TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Why is Russia so great? - July 14th 2016, 08:21 AM

For a while I've been trying to figure out the mentality behind a certain subculture in the West, which appears to idolize Russia and Putin as if he were the 2nd coming. Any criticism of that, is shot down with extreme prejudice: comments flagged, abuse, bans when possible, etc (typical behavior of any fanatic of any belief online).

I'm sure most people have come across this mob of fanatics online. There might even be some here. I've not noticed them to be correlated with left-wing politics though. I'm not sure what politics they support, because I'm not sure what these people even want. It might be fascism... although I am guessing at this stage.

Any explanation? Any rational explanation (not "they're idiots"). I'm lost. The only sense I am able to make of this, is that these people "hate" the current establishment so much to such irrational and thoughtless lengths, that they will support anything that apparently antagonizes the existing establishment (which has been Russia throughout modern history). This is how I also think ISIS recruits people in the West. Key difference here being that Russia isn't recruiting these people. Putin doesn't give a toss about them. But I get the impression that if Putin were to issue a threat like ISIS does, and say "we will bomb American cities", then you'd get a handful of these cretins actually attempting to do just that.

And what precisely are the reasons they think Russia with Putin in charge, is so much better than America, or any other Western country they like comparing with Russia so much?

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; July 14th 2016 at 09:35 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why is Russia so great? - July 14th 2016, 12:18 PM

Maybe it's because people almost always think the grass is greener on the other side. Humans are never content and always think someone must have it better. I'm not really sure. I have yet to encounter people who love Russia

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why is Russia so great? - July 14th 2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernManiac3 View Post
Maybe it's because people almost always think the grass is greener on the other side. Humans are never content and always think someone must have it better. I'm not really sure. I have yet to encounter people who love Russia
Usually it happens by accident that I stumble into an enclave with Western Putin supporters on the internet. This time I actually searched out deliberately a video which shows what I mean, although it is still not the best example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvA-U18Nhjc

Just going through the comments, you'll get a vague idea of what I mean.

I despise political correctness, but in my opinion some people are mentally ill if they think Putin is any better in that regard, simply because he apparently "doesn't do" political correctness.

Putin has his own brand of what effectively is also "political correctness". It involves things like never criticizing him in public, otherwise you could get assassinated. Putin also uses "political correctness", he just does it differently. Difference is that he targets different social groups with it, and is far more extreme about it (assassination, prison, etc.)

The more I think of it, there more I think these supporters are by majority some sort of aberration of the far-right. This website is more liberal/left politically. So there probably aren't many people like that here, if any.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; July 15th 2016 at 12:15 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Why is Russia so great? - July 18th 2016, 12:50 AM

It could be this: Russia has a massive army of internet trolls. Most of Putin's support online might be a sham.
An excerpt from TYT (The Young Turks) about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CussBbmJHzI

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Why is Russia so great? - July 18th 2016, 04:08 PM

I honestly have never encountered this or anyone who really thinks Russia is so great.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why is Russia so great? - July 18th 2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
It could be this: Russia has a massive army of internet trolls. Most of Putin's support online might be a sham.
An excerpt from TYT (The Young Turks) about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CussBbmJHzI
Makes sense. Every place where I've encountered these "trolls", has been a mainstream media outlet. Mostly news websites in fact. More often politically right wing news than left wing news. I'm guessing they're targeting right wing perhaps because of how easily those people are manipulated at the moment. There's a lot of anger and emotion, and much less thought. It's easy to manipulate a crowd like that. It's what I'm worried about with people like Trump.

I don't have to hide my opinion. I want to reduce the stranglehold liberals/leftists have had on politics for over a decade across America and Europe. Anything in power for too long ends up corrupting itself. But these guys on the right are acting like idiots half the time. Liberals want to let keep letting more Muslims in. Right wing wants to ban them all and deport them. I don't know which is worse. I hate this tug of war. Nobody is thinking. People are just trying to spite one another in a pissing contest of who can make the most controversial/divisive statement.

Too emotional. Easily manipulated and exploited. Exploited by people like Putin. Or Trump perhaps. It's the main reason why I'm skeptical of Trump. But if he didn't take advantage of the situation, perhaps someone else would. Perhaps he knows this, and just playing rough to win the race and hold off potential competition. Although I won't pretend I fully understand his strategy.

Last edited by BDF; July 19th 2016 at 10:46 AM.

Closed Thread