TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question The media. - September 13th 2010, 10:52 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Well I was just wondering, can the media influence use to develop an Eating Disorder, make us commit suicide, etc? Or does people put too much pressure on certain movies, music, etc?
I personally believe that the media in some ways doesn't have an influence on people these days because they aren't really saying "Actually do this because it's really good. It's enjoyable." Most of them are expressing how some people struggle with certain things.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: The media. - September 13th 2010, 11:08 AM

Develop a disorder, yes. Commit suicide, probably not. I can't think of a reason the media might give to commit suicide, but it does present plenty to try to be something impossible.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: The media. - September 13th 2010, 01:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the media plays a role in influencing everyone's beliefs, thoughts and values. In fact, I know it does.

Consider:

Quote:
51% of Indian men say wife beating is justified, 54% women agree, especially when dinner is burned or they leave home without husband’s permission.

Indian laws to protect women are widely ignored. The government has tried monetary rewards to keep baby girls and supported microfinance for women. NGO programs, smaller condoms, and other projects have had limited success.

People had little interest in State run TV channel due to poor reception or boring programs. But cable television has helped women, as 150 million people between 2001-2006 got cable TV which gave them exposure to wider world.

American economists found that the effect of TV in 2700 households empowered women to be more autonomous. Cable TV households had lower birthrates, less domestic abuse and kept daughters in schools.
(Superfreakonomics, Steven D Levitt and Stephen J Dubner)

I know that, in the book itself, Levitt explains that the use of economics, as the gathering of statistics and correlated ideas, shouldn't be used to emphasise a point or argue a point, but I believe that this directly relates to the topic at hand.

To rephrase the question: "Without media influence, would we think differently?"
According to these statistics: absolutely.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Crazy Filmmaker Offline
Not a n00b

Re: The media. - September 13th 2010, 03:12 PM

the media can influence a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnVD7WuarSo&ob=av2n check out this song, its all about how the media can influence people.

Young man control in your hand
Slam your fist on the table
And make your demand
Take a stand
Fan a fire for the flame of the youth
Got the freedom to choose
You better make the right move

(#5 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Re: The media. - September 13th 2010, 07:48 PM

im anti media because they dramatise EVERYTHING! and yes i do think that they have influence on people!

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: The media. - September 16th 2010, 06:26 AM

I am sure that maybe they have some influence, but if you think about it, could skinny models really cause a person to starve themselves to near death? I developed an eating disorder because feelings I had about myself, absolutely nothing to do with the media, I mean everyone is different, but I don't think the media should be blamed for that.
Also, celebrities with eating disorders are struggling the same amount as we are, if not worse. They have a lot of pressure on them to look their best, any little bit of flab and they are on the front page. I have never seen a magazine or TV programme actually encourage eating disorders.
As for suicide, I highly doubt the media has any influence. Every one of you with depression will know the horrible feelings that come with it, the sadness you feel on some days and the times where you feel like you want to die...but you have never actually killed yourself. Imagine how someone must feel before they kill themselves...pretty bad huh? I dont think the media could do or say anything to influence suicidal people.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: The media. - September 16th 2010, 07:06 AM

The media does influence people but even those who develop certain disorders, such as eating disorders, may not have been influenced by the media a lot. For suicide, I think it has even less likelihood because there's not much content that I would think is allowed that would encourage it. For models, media encourages being thin perhaps to a point of unhealthy but doesn't encourage slitting wrists or shooting oneself in the head. It still does affect it though by glorifying suicide and self-harm mostly through certain music bands that glorify it.

The media doesn't have to tell someone to do something to get them to do it. Think of advertising, many ads don't tell people to buy the product yet people do because they're influenced by the ad. Rather, the media can bring a phenomenon of "in-group, out-group", whereby people who wear the latest fashion are "in-group", those who don't are "out-group". Similarly, those who don't abide by whatever the media is showing, are considered "out-group". Humans are the ones that realize this and may want to change their status to "in-group", which means changing themselves and observing what the media is showing. It may not show how to get the results, it just shows certain results are what's desired. So through that, it most certainly influences people. Some people don't care for what the "in-group" shows so they're comfortable as "out-group" or they aren't comfortable yet also aren't comfortable with what the "in-group" shows.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: The media. - September 16th 2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Develop a disorder, yes. Commit suicide, probably not. I can't think of a reason the media might give to commit suicide, but it does present plenty to try to be something impossible.
Agreed. I don't see influences for suicide in Media. But with the idea of beauty being based on an itty-bitty waist, that can definitely influence an eating disorder.

In fact, I know that personally, I've felt like purging, or even outright skipping meals, or hurting myself, after having a bad day and seeing some gorgeous chicks on TV, then seeing my disgusting self.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: The media. - September 18th 2010, 09:58 PM

I don't think anyone should blame the media, yes they have an impact but everyone should be responsible for themselves.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: The media. - September 18th 2010, 10:15 PM

I think that the media does have an influence on people... Mostly in the ED department, not suicide.
I mean, if you look in all the magazines they don't exactly show the bigger people... All the pictures are of girls and guys that are skinny and have nice bodies.
Not to mention (usually during the summer) they'll like make fun of the celebrities bodies if they've gained a bit of weight...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Crazy Filmmaker Offline
Not a n00b

Re: The media. - September 19th 2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider*man(girl) View Post
I don't think anyone should blame the media, yes they have an impact but everyone should be responsible for themselves.
yes everyone should be responsible and not care what the media says.
but thats in the perfect world.

now in the real world where you get teased for being overweight, looking at any movie/tv show/commercial/magazine... ect and you see people with the "perfect" body and the media basically that your not beautiful unless your that figure or your not using blank product, or if you dont use blank product you wont be beautiful. and being bombarded with ads like that since you were young it will have a HUGE impact more then you will think, and when the person is at the young age of being impressionable the person will take it to heart and follow that basically.

so it yes it makes an impact, but a big enough impact where it takes control of the youth,

Young man control in your hand
Slam your fist on the table
And make your demand
Take a stand
Fan a fire for the flame of the youth
Got the freedom to choose
You better make the right move

Closed Thread