TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Are the Police Racist? - August 28th 2016, 09:41 AM

I try to avoid posting videos with no commentary of my own, but this really says everything I have to say, and more. No commentary is needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo

And the comments below the video are pretty reasonable as well.

BLM would gain more credibility with more people, if they stopped pressing false accusations that the police are deliberately targeting black people. Black people, and most ethnic minority groups in general, face problems such as poverty, crime etc (and everything else that goes with that). If BLM focused on real problems, they would have more support, starting with me.

The cherry on top was when BLM started protesting in the UK a few weeks ago. UK police do not even carry guns, so yes, they latched onto other isolated cases of police use of force, like some black individual getting tasered who I think happened to have an existing heart condition. And this is apparently "racist". This is just too much stupid for me.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Are the Police Racist? - August 28th 2016, 06:33 PM

Well, look who made the video. The Manhattan institute (which the speaker is a part of) is a conservative think tank. In America, conservative think tanks are almost always just there to prop up somebody's profits. In this case, they might not want the system to change for a variety of reasons. For example, one of the reasons America imprisons so many people is because it makes tons of money for the prison-industrial complex.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-usemeinstead/
In America, YES, cops are racist. And its extremely obvious, ask pretty much any black person how they've been treated by cops in the past. Hell, I've been apprehended by police before, and they literally said to me, "If you weren't a clean-shaven white kid, we'd haul your ass to jail."
The video said a police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than the other way around. That's completely misleading. In 2015, 42 police officers were killed in all (not just by blacks). In 2015, 1134 black men between the ages of 15-34 alone were killed. Quickest data I could find shows there are 765,000 active police officers in the US, and 37 million black people. So that's a rate of 0.000055 for cops, and 0.00003 for black men aged 15-34. Relatively even, but thats for a single age group. Regardless, they cherry picked the numbers because for a smaller number of people, the rate will be higher. That's what they do on Fox News (especially Bill O'Reilly), but they usually just say, "Weren't more WHITE people killed by cops this year?" Yeah, no shit, because there are more white people than black people. I don't know where PragerU got their numbers, but they don't seem to add up for that one. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oung-black-men
There are also studies that show a bias in target practice shooting. The study showed that cops show a quicker reaction time to shoot black people than white people. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...bias-shootings
I could probably refute every point made in the video. Like how conservative policies fuel black on black crime in the first place: gutting inner-city schools, Reagan's Iran-Contra scandal that flooded inner-cities with crack, an extreme excess of guns, cutting welfare, NAFTA pulling out good jobs (made by a supposedly liberal president) from cities like my own, crushing the economy... The problems black people face in their community are based largely in economics, education, and because of those two, the drug war. I have seen studies showing that as cops become more aware of the racism, they shoot black people less, which is of course, good. People then go on to say, "See? They shoot more white people!" Well, maybe they should stop shooting people in general. Our police act like opposing armies, driving around everywhere armed to the teeth.
You can't trust American conservatives. The conservatives in charge spew misinformation while the conservatives who listen become completely brainwashed. And contrary to popular belief, there isn't actually popular liberal (news) media here. All our corporate media is fiscally conservative, because that earns them money. They are corporations, they have a business interest in how the news is portrayed. It wouldn't be smart financially to break that trend because it would cause problems with the other higher-ups. There are socially conservative media stations (Fox) and there are stations that sway with public opinion, like CNN or MSNBC. And while they might investigate problems, you can't trust them either because they don't actually do anything to solve problems. The only popular liberal news outlets I can think of are The Young Turks and Huffington Post, both based online.
I wouldn't know anything about the UK's BLM movement. I doubt their problems are anywhere near as serious because they don't have the gun problem.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Are the Police Racist? - August 28th 2016, 08:17 PM

Think of it this way: Is everyone a racist? No. Are there some racists, a lot of racists, yes. So you can't just label every single cop as a racist. Some are, some aren't.

I'm from America, the metro Detroit area in Michigan. I've noticed black cops who are racist because I'm white. I've noticed white cops who are racist against black people.

The thing with BLM is that I get its not saying they are the only lives that matter, I get that, but a lot of people from that group claim they have it worse than everyone else and that's complete garbage, at least in my area.

There are other races where people can barely walk outside in America because people assume they are terrorists after 9/11. I've witnessed way more hate crimes towards these people more than black people. I'm not saying they don't have it bad, I'm saying other races have it just as and or worse and this whole BLM thing is honestly just another war between white and black people and I think its absolutely ridiculous because black and white are not the only two races. Racists exist no matter what particular race a certain person is. Race does not define if you are a racist or not. Your occupation does not define you as a racist (for the most part.)

I'm all for equality, but if you want my help getting it, don't label me as a racist before you even get to know me. Just like we shouldn't label every single cop as a racist.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Are the Police Racist? - August 28th 2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Well, look who made the video. The Manhattan institute (which the speaker is a part of) is a conservative think tank. In America, conservative think tanks are almost always just there to prop up somebody's profits. In this case, they might not want the system to change for a variety of reasons. For example, one of the reasons America imprisons so many people is because it makes tons of money for the prison-industrial complex.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-usemeinstead/
In America, YES, cops are racist. And its extremely obvious, ask pretty much any black person how they've been treated by cops in the past. Hell, I've been apprehended by police before, and they literally said to me, "If you weren't a clean-shaven white kid, we'd haul your ass to jail."
The video said a police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than the other way around. That's completely misleading. In 2015, 42 police officers were killed in all (not just by blacks). In 2015, 1134 black men between the ages of 15-34 alone were killed. Quickest data I could find shows there are 765,000 active police officers in the US, and 37 million black people. So that's a rate of 0.000055 for cops, and 0.00003 for black men aged 15-34. Relatively even, but thats for a single age group. Regardless, they cherry picked the numbers because for a smaller number of people, the rate will be higher. That's what they do on Fox News (especially Bill O'Reilly), but they usually just say, "Weren't more WHITE people killed by cops this year?" Yeah, no shit, because there are more white people than black people. I don't know where PragerU got their numbers, but they don't seem to add up for that one. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oung-black-men
There are also studies that show a bias in target practice shooting. The study showed that cops show a quicker reaction time to shoot black people than white people. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...bias-shootings
I could probably refute every point made in the video. Like how conservative policies fuel black on black crime in the first place: gutting inner-city schools, Reagan's Iran-Contra scandal that flooded inner-cities with crack, an extreme excess of guns, cutting welfare, NAFTA pulling out good jobs (made by a supposedly liberal president) from cities like my own, crushing the economy... The problems black people face in their community are based largely in economics, education, and because of those two, the drug war. I have seen studies showing that as cops become more aware of the racism, they shoot black people less, which is of course, good. People then go on to say, "See? They shoot more white people!" Well, maybe they should stop shooting people in general. Our police act like opposing armies, driving around everywhere armed to the teeth.
You can't trust American conservatives. The conservatives in charge spew misinformation while the conservatives who listen become completely brainwashed. And contrary to popular belief, there isn't actually popular liberal (news) media here. All our corporate media is fiscally conservative, because that earns them money. They are corporations, they have a business interest in how the news is portrayed. It wouldn't be smart financially to break that trend because it would cause problems with the other higher-ups. There are socially conservative media stations (Fox) and there are stations that sway with public opinion, like CNN or MSNBC. And while they might investigate problems, you can't trust them either because they don't actually do anything to solve problems. The only popular liberal news outlets I can think of are The Young Turks and Huffington Post, both based online.
I wouldn't know anything about the UK's BLM movement. I doubt their problems are anywhere near as serious because they don't have the gun problem.

I might have been quick to judge. I'm overworked, tired, and tbh my brain is too fried to compute stats at the moment, let alone check everything for it's validity. I saw the video and it clicked with me.

Still, the article you posted claiming that black people are twice as likely to get shot... doesn't prove much given that black people commit crimes at twice the rate as white people.

Population by race
Crimes Committed

If you do the numbers, it works out that whites commit crimes at about 3% rate, whereas blacks at about 6.7%, and the ratio of those two percentages more less corresponds to the ratio of how many blacks vs. whites are killed by police.

The other article you posted showing that black people are used for target practice... well, it's idiotic and obviously wrong, but it's not a statistic and so can't really be treated as anything more than an isolated case. The other study showing faster response times against black targets is more meaningful.

An analogy (perhaps a bad one). Anti-virus installed on a computer, sometimes detects something called "false positives". Those are files which it designates as "infected", despite them not being so. How it does this is depends on things like the source of the files, file type, etc. This means that things such as email attachments may more often end up getting blocked when you try to download them. They get labeled a "threat" by the anti-virus, despite not actually being a threat.

Higher rates of unarmed black people getting shot... could be compared to that, seeing that they get labeled a "threat" even when they're not. It's not fair, it's not good, but the problems are less about "racist police", and more about crime rates in those kinds of neighborhoods.

Anyhow, statistics can be flipped about in many ways. The problem you mention about private interests infecting politics applies to most things. Liberal and conservative alike. Corruption tends to grow wherever there is power, so, whichever ideology dominates the culture, is the ideology which will be more infected. This will depend on where you live... but up until recently America has given the impression of being more liberal than conservative, if only because of things like advancement of gay rights, lax border control, etc. Conservative opposition to these sorts of things has generally failed as far as I know. The conservative/liberal balance might be changing now with Trump, or it may be just getting increasingly polarized & radical instead. I'm too tired to argue this though. Could be a very long post.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Are the Police Racist? - August 28th 2016, 09:48 PM

My dads a police officer here in the UK. The Police are not racist and I'm not just saying that because I'm related to a cop. I can't speak for America, but over here they are not. As with every organisation there are a few individuals that will abuse their powers, however having spoken to my dad and his friends a lot about this sort of thing, it's just not possible in this day and age to get away with the corruption and racism that the Police may have been 20 years ago. Everything the Police do these days are monitored not only by the public, but also the media, politicians, their own colleagues, the forces professional standards department and the Indipentant Police Complaints Commission. It's simply not possible to get away with it even if they wanted to.

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Thor Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Are the Police Racist? - August 29th 2016, 04:36 AM

You can't argue all police are racist.
Of course there are bad apples in every country but to say all police hate is just plan ignorance

Send a message via AIM to Thor  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Rez Offline
2spooky4u
Not a n00b

Name: Simon

Re: Are the Police Racist? - August 29th 2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
You can't argue all police are racist.
Of course there are bad apples in every country but to say all police hate is just plan ignorance
^ this kid... my thoughts exactly.

Closed Thread