TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Brittney Griner vs DeMarcus Cousins - August 19th 2016, 04:13 PM

I would like to get a general idea of opinions on this matter. The other day Britney Griner, a WNBA player on the U.S. Women's team, said she would beat Demarcus cousins 1v1. Demarcus cousins is an American center and arguably the best in the NBA at his position. Grindr wasn't joking either or just messing around, she was serious. Cousins responded with "I like her confidence, but she's a little delusional.". Grindr responded saying that that was his way of coping with her being better and then called him a little man.
I have a lot of complaints about this. First of all, this is the Olympics and you are both on team USA. Griner never should have said what she did and I can't blame cousins for responding. Secondly, there is no chance in hell Shriner could even come close to cousins. I'm not being sexist, but male athletes usually play at a higher level. You could take a college team or even a good high school men's team, put them in the wnba, and they would dominate. I'm not trying to discredit the women at all. It's incredible how good they are. But they cannot be serious when they say they could beat the men. If they could, they would be playing on the same league. If you are unfamiliar with these two individuals or don't really know basketball all that well I'll try and explain why cousins would walk all over griner. Cousins is almost 7 feet tall compared to griner at 6'8. His jump shot is good, his ball handling is good, hi speed is good, he is all-around a great player. Griner, on the other hand, relies on being bigger and stronger than all the other women. For her size and strength she should really be getting ridiculous stats which she isn't.
Another problem I have about this is that griner for a lot of female athletes is seen as a hero. She stands against the cocky man and trash talks and is seen as a role model for confidence by many. Yet, she has had domestic violence charges brought against her by her ex-wife. If cousins beat his wife he would be rightfully shamed and disgraced. That is unacceptable for anyone. But griner is still looked up to. Why?
All in all I think it is unfair to male athletes and especially male athletes my age. I play varsity soccer and I like to think I'm quite good. The team I play on is good albeit not the best, but still, a pretty darn good team. Our varsity girls team is good too. They, like my team, challenge for titles and perform well. But, because of people like griner, they tell us how much we suck and are terrible. Not all of them but they feel as tough we couldn't beat them and they can run their mouths all the time. I'm good with trash talk if we are allowed to play. Both our teams wanted to okay each other and trust me, we would have mercy ruled them. But our athletic director didn't want us to even just for fun on our own time because he didn't want their confidence to be hurt. How is that fair to my team? We can't say anything back or even play them to spare their feelings. This is a rather mild example but it happens on a much worse scale. I watch someone's team play and will faithfully cheer them on. But it's hard to like them when they feel the need to bash the men anytime they have any success.
I'd really like to get everyone's opinion on stuff like this. Thanks for your time

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Brittney Griner vs DeMarcus Cousins - August 19th 2016, 04:53 PM

I think there are women that could beat the male players. I don't know if this person could. But saying 'if they could beat men they would be on the male team' is rather false.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Brittney Griner vs DeMarcus Cousins - August 19th 2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I think there are women that could beat the male players. I don't know if this person could. But saying 'if they could beat men they would be on the male team' is rather false.
How so? There is a reason that there are separate divisions. I'm not being sexist or incorrect in any way by saying that the typical body of a male is physically stronger to a female body. It's simply basic anatomy. This woman is considered to be one of if not the best women basketball player in the world. The man is also considered a top player but not a top 10 one. In his position he's great but all around there are much better players. In 2012 I believe, right after the USWNT had just won the gold medal for soccer they were scrimmaging the under 17 boys team for the U.S. This was the same team that won gold in 2012 and won the world cup in 2015. They were playing Hope Solo, Alex Morgan, Abby Wambach, the whole crew. They lost 8-2 to a bunch of 15-17 year olds. I'll try and find a link to it to give you if you want. In sports such as football, soccer, basketball, hockey, baseball, lacrosse, Tennis, handball, waterpolo, swimming, and in track ad field, a male playeror team ranked 200 in the world could beat a top 5 womens palyer or team. I watch sports obsessively and if it wasnt the case I would not be saying so. Even top female athletes such as Serena williams think that it's ridiculous to believe that she could beat a male tennis player in the tour. I watch womens sports and to be honest the quality of play is noticeably lower. If you aren't into sports that much then you might not see it at first but keep watching and you'll realize the differences. I would like to know why you think it's false that if the women athletes at a top level could beat male athletes at a top level, they wouldn't be playing in the same division. If they were just as physically strong why don't they play together?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Brittney Griner vs DeMarcus Cousins - August 19th 2016, 09:43 PM

No. There is no way she would beat him. I tend to hold some feminist views, but playing in the NBA provides you with MUCH greater competition than the WNBA. It would be an absolute slaughter, actually.
Granted, I don't really know who either of these people are, but if you're comparing the supposed best player of the WNBA against the best player of the NBA (Actually, I don't think I've heard of Cousins) then I would take the NBA 999 out of 1000 times. That one time would involve a freak accident that breaks a leg.
I don't think a great high school team could handle a WNBA team, but I think they could beat several college teams. Women's college basketball bores me to tears because nobody scores, and that's why UConn murders everyone every year. They're WAY better than everyone else.
Sports aren't a realm where I'm typically a feminist. There are very real physical differences between guys and girls. All things said though, I've seen girls beat the shit out of guys in wrestling and we had a girl lineman on our football team who could regularly pancake defensive lineman UNTIL high school.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread