TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to remember - November 11th 2010, 07:30 PM

DAILY MAIL

- I have to say, I'm a very tolerant person. I am fine with homosexuals, transexuals, most christians, sikhs, jews, hindus and the rest. Unfortunately, I'm finding that I'm not quite the tolerant person I once was with Islam. I think it's becoming painfully obvious that Islam is not compatible with the western world.

I'd like to know what you think about that first article, but also linked in with this: link

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 518381 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 07:52 PM

If that happened here all those people would be thrown in jail until they decided to show some respect for the fallen soldiers here it is actually a crime to go against your patriotism and worse the same day that we are remembering them, zero tolerance for that.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 07:56 PM

I find it ironic that Muslims are protesting violence when the middle east is one of the most violent places ever. They act like it's such a huge sin to hurt any Muslims, as if their lives are the only ones that matter. You show respect for all races that have died, not just Muslims. If there's any religion that I have the least respect for it is Islam.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 07:56 PM

That honestly disgusts me. If they have such firm beliefs and intend to turn against our culture and our past, they should get out of our country and go back where they came from. I have no respect from them at all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 08:12 PM

Disrespectful, and disgusting.

But they don't represent all Islamic people...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 08:32 PM

Why can't they bugger off home before doing things like that x.x

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 08:44 PM

This is the sort of thing that makes me hate Islam even more than I already do. if the Government doesn't do something, the people sure as hell will.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
That honestly disgusts me. If they have such firm beliefs and intend to turn against our culture and our past, they should get out of our country and go back where they came from. I have no respect from them at all.
I agree with this completely.

It's a shame too because it's acts like these that make a lot of people intolerant to Muslims even though it's only a minority that do them.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseThisLight View Post

But they don't represent all Islamic people...
I'm getting kind of tired of hearing people say that, because what will it take for Islamic people to be seen as what a good majority of them are? Another 9/11? I know a lot of Muslim people at my school, and I'm not saying they're all evil. But I do think it's one of the most evil religions out there.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

I'm getting kind of tired of hearing people say that, because what will it take for Islamic people to be seen as what a good majority of them are? Another 9/11? I know a lot of Muslim people at my school, and I'm not saying they're all evil. But I do think it's one of the most evil religions out there.
That... is my opinion.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 08:58 PM

Honestly, what do you expect? You go into their country and kill their people and then expect them to honor those that did the killing?

I find it disturbing that they used the poppy in their protests as that relates to other wars and soldiers than just the ones in Afghanistan, but I do understand where they are coming from.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:03 PM

Okay, firstly, how incredibly rude to say they should go back to where they came from. How do you know that they weren't born in the UK? And also, what do you say about people born in the UK who do terrible, nasty things? Saying they should go back where they came from is a horrible thing to say, as well as ironic considering the countries that Europeans have "settled".

Secondly, yes, this day should be about respecting all races who have died. Which is exactly why these people were protesting. Where are all the people who are acknowledging and mourning the lives of the people who've died in Afghanistan and Iraq and other middle-eastern countries? Perhaps a few thousand soldiers (from US, UK, Australia etc.) combined have died. But tens of thousands of civilians in their countries have been killed. So where are the memorial days and events for those people?

I don't agree with the way in which they protested. The things they were chanting were horrible. But I understand why they were protesting. And I'm not going to judge an entire religion based on the actions of a few. I'm sure that everyone who has posted here would be incredibly upset if anyone disliked them just because of their nationality, race, religion. So why is it okay to judge other people for those reasons?

And I fail to see how baby names has anything to do with this.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post

Secondly, yes, this day should be about respecting all races who have died. Which is exactly why these people were protesting. Where are all the people who are acknowledging and mourning the lives of the people who've died in Afghanistan and Iraq and other middle-eastern countries? Perhaps a few thousand soldiers (from US, UK, Australia etc.) combined have died. But tens of thousands of civilians in their countries have been killed. So where are the memorial days and events for those people?
Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying we should have memorials for the same race that killed millions of Americans on 9/11, and has terrorized us for ages? We're supposed to feel sorry for them when it's their religion that's responsible for killing so many people? That's ludicrous. If they want memorials for their race, they can go back to the middle east.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Okay, firstly, how incredibly rude to say they should go back to where they came from. How do you know that they weren't born in the UK? And also, what do you say about people born in the UK who do terrible, nasty things? Saying they should go back where they came from is a horrible thing to say, as well as ironic considering the countries that Europeans have "settled".

I don't agree with the way in which they protested. The things they were chanting were horrible. But I understand why they were protesting. And I'm not going to judge an entire religion based on the actions of a few. I'm sure that everyone who has posted here would be incredibly upset if anyone disliked them just because of their nationality, race, religion. So why is it okay to judge other people for those reasons?

And I fail to see how baby names has anything to do with this.
If I was muslim, I'd understand why people hated me. If they want memorial days in their countries, maybe they should shut up and actually have one? Rather than complaining that WE DO? I will judge a religion based on a few, because it's the minority that do things. The majority of Muslims will not have the courage to stand up and say "No, this is not what we believe in." and so I have no respect for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
Honestly, what do you expect? You go into their country and kill their people and then expect them to honor those that did the killing?

I find it disturbing that they used the poppy in their protests as that relates to other wars and soldiers than just the ones in Afghanistan, but I do understand where they are coming from.
I expect them to shut up and not interrupt out traditions, asI don't think it's their right to say anything about it. They do not have the right to soil those soldiers names, and they do not have the right to tell people that the soldiers will burn in hell and that Islam will dominate.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Wait, let me get this straight. You're saying we should have memorials for the same race that killed millions of Americans on 9/11, and has terrorized us for ages? We're supposed to feel sorry for them when it's their religion that's responsible for killing so many people? That's ludicrous. If they want memorials for their race, they can go back to the middle east.
Islam is a religion. Not a race. Not all Muslims were born in the middle east. They ARE at home in the UK and the US.

It is only a minority that do the killing. They use Islam as an excuse for what they do.

So, no. We should not respect terrorists, but we SHOULD respect other people that just happen to belong to the same religion, because they have done nothing wrong. They are good, honest, hard-working people and are just as appalled at the actions of extremists as you are.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I expect them to shut up and not interrupt out traditions, asI don't think it's their right to say anything about it. They do not have the right to soil those soldiers names, and they do not have the right to tell people that the soldiers will burn in hell and that Islam will dominate.
They are citizens of your country and have just as much of a right to have an opinion as you do. Perhaps they took their protest too far, but anyone with a heart can understand where they are coming from. These people have family members being killed in Afghanistan, so it must be pretty hard for them to just sit back and respect a day to honor the soldiers doing the killing.

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Eh? Either we have the right to tell them to go home and they have the right to be arseholes, or if we don't have the right to tell them to go home then they don't have the right to be arseholes. Double standards are crap.

Quote:
Eh? Is it wrong to show respect for people whom died fighting to protect their country?

(#18 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:

I just wanted to emphasise the words I put in bold from your post, because that has to rank as one of the most incredulous statements on Islam I've seen in some time. Islam is not a "race" and it is intellectual dishonesty to blame an entire religion of some 1 billion people worldwide for the actions of one terrorist organisation which killed 3,000 people in New York (not millions as you claim; please leave out the hyperbole in future). Groups such as Al-Qaeda and the Taliban would still exist were Islam not available as an excuse - just as groups such as the LTTE and ETA exist without calling upon religion - and they rely upon an incredibly twisted and downright inaccurate interpretation of the Qu'ran to justify their actions. And this is coming from a Catholic for pity's sake. Thousands of Muslims lost their lives fighting for the Allies in both the First and Second World Wars, and it would do a lot of people some good to remember that. I am by no means condoning their actions - in truth I find them disgusting for reasons I will state below - and I have not forgotten the events of the last decade and before that, but get some perspective people.

Anyway, to get this back on topic, this group of protesters are both completely ignorant of their own history and of their religion and so I have no time for them on either ground. They cast grave disrespect on both their fallen predecessors and those from the Commonwealth and other nations who sacrificed their lives to provide the freedoms they call upon today, and were I present I would have pulled a fire extinguisher on that charade. I am deeply angered by their actions, particularly given the efforts the British Army went to in liberating North Africa and the Middle East from the Nazis, and hope they are condemned for their actions as strongly as possible by their communities. At the same time, however, I do not see this as a legitimate excuse for engaging in what comes across as Muslim-bashing.

Quote:
The Armistice Day commemorations, while predominantly to commemorate fallen servicemen and women, are also intended as a time to remember all those who have been killed in conflicts both past and present - civilians included. War does not discriminate in who it kills, and in my experience of more Remembrance services than I can recall at this time neither has the act of remembrance. I have certainly always viewed it as an opportunity to remember all who have fallen in war and encourage others to do likewise. Setting aside specific days for specific groups of persons would somewhat diminish the strength of the act of remembrance, and I would instead propose making it as inclusive as possible to make it harder for people to forget the true cost of war.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Last edited by dr2005; November 11th 2010 at 09:44 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
They are citizens of your country and have just as much of a right to have an opinion as you do. Perhaps they took their protest too far, but anyone with a heart can understand where they are coming from. These people have family members being killed in Afghanistan, so it must be pretty hard for them to just sit back and respect a day to honor the soldiers doing the killing.
Remembrance day respects the dead of the first world war. It has nothing to do with Afghanistan.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Remembrance day respects the dead of the first world war. It has nothing to do with Afghanistan.
Actually it's the first world war and every war since...

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:40 PM

I heard about this and couldn't believe it.
I find it disgusting even at my age.
I'm not a racist person whatsoever... But this is just vile. It makes me want to spit on the people who did it. They have no respect to speak of.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Actually, Remembrance day respects ALL soldiers from ALL wars. Yes, the day we have it on each year is from the end of WW1, but we honor all soldiers on this day now.

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 09:48 PM

Well now it is, but the roots of it are set in the first world war, and that's what I was under the impression you were talking about, sorry :S

But to be honest, I don't care if their families were killed in Afghanistan. That's not true, it's not a nice thing to happen, but this is not Afghanistan, and if they want to live like they're in Afghanistan, I suggest they move there. It's like that case where a muslim person complained about celebrating christmas in nursery because as muslims they do not celebrate it.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Actually, what's ludicrous is claiming that millions of Americans died in 9/11. A little over three thousand people were killed in the 9/11 attacks. Which is far less than the number of Iraqi civilians killed in the Iraq war. And far less than the number of Afghani civilians have been killed in the war in Afghanistan. And far less than the number of people killed when the USA dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Why is it that you are only upset when it is American people who are dying? Why is it that you believe only the lives of American people matter?

Quote:
Eh? Is it wrong to show respect for people whom died fighting to protect their country?
Of course not. What did I say that made you think I don't have respect for people who've died fighting to protect their country?

Quote:
The Armistice Day commemorations, while predominantly to commemorate fallen servicemen and women, are also intended as a time to remember all those who have been killed in conflicts both past and present - civilians included. War does not discriminate in who it kills, and in my experience of more Remembrance services than I can recall at this time neither has the act of remembrance. I have certainly always viewed it as an opportunity to remember all who have fallen in war and encourage others to do likewise. Setting aside specific days for specific groups of persons would somewhat diminish the strength of the act of remembrance, and I would instead propose making it as inclusive as possible to make it harder for people to forget the true cost of war.
I certainly like the idea of ensuring that it is more inclusive. It's one thing to say that the day remembers all people who've lost their lives, but I think that most people probably don't see it that way. If the government, schools etc. were making more of an effort to specify that it is about all people, then this protest might not have happened.

Quote:
But to be honest, I don't care if their families were killed in Afghanistan. That's not true, it's not a nice thing to happen, but this is not Afghanistan, and if they want to live like they're in Afghanistan, I suggest they move there. It's like that case where a muslim person complained about celebrating christmas in nursery because as muslims they do not celebrate it.
You don't care that their families have been killed? That's entirely your choice, of course, but if you care about the UK soldiers who have died, why don't you care about the others who have? Do you care about the US, Australian etc. soldiers who have been killed? Or is it just the fact that they're from the middle-east that makes you so insensitive to their suffering?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

(#25 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:

You don't care that their families have been killed? That's entirely your choice, of course, but if you care about the UK soldiers who have died, why don't you care about the others who have? Do you care about the US, Australian etc. soldiers who have been killed? Or is it just the fact that they're from the middle-east that makes you so insensitive to their suffering?
I just said that I did. I think it's terrible that they died, but at the same time, I have very little empathy for them. I can't have, I don't know them, I don't know anyone who does know them, none of their culture exists where I live (I live in a British part of Britain), I know very little about them as people and I can't relate to their situation. I have empathy to British, American and Australian troops as I know their achievements, I know relatives who fought or know those who fought for their countries. To a degree, I can relate to them. I think anyone claims they have just as much empathy towards the people in Afghanistan as they do towards a hypothetical family member fighting in the British/US/Australian army there is a liar.

Last edited by forfrosne; November 11th 2010 at 11:30 PM.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 11:23 PM

Yay, another lets-slam-Islam-into-the-ground thread. I'm so glad to be part of such a tolerant and open-minded generation.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Yay, another lets-slam-Islam-into-the-ground thread. I'm so glad to be part of such a tolerant and open-minded generation.
Please, at least contribute to the discussion.Rather than trying to take the moral high ground, why don't you actively join in the discussion and say what you actually think about the news article, and actually debate? Seems to be that that might be the more constructive post.

The thread is aimed at discussing the Islamic extremists burning the poppies on Remembrance Day. If you disagree with someone's opinions, fine, but please don't try and take the moral high ground on an issue like this.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 11th 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:

I just said that I did. I think it's terrible that they died, but at the same time, I have very little empathy for them. I have empathy to British, American and Australian troops as I know their achievements, I know relatives who fought or know those who fought for their countries. To a degree, I can relate to them. I think anyone claims they have just as much empathy towards the people in Afghanistan as they do towards a hypothetical family member fighting in the British/US/Australian army there is a liar.
Well, I guess I'm a liar then =P. Our troops joined the army knowing what they might have to do. They joined the army knowing that they might have to risk their lives in wars. The innocent civilians in Afghanistan and other middle-eastern countries did not get that kind of choice. They didn't choose to be born there and most of them don't have the option of leaving. I can hardly imagine the sorts of terrible things that they have to deal with every day.

Of course, I believe most of us have never lived in a war zone or fought in the army, so in that way, none of us can be particularly empathetic to either side. But I definitely care about the innocent people who have died equally, regardless of their nationality.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Because other religions are also clean of their dirty deeds?

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Please, at least contribute to the discussion.Rather than trying to take the moral high ground, why don't you actively join in the discussion and say what you actually think about the news article, and actually debate? Seems to be that that might be the more constructive post.

The thread is aimed at discussing the Islamic extremists burning the poppies on Remembrance Day. If you disagree with someone's opinions, fine, but please don't try and take the moral high ground on an issue like this.
You seem to condemn Islam as a whole, looking at your posts and couple other people's post. That, I have a problem with. Let's take a look of what you posted.

This is the sort of thing that makes me hate Islam even more than I already do. if the Government doesn't do something, the people sure as hell will.

I will judge a religion based on a few, because it's the minority that do things. The majority of Muslims will not have the courage to stand up and say "No, this is not what we believe in." and so I have no respect for them.

A constructive post will be about dismantling and condemning the hatred spilled by the Muslims EXTREMISTS during this honorable day. Not condemning the entire body of its member. Not spilling anymore hatred toward Islam as a religion. You are only adding more hatred to this already hate-contaminated world. If we have Muslim members reading this, I am sure they would be offended by how you word your disgust toward to this hideous action, because they are innocent and you are seem to blaming them as well.

And what you wrote here:

I don't know them, I don't know anyone who does know them, none of their culture exists where I live (I live in a British part of Britain), I know very little about them as people and I can't relate to their situation.

Then go learn about it. Read books about their culture. I am sure many history books document their culture, and their past. Don't presume you know it all and you have the right to judge without completely understanding them. You are only offending people with your, for a lack of better word, ignorance. I am glad you acknowledge you don't know their culture and their past, and you can't relate, however. That's infinitely better than the people protesting with the poster that says "I learn everything I need to know about Islam from 9/11"

P.S. They have stood up many times and they are kept putting down. I have read about their struggles many times in many sources like TIMES. Amass your knowledge about their struggles by tapping at diverse sources, other than, for example, FOX news.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Chaos Theory; November 12th 2010 at 12:45 AM.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 12:36 AM

Now I know a lot of you know me and my views pretty well, and I know you're expecting a post like "darn these Muslims!" But would you be surprised to hear that I have no problems with Islam and Arabs, now I mean take off the silly hat towel things in airports please, but out of all the groups, I have no issues with them really. But isn't it funny that the more good we do for people, the more they hate us?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
But isn't it funny that the more good we do for people, the more they hate us?
For people I think you mean the people over at the Middle East where U.S. and her allies stationed?

(#33 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 01:00 AM

ill just simply say if something like that happend in my hometown .....there heads would have been on pikes.... there no better then that god dam westboro church group. they had no right protesting that if they dont like the day well then in my eyes they can get of there asses and go to there own country..

(#34 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
ill just simply say if something like that happend in my hometown .....there heads would have been on pikes.... there no better then that god dam westboro church group. they had no right protesting that if they dont like the day well then in my eyes they can get of there asses and go to there own country..
The difference is that the Westboro Baptist Church protests against homosexuality, which is not hurting anybody, while the Muslims today were protesting death and suffering of their family and friends (which even many caucasian people agree is unwarranted). That's a pretty significant difference.

And actually, they are also citizens of your country and completely have the right to protest anything they disagree with.

I agree that the use of the poppy in their protests was disrespectful and disturbing and that some of their comments went overboard, but surely you can understand their point of view as well. If there was a day that honored people who were killing your loved ones wouldn't you be upset too?

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
The difference is that the Westboro Baptist Church protests against homosexuality, which is not hurting anybody, while the Muslims today were protesting death and suffering of their family and friends (which even many caucasian people agree is unwarranted). That's a pretty significant difference.

And actually, they are also citizens of your country and completely have the right to protest anything they disagree with.

I agree that the use of the poppy in their protests was disrespectful and disturbing and that some of their comments went overboard, but surely you can understand their point of view as well. If there was a day that honored people who were killing your loved ones wouldn't you be upset too?
na i dont consider them a citizen of my country if they protest it... thats treason and should be punishable by death or atleast severe torture...

as for that last bit.... its quite different since i wouldnt go to THERE country and protest THERE day which i have NO bussiness doing

(#36 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
na i dont consider them a citizen of my country if they protest it... thats treason and should be punishable by death or atleast severe torture...

as for that last bit.... its quite different since i wouldnt go to THERE country and protest THERE day which i have NO bussiness doing
They aren't protesting your country. They are protesting the war in Afghanistan, which is something many caucasian people have already done!

And they aren't in someone else's country. They are in their own country. They are CITIZENS of your country just like you. When your country accepts people from other countries you have to learn to have some compassion for what they are going through. Even the most patriotic british citizen is bound to feel upset if they have family being killed in another country.

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
They aren't protesting your country. They are protesting the war in Afghanistan, which is something many caucasian people have already done!

And they aren't in someone else's country. They are in their own country. They are CITIZENS of your country just like you. When your country accepts people from other countries you have to learn to have some compassion for what they are going through. Even the most patriotic british citizen is bound to feel upset if they have family being killed in another country.
i said protesting a DAY not the country first line i meant protesting a countrys day for there fallen soldiers..... and NOT in my eyes they are .being born here wearing jeans t shirts makes you a citizen wearing a smelly stinky rag that has been dragged through all kinds of crap and hiding your face make you a foreigner and no piece of paper will make me think otherwise...

(#38 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
i said protesting a DAY not the country first line i meant protesting a countrys day for there fallen soldiers..... and NOT in my eyes they are .being born here wearing jeans t shirts makes you a citizen wearing a smelly stinky rag that has been dragged through all kinds of crap and hiding your face make you a foreigner and no piece of paper will make me think otherwise...
Wow! Well I had hoped I could show you that a little compassion was deserved here, but I think you're further gone than I realized. These people were invited into your country, many of them were actually born there, and whether or you like it or not they have just as much of a right to be there as you do. You can't invite someone over, make them a citizen, and then say they have no right to be different.

On any note, being closed-minded and intolerant certainly won't solve anything. When you have compassion and an open-mind you can open the lines of communication and come to some sort of peace, but until then everyone on both sides is just going to be miserable. So, good luck with that!

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 04:58 AM

What an excellent protest... they acted extremely rude and pissed all over the history of the British, other countries and their own country. I'm not very well-versed in world history but I'm fairly sure that the British did help Middle Eastern countries during World War II. So on Armistice Day, a day that's meant to remember, respect and thank all those who died in any and all wars, some people decide to piss all over it while protesting about their fallen people. It's rude and it shows a lack of respect for other countries and their own history. When it comes to situations like this, I don't particularly care if they're Islamic, Christian, Setians or whatever other belief system, it's horrible either way.

Protesting the war is understandable, many groups have done it but I'm thinking none of them did it in this manner on such a day. Protesting against the war I'm fine with but holding signs up involving Islam being the superior religion, condemning soldiers that actually helped the Middle East get out of a big hassle or two, and then burning stuff, is it not possible to have a slightly less uncivilized way of protest?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations as millions fall silent to reme - November 12th 2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Wow! Well I had hoped I could show you that a little compassion was deserved here, but I think you're further gone than I realized. These people were invited into your country, many of them were actually born there, and whether or you like it or not they have just as much of a right to be there as you do. You can't invite someone over, make them a citizen, and then say they have no right to be different.

On any note, being closed-minded and intolerant certainly won't solve anything. When you have compassion and an open-mind you can open the lines of communication and come to some sort of peace, but until then everyone on both sides is just going to be miserable. So, good luck with that!
Actually if we make them citizens they sure as heck better start actine like it, instead of a group of bloody traitors. Stand by our soldiers or stand in front of them!

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Closed Thread