TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
FlyingTrue's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: United States (FL)

Posts: 1,048
Join Date: March 31st 2010

6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 17th 2010, 10:16 PM

The parent of a 6-year-old girl complained that one of the cheers was inappropriate. The response from the squad was to kick the girl off the team!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6875667.shtml

How outrageous...
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 17th 2010, 10:23 PM

In what way is kicking a girl off the team going to make her mother complain less? Although there's more stupidity:
Quote:
Ron Messig, a parent from the area, said, "What it really comes down to is what one person wants against what everybody else wants."
Just because you want your daughter to tempt pedophiles doesn't mean it's right...
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while
********
 
iHEAVENn's Avatar
 
Name: Amy
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Portland, Oregon

Posts: 1,306
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 17th 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
"Our back's are breaking, our skirts too tight, we shake our booties from left to right."

If I had a 6 year old daughter I would NOT allow her to say that even if it was a cheer.

Way to go coaches way to go.


.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."




   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 17th 2010, 10:50 PM

Cheers for the mother I would not let my daughter be in that cheer team.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 17th 2010, 11:00 PM

sounds like the daughter is best away from the people running that team anyways! that's not appropriate for a 6 year old.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
CanadaCraig's Avatar
 
Age: 56
Gender: Male

Posts: 854
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 17th 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Just because you want your daughter to tempt pedophiles doesn't mean it's right...
THAT is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having super duper day!!

"Our back's are breaking, our skirts too tight, we shake our booties from left to right."

What a perverse thing to have anyone say - regardless of their age - but especially for some little kid. I HATE the sexualization of children. Kids aren't allowed to enjoy their innocence. There is always [So it often seems] some pervert out there trying to steal that innocence from them.

Kennedy [The 6 year old cheerleader] doesn't know it yet - but being kicked off THAT cheerleading them just might be the best thing that's happened to her - so far - cheerleading wise.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
   
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 17th 2010, 11:43 PM

Although inappropriate, the will of the masses shalt not be modified for the complaints of the few. They were right in not modifying their cheer.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Although inappropriate, the will of the masses shalt not be modified for the complaints of the few.They were right in not modifying their cheer.
i think this is one of the first times im gonna have to agree with you...
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 01:19 AM

I'm about as liberal as they come, but I can definitely agree that something that blatantly sexual really shouldn't be used as a cheer until the children are at least old enough to really understand what it is they're chanting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Although inappropriate, the will of the masses shalt not be modified for the complaints of the few. They were right in not modifying their cheer.
And lo, one sentence explains how you can possibly hold so many of your viewpoints.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 04:48 AM

Explain to me how this is sexual? Maybe it's just me, but I don't suddenly make the jump from a cheer to being too sexual, or sexual at all even.
Quote:
Our backs are breaking, our skirts are too tight, we shake our booties from left to right.
I don't read that as sexual, not really. I read it more as "I'm tired of cheering, can we go home now." Read it from the perspective of a kid who just wants the game to be over so they can sit down.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough
*********
 
Melody Pond's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 2,684
Blog Entries: 69
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
Explain to me how this is sexual? Maybe it's just me, but I don't suddenly make the jump from a cheer to being too sexual, or sexual at all even.

I don't read that as sexual, not really. I read it more as "I'm tired of cheering, can we go home now." Read it from the perspective of a kid who just wants the game to be over so they can sit down.
That was actually one of their cheers made up by their coaches, it isn't what the 6 year old said which I though at first.

If anything I feel bad that the girl got punished because her parents complained, I don't see why it is her fault...

Last edited by Melody Pond; September 18th 2010 at 09:25 AM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 09:21 AM

Skirts too tight? Booties shaking? It's basically saying they're teasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Although inappropriate, the will of the masses shalt not be modified for the complaints of the few. They were right in not modifying their cheer.
Great way to justify the Holocaust.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
emma01's Avatar
 
Name: Emma
Age: 25
Gender: Female

Posts: 1,386
Join Date: October 5th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 09:53 AM

I dont think the daughter should have been kicked off the team, thats not fair it was not her fault. it was however a very inapropriate cheer and the coaches of that team should have been in trouble. Not the girl. good on the mother though!
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough
*********
 
Batman.'s Avatar
 
Name: Julz
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,724
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: December 14th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 10:15 AM

You know what? Good for the mother from mentioning something. Too many parents don't look close enough into what their kids are doing.

Sure, the little girl may be upset over being kicked off the squad now, but she'll be happy when she's going to parties at 16 instead of staying home with a kid from a random dude.

*Note the above statement was satirical, not an invitation to say "Well thats rude to assume.."*


Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation



   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
I'm about as liberal as they come, but I can definitely agree that something that blatantly sexual really shouldn't be used as a cheer until the children are at least old enough to really understand what it is they're chanting.
Seconded. While I can see your point Casey, as Basil said the main part of the chant does sound pretty much like a tease. It's certainly not something I would have thought appropriate for a 6-year-old to say, cheerleading or otherwise. As for the response of the coaches, ironically given the age group of the squad the first word that springs to mind is "childish"...


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
Explain to me how this is sexual? Maybe it's just me, but I don't suddenly make the jump from a cheer to being too sexual, or sexual at all even.

I don't read that as sexual, not really. I read it more as "I'm tired of cheering, can we go home now." Read it from the perspective of a kid who just wants the game to be over so they can sit down.
not that i claim to know anything about cheerleading but i thought they're meant to be all enthusiastic and 'peppy'.. if thats so then why would they be cheering about how they're not enjoying themselves?

even IF it wasn't meant in a sexualised way it can and has been interpreted that way by a lot of people. surely the coaches can see that and think of something more appropriate.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Make Believe's Avatar
 
Name: Kayleigh
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Wales, U.K.

Posts: 6,185
Blog Entries: 190
Join Date: August 31st 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 10:56 AM

I agree with it being an inappropriate thing to say. I understand that the children may not see it as inappropriate but the adults are the ones who wrote it :/

I feel bad for her for being chucked out it's not her fault.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo

lololol @ 4:05 at her picking her nose. I love her dad's reaction lol.


"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Skirts too tight? Booties shaking? It's basically saying they're teasing.


Great way to justify the Holocaust.
Godwin's Law... you lose. Nonetheless only the strongest should survive and thrive (including mental fitness), it doesn't matter who it was from or directed at, it was a contest of strength.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Godwin's Law... you lose. Nonetheless only the strongest should survive and thrive (including mental fitness), it doesn't matter who it was from or directed at, it was a contest of strength.
So...you think Christianity (among other things) should die out. That's an interesting viewpoint coming from you.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Member
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Kitty.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kitty
Gender: Female

Posts: 6,268
Join Date: January 23rd 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 11:35 PM

That cheer is very inappropriate for a 6 year old girl.
It's good that the mother complained.
If that was my child, I would not want her on the cheer-leading squad.

I feel sorry for the little girl though. I think that they should have simply changed the cheer.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough
*********
 
Batman.'s Avatar
 
Name: Julz
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,724
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: December 14th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 18th 2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Godwin's Law... you lose. Nonetheless only the strongest should survive and thrive (including mental fitness), it doesn't matter who it was from or directed at, it was a contest of strength.
So, you think that the mentally ill should just die, because their mental "fitness" isn't the same as everyone else's? You think someone who has a suicidal episode should be left to die? Nice, real nice.


Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation



   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
So...you think Christianity (among other things) should die out. That's an interesting viewpoint coming from you.
No, we (The mostly Christian nations) are far more powerful then the rest of the world.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
No, we (The mostly Christian nations) are far more powerful then the rest of the world.


America is the only truly Christian first-world nation left, and its Christianity is tearing it half.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough
*********
 
Batman.'s Avatar
 
Name: Julz
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,724
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: December 14th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
America is the only truly Christian first-world nation left, and its Christianity is tearing it half.
What about Canada? Canada is based on Christianity and Catholicism.


Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation



   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Frosty's Avatar
 
Age: 29

Posts: 789
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Godwin's Law... you lose.
Godwins law is just a comical observation that online arguments tend to lead towards a nazi analogy. It says nothing about whether or not these analogies are valid or that said analogies constitute a logical fallacy. Therefore... you lose.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Godwins law is just a comical observation that online arguments tend to lead towards a nazi analogy. It says nothing about whether or not these analogies are valid or that said analogies constitute a logical fallacy. Therefore... you lose.
Nice comeback to a joke, bravo in missing my entire argument.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Godwin's Law... you lose.
Actually I purposefully didn't mention the Nazi's. I was referring on your comment about "the will of the masses". The Nazi's were not the masses, the German people are. Therefore I was commenting on the persecution of Jews committed by the masses of the German people, which the Nazi party plays no role in. Godwin's law is therefore void, unless you misread your own argument.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Actually I purposefully didn't mention the Nazi's. I was referring on your comment about "the will of the masses". The Nazi's were not the masses, the German people are. Therefore I was commenting on the persecution of Jews committed by the masses of the German people, which the Nazi party plays no role in. Godwin's law is therefore void, unless you misread your own argument.
No, you mentioned the Hollocaust, and therefore were using Nazism or Nazis in the statement.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough
*********
 
Union Of V's Avatar
 
Name: Basil!!!
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Cork, Ireland

Posts: 2,017
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
No, you mentioned the Hollocaust, and therefore were using Nazism or Nazis in the statement.
You are missing the meaning of Godwin's Law entirely. Godwin invented it to prevent comparisons between living people and Hitler, and between current events and the Holocaust. It's specifically designed against Reductio Ad Hitlerum attacks. I however attacked your argument saying it would lead to a Holocaust-like situation, which is a fact. It doesn't make little of the Holocaust by comparing it to a far more mundane event, and it doesn't even mention the Nazis - the Holocaust was a travesty regardless of who it was committed by. Therefore it does not fall fowl of Godwin's own intentions. QED, Godwin's Law does not apply.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Pandamonium's Avatar
 
Name: Steph
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 1,613
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 07:30 PM

PLEASE keep this to the original topic at hand. If this continues to go way off topic, it will be closed.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 19th 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
You are missing the meaning of Godwin's Law entirely. Godwin invented it to prevent comparisons between living people and Hitler, and between current events and the Holocaust. It's specifically designed against Reductio Ad Hitlerum attacks. I however attacked your argument saying it would lead to a Holocaust-like situation, which is a fact. It doesn't make little of the Holocaust by comparing it to a far more mundane event, and it doesn't even mention the Nazis - the Holocaust was a travesty regardless of who it was committed by. Therefore it does not fall fowl of Godwin's own intentions. QED, Godwin's Law does not apply.
"Fowl" is a sort of bird, "foul" is highly offensive; arousing aversion or disgust.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while
********
 
Toast's Avatar
 
Name: Toast
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,285
Join Date: January 9th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 22nd 2010, 02:13 PM

Did the unnecessary apostrophe annoy anyone else?

Anyway... it's not that inappropriate. Still, they shouldn't have kicked her off the team. Perhaps when they said the cheer she could have not participated? Or they could have not said the cheer. Those are much better reactions than kicking her off the team.


Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 23rd 2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Did the unnecessary apostrophe annoy anyone else?

Anyway... it's not that inappropriate. Still, they shouldn't have kicked her off the team. Perhaps when they said the cheer she could have not participated? Or they could have not said the cheer. Those are much better reactions than kicking her off the team.
She could have sat out the cheer. The coach said that she didn't have to say it. Her mother refused to have her sit out and refused to have her say the cheer. There are other cheerleading squads out there, including competitive cheer.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,299
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 23rd 2010, 10:48 AM

O.o I just think cheerleading is stupid, even the older people who do it look like idiots ¬.¬

But it was an immature course of action to kick the girl off of the team =/
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
luvflamingos Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
luvflamingos's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 808
Blog Entries: 37
Join Date: August 19th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 23rd 2010, 12:52 PM

I don't think its appropriate for a 6 year old. I think its ashame that she was the one punished in all this. I feel for her.
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 23rd 2010, 04:51 PM

Why do I have a feeling that they are either using a common high school cheer or they stole a high school cheer? I would love to see the entire cheer in its entirety, but I doubt I would find it appropriate.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: 6-Year-Old Girl Kicked Off Cheerleading Team Because Of Parent Complaint - September 23rd 2010, 08:53 PM

Honestly, cheerleaders are nothing but sexual objects anyways. Guys don't watch women do cheers, they watch them do retarded yet seductive dances. Unfortunately, six years old is too young for those seductive dances. Kids are becoming exposed to sex at a younger age each generation, but I think kids should learn for themselves instead of being taught by grown adults for their own entertainment (whatever you want "entertainment" to mean). That cheer is obviously sexual, and I wouldn't allow the cheer even if it was questionable. Especially for a six year old. If it was the Dallas Cowboys cheer leading team saying that, I wouldn't mind . What the mother did was the right thing to do, and I also think what the cheer leading squad did was the right thing to do also. Yes, it is wrong for a six year old to be saying and doing anything like that. However, if you put a 6 year old boy in a football game with 12 year old boys and complain about them being too aggressive and asking for a change in defense, then you must be crazy.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
6yearold, cheerleading, complaint, girl, kicked, parent, team

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.