TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 04:36 AM

You know those frog biology project things that are popular in high schools these days? Well this one involved raising chickens only to then stuff, slaughter and package them, and supposedly no opt-out was offered. So one girl stole stole her chicken and ditched.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...school-project

Personally I have to side with the girl on this one, after all who would want to slaughter their pet which they raised from an egg and formed a strong emotional attachment with?
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 04:41 AM

Wow. That school really expects those kids to raise a chicken and then kill it?
I could never ever ever do that. Period.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
alixthetree Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: alix

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 05:22 AM

i think she did a really cool thing by refusing to kill it and taking it home. i mean yeah why would you want to eat something you've come to know as a friend.

and yup i added chicklette on facebook.

Accept and Never
Forget Only
Life Dies.

No matter the amount of negativity you're presented with...
5 minutes from now could be your best moment.
-Mod Sun

Send a message via AIM to alixthetree Send a message via MSN to alixthetree Send a message via Skype™ to alixthetree 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 05:31 AM

When I first saw the title of this thread I had a little giggle to myself, but my smile soon faded as I read the story...I am totally disgusted in that school. That is unbelievable. What also surprises me is that the school is ALLOWED to do that. We aren't allowed to kill any animals for projects at school, by law.
(I did smile again when I saw how lucky it was though, and its pic on facebook is just stunning :P )

(#5 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 05:33 AM

that's crazy. i can't believe the school had them do that. i think it would be really neat to have a project where you raised a chicken from egg, and then when it got to a certain point do something with them other than killing them. donate them to an organization like heifer that gives people the opportunity to buy farm animals for people in third world countries. don't know if you can actually donate chickens to heifer...but...you get what i mean.

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 06:20 AM

I don't see a problem with the class or the project. The teacher even said she could have opt out if she talked to him. We raised chickens, and although we didn't kill them, my parents were planning to sell them when they got to old to lay eggs. Sadly we sold them earlier, but my point is, chickens are great for teaching a number of things, including what that project was attempting to teach. He wanted to show kids how their food was really made, and he did. Nothing wrong with that.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 07:22 AM

Meh, in my school the Anatomy class dissects pig fetus with developed organs for a big project. Pretty sure my friends were playing with the entrails of it after they are done with the now gutted carcass. And we are also a Catholic school...I guess it is insensitive they don't have opted-out option for this, not everyone is comfortable is taking life away.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 05:49 PM

Glad to see the school has copied its biology lesson from the WAFFEN SS'S INDUCTION CEREMONY.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 09:24 PM

I don't see the big deal here. From what I gathered, she chose to enter the class called Livestock and Poultry Production. The name and the project seem appropriate for the class. She has a point that we don't need to dissect a chicken to know that it is what's on the plate at dinner but the class probably was to teach anatomy, physiology, raising, etc... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
Meh, in my school the Anatomy class dissects pig fetus with developed organs for a big project. Pretty sure my friends were playing with the entrails of it after they are done with the now gutted carcass. And we are also a Catholic school...I guess it is insensitive they don't have opted-out option for this, not everyone is comfortable is taking life away.
I remember doing pig fetus dissections and we played with it during dissecting and after.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 09:46 PM

I don't know, the project seems a little evil to me. I mean you want kids to understand the process, a simple video would do that.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 10:15 PM

I would hate that, I got to sit out of the frog class, and the pig class, thankfully. I love that she stole it

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#12 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 10:24 PM

i total side with the girl i dont believe in killing animals i hate the taste of meat and everytime my parents have me eat it i feel disgusted in eating it its just wrong to kill a chicken to disect it and i cant even disect a frog who died naturally

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 23rd 2010, 10:31 PM

Hey! That's what the special forces does, they raise chickens when they go to training and kill them at the end. Was it a military school?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 24th 2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
I remember doing pig fetus dissections and we played with it during dissecting and after.
Good times, huh? For my bio class, we were supposed to dissect many things because one part of the class was about anatomy and different systems of different animals genus, but we ran out of time because of the AP test...

Though we dissect a crayfish and some fish I don't remember it's name for my senior bio class...It has its fun times, and disgusting times...That thing smells SO bad toward to the end of the dissection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Hey! That's what the special forces does, they raise chickens when they go to training and kill them at the end. Was it a military school?
Nah, just a high school for a class about how livestock and poultry is raised and prepared. Honestly though, I think they could just have killed the livestock first and then let them dissect it. Who wants to be responsible for dealing the fatal strike?

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 25th 2010, 09:23 PM

I go to an agricultural school, and I'm really relieved we don't have a similar project in our animal science program. I love all the animals at my school, and if I had raised one of our beef cows from birth, then was told I had to slaughter it, I probably would have done something similar.

Luckily, I've never had to deal with a dissection either. And I'm not planning on taking anatomy, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 25th 2010, 09:52 PM

I'm an animal science major at the same school as Alice, and while I do see the point this girl was trying to make, I don't necessarily agree with her actions. My anatomy teacher actually told my class that many years ago, my school used to have a meat handling class -- they would learn how to handle and package the meat obtained from the school's animals. The class was expunged because the school board thought it was "immoral" or something similar.

The title of the class seems appropriate for its intentions. She signed up for Livestock and Poultry Production, and well, that's how the industry works. My understanding of this situation is that if she didn't like or agree with that, she didn't have to take the class. I know that slaughtering animals for food is a very controversial topic, but realistically, someone has to do it. Not everyone is willing to go vegan, and where humans are naturally omnivores, I think it would be silly to expect them to. As much as some people want this to change, I can't see it happening any time soon.

I don't eat meat, but that is because I do not care for the texture of it. I myself am not opposed to raising animals for food. Animals in the wild kill in order to eat as well. In my opinion, it is the way of the world. The circle of life.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: High School Student Saves Her Chicken From Death - October 28th 2010, 12:51 PM

My friend that lived in the philipines had a pet chicken for a long time

then one day he came home and was like "Mom whats for dinner" and she said chicken.

Only he didn't know it was his pet chicken until later that night...

Closed Thread