TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 14th 2010, 01:44 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ake/index.html

Rescue workers struggled to clear rubble and bodies Wednesday from the streets of Haiti's "flattened" capital, where government officials said the death toll from Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake may exceed 100,000.

I feel bad for the people of Haiti.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 14th 2010, 03:20 AM

So sad. Earthquakes suck so much.
Living in California and on a earthquake fault line i happen to know :/

Poor people of Haiti.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 14th 2010, 03:45 AM

Ok, what annoys me about that article is that is the fact it excludes mention of the two aftershocks, also shallow like the Earthquake, which both caused slight damage, whereas the Earthquake was many times more powerful.
It's heartbreaking, this is one of the worlds poorest countries, no wonder other countries are stepping in to help so quickly.

Quote:
Since just 2004, Haiti has faced floods, food riots, mudslides, at least five hurricanes and a rebellion that left it briefly without a functioning government, forcing United Nations peacekeepers to take charge. The succession of calamities — made worse by decades of dictatorship and political mismanagement — has led to a country where most people survive on $2 or less a day. Even before the earthquake, Haiti relied on foreign aid for most of its food.
Source
The prick who is saying Haiti made a pact with the devil, which caused the Earthquake, can shut his mouth too. 0.o Here: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.ac...59174697244816

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 14th 2010, 04:03 AM

I feel so bad for the people of Haiti, especially since they lack the money and the resources to recover from this. I hope that America and other more stable countries take the time to step in and to help them. This is why I am glad I live in an area not prone to such weather conditions. Still, Haiti is in my thoughts and prayers, especially to the people who did not survive.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 14th 2010, 08:03 PM

I feel so bad for the people there. I really do hope for the best. Today I was watching the news and the images they showed were horrible bodies just laying there, building on top of people all the emotions on the faces of the survivals. If anyone can donate money, it really helps even if it's $5, and pray.
Just to add, here is a list of organizations in the USA that are helping in Haiti. Don't believe the facebook fake groups.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34835478...ocid=xnetr3-2/

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

Last edited by Pelios; January 14th 2010 at 08:29 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 14th 2010, 09:01 PM

donate.doctorswithoutborders.org
www.redcross.org/
www.mercycorps.org/
www.theirc.org/
www.pih.org/home.html

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

Last edited by Pandamonium; January 15th 2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Advertising

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Arie. Offline
Olive you :D
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 03:35 AM

I donated $20 dollars earlier.I've been listening to the news for the past 2 hours now and I feel so hopeless just standing by the tv and watching and listening to the news, it just devastates me. My thoughts and prayers goes out for the victims who has been affected by the earthquake in Haiti.
Stay strong!

I hope you have the strength to start all over again.- F.Scott Fitzgerald
  Send a message via MSN to Arie.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 03:47 AM

It's heartbreaking and I was tearing up reading articles about it. Haiti is poor like a third-world nation. 80% of the people are unemployed. A good percentage have HIV/AIDS. I read that there's one hospital for every 100,000 people. The fact that many of these people can persevere with such living conditions makes me feel very fortunate to live in Canada. I hope that the strong nation of Haiti can pull through and that the surrounding nations can extend a hand to the country.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 04:53 AM

It's so sad. It's the poorest western nation, so I know I read somewhere that all of the other western nations were stepping in to help. As for donating, Youtube even has a link up where you can donate money directly to the Red Cross.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 09:12 AM

There people are apparently starting to get restless becouse they blame the Goverment for not doing enouth.
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
U.S. cell phone users have contributed more than $8 million in $10 increments to the Red Cross for Haiti disaster relief, by far the largest outpouring of support via mobile devices in history.
Wow!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6099375.shtml

Shows that a lot of people do care

My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkiller7 View Post
There people are apparently starting to get restless becouse they blame the Goverment for not doing enouth.
I don't blame them, I saw in the news they are starting to fight for food and water, imagine the smell of the bodies that have been there 3 days...

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 06:03 PM

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like there right now. I've had to stop watching the news because it's just too overwhelming.

I completely understand the people getting restless but I hope they can understand. eventually. that the nations are doing everything they can to get there. I can't even fathom how they're going to handle the process of identifying and burying with so many presumed to be dead, it's staggering.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 07:17 PM

Apparently most of the Aid cant even leave the airstrip becouse the roads are too badly damaged and if they airdrop it in there will be even more unrest.
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pothole View Post
I can't even begin to imagine what it's like there right now. I've had to stop watching the news because it's just too overwhelming.

I completely understand the people getting restless but I hope they can understand. eventually. that the nations are doing everything they can to get there. I can't even fathom how they're going to handle the process of identifying and burying with so many presumed to be dead, it's staggering.
The burying will not be too hard.. I'd imagine they'd do the same as they did with the Tsunami victims. (mass burials etc)
The identifying is the hard part... even if they do identify someone that's still a family that has lost a loved one.. and has to see him/her badly injured etc.

My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing

(#16 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 11:03 PM

I just donated the £50 (I think about $75??) I was going to spend on a pair of shoes ... puts everything into perspective really ... people who are saying they feel bad, do something - donate! Even if it's just £5! It will make a difference!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 15th 2010, 11:09 PM

so sad. watching it all on the news is just heartbreaking. my mum donated some money, so i guess we're doing our bit.. however little.. it does make a difference. i can't begin to imagine what all those people are going through, it's just awful.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#18 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 16th 2010, 01:26 AM

I feel so bad! Innocent people dying.. But honestly, this is Earth's way of saying "It's getting abit overpopulated.."

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 17th 2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkiller7 View Post
True i would do the same if i lived in Haiti.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 17th 2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymahgawdxox View Post
I feel so bad! Innocent people dying.. But honestly, this is Earth's way of saying "It's getting abit overpopulated.."
An earthquake is not the Earth's way of saying it's overpopulated. People are dying because it's a poor country, the buildings were made cheaply, and disaster happens, not because the earth is overpopulated.

Earthquakes have nothing to do with population, and everything to do with the shifting of tectonic plates. When two plates hit each other, as happens very often, they cause a small shock wave. If the force of the impact is great, the shock way is higher. The bigger the shock wave, the higher impact of the 'earthquake'. This quake was a 7.0, which is high, so of course there is damage and death, it happens. But it has nothing to do with population.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 17th 2010, 04:35 AM

This is so sad. The poor people. My family donated some money to help. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 17th 2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymahgawdxox View Post
It already is, the earthquake doesn't prove something true, that already is true. The earth can't sustain what we are aiming for, which is for all 6.8 billion of us, a first world quality of life. What makes anyone think the Earth could sustain that? We've already cut down swathes of forest, not just in the last 100 years: "Between 1700 and 1850 forest cover in India and China plummeted, falling from 40-50 percent of land area to 5-10 percent." The US has 30% of it's forest left.
All of that was cleared and replaced by farmland and agriculture, to feed those who are currently fed, whilst a considerable amount of Africa is near starving/has a significant food shortage (Ethiopia, Sudan, Zimbabwe,
Mozambique, Malawi, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zambia, Angola, Eritrea and Mauritania...) which means we need more land to be able to feed these people, and that's not guaranteed due to drought and increased desertification (the formation of desert).

As of yesterday Canadians had donated $24million, and there's 33 million in the country, that's a lot! The government of Canada is also matching EVERY dollar Canadians donate, the current ceiling for that is $50 million but will increase if Canadians continue to give so generously.

It's heart warming how quickly money is being raised, though. Hillary Clinton has already visited, Obama, Clinton and Bush got together and the latter two set up a foundation.

The UN is also trying to raise $500 million.

Some other pledge estimates from About.com World News (not all-inclusive and from Governments only, not including public donations):
  • Britain has pledged $10 million, plus is sending administrators and rescue help.
  • Other nations: Australia, $9.3 million; Norway, $5.3 million; Japan, $5 million; Spain, $4.37 million plus rescue teams; Germany, $2.17 million plus rescue help; the Netherlands, $2.9 million; Denmark, $1.9 million; Finland, $1.8 million; Italy, $1.46 million; Sweden, $850,000.
  • $1 million each from India, South Korea and China.
  • $10 million from the U.N., $100 million from the World Bank, and $4.37 million from the European Union. Sweden has also offered to build a base to replace the destroyed U.N. headquarters.
  • Search-and-rescue and medical help from Mexico, France, Taiwan, Israel, Iceland, Portugal, Switzerland and Venezuela (I also saw Russian search teams on the news).
Several Celebrities have given money as well.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by CompassionateSoul; January 17th 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Updating with more information.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Nymous Offline
Average Joe

Name: Clara

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 21st 2010, 07:33 PM

It's horrible. It's a real tragedy. When I saw it for the first time on the news... well, I can tell you that I cried for an hour in my bed.
Everything is gone. People are dying or wounded, buildings are collapsed, whole the country is... there's nothing.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 21st 2010, 07:36 PM

Its so sad to see their faces on the news. I feel so sorry for all the people who have been affected by this. So many people died
I think NZ donated about 2million approx, there are 4million in the country so I guess its like half of us have given a dollar which doesn't seem that great but its still a bit!

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Haiti:officials fear 100,000 dead after earthquake - January 21st 2010, 08:03 PM

It's the people who say "Why should we help other people?, why should other countries depend on us?" that really, really bother me.

I had a discussion with someone today that believed that we should just let them be. -_-

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

Closed Thread