TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 03:20 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...0-noprom_N.htm

A Mississippi county school board announced Wednesday it would cancel its upcoming prom after a gay student petitioned to bring a same-sex date to the event.
"Due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events, the Itawamba County School District has decided to not host a prom at Itawamba Agricultural High School this year," school board members said in a statement.
Constance McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba, recently challenged a school policy prohibiting her from bringing her girlfriend as her date to the April 2 prom. McMillen, who is a lesbian, and the Mississippi chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union urged school officials to reverse the policy both on McMillen's choice of date and attire. She also wanted to wear a tuxedo to the dance.
ACLU attorney Christine Sun said her organization receives requests for help every year from students facing anti-gay prom policies. The complaints are especially prevalent in the South where attitudes toward sexuality are more conservative, she said.
In the announcement, the school board encouraged the community to organize a private prom. "It is our hope that private citizens will organize an event for the juniors and seniors. "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes anyone," the statement concluded. School officials did not respond to calls seeking comment.

The announcement alarmed McMillen.
"Oh, my God. That's really messed up because the message they are sending is that if they have to let gay people go to prom that they are not going to have one," she said. "A bunch of kids at school are really going to hate me for this."
School officials told McMillen last month that she could not bring her sophomore girlfriend to the prom and also told her she could not wear a tuxedo. The school then circulated a memo that prohibited same-sex dates.

GIRL WEARS TUXEDO: Girl in tuxedo denied a place in school yearbook
'FOOTLOOSE' REVISITE Ohio teen suspended for going to a prom

ACLU of Mississippi issued a letter demanding the district change its policy. The letter gave it until Wednesday to decide on a course of action.
The ban on same-sex dates is a violation of McMillen's constitutional rights, said Sun, the ACLU's senior attorney on gay rights. "We believe the law is pretty clear," Sun said. "The school just can't arbitrarily say you have to bring an opposite date to the prom."

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 03:34 AM

All I can say is wow....
People need to stop living under rocks and accept each other. This is just horrible.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 03:41 AM

whats up with all the gay rejection in the news lately? Yeah, I know it happens. Its just saddening.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 04:13 AM

That's ridiculous. The world doesn't seem to be moving forward at all, it's pathetic.

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

Send a message via MSN to WhySoSerious?  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 05:29 AM

Well cancelling the prom is a bit extreme, I don't see the need to do that. I completely understand the not letting her wear a tuxedo, and not letting her go to prom with a same sex is all fine in my book. I completely understand them not letting her do that, but why let her ruin the prom for all of the other kids?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 07:47 AM

If they really feel this strongly about being against homosexuality, why not just say the couple cannot come, at least not with same-sex partners? They've ruined the prom for all other students and you only get 1 prom of your own. They sacrifice others simply to keep their views but I wonder, would the other kids at the prom really give two shits if there was a lesbian couple? Prom is about celebration and fun, sometimes also drinking and whatever else, so probably many wouldn't have cared. It seems extremely childish and pig-headed to me.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Well cancelling the prom is a bit extreme, I don't see the need to do that. I completely understand the not letting her wear a tuxedo, and not letting her go to prom with a same sex is all fine in my book. I completely understand them not letting her do that, but why let her ruin the prom for all of the other kids?
And this is exactly the kind of sentiment we shouldn't have. She didn't ruin anything, or attempt to. If you're looking to place blame, then the spoiling of everyone's good time is entirely due to backward, homophobic mindsets held by the school faculty.

In any event, I'm torn between between hoping these stories continue and hoping they stop. On the one hand, I feel for all the gay people who have to fight this hard just to be treated fairly. On the other, the religious right is doing a glorious job of ruining its already poor image; and that's not something I'm ever going to be unhappy about.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 01:11 PM

Annnnd the right wing Hipocracy train continues a-chuggin on

I can hear it now!

*NOEQUALRIGHTS-NOEQUALRIGHTS-NOEQUALRIGHTS-NOEQUALRIGHTS*

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Uhhh. She should be able to wear a tux to the prom. It's her prom. She should be able to wear whatever she wants. I mean, if a straight girl wanted to wear a tux, she would probably be allowed. I honestly think that life is what you make it. If other kids want to let the gay couple affect how much fun they have then that's their deal. It's completely not fair to cancel the prom for everybody and deny kids the right to express how they feel and who they really are. Its not like the couple was going to have sex on the dance floor. This is rediculous.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
but why let her ruin the prom for all of the other kids?
I think you mean, "why let a bunch of homophobic bigots ruin prom for everyone because they don't believe in people being treated equally regardless of sexual orientation?"

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsee View Post
Uhhh. She should be able to wear a tux to the prom. It's her prom. She should be able to wear whatever she wants. I mean, if a straight girl wanted to wear a tux, she would probably be allowed.
Actually if you go and look at the school website, they have a very strict dress code policy to begin with. So not being able to wear a tuxedo, I really don’t think, has anything to do with the fact that she wants to bring a female date. They aren’t even allowed to wear strappy or strapless dresses and they have to be knee length or longer.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 05:01 PM

That's crap. I'm not big gay advocate (as most of you know) but that's just crap. People should be able to do as they please in these types of situation... what business is it of the institution who she chooses to date.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 06:18 PM

This is a tough situation, on one side for the girl I actually feel sorry for her everyone is going to get on her back that it was her fault prom got canceled.
One thing I don’t get is why would she ask to bring her girlfriend why couldn’t she just go to the prom wearing a dress and not saying anything about her girlfriend and just go. I don’t really understand that exactly a prom dance is but I’m guessing it’s just a regular dance people go to have fun. The school did go a little too far by canceling the prom just because of this.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 06:23 PM

That's really weird. I'm bringing a girl to my prom. Not really has a ''date date'' but just because there are no guys I want to bring. xD Loads of girls in my school bring female dates. (And I go to a school run by the Catholic church )

You'd really think this sort of discrimination wouldn't be still going on. =/

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Would it be okay for them to deny an African American or a Hispanic a ticket to prom? Would it be okay for them to deny a Mexican, a Latino, an Arab? Of course not! So why should it be okay for them to deny a gay?

She didn't ruin the prom, THEY did. It's not the gays who are on this "mission to ruin the world" as it seems that people think. They don't need to. The homophobic bigots already are.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 07:24 PM

The worst part is (correct me if I'm wrong) that they seem to have canceled prom to punish her in a way. Obviously it was canceled because of her, and in another article I read she was repeating very negative things that classmates had said to her. Its all being blamed on the fact that she is homosexual, and she is the one that had to go back to school and face the whole student body being mad completely alone for a ridiculous reason ... they pretty much should have just said "that's what she gets for being gay." What an absolutely disgusting and close-minded thing for that school to do.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 07:47 PM

I think it is ridiculous but I am glad that she fought for what she believed to be right.

On a side note, to say that the world hasn't come very far is wrong in a way. I mean, we still have a long ways to go but I think most of the country is waay more accepting than this. The thing is she lives somewhere like georgia and it is a known fact that places back there are waaaaay behind in the times. Heck I know someone who went back there and was in a biracial relationship and boy oh boy did they get hell for it.

The world has a long way to go but we have definitely come a far ways.

Personally, I don't see how they can just cancel prom and not have some kind of repercussions but that might just be me. Ugh, sometimes people just make me sick.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsee View Post
Uhhh. She should be able to wear a tux to the prom. It's her prom. She should be able to wear whatever she wants. I mean, if a straight girl wanted to wear a tux, she would probably be allowed. I honestly think that life is what you make it. If other kids want to let the gay couple affect how much fun they have then that's their deal. It's completely not fair to cancel the prom for everybody and deny kids the right to express how they feel and who they really are. Its not like the couple was going to have sex on the dance floor. This is rediculous.
It's against the dress code for one, so it is breaking a school rule. Secondly it IS not fair to cancel prom, I agree with you there, just don't let her bring a date of the same sex. It is ok to deny someone the "right" (it's not a right) to express how they feel, it's called censorship, it's done all the time. A lesbian couple will cause a distraction for the other kids and therefore detract from everyone else's experience.

Space Flight Awards

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
It's against the dress code for one, so it is breaking a school rule. Secondly it IS not fair to cancel prom, I agree with you there, just don't let her bring a date of the same sex. It is ok to deny someone the "right" (it's not a right) to express how they feel, it's called censorship, it's done all the time. A lesbian couple will cause a distraction for the other kids and therefore detract from everyone else's experience.
I agree with the dress code thing... but it is a bit primitive to not allow her to bring someone of the same sex. What proof do they even have that it is a date anyways? Is she a registered lesbian? Even if they knew for sure, it's just stupid to not permit her to be a lesbian. I am not sure how kiddos are "distracted from it" given that most students are with the times already and accept whatever comes their way, sexual preference wise. I know far less kids who discriminate against gays than adults. And it is NOT okay to deny someone the freedom of expression. Censorship is NOT okay.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 11th 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phin View Post
I agree with the dress code thing... but it is a bit primitive to not allow her to bring someone of the same sex. What proof do they even have that it is a date anyways? Is she a registered lesbian? Even if they knew for sure, it's just stupid to not permit her to be a lesbian. I am not sure how kiddos are "distracted from it" given that most students are with the times already and accept whatever comes their way, sexual preference wise. I know far less kids who discriminate against gays than adults. And it is NOT okay to deny someone the freedom of expression. Censorship is NOT okay.
It really depends on the area, if I remember correctly this is the South, and from years of living there I can tell you it is not a Liberal place, gays are strongly disliked.

Space Flight Awards

(#21 (permalink)) Old
dang, its me Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Darryl

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 12:02 AM

The discrimation shown by the school is just wrong. A persons sexual orientation has nothing to do with a prom.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 12:06 AM

Canceling it IS a bit extreme.
People can be so close minded and judgmental.
Its so sad

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Slade Offline
Peep ^_^
Not a n00b

Name: Taylor

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
if I remember correctly this is the South, and from years of living there I can tell you it is not a Liberal place, gays are strongly disliked.
Exactly, It's Mississippi, and in the south, you just about get burned alive for being anything BUT straight. The south is the Bible Belt, where everyone absolutely a carbon copy of eachother and "different" is frowned upon. The sad truth is, the south will be one of the very last (and I do mean last) places to support Prop. 8 or anything like this. Being gay is a sin here, and it is only a state of mind, which can be fixed, with Jesus, and a good ole man (or woman) to set you straight (litterally) in the bed.

But conformity is a sin.

February 14th, 2009;
The day I set my heart free, forever.

Send a message via AIM to Slade Send a message via MSN to Slade Send a message via Skype™ to Slade 
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
fall to romance Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 01:41 AM

That's absurd! She should be able to bring whoever she wants as her date, wear what she wants, etc! I hate how close-minded people are! I mean, seriously? People shouldn't be discriminated against just because of what gender they like. (People shouldn't be discriminated against anyway.) It's not exactly like you can choose who to love. It doesn't work like that.

-B
--

R.I.P. my sweet baby boy. I miss you so much more than you could have ever imagined.

"There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that. . . . But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.”-Gerard Way

(#25 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 02:08 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're OK.

Hmm.....

MISSISSIPPI

How can a place with so many 'eyes' be so blind?!

GBH - Craig!!

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 03:20 AM

The dress code might be sketch but why tell them that the other girl is a date? Just say it's a friend and problem averted.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 03:33 AM

The girlfriend probably was another student at that school, and the school probably were aware of this, so maybe she couldnt sneak her gf as just a friend. Maybe she wanted to be allowed to kiss her girlfriend at the prom? There could be lots of reasons.

And I'm sorry, but its absurd to support a dresses only for girls dress code in the modern world. I mean really? Ok, they have a strict dress code, long skirts and no strap dresses? Well... that seems to be restricting nudity more then anything, which is fair enough. But a tux is actually covering up more. Some of us aren't comfortable in dresses I didnt go to my prom because I didnt want to wear a dress, and thought other students would mocked me if I wore a tux. I regret missing my prom. Interestingly though, one or two of the straight girls decided to go in tuxes. Why should the girl have to go in a type of clothing she would be highly uncomfortable in? How does wearing a tux effect the other students?

Also, as for distracting the other students, if she was willing to go to the prom, chances are, she feels comfortable being out with them, as she is probably out in school, and knows how things are with her class mates. And in a room full of straight couples, if you are distracted by 1 same sex couple (particularly as there are probably strict behaviour rules), then you probably need to get a life?

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 03:42 AM

I read about this earlier today. I was completely in shock. I can't believe people are so stuck in their tiny mindset that they would be so bigoted. It's like they're cavemen - they're not even taking into account the feelings of anyone. Gahhh!

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 12th 2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxers rock View Post
The dress code might be sketch but why tell them that the other girl is a date? Just say it's a friend and problem averted.
Because it's unjust, and there's a lot to be said for being the one brave enough to stand up and say as much. Good on her for not backing down.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 13th 2010, 12:45 PM

they can set the dress code to whatever they want really.. so i don't have a problem with that. but i think it is very out of order to cancel the prom because of this. also, i think people should be able to take whoever they want [within reason - some schools don't allow people to bring dates who don't attend that school, understandably.] but the gender of the date shouldn't be an issue. it's sad, really. :/

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#31 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 13th 2010, 05:29 PM

At my school, I remember that not only were you allowed to bring people of same gender (no questions asked) but you could also bring non-school people (sign a form) and you could wear whatever the hell you wanted to. Some of those dresses were my oh my, and I never even doubted that prom could be any other way. Oh mississippi, what is this?

I wish they would change their minds, or at least that the PTA would step in and help the kids host a "private prom"--at the very least. They should all have a prom, even if the school is too inane to give it to them.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 14th 2010, 12:19 AM

I think that canceling the prom because of this is way over the top.
Also I think that people should stop being so close minded and judgmental. I can't stand people who think that gays/lesbians are "bad" people.

Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Blazer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mike

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 14th 2010, 01:28 AM

You people can relinquish your anger. The AHA has stepped in to help organize and fund a prom for these students to give them a one that they damn well deserve whether the school likes it or not.

http://www.americanhumanist.org/news...e-prom-in-miss

Quote:
For Immediate Release (Washington, DC, March 12, 2010) The American Humanist Association (AHA) stepped forward today and offered to plan and fund a prom for the Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Mississippi. The Itawamba County School District made headlines earlier this week by cancelling their prom rather than letting a lesbian student, Constance McMillen, bring her girlfriend as her date.

“It’s shameful that closed-minded members of the school board are prepared to deprive an entire class of students their prom over their outdated religious mores.” said Roy Speckhardt, Executive Director of the AHA. "People can hold to any belief or no belief in this nation, but the school board misuses their position when they try to impose their beliefs on the student population in Itawamba.”

McMillen was barred from the prom after making it known that she intended to bring a same-sex date. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Mississippi became involved and demanded the school reverse its policy. The school board responded by cancelling the prom.

“The ACLU is doing good work in Mississippi, and we humanists can also bring resources to the table that will defend students from a repressive school board,” added Speckhardt. “Prom is a special event for teens across America; we’ll make sure it’s a special night for these students as well.”
AHA members Todd and Diana Stiefel made a $20,000 grant available to the AHA for the purpose of holding a prom in Itawamba County. The AHA will be discussing logistics with the pertinent parties today.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 14th 2010, 01:46 AM

I don't get why they cancelled the prom. It seems stupid to do that just because a girl wanted to bring another girl. I also think that she should of been able to bring a girl if she wanted to. She's not hurting anyone by it.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#35 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 14th 2010, 06:00 PM

This really pissed me off.
There are girls who always just bring their friends to prom, sure it's not a gay thing but they still do it.
Just because she is dating a girl they should cancel prom?
Talk about being close minded.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 14th 2010, 06:48 PM

I think it's stupid. Really dumb. I could go on about how wrong the school is for doing that

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 14th 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
You people can relinquish your anger. The AHA has stepped in to help organize and fund a prom for these students to give them a one that they damn well deserve whether the school likes it or not.

http://www.americanhumanist.org/news...e-prom-in-miss

Not the AHA Responsiblity its the schools job to host prom.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 15th 2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I didn't realize the dress code thing.
It is a right to be able to express how you feel.
It's called freedom of speech. It's in the consittution.
It's not as if they are going to be having sex on the dance floor. And besides, a group of friends that are girls go to prom together all the time. They slow dance together, dance together, laugh together etc. So is it the title of it that throws people off?

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jess

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 17th 2010, 03:09 AM

Wowwww. As someone who goes to a performing arts school...

this would just not fly here, and i don't see why it's acceptable to deny a girl her right to enjoy her highschool prom just because she's a lesbian?

The only date restrictions we have is that we can't bring someone 21+(which I know a few of my friends are fighting, as they're adults and have 21 year old boyfriends).

skydiversinreverse

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Prom canceled after lesbian's date Request.. - March 18th 2010, 01:40 AM

Maybe I'm completely wrong about the prom process (considering I've never been to prom before), and correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't she just invite her girlfriend under the radar? Seems like she was out to personally attack the school if she's petitioning and challenging the school board before the prom actually goes on. Seems kind of stupid on her part because (again, correct me if I'm wrong), if she didn't mention ANYTHING to the school about her bringing her girlfriend, not only would she bring her girlfriend, but the prom wouldn't be cancelled? Am I right? Maybe she'd be thrown out by school officials if they caught the two girls dancing, which I think is the BEST thing to do if you're trying to prove a point about the system's flaws. It's like you knew the answer of what was gonna happen if you brought your girlfriend along, only you made a big deal out of it before prom happened.

But if I'm completely wrong, just disregard this post =D

Closed Thread