TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Goatboy Offline
Full-time Vicarious Vampire
Regular TeenHelper

Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 12:16 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ence-secretary
Liam Fox has called the fact that you can as the a Taliban fighter during multi-player in the latest Medal of Honour game as "un-British", saying "I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

Dice already knew this would be controversial:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Medal-of-Honor

Personally I think he is over-reacting, they may be seeing if they get more attention from this like COD did with the airport scene, however in games there has to be 'bad-guys', and numerous other games have had you play as terrorist or nazi's. You can't play cops and robbers without someone playing as the robbers. Though I can see how some people may be uncomfortable about this.

Thoughts?

Life is a waterfall,
we're one in the river,
and one again after the fall.
We drink from the river,
then we turn around and put up our walls.
When you lose small mind,
you free your life.
When you free your eyes,
eternal prize.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 12:25 PM

I do agree that it is 'just a game' but with the war still going on and British service men and women still being killed regularly I do think it's very tasteless. Ugh.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 01:49 PM

its a game, really, i dont find it all that tasteless, in COD, you have the option to play as the "terrorist" and they havent done much about it, just its a game get over the fact that a character or class is the " taliban, and just enjoy the game.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 02:28 PM

At the end of the day, most of those who fight for the Taliban are individuals who have been attracted by propaganda, in existing unrest toward the west.... basically, they are people too and although they are the enemy most of them probably feel they are fighting for justice (dont get me wrong Im not pro-Taliban)... I think its only fair if you can go round killing them in a WAR game, you can also use them

Thats how war games are now a days, you generally can use both sides. Like in COD Im pretty sure you can use the sides you play as and your enemies in multiplayer (which sounds to actually be the case for the Taliban playing... is it even in story mode?). I think people should be more uncomfortable that people spend hundreds of hours playing war games killing person after person, demanding more and more realistic graphics. I dont actually have a problem with war games, but I think that should be a bigger issue. And surely turning war into entertainment is more disrespectful to soldiers than what characters you can use?

Last time I played a modern war game, I think I was an American soldier, I wasnt sitting there thinking 'Hell yes USA! Die you Russian scum!', nor when I played a Russian did I really sit there and think 'yay for foiling the Allied Forces!'. They are games, and usually the thrill is simply the gameplay, the political issues are not your focus on the whole. Particularly if its simply multiplayer. I've watched people play multiplayer, and the only relevance of side is being able to recognise who you are meant to shoot or not, the players tend to be far more focused on headshots, ammo and stuff than anything else.

And this:

Quote:
"It's shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban," said Fox. "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands.
Nice to know that this can only be said for the Taliban?

Quote:
"I am disgusted and angry. It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."
Thoroughly would imply the game was mostly Taliban killing the British, it actually sounds like a small part?

Last edited by Marvin; August 24th 2010 at 02:37 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 05:11 PM

While the war is going on and many British are being killed, you could argue the fact that they even have a game revolving around a serious war in the first place is tasteless in itself. If players of war games don't really relate to the characters they play as, as they claim, they should probably really only make original characters for the games instead of real-life ones. I guess the fact is, who you get to play as really does have an impact on game sales.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 05:27 PM

I think people like to have some games that are realistic, and therefore some war games with loose connections to real wars have an attraction. But I dont think people care so much about the politics of the wars within the game. I bet most COD players for example could not really describe wars and what was going on in them. Most of the missions are fictional or only loosely based on events, and storyline if there is usually skipable (for a reason). Its like their are racing games based on real leagues and people, but most the time, players are focused on gameplay. A game would not be popular enough if it simply sold itself to say F1 fans.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Goatboy Offline
Full-time Vicarious Vampire
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 09:57 PM

I basically agree with Invert

I too detected a bit of hypocrisy with the:
"At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands."

I enjoy violent video games, however I tend to lean to pacifism - and I do prefer if everything is fictional - saying that I used to play online WW2 shooters a lot (MOH AA + DOD) and 70% of the time I played as the Germans as I preferred their weapons or the Russians if I could. On MOH AA I usually used the Elite SS Guard uniform as it was black and looked cool, though I consider Nazism evil. Though I think people have trouble with this particular case as the war is still going on, and some people may know or even be related to people in the armed forces - therefore the idea as playing as the 'enemy' is something they find "tasteless" as they don't want to fight against their loved ones even if it is a game. I personally think it would be good if video games had nothing to do with politics.

I see no problem with violent games, as I said before I enjoy them, however I think that it's best if they are not connected to current events. Though maybe this could help people see that even in this war there are two sides. Whether we agree with the other one or not.

Life is a waterfall,
we're one in the river,
and one again after the fall.
We drink from the river,
then we turn around and put up our walls.
When you lose small mind,
you free your life.
When you free your eyes,
eternal prize.

Last edited by Goatboy; August 24th 2010 at 10:02 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 24th 2010, 11:36 PM

I don't think it's a problem.

Perhaps it's tasteless, but no more tasteless than going around killing hookers in Grand Theft Auto or pretty much any other shooting game.

I think it's funny that the problem isn't that people are virtually killing people, but that they are killing people as the Taliban. If they had been killing the Taliban would it have been good and wholesome?

All in all I know nothing about video games and don't play them but I would imagine that it is the same with other games. If you play a game where you chop people's heads off with swords, are you going to go and do that in real life? Or be sympathetic towards people who do?

I know I'll probably get attacked for saying this but I tend to be against kids playing violent shoot em up type games in the first place. All in all though, it is a parents responsibility to control what they're playing and making sure that it's suitable for their age group.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 25th 2010, 06:07 PM

Firstly I'd like to mention that this game in particular was based entirely off the experiances of several servicemen, who worked with the developers in developping it. So if anyone thinks it's somehow disrespectful to people currently serving in Afghanistan, read through an interview or two with the devs on how they developped it.

What's important as others have said is that the multiplayer serves a different purpose to the single player, eschewing plot and timeline for a more ambiguous experiance where the player's skill is the most important outcome decider. In most cases both sides are identical in all but cosmetic differences (Counter-Strike being the notable exception). So playing as "Taliban" is little different from playing as "Saudi Arabian Royal Guard" or whatever, it's still a balanced Red v Blue situation.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 25th 2010, 10:36 PM

I really don't care who I play as honestly. If I play as the Taliban, meh. I don't really give a shit tbh. Just lemme have some fun, ya know? Also, it's just a skin. You don't play as them in the campaign either.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 26th 2010, 04:37 AM

Being able to play as the Taliban soldiers does not bother me. What bothers me is the fact the thousands of people are sitting at home playing war games and killing people( And that the new HP game is a one player shooter but that's unrelated). Honestly, it's a game. Like someone said, in cop games, someone has to be the robber. Someone always has to be the bad guy.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 26th 2010, 04:14 PM

Its fine, as long as the game is just a game, there is nothing wrong about this, you're just engaged in combat, not comitting acts of terror. Admitedly though, I CAN see how some people might be bothered about this, such as I always play on the German team in video games because shooting at other Germans bother me, so I never played as the Russians or the United States in Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 26th 2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Admitedly though, I CAN see how some people might be bothered about this, such as I always play on the German team in video games because shooting at other Germans bother me, so I never played as the Russians or the United States in Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.
This is interesting, because I myself (and many gamers I know) see myself as shooting at the player, who necessarily has to be represented by a person. But I'm not shooting at "a soldier", rather this gamer's character.

Similarly I am not killing a person, I'm scoring against the gamer. The "crime" of virtual killing only exists inside the game, but we all live in a world outside of the game, and the context in which we play the game is that of the outside world.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 26th 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
This is interesting, because I myself (and many gamers I know) see myself as shooting at the player, who necessarily has to be represented by a person. But I'm not shooting at "a soldier", rather this gamer's character.

Similarly I am not killing a person, I'm scoring against the gamer. The "crime" of virtual killing only exists inside the game, but we all live in a world outside of the game, and the context in which we play the game is that of the outside world.
The only crime for killing an in-game player is either a bounty, or a tirade over voice-chat for being a spawn-camping-noob.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Playing as Taliban - August 27th 2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post

Now absolutely, of course it is not "real" killing as it is simply pixels colored to look like a person, but I am still bothered by shooting at, real or fake, a fellow German, especially one who would, in real life, be defending my country. I am just bothered by the thought of shooting at someone who could have just as easily been me if I was born 70-80 years ago.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Closed Thread