TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 27th 2010, 06:14 PM

I have read/watched/saw so many people think he's so negative. Don't you all think if he was still alive this world would be a better place? It isn't like he wanted to be the way he was. He made a choice, of course. I still think he could have been left alone and lived a normal life.

Am I missing something here about him?
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 27th 2010, 10:08 PM

. . . . . he' s a terrorist . . . . .

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 27th 2010, 10:14 PM

Lolwut?

Explain how you think the world would be better if he was still alive?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 27th 2010, 10:16 PM

While I can understand that Iraq would be more peaceful if he was still in power the fact is that he was a genocidal dictator and we cannot stand idly by while that happens

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 27th 2010, 10:51 PM

Have you used some kind of time machine and have actually just come out of the 1980's when the world loved Saddam Hussein?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 27th 2010, 10:59 PM

Huh!? This is confusing. How can you think a terrorist is a good person...........? Is this a joke?

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 27th 2010, 11:05 PM

I'd like to hear your arguements here.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 28th 2010, 12:56 AM

I don't really see how he is a terrorist. Terrorist in which way?

He killed a lot of people but he didn't use guerilla tactics. He just ordered them dead. He could.

For the record OP I definitely thought someone was trolling but I see you have 300 posts and are staff.

While I'm against the Iraq War it was not some magical wonderland before we invaded. It's not known how many people he killed but could have been up to a million (Though a lot of those would be attributed to the wars he started with neighbouring countries).

Not to mention the purges and genocide (Though he killed nowhere near the amount of people who died in the holocaust, his killing of the Kurds is remembered as one of the worst acts of genocides in the 20th century).

I don't understand your reasoning. I think the world is a better place without him. He did want to be the way he was. He wanted to be rich and didn't care about individual life.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

Last edited by Marguerite; July 28th 2010 at 06:21 AM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 28th 2010, 01:04 AM

Saddam was an ass. And were it not for the American occupation his country would be much better off without him. He killed people just because he felt like, that's not really the type of person to have control of a country.

I will say though that we had no right to go over there. Saddam was horrible but it wasn't our business we are NOT the world police. Our administration made this ridiculous leap from 9/11 to overthrowing Saddam. No country has the right to go into another country and overthrow their leader no matter how evil. Now if the people had started a revolution against him in Iraq and asked for assistance, then we could have gone over there. Anyway this is off topic. Saddam was a dick and we are all glad he's gone.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 28th 2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Saddam was an ass. And were it not for the American occupation his country would be much better off without him. He killed people just because he felt like, that's not really the type of person to have control of a country.

I will say though that we had no right to go over there. Saddam was horrible but it wasn't our business we are NOT the world police. Our administration made this ridiculous leap from 9/11 to overthrowing Saddam. No country has the right to go into another country and overthrow their leader no matter how evil. Now if the people had started a revolution against him in Iraq and asked for assistance, then we could have gone over there. Anyway this is off topic. Saddam was a dick and we are all glad he's gone.
I don't know. I don't think the Iraq war was worth it, but surely they could have settled this with a few men and a sniper rifle and not invading the country (I'm aware that it's not the reason we invaded before anyone says it, I'm just saying).

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 28th 2010, 03:10 AM

he was convicted of killing over 100 of his own people and was a cruel and evil man. however, I don't believe that Saddam Hussein should have been killed. was he a horrible person? undoubtedly. i am whole-heartedly against the death penalty. but i do understand the laws and culture in Iraq are very different to how they are here. I think killing him just gives the opportunity for him to be seen a martyr.

but OP, what are your arguments in favour of him? i really cannot think of any.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 28th 2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I have read/watched/saw so many people think he's so negative. Don't you all think if he was still alive this world would be a better place? It isn't like he wanted to be the way he was. He made a choice, of course. I still think he could have been left alone and lived a normal life.

Am I missing something here about him?
Other than the whole USING NERVE GAS TO KILL THOUSANDS OF KURDS, I'm sure he would have been an awesome guy

/sarcasm

He was a tyrant. He killed around 180,000 civilians in the Al-Anfal campaign (http://www.gendercide.org/case_anfal.html) because they attempted to assert their own independence after the first Gulf War.

Is this a serious thread? Like, really?

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 28th 2010, 04:21 AM

Chill people. It seems more that the OP doesn't know the details about what actually happened there more than anything else, and she has every right to ask for said details.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 28th 2010, 11:25 PM

Yes, chill people. I'm not actually sure what Anna is saying/asking, so it would be better to wait for her to clarify than to automatically assume anything.

Saddam was a dictator who killed hundreds of his own people, and he had two goals, power and fortune. Would Iraq be better if he was still in charge? Probably not.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 29th 2010, 12:17 AM

He was a dictator and he had his duaghters husbands murdered. his daughters know that it was him. On the other hadn, Iraq was a lot safer for the people who live there when he was in control. Sure, he had people killed, but at least you could walk down the street without the fear of being blown up - and it was an iraqi woman that I heard this from, i'm not just assuming.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Why did so many people dislike Saddam Hussein? - July 29th 2010, 02:20 PM

I think America overstepped its bounds with "Operation Iraqi Freedom," especially since they're anything but "free" (using the American idea) now. I'm glad Saddam is gone. But his removal should have been a joint operation--why couldn't we talk to other world leaders and come to some sort of group decision that was supported instead of blundering in and going "Oi! Removing terror = our decision and our job. Step aside." Steps could have been taken to ensure that the country was under proper government and the complete shambles it has become could have been avoided.

But yes. Essentially, he killed loads of people and it is for sure not a bad thing that he's gone.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

Closed Thread