TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 01:39 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

YouTube - 95% Want Marijuana Legalized! CNN Poll

CNN is conducting a survey asking whether or not marijuana should be legalized. CNN will give the survey to Obama, and Obama will take the survey into consideration.

Here's some starting questions for the debate:

Why should or shouldn't marijuana be legalized?
Do you believe that Obama is taking CNN's survey into consideration to gain more respect from the younger audiences?
Will marijuana truly help out the economy?

Be sure to provide evidence from trusted sites, and please...no personal attacks.

Moderator, please close this if there's already a thread like this or we should continue with one of the billions of marijuana threads that still exist!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 01:43 AM

Good for tax revenue better public service and other projects.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 01:44 AM

Um, what the heck? That's pretty much the dumbest idea I have ever heard of in my life.. Especially the bit about it helping the economy. Come on, seriously? Are we now so desperate that the only possibility of saving our failing economy is to sell marijuana like there's nothing wrong with taking drugs? I don't think so. This 'survey' or whatever it is, was probably started by a bunch of teenagers who are sick of having to sneak around to buy drugs. If Obama legalizes this bologna, he's an even bigger idiot than I thought he was to begin with.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Girl View Post
Um, what the heck? That's pretty much the dumbest idea I have ever heard of in my life.. Especially the bit about it helping the economy. Come on, seriously? Are we now so desperate that the only possibility of saving our failing economy is to sell marijuana like there's nothing wrong with taking drugs? I don't think so. This 'survey' or whatever it is, was probably started by a bunch of teenagers who are sick of having to sneak around to buy drugs. If Obama legalizes this bologna, he's an even bigger idiot than I thought he was to begin with.
I agree. Smoking marijuana, like tobacco is dangerous to one's health. That combined with the drug's addictive properties and hallucinogenic, inebriating effects makes this one a no-brainer to be on the controlled substances list.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 02:18 AM

If people want to do things that are clearly bad for their health, that's their decision. We don't make it illegal for people to eat junk food and become obese.

Perhaps legalizing drugs would mean lowering the prices, which would mean drug addicts wouldn't find it so necessary to steal and commit other crimes to feed their addictions. Street justice related to drug diputes would be lowered. Police and court resources would be freed up for more serious crimes. Drug dealers and organized crime would lose a large source of their income, and thus a large source of their power. The FDA would be able to regulate and control the safety of drugs, so drug users could be safer in knowing what they hell they're getting.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 02:51 AM

No, don't legalize it, first it smells really bad. Imagine what would happen little kids walking in the streets and having to smell it.
Like the guy in the video said, it will cause long term problems to your health.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
Like the guy in the video said, it will cause long term problems to your health.
So will potato chips - it's impractical to ban everything that's bad for your health. People need to make their own decisions on their health, and deal with the obvious consequences.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
It's not meant to stabilize it. It's meant to increase a bit of revenue. Tobacco is legal. It gets taxed. Should we ban tobacco?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
I agree. Smoking marijuana, like tobacco is dangerous to one's health (1). That combined with the drug's addictive properties (2) and hallucinogenic (3), inebriating (4) effects makes this one a no-brainer to be on the controlled substances list.
  1. So we should ban tobacco, alcohol, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Potato Chips (I could keep going)? Also, no one has been recorded as having a cannabis OD, and marijuana has some medicinal uses.
  2. Tobacco and alcohol are both more addictive, as you can't get physically addicted to marijuana
  3. "Although usually grouped with other hallucinogens, marijuana rarely causes hallucinations." Hallucinogens: eMedicine Psychiatry
  4. Alcohol inebriates, should we ban alcohol?

Quote:
No, don't legalize it, first it smells really bad. Imagine what would happen little kids walking in the streets and having to smell it.
Just like public drunkenness is illegal, I doubt you'd be legally allowed to smoke outside your home or a bar.
Quote:
Look at #1 to PhoenixAlive's post

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

Last edited by DoesThisLookInfected?; June 20th 2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
If people want to do things that are clearly bad for their health, that's their decision.
Not when their decisions affect others. Not when parents are incapable of taking care of their children because they are so addicted to drugs. Eating a potato chip doesn't tear apart families and wreck people's lives as much as drugs do. Laws are put in place in order to protect people's safety as best as possible. It would be ridiculous to make fast food illegal, fast food can be eaten in a controllable amount, eating a hamburger from McDonalds or a potato chip every once in a great while isn't going to ruin your life. But drugs will. That's why drugs are illegal, they ruin lives, and affect the safety of others. Why would anyone in their right mind put the safety and happiness and general well being of another human at risk, in order to save the darn economy? That's just crooked.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Not when their decisions affect others. Not when parents are incapable of taking care of their children because they are so addicted to drugs.
Ever heard of child protection services? They are in place for a reason. A person's ability to parent has nothing to do with whether or not drinking, smoking pot or shooting up should be illegal.

Quote:
It would be ridiculous to make fast food illegal, fast food can be eaten in a controllable amount, eating a hamburger from McDonalds or a potato chip every once in a great while isn't going to ruin your life.
Marijuana can be done in moderation too. It's a matter of regulating it, and as long as it's illegal it's not being regulated.

Quote:
That's why drugs are illegal, they ruin lives, and affect the safety of others.
The biggest reasons they ruin lives and affect safety is because they are illegal. The vast majority of criminals have been jailed due to drug related offenses. Legalizing drugs would reduce crimes like theft, robbery, assault and murder that naturally accompany black market drugs.

Regulation would reduce deaths due to drugs. If the government were able to tax and regulate the sale of drugs, the likelihood that someone would die because of a tainted dose would drastically decline. New incidences of HIV/AIDS would fall, because clean needles etc would be made more readily available.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:

Not when their decisions affect others. Not when parents are incapable of taking care of their children because they are so addicted to drugs. Eating a potato chip doesn't tear apart families and wreck people's lives as much as drugs do. Laws are put in place in order to protect people's safety as best as possible. It would be ridiculous to make fast food illegal, fast food can be eaten in a controllable amount, eating a hamburger from McDonalds or a potato chip every once in a great while isn't going to ruin your life. But drugs will. That's why drugs are illegal, they ruin lives, and affect the safety of others. Why would anyone in their right mind put the safety and happiness and general well being of another human at risk, in order to save the darn economy? That's just crooked.
Marijuana is not a physically addictive drug. And pretty much everything can be psychologically addictive.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Perhaps legalizing drugs would mean lowering the prices, which would mean drug addicts wouldn't find it so necessary to steal and commit other crimes to feed their addictions.
Wouldn't it be a healthier and more productive choice to commit more time and resources on rehabilitating addicts and dealing with addictions, instead of just enabling addictive behaviour?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be a healthier and more productive choice to commit more time and resources on rehabilitating addicts and dealing with addictions, instead of just enabling addictive behaviour?
Again, marijuana is PSYCHOLOGICALLY addictive. Dealers normally lace pot to make it physically addictive. But real cannabis is not physically addictive.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
Again, marijuana is PSYCHOLOGICALLY addictive. Dealers normally lace pot to make it physically addictive. But real cannabis is not physically addictive.
Umm... so what? How does that make what I said less valid? If marijuana is psychologically addictive, then counseling and therapy can help someone who is addicted to it, can it not?

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
It would, but in my opinion it's very unrealistic to think that we're going to completely abolish people's wants for and addictions to drugs, and as long as the drugs they purchase remain illegal, the profits are going straight to organized crime. Know how the mafia gained strength in America? Conservatives thought it would be a good idea to ban alcohol, which gave them a huge source of black market income. The same thing is happening with drugs now - illegal gangs are profitting, and they are gaining power. It doesn't matter how much we wish for it to stop, there will always be people spending money on unhealthy things. In my opinion, as money is always going to be spent on drugs, we can at least ensure that the money is going towards making gangsters rich.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Umm... so what? How does that make what I said less valid? If marijuana is psychologically addictive, then counseling and therapy can help someone who is addicted to it, can it not?
Yes, but what I'm saying is that pretty much anything can be addictive, Including water, books, fast food... etc.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, but what I'm saying is that pretty much anything can be addictive, Including water, books, fast food... etc.
Yes, and any addiction is extremely detrimental to someone's health. People who are addicted to any of the things you mentioned have a serious problem that needs to be treated, one way or another. Not ignored because its common.

And yes, I realize that I have an idealized view on the way things should work. It may not be realistic for us to treat everyone with an addiction, but its still the right thing. Just as NO-ONE should be subjected to abuse, intolerance, etc, I don't think that anyone should be subjected to illness if it can be treated. And addiction is an illness.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, and any addiction is extremely detrimental to someone's health. People who are addicted to any of the things you mentioned have a serious problem that needs to be treated, one way or another. Not ignored because its common.

And yes, I realize that I have an idealized view on the way things should work. It may not be realistic for us to treat everyone with an addiction, but its still the right thing. Just as NO-ONE should be subjected to abuse, intolerance, etc, I don't think that anyone should be subjected to illness if it can be treated. And addiction is an illness.
It still doesn't mean that it should be illegal because of that.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Ever heard of child protection services? They are in place for a reason. A person's ability to parent has nothing to do with whether or not drinking, smoking pot or shooting up should be illegal.
Oh, alright, why not make child abuse legal than as well? After all, child protective services will be off to the rescue. Let's just raise the amount of children in foster care who will never have a real family, in order to help the economy. Makes perfect sense to me. Ruin lives, but who cares? Money is being raised! And, what!? So when a parent comes home so high that they can't properly take care of their child's needs, their inability to take care of the kid has nothing to do with the fact that they took drugs and are now high? ...

Quote:
Marijuana can be done in moderation too. It's a matter of regulating it, and as long as it's illegal it's not being regulated.
And you trust millions of the immature teens taking drugs to use them responsibly and in regulation? HA. Okay then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected?
But again, water is healthy. Water does not do damage to yourself or others. Nor do books. Fast food may do damage if it is consumed far to often, but it's not nearly as addicting as marijuana can be.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
It still doesn't mean that it should be illegal because of that.
Then why do you think it is illegal?

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Oh, alright, why not make child abuse legal than as well? After all, child protective services will be off to the rescue. Let's just raise the amount of children in foster care who will never have a real family, in order to help the economy. Makes perfect sense to me. Ruin lives, but who cares? Money is being raised!
Oh for the love of god. Child abuse can be stopped by CPS because it's illegal. If people abuse children because of drug use, then they will be stopped, because child abuse will remain illegal, in exactly the same manner as when parents abuse children due to alcohol consumption.

Quote:
And you trust millions of the immature teens taking drugs to use them responsibly and in regulation? HA. Okay then...
Whereas you trust that making it illegal will stop them from going to the black market and directly profitting drug cartels? HA! Okay then...

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Oh, alright, why not make child abuse legal than as well? After all, child protective services will be off to the rescue. Let's just raise the amount of children in foster care who will never have a real family, in order to help the economy. Makes perfect sense to me. Ruin lives, but who cares? Money is being raised! And, what!? So when a parent comes home so high that they can't properly take care of their child's needs, their inability to take care of the kid has nothing to do with the fact that they took drugs and are now high? ...

Marijuana doesn't hurt anyone but the user.

Quote:
Marijuana, if legalized, regulated, and banned to minors will be harder to get to than it is now for minors.

Quote:
But again, water is healthy. Water does not do damage to yourself or others. Nor do books. Fast food may do damage if it is consumed far to often, but it's not nearly as addicting as marijuana can be.
Medical cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Marijuana has medical purposes

Again, I'll restress, do you guys think that we should ban tobacco and alcohol? If so, don't you guys just see a prohibition-type thing happening? If not, why marijuana any different?

(#23 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I have to disagree. When someone is addicted to a substance, their entire family suffers.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
lvpeyton Offline
stronger than yesterday
Average Joe

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
If people want to do things that are clearly bad for their health, that's their decision. We don't make it illegal for people to eat junk food and become obese.
that is a really good point! there are a bunch of things that are bad for us, but they are not illegal. fast food restaurants, alcohol, and cigarettes. and alcohol and cigarettes are very addictive.

i think that if it is legalized it needs to be monitored like alcohol and cigarettes. they need to have specific locations (ex. bars for alcohol) and age requirements.

it is probably such a big deal because it IS illegal. if it wasn't, i am sure people would not even use it as often.

"All these short times feel like no time, I thought you ought to know."

“Sometimes you have to forget about what you want, and remember what you deserve.”

(#25 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ. Ever met someone whose whole life has been affected by someone close to them having a drug addiction? I guarantee you that sometime in your life, if you have not already, you will. Why not speak up and tell them "Drugs don't hurt anyone but the user." See what they have to say to you, I'd love to know.

Quote:
Whereas you trust that making it illegal will stop them from going to the black market and directly profitting drug cartels? HA! Okay then...
Um, did I ever say that? I don't believe that I did. Drugs are definitely already an issue, and always will be an issue. But they will become an even bigger issue if they are made legal. Think about it. Drugs will be easier to get, there will be more drug addicts out there. As a result, there are going to be more health problems. People are already having major difficulties paying their medical bills. You can count on more visits to the hospital, and as a result, more medical bills to pay. What happens to the marijuana addicts who don't have medical insurance? Hmm, I don't know, maybe more debt for thousands of Americans? Oh that sounds simply fine and dandy, doesn't it?

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 04:44 AM

All these arguments - destroying family, hurting children etc - are the same arguments that were used by prohibition supporters in the 1920s. The outcome of banning alcohol in America was clear. North America gave birth to some of the most notorious crime syndicates, most vicious criminals and mafia leaders. For the mafia and other gangs, prohibition meant employment and easy money. Prohibition created an atmosphere where crime was allowed to fester, and the mafia exploited it. They became strong.

Exactly the same thing happens with illegalizing marijuana or other drugs. Drug dealers make enormous sums of money because of the absence of competition and the high street prices which come with the increased risk. Gangs are already huge problems in large cities in Canada and the US, and they are beginning to spread to smaller towns. Why shouldn't we take the opportunity to cripple one of the largest sources of their income?

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#27 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Exactly the same thing happens with illegalizing marijuana or other drugs. Drug dealers make enormous sums of money because of the absence of competition and the high street prices which come with the increased risk. Gangs are already huge problems in large cities in Canada and the US, and they are beginning to spread to smaller towns. Why shouldn't we take the opportunity to cripple one of the largest sources of their income?
As if there still will not be drug dealers who are selling marijuana, even if it is made legal to purchase? As if all of the money spent on the drug will be sent to the government, as if none will end up in the pocket of a drug dealer? Then, there are all the other drugs that are still illegal. So really, nothing changes. There are still gangs. So then really, what, may I ask, is the point?

(#28 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 05:21 AM

I'm for it, I think it's one less thing for the drug dealers to profit off of. Also, the fact that it's legal will likely decrease it's popularity now that it wont be something "rebellious" to do.

Think of how much safer it would be. Drug dealers wouldn't sell it because they wouldn't be making a big profit anymore, which means no one would be selling to underage children. If it's sold in stores, only people over 18 could buy it.

Also, marijuana is not nearly as dangerous or physically addictive as some things which are legal. Such as alcohol or regular cigarettes. (source: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/...l-tobacco.html ) So by that standard, why should it not be legalized?

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

Last edited by WhySoSerious?; June 20th 2009 at 05:22 AM. Reason: issues with source
  Send a message via MSN to WhySoSerious?  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 05:21 AM

Making MJ illegal is going to solve very little of the current problem that someone would have to get it. People who are addicted to it psychologically would still take whatever means to get it. This leads to the argument, a rather weak one, of it destroying families, etc... . I say it's weak because it applies to many things: other illegal drugs, fast-food, gambling, etc... .

While someone is on MJ they can do actions to harm others, however, this is more common when they are on higher concentrations of it. Studies have shown that while on lower concentrations, they are less impaired for motor tasks and are not as dangerous. Once again, this argument of users harming others is an argument for many other things and is not strong either.

Since other things harm us and can harm others also, yet they are not illegal, then using that logic, why should MJ be illegal?

Studies have shown that it takes massive amounts to overdose and die on MJ (assuming it's only MJ and not something else mixed in). The damage it does to one's body is probably the least severe compared to other drugs. It can harm, such as the correlation with testicular cancer so it is not completely harm-free.

Legalizing it though could be a good source for the government to tax, although there would have to be many other things to be considered, such as what is the legal age, who gives it, how often can the same person receive it, how much can one buy at once, etc... . Of course legalizing it then leads to a very large issue mentioned above: its impairment on one's motor functioning, thus it could lead to much more car accidents, work-related accidents, etc... . It also runs the risk of underage kids using it, after all with alcohol, underage people drink so presumably the same can happen for MJ (even more so than it would happen now).

Selling MJ could help out the economy. There'd be a nice demand for it but I see a potential problem with it: how do you get people to buy from the government instead of buying it from non-government dealers? If the government cranks the price too high, then why should people buy from them when they can get the same but for cheaper? Theoretically, getting the non-government dealers and growing places off would be needed although that currently has not happened so it would be a potential problem. It could put more strain on the non-government ones, which could either lead to them selling more at a lower price, more violence, etc.... . I see that as being one of the biggest hurdles that currently has not been dealt with.

Obama taking the survey into consideration may be to appeal to the younger audience but CNN is a rather well-known newscast, so ignoring a poll on something that big would seem rather ignorant. So taking it into consideration may be to win more of the younger audience over but at the same time, for people who are strictly against MJ, this may put them out of favour for Obama.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 05:24 AM

I definately think it should be legal. Alcohol and cigarettes, which are just as bad if not a lot worse, are legal. My mom has friends who have been smoking pot for 40 years and they are perfectly healthy and productive in society. I also have a number of friends and family memebers who smoke it and they are fine too. I realize it can cause problems for some people, but the instances are not high enough to warrant having it illegal. And of course, more money for the government is always nice.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
So will potato chips - it's impractical to ban everything that's bad for your health. People need to make their own decisions on their health, and deal with the obvious consequences.

Yeah, but if you eat potato chips around me, nothing goes to me. If you smoke around me the smoke can cause me problems.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but if you eat potato chips around me, nothing goes to me. If you smoke around me the smoke can cause me problems.
Then I suggest you don't hang around people that are smoking pot. Just like with cigarette smoke. Sounds pretty simple to me

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
As if there still will not be drug dealers who are selling marijuana, even if it is made legal to purchase? As if all of the money spent on the drug will be sent to the government, as if none will end up in the pocket of a drug dealer? Then, there are all the other drugs that are still illegal. So really, nothing changes. There are still gangs. So then really, what, may I ask, is the point?
Legalizing alcohol and cigarettes largely took them off the black market, and it thus took away a large part of their income. I don't see why it's absurd to think the same thing might happen with marijuana - if you can buy it legally, there's no reason to buy it illegally. Any little bit helps. I think there are lots of things gangs control right now that could be taken out of their hands without harming anyone.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#34 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 06:08 AM

I'm too tired to post now but I'll go more in depth tomorrow. Grizabella I'm with you and legalizing marrijuana would definitely save money. It would greatly decrease the amount of money we are spending on jails.
"
In 2007 the Department of Justice reported that there were 1,841,182 drug arrests in the United States; the report also stated that there were more drug abuse arrests than any other category of offenses. Marijuana arrests accounted for 47.4% of the drug abuse arrests. This allows us to estimate that about 872,720 persons were arrested for marijuana offenses. Eighty-nine percent of these arrests were for possession. The 2007 arrest data is even worse than 2006 when 829,627 people were arrested for marijuana (a Project Censored’s top 25 story in 2008). In 2005 there were 786,545 marijuana arrests, meaning that the number of arrests increased by 86K in just two years. Clearly, marijuana is an intense focus of police interest and activity; far more, apparently, than the less important crimes occurring at the same time on Wall Street.
From SocialMedicine.org"
Here is the site: http://forums.teenhelp.org/f38-curre...juana-yay-nay/

Ridiculous the amount of people in jail for doing no harm to someone. Also for all the reasons people have given against so far the same can be said for the effects of alchohol, yet we allow that plenty. I say legalize and tax the hell out of it.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#35 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Legalizing alcohol and cigarettes largely took them off the black market, and it thus took away a large part of their income. I don't see why it's absurd to think the same thing might happen with marijuana - if you can buy it legally, there's no reason to buy it illegally. Any little bit helps. I think there are lots of things gangs control right now that could be taken out of their hands without harming anyone.
What if buying it illegally is far cheaper than buying it legally or if you can buy more for less? There's also the issue of dealers having laced MJ which people may want more than non-laced, which the government probably would sell. If you crank the tax on it to high hell, then it probably will be more expensive. It may put plenty of non-government ones out of business but only if they can give some reason to choose the government over the non-government.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 06:21 AM

I say yes, legalise it.
a] Most direct problems with drugs come from unclean substances, being mixed etc. If marijuana were to be sold it would have to be 'clean'. This would reduce [not necessarily eliminate] direct health effects from smoking weed ...
b] Any problems that do occur as a result of smoking weed would be paid for by the revenue it created. The revenue from cigarettes in the UK overpays for the consequencial health problems that the NHS has to deal with. It doesn't excuse people smoking, but at least we would have money to help them, rather than using money of people who don't smoke.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
What if buying it illegally is far cheaper than buying it legally or if you can buy more for less? There's also the issue of dealers having laced MJ which people may want more than non-laced, which the government probably would sell. If you crank the tax on it to high hell, then it probably will be more expensive. It may put plenty of non-government ones out of business but only if they can give some reason to choose the government over the non-government.
And the precendent? This hasn't happened to any large extent with cigarettes and alcohol, so why should we assume it will be a huge problem with marijuana? I don't presume it will be removed completely from the black market, but legalizing other addictive substances has drastically reduced the need for them to be sold by criminals.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I think most people would still buy it from the government because they would know it's safe (no risk of it being laced etc..). It is also probably a little more convenient than going to a dealer. The quality and availability would be more consistent too. Plus lots of people like things in neat packages, and of course lots of people prefer to obey the law as much as possible.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 06:59 AM

The issue I have with legalizing MJ is: What kind of an effect will it have on our society?

Sure, it may fix some economic and justice problems, but at what cost? I feel legalizing it may fix some current government problems while opening the door to new ones.

I'd elaborate, but I really can't think right now..

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Ryce Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexandra

Re: Legalizing marijuana: Yay or nay? - June 20th 2009, 07:23 AM

I don't think marijuana should be legalized. Right now, their really isn't that many teenagers who use marijuana. Its fewer than 1 in 4 highschool seniors, and about 1 in 7 juniors. I honestly think if it were to be legalized that number would rise, even if they did set the age limit at a higher age (maybe 18+ like cigarrets?)

Even if its not the most damaging drug out there, it is still a drug and harms the user. Such as increased chance of cancer- greater risk at getting lung infections- and impairs some of the immune system.

Just because the economey is bad doesn't seem like a good enough reason to legalize it. Plus, from what I remember, didn't their used to be an insane amount of cigarrete smokers when they first came out because they didn't think it would harmful. A lot of them thinking "well the government is allowing it so it cant be bad for us." Im willing to bet the second that marijuana is legalized the amount of users would increase dramatically.

As well, Kids who grow up around parents who smoke (cigarrets or marijuana) have a higher chance of growing up to do the same.
(NIDA - Publications - Marijuana: Facts for Teens - source to any of the facts I mentioned.)

The thought of legalizing it raises the question to me, "what's next?" Why wouldn't they later on decide to legalize yet another drug that isn't 'too harmful' then after that another drug a little more harmful, then after that another drug that is harmful, see where it can lead?

Maybe this Life is Overrated
[But I won't let the world burn around me]

Closed Thread