TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 10th 2017, 11:56 PM

Hello!

I hope you're OK.

'Manspreading' is now banned on buses in Madrid, Spain!

Click on THIS to read the article.

I have no problem with this new rule. Besides - sometimes the 'spread' is SO wide that you have to wonder what 'message' SOME guys are trying to relay?

"My private bits are SO BIG that I can't even keep my legs together!" lol

One space per person please!

What do YOU think?!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 11th 2017, 01:41 AM

Jesus Christ, thats silly... I just want to know why people would care.
But AM I a spreader? Sort of, because taking up a ton of space is what guys do to convey confidence and appear comfortable, or in my case, to fake confidence and to fake appearing comfortable.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 11th 2017, 04:58 AM

yeah I'm a spreader, because it's more comfortable that way if I have the extra room to do so.

OH WAIT lmao I'm a female so it's not offensive.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 11th 2017, 08:09 AM

I think it's reasonable for them to make it a rule to sit normally and ban people from sitting in a way which takes up too much space on public transport, but I don't think it's necessary to call that manspreading when you take it into the context of public regulation. Like, I know that it's more common for men to express confidence in their body language in that partivular way, but I also know that some of my female friends and classmates will show confidence in that same way. I also tend to take up more space than necessary on the tram because it's more omfortable for me (although obviously if someone needs to use the seat next to me and there are few spaces I'll sit normally, bc that's just common courtesy).
I think manspreading is an aspect of the science of body language which is very interesting to look at from a feminist perspective and to analyse exactly what it says about those who do it, but I don't think it would be appropriate to use it out of that context.
Telling people not to sit with their legs spread wide apart on public transport because it takes up an unreasonable amount of space and makes it uncomfortable for anyone sitting next to them is understandable, but banning men from sitting with their legs apart because it demonstrates a confidence and sense of domination which can be unsettling and intimidating for other people (some women) seems out of place to me.
I don't mean to deligitimize the idea that manspreading is a thing, because I've noticed it and I agree that it does carry certain connotations with it and mirrors that male dominance which can be seen more flagrantly in other aspects of society, but I think that banning specifically manspreading on public transport is to assume that men who manspread do it intentionally and that their goal is to assert aggressive dominance, when I don't believe that's the case. I think it's much more of a subconscious thing for many men and that they don't even realize they're doing it, and it would be completely unreasonable to regulate someone's body language which is a result of a subconscious process simply because of how some people might interpret it. Regulate behaviour for practical reasons.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 11th 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I think manspreading is an aspect of the science of body language which is very interesting to look at from a feminist perspective and to analyse exactly what it says about those who do it, but I don't think it would be appropriate to use it out of that context.

That is my thought. It is one thing to criticize the behavior but to ban it? That seems a bit much. That's like banning swear words or something peiple just literally do everyday. Like does the person go to jail if they do it anyway?
What if someone adrogonous looking is manspreading?

I don't know. It is just weird as a ban. You can complain anout it and tell people don't do it and explain why but you can't control their behavior. That's like when kids are forced to sit still in a classroom and not move a slight inch or get up from their seat or to their fingers on the desk. It is very controlling to be so strict about these things!

I mean there can be a sign that says please be considerate of others. Offer your seat to someone in need and if it is crowded don't hog the seats. Done. No banning necessary.

It is a courtesy gesture but not a crime.
Like it isnt even an obligation to give a pregnant person or elderly or disabled person your seat. The signs say to do it but people can ignore it and many times there's advertisements and no signs about this. There's no public chair police. And many times, I was standing up because I had no seat so I couldn't give mime but other people were sitting and using their phone while an elderly person with a cane turned their head clearly searching for a seat and no one gave it up. I saw that happen. Don't tell me every single one of them were pregnant or disabled I'd not elderly.
Most of the time though, people are really good about it. Many times people would catch each other when a person loses balance. I even done that a few times. And a few times someone would offer their seat just because I'm short and can't reach the top bar when the side bars are taken.

You get a mix of people on the trains. Yes, there are manspreaders. I've never seen a woman spreading. I've done a project for school in which I rode the train everyday and counted how many people manspreaded, how many were seated, how many were standing, etc for male and female. It was always men presenting people. Women did other things like eat or do their makeup but not spreading their legs.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 11th 2017, 08:56 PM

I am "spreader" and I simply sit that way because it is most comfortable. If someone needs some additional space, I'll narrow my sitting, but if not, I'm staying like I am.

I appreciate how it is perfectly fine to relate negative actions to the word men or man, but when you do the opposite you are suddenly a misogynist.

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 12th 2017, 09:12 AM

I am a girl nd I sit like this on public transport because I have issues with being touched and space.... if people sit to close to me etc I get anxiety/panic attacks so sit 'spread out' to avoid people sitting like to close to me....

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 12th 2017, 04:52 PM

I don't really care how people sit as long as they make room for someone else without being rude. Sitting down next to someone who is already there, and then spreading out into their space is rude no matter who does it. Not making room for someone looking for a seat is rude. But I normally ask if a seat is taken before I sit next to someone, I think it's the polite thing to do and it usually results in the person making room if they're taking extra space.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 13th 2017, 08:26 PM

As long as it becomes a crime for women to put their bags on the seat next to them I'm okay with this

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
eeba Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Esmé

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 14th 2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum View Post
It is a courtesy gesture but not a crime.
I agree, I think depending on the situation it can potentially be rude and inconsiderate, no matter who is doing it, but I don't see it as a crime. For one thing, there are much more serious crimes that law enforcement officials could be focusing on. (Plus that's very hard to enforce anyway.)

"All will be well when the day is done"
-Peter, Paul and Mary <3

(#11 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 14th 2017, 08:39 PM

This is literally impossible to enforce. You'd have to have someone who is whiny enough to tattle for it, you'd have to have proof that the person was violating some set standard, and then you'd have to have a cop that gives a shit.
There are a billion problems going on in the world, but this is the one you choose to tackle. Jesus Christ, thats lame.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 15th 2017, 05:50 AM

Law officers and officials should be focused upon protecting the well being and safety of citizens, not banning a type of sitting on a bus.

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Headbanger80 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 15th 2017, 03:09 PM

I never knew that there is such thing as a spreader before reading the article.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 15th 2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeba View Post
I agree, I think depending on the situation it can potentially be rude and inconsiderate, no matter who is doing it, but I don't see it as a crime. For one thing, there are much more serious crimes that law enforcement officials could be focusing on. (Plus that's very hard to enforce anyway.)
Agreed. Spreading your legs and taking up room on a bus is nothing more than rude and inconsiderate. It's a complete waste of time enforcing this.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 16th 2017, 04:45 PM

What happened to nicely asking "Sir, may I sit there?". How the guy reacts is besides the point, but more often than not, he'll stop "manspreading" and be nice enough to let you sit there

And I think banning "manspreading" (I hate the word already) wouldn't do jack and the fact that it exists is only there to appease the ear screamingly loud minority of feminazi's and SJW's

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 18th 2017, 06:33 AM

I'm a girl and I admit, I do it when I'm wearing the appropriate attire.

I sit whatever way is comfortable.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 18th 2017, 06:03 PM

lol

I have very mixed feelings about this.

The whole "manspreading" controversy has generally been vocalized by the sort of feminists from whom even most women prefer to keep a safe distance.

That said, there is no short supply of douchebags who will just take up all the space they possibly can "because fuck you, that's why". The carriage is packed with people standing, and they'll dump their shopping on the seat next to them.

How many such people you encounter will depend on where you live and which routes you travel. Some places are alright. Some places are weird as shit during some periods of the day. Like the Overground line to Stratford in London.

I usually use music to ignore these kinds of people. If they make it impossible to ignore then I do something gross, like fart in a packed carriage. There is this part of me that loves fucking with offensive/insecure people.

Also, I generally prefer to stand on public transport unless it's a long journey.

I suppose on public transport, such a ban is reasonable, if "manspreading" really does become the sort of problem that you can't ignore. There is limited space, and people deserve to be able to sit if there are free seats.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
SandraH155 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 23rd 2017, 12:37 PM

lol don't think so

(#19 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - June 27th 2017, 09:04 AM

I think it is inconsiderate and I do find it rude. There are many things that I hate about public transport and this is one of them but I also hate other women using space for their bag. If the bus isn't busy and no one else requires the space then people are more than welcome to take all the space they want, but if it becomes busier it's polite to not encroach on other people's personal space.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#20 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Are YOU a 'spreader'? - July 5th 2017, 05:40 PM

I live in Poland at the moment, and this stereotype image exists of a certain kinds of "men" who frequent low-end night clubs.

I've met those kinds.

Say for example, I will go to the toilet to use the urinals. For low budget reasons, it tends to be just one long urinal suitable for several people to use at once (instead of 3 or 4 individual urinals). Another guy comes in, and instead of placing himself at a normal distance, and just acting normal about the whole thing... he will deliberately:
  • place himself right in the middle
  • stand with his feet wide apart
  • push his elbows out sideways
  • aim for the water so as to make the most noise
  • and look sideways at other guys using the urinal while he does his "thing"

If that was all there was to it, it'd be quite funny actually. I did just crack up and start laughing once. But often it's these guys that will often start some shit at the bar later. To be honest, I hate most nightclubs. I rarely go, and when I do it's only because some close friend of mine is celebrating something or other and they can't afford a better club. But even most better clubs have a significant % of douches who can't help themselves from putting on some shit act, especially when drunk, and the presence alone of people like that within a 5m radius of me pisses me off after a while and I feel like leaving.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread