally unsustainable on their own in the long-term. Too much socialism just kills off most of the ambition people have got: everyone equal, no individualism. Too much capitalism will have you breathing ash instead unless you can afford a ticket to Elysium (from the film).

It's not quite as simple as saying "banks are to blame --> fuck capitalism & conservatives" like I've seen some people do. The real complexity arises from the fact that the banks are in fact more powerful than ever, rich/poor divides are further increasing, and this all seems to have skyrocketed under liberal political leadership. This is right-wing economics gone rampant. I don't understand how liberals could have allowed this (I'm guessing some sort of corruption or incompetence is to blame), and for that reason I'm also not convinced that some right wing party is capable of addressing this. I'm genuinely lost here. But if liberals failed, then pretty much the only other option left is conservatives. Simply redistributing wealth via taxes and welfare is not solving the problem. All it looks like to me is more political posturing. The entire system is so incredibly biased towards taking loans to buy anything. That's were the real wealth redistribution is happening, and it's one directional, and multiple times larger than any tax scheme which apparently "targets the rich" somehow (and is completely ineffective in solving the problem I'm talking about). Wealth is still moving from the bottom to the top. Loans for everything, interest, risk, re-sale of loans... and if the risk doesn't pay off, the government pulls the bank out of the shitpile with money from taxes paid by everyone. It's win/win situation.

People have lost the concept of actually saving up money to buy something. This is also cultural. All this "must have the latest smartphone" mentality. People just take loans to buy almost everything now. More money and profits going into the banking system.

If I was of the impression that any form of current socialist leadership were capable of abolishing the corruption in the banking sector... I would actually support it. But "taxing the rich" isn't, and will not changing anything. The system itself needs to be brought back under control instead. This growing rich/poor divide and economic instability could result in something much worse than "socialism". Unfortunately, all this liberal politics and socialist thinking, doesn't appear to have solved the problem at all. It has just gotten worse. Interest rates are already at 0%. They can't fall any further. If another crash happens (and they always do)... I am pretty sure everyone will be fucked several times worse than during the last one. Worst of all, almost nobody is talking about it. Things are so quiet on the topic, that it is almost suspicious. There is a very good reason for people to panic, and I think it is just that: the people in charge want to prevent a panic.

And economic instability, like I said in my earlier posts, could very well form the kind of "environment" which Hitler needed to take power. America might not necessarily be the country it happens to. There are plenty of other countries in Western civilization.

Last edited by BDF; May 9th 2016 at 11:30 PM.

Closed Thread