TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emoti Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 06:49 PM

So, on this site it's mostly inexperienced 13 year olds giving advice to other inexperienced 13 year olds. No medical knowledge or anything... It is stupid and inappropriate lol

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kyburg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 07:25 PM

TeenHelp is so much more than that. It's a safe place for many to let things out, which they wouldn't feel comfortable doing normally. It's somewhere to share our art and writing. It's a friendly forum to debate and discuss global events or social issues. It's a space where one can always find a willing ear and a kind word.

Teenhelpers don't claim to be professionals and always advise seeking the help of real professionals instead of accepting what is said here as an absolute truth. The age range varies quite considerably on this site, so we're not all "inexperienced 13 year olds". Some people do know what they're talking about because they've lived the events that they describe, and they want to help others get through similarly troubled times.

I see you're new, so perhaps explore the site a bit more and give it a chance before judging it so harshly.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
emoti Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

March 28th 2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyburg View Post
TeenHelp is so much more than that. It's a safe place for many to let things out, which they wouldn't feel comfortable doing normally. It's somewhere to share our art and writing. It's a friendly forum to debate and discuss global events or social issues. It's a space where one can always find a willing ear and a kind word.

Teenhelpers don't claim to be professionals and always advise seeking the help of real professionals instead of accepting what is said here as an absolute truth. The age range varies quite considerably on this site, so we're not all "inexperienced 13 year olds". Some people do know what they're talking about because they've lived the events that they describe, and they want to help others get through similarly troubled times.

I see you're new, so perhaps explore the site a bit more and give it a chance before judging it so harshly.
Are you implying you're grown up and worldly cause you're 18? Nah.

I was using TH way before you by the way. Ten years ago I modded cause I was a stupid 14 year old with nothing better to do.

Last edited by Eternal; March 29th 2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 07:42 PM

Hey there!

Welcome to TeenHelp! My name is Louise, I'm one of the Project Advisors and I've been volunteering with the site for about seven years now.
TeenHelp has a huge userbase covering a range of ages. While the majority of our users are teens, as the name suggests; we also have some adults, like myself, helping out and keeping things on track.
You're right that we do have some 13 year old users giving advice, and that's great! We encourage everyone to help out if they see a thread they feel they can respond to. It can be really helpful to see responses from people of all ages and know that you're not alone in what you're going through. We have a couple of advice areas of the site that are run by Staff (HelpLINK & Live Help) so the advice you get there is given by users who have been successful in the application process. If you're concerned about any advice you see, whether it's in the Forums, Chat Room, or anywhere else on the site, you can report it by clicking the little red box at the top right of the post. We take all reports seriously so don't be afraid to alert us to something you find inappropriate.

Finally I'd like to say that TeenHelp isn't for everyone, and that's okay! We're here for our users and that's all we want to do, that's why we're all here. We've never pretended to be anything other than a peer support site and while that works for many people, we do appreciate it can make others uncomfortable. Feel free to check out our Resources page for some great places to get advice on a variety of issues if you need support but aren't comfortable reaching out here.

If you have any questions or any problems at all when using the site, please feel free to PM me anytime, I'm happy to help.

- Louise.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

12 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 07:49 PM

I've wondered some of the same things about it, mostly when I was in LH and didn't think teenagers should be handling suicide, but the site is protected by the terms of use (can't make anyone read it, but by coming here, they agree to them), no one claims to have credentials they don't have or give advice they aren't legally allowed to give. I think it does pretty well compared to some of the other sites I've seen like it. Since you've supposedly been here before, it sounds like you're just trying to start trouble.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
emoti Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I've wondered some of the same things about it, mostly when I was in LH and didn't think teenagers should be handling suicide, but the site is protected by the terms of use (can't make anyone read it, but by coming here, they agree to them), no one claims to have credentials they don't have or give advice they aren't legally allowed to give. I think it does pretty well compared to some of the other sites I've seen like it. Since you've supposedly been here before, it sounds like you're just trying to start trouble.
Paranoid Katie.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 08:31 PM

This site is 100% voluntary and you're not obligated to stay here if you don't like it. If you feel miserable, no one is forcing you to stay. That said, if you have user feedback, suggestions for improvement or a project you'd like to see happen, you are welcome to make a thread on that or propose a suggestion idea. But again, if you think this site is not the right fit, or if you need a break to figure things out, you are welcome to come and go as much as you would like.

But honestly, I don't blame Katie for thinking you're trying to cause trouble. That's not paranoid at all. It is understandable given your tone, and the content of your writing.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 09:05 PM

Thank you, but no need to defend me; I've just outgrown my patience for people who do what it seems this person is doing. There's a difference between someone who genuinely doesn't know or is concerned, and someone who just tries to rile us up. I'm not the only one thinking it, probably just the first to actually post it. I'm done feeding into them now.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 09:35 PM

Why are you here then?

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 09:52 PM

Hey!

Firstly, welcome back to TH!

Saying that we are all 13 year olds isn't actually true, especially considering we have a lot of adults who have stayed on from when they were younger and have decided to give back to this community. People also go through things at different ages. So a person has experienced something at say 13, doesn't have less of a voice on the matter than a person who has gone through it at 20. Neither does that experience become invalid because they were younger. There are also people who have never had to experience anything major, so those people also do not suddenly have more of an opinion on something that they have not experienced than a young person who has experienced them. I'm not saying that people who haven't experienced something shouldn't have an opinion about specific topics, just that it shouldn't hold more importance just because they are older than a person who has experienced them.

This site is also used as a place where people can voice things that they feel they can't voice outside of the internet. Of course the first thing we do when giving advice is suggest they go speak to a professional, depending on the severity of the subject. If the topic is just they failed a subject and are now upset about that, obviously they wouldn't have to go see a professional. However if it was that they had been feeling depressed for an extended period of time, we would say that they should talk to a professional, or at least a family member. We never claim to be professionals, nor do we ever say that what we say should always be listened to. It is up to the OPs discretion as to whether or not our advice should be listened to. Of course we encourage that they listen to advice that is clearly sound, but not everyone chooses to listen anyway. Knowing that people feel able to vent about their day and even being the person able to vent is always better than not having a place to let everything out once in a while.

Saying that we are all oversensitive kids is a bit unreasonable, especially considering we aren't the people who decided to join a forum solely to cause trouble. Calling people homophobes because they didn't reply to a thread in a certain amount of time is an example of someone being an oversensitive kid, however. Swearing at someone because they pointed out an obvious truth is also pretty oversensitive if you ask me.

As Louise said, if you have issues with things people have said and the advice they give, you are able to report them.

Have a nice day.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

7 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 10:52 PM

TeenHelp doesn't intend to solve larger medical, psychological, or academic issues of teenage users. Rather, it offers a safe place for users to seek advice and support from others using a peer education model. I'd recommend you review the mission statement here. I can say anecdotally that I received a large amount of information and support here as a teenager, and believe the site still offers a great amount of information a person may not be learning in other places in a less stigmatizing environment. However, I think it's incredibly valid of you to be expressing concerns and we need to always be having conversations about the efficacy of TeenHelp in either our delivery or content. If you have any feedback about a particular user's advice or content of the site, I'd recommend you give it to the appropriate channels.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 28th 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoti View Post
Edited
[Edited] LlamaLlamaDuck, Sophrosyne, and Coffee. have already given some pretty good advice and tips. TeenHelp is not for everyone and if you find this site is more of a bother than helpful, then you know where the back button is. I'm sorry this site seems to be bothering you for whatever reason, but there is absolutely no need to be rude to other users and [Edited]

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; March 30th 2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Removing content that refers to a removed post

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 29th 2017, 12:31 AM

Hey there,

Welcome back to TeenHelp!

As others have said, the intention of TH has never been for people to solve the problems of other users. Depending on the severity of the issue, we will usually recommend that the user sees a professional to discuss their feelings, symptoms, etc. and then proceed to give advice from there. The advice isn't meant to solve everything. Rather, it's simply a way of letting the user know that they are heard, that people care, and offering ideas that may help them out in the moment.

Additionally, TeenHelp provides a safe place for users of all ages to talk openly about the different things that they may be facing in life without fear of judgment and malicious responses. For some, it might be the only place that they're comfortable talking about certain things or one of the only resources that they have to learn about different topics. For example, I never had a good relationship with my parents growing up, so TH became a great resource for me when it came to learning about sex, since I couldn't go to them with any questions that I had.

I'd recommend checking out the Mission Statement which explains the intended purpose of the site and the Code of Conduct as the "General Posting Guidelines" section makes it clear that TeenHelp should not be used in place of seeking legitimate medical advice and should instead be used as a subsidiary resource.

With all of that being said, we're always looking for ways to improve. If you have suggestions for ways we could do that, please feel free to submit them through the appropriate channels.

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 29th 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Edited
If you've got a problem with TH and all the users, no one is asking you to stay. [Edited]
I think TH manages the fact that we are not, as you so brightly noticed, professionals by putting it rather clearly "WE ARE NOT PROFESSIONALS" in front of the mental health forums.
On top of that, this is a place for teens to feel safe. If they need to vent about something this is the place for them.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; March 30th 2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Removing content that refers to a removed post.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 29th 2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
So, on this site it's mostly inexperienced 13 year olds giving advice to other inexperienced 13 year olds.
First of all, I'd like to know where you're getting this idea. The site is called "TeenHelp." Teens vary in age from 13-19. I very rarely see anyone younger than 13 here, but see a lot of people in their 20s. You're committing at least three logical fallacies in your original post. And subsequent fallacies in your following posts.

That said, I'd say 13-year-olds are a minority here since they are literally 1/7 or 14.3% of the teenage population. Factor in the people older than 19, and it's even less.

In fact, I'm 28. I've been here under a different alias prior to my current, for a total of 13 years (note: I was 15, not 13). I've also volunteered here for a little over a year.

Quote:
No medical knowledge or anything... It is stupid and inappropriate lol
Another fallacy. You're assuming the only advice given here is medical advice. This is flat out wrong based on the statistics alone. However, even if we presume everything is medically related, this doesn't mean people are giving medical advice. Rather they are talking from similar experiences, and I'd argue that most posts even recommend consulting a professional.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

8 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 30th 2017, 02:36 AM

If you're a teen who has problems, you might be more comfortable talking to anonymous people closer to your age instead of your parents or professionals. Hence, teenhelp. I originally came on here because I wasn't comfortable talking to my parents about my problems. I knew I didn't want to go to them which also meant that I couldnt go to a professional. Instead, this seemed like a good place to get advice for issues I dealt with as a teenager. The anonymity helps out a lot, especially if you're insecure.
After my depression I basically stayed on to "help" people, mostly back when I was under the impression that I wanted to be a therapist. I leave that to people who are actually good at it now. Nowadays I largely stay on to make an ass of myself in the debate section as a way to distract myself from my homework.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 30th 2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
If you're a teen who has problems, you might be more comfortable talking to anonymous people closer to your age instead of your parents or professionals. Hence, teenhelp. I originally came on here because I wasn't comfortable talking to my parents about my problems. I knew I didn't want to go to them which also meant that I couldnt go to a professional. Instead, this seemed like a good place to get advice for issues I dealt with as a teenager. The anonymity helps out a lot, especially if you're insecure.
After my depression I basically stayed on to "help" people, mostly back when I was under the impression that I wanted to be a therapist. I leave that to people who are actually good at it now. Nowadays I largely stay on to make an ass of myself in the debate section as a way to distract myself from my homework.
You're still very helpful mate Don't downplay yourself

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 30th 2017, 09:47 AM

I'm 26 nearly 27 - and honestly this site has probably saved my life - when I first joined this site I was self harming like 6 or more times a day - its not always about the advice - its about realsiing that there are others just like you - that your not the only one who is going through this stuff - yes people do give each other advice on here but thats part of the site - TH has been going since 1999 dont you think if the goverment etc had a problem if TH they would have shut it down? The thing with TH is it allows people to access the help and support they need in a way which feels like safe to them... its also annonymous to a point . TH becomes like a family and community. if you don't agree with the way TH is made and works then you are free to leave no ones making you stay. Also sometimes the best advice comes the ones who have like been through similar stuff!

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 30th 2017, 10:01 AM

Yeah, I mean if you want take this site seriously, by all means feel free to use it as a resource if you ever need help or if you feel like helping people out. I don't understand your purpose for joining, but if you're gonna stick around, its probably best to understand what the site is used for.
Also, thanks Tortellini, perhaps I am downplaying the help I give on the upper threads. But I do feel like I've been on kind of a mean streak since Trump won. I blame him

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Should TH be allowed? - March 31st 2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
So, on this site it's mostly inexperienced 13 year olds giving advice to other inexperienced 13 year olds. No medical knowledge or anything... It is stupid and inappropriate lol
It costs money to pay professionals. Paramedics where I live make anywhere from 11-17 dollars on average. RNs make on average 24-40 dollars. NPs make anywhere from 30-55 an hour. MDs make more depending on their specialty. Counselors make anywhere from 12-28 an hour.

Closed Thread