TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 24th 2010, 09:46 PM

The San Francisco, California, Board of Supervisors on Tuesday banned most McDonald's Happy Meals with toys, as they're now served.

The ordinance, which requires McDonald's and other fast-food servings with toys to meet new nutritional standards, now goes to Mayor Gavin Newsom, who indicated before his election last week to California lieutenant governor that he would veto the law.

That veto would be meaningless because the board approved the ordinance 8-3, a veto-proof margin. With eight votes, the board could override the veto.

The new law, which San Francisco officials hope other cities will adopt in battling a child obesity epidemic, was a defeat for McDonald's, which led the fight against the measure.

"As previously stated, we are extremely disappointed with this decision. It's not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for," said McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-09/u...enter?_s=PM:US

What are your thoughts on this?

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 24th 2010, 09:53 PM

I don't agree with getting rid of the toys. But, in order to keep the toys and the 'fun-factor' for the children, their foods need to actually have something healthy in them.

I think it's horrendous that childrens' meals are so unhealthy. And due to the fact that children these days are obese, fast food chains should stop glorifying junk food with toys and kids film-related games.

I could go on, but I think I've summarised my opinion.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 24th 2010, 10:08 PM

What does banning the toys do for the fight against obesity is what I want to know.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 24th 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
What does banning the toys do for the fight against obesity is what I want to know.
It stops children being so attracted to getting a happy meal, and eating loads of junk food.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 24th 2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post

It stops children being so attracted to getting a happy meal, and eating loads of junk food.
Right, so because they aren't getting a toy in their happymeal, they are going to start eating healthy, exercising...all the obese kids will lose weight...LOL thats a joke! Are you serious! Do you really think that because they are missing out a small plastic rubbish toy they will stop eating junk food! HIGHLY unlikely!

There are still lolly stores, supermarkets will always sell chips, chocolate and lollies. Burger King, KFC, Pizza outlets etc will all still be around. McDs will still taste the same, but without the toy! Kids won't really care!
Also, when children get to about 10 or over, they don't even get the happy meals anymore, they get larger meals! Even if they start offering toys in McDs with a healthy option, so maybe a salad and apple slices, kids aren't going to go to McDs for that! If they did order the healthy option...well done, they have had one healthy meal, right mum its back home for ice cream!
The thing is, one or two McDs meals aren't making our kids fat! Kids have so much energy they have no problem burning the calories off one or two meals. Its the lifestyle at home that contributes to obesity! Its constant eating of rubbish, sitting around playing video games and massively fattening food that the whole family eats. For obesity to stop, their lifestyles need to change, not one meal at ONE fast food outlet...sorry but it won't work!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 25th 2010, 01:34 AM

Kids don't order Happy Meals anymore they go for the Big Mac.
I'm sure McDonalds will fight this one.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 25th 2010, 01:39 AM

When I was little I never really cared about the toys as they were all pretty cheap and no fun. I actually went for the food. I really doubt that getting rid of the toys will help in any way. Fast food chains just really need to work on making healthier meals.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 25th 2010, 03:44 AM

This is crazy!

How will this battle childhood obesity? I know so many little kids who want Big Macs instead of Happy Meals.

Stores sell unhealthy food, parents buy unhealthy food, school give out unhealthy food, etc., not to mention the environment they grow up in.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 25th 2010, 08:40 PM

Getting rid of a cheap toy won't do much. I still eat happy meals sometimes (meatless though, so healthier xD) and I don't do it for the toys, mostly. But because that's about as much food as I can handle. Children will still eat happy meals, and other such bad things, because their parents let them. It's not just Mcdonalds fault that children are getting to be unhealthy. It is also parents fault.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 25th 2010, 10:35 PM

I say scrap McDonald's altogether... :/

(#11 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgrenadeheart View Post
I say scrap McDonald's altogether... :/
Well if they are looking to stop obesity then its probably the only option, and burger king, KFC, Pizza Hut, Donut shops, etc...god, getting rid of a toy won't do anything!!!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Need help? I'll be there! <3
Average Joe

Name: Jennifer

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 06:28 AM

I currently work at McDonalds and heard from other people that it is because the toy represents the fatty food, and they want children to be able to look at healthy food instead. Looking at the toy will only want them to get the burger, fries, and pop, which has way too many calories of fat in them. It's because the United States is slowly becoming and overweight country, or so studies show. I don't have any proof, I am just going off of what I heard from other people.

My opinion though, is that as long as kids eat healthy, they should get the toy regardless. It's been a tradition for YEARS>

I'm here to help, and more.
If you need a hug, I got one.
If you need to rant, I listen.
If you need to cry, my shoulder is open.
If you just need a friend, I am there.
<3

If you can't reach me here, feel free to e-mail me or message me on yahoo. ^_^
  Send a message via AIM to CrimsonTippedPetals Send a message via Yahoo to CrimsonTippedPetals Send a message via Skype™ to CrimsonTippedPetals 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 06:32 AM

I used to collect the toys when I was little so this probably would have put me off getting happy meals as much but it wouldn't have stopped me altogether because I still liked the food.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 04:54 PM

When I was little there were two reasons to go to McDonalds: the play area and the easiness. I had dance class every afternoon it was just easy to drive through McDonalds and pick up a happy meal. And do you know why I went to McDonalds, and why I still go to McDonalds, and why many people go to McDonalds, FOR THE FRIES!!!! I mean they have carts at Dinsey that just sell McDonalds french fries. Fries!!!!

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 04:56 PM

What we really need is not to get rid of the toys but a lifestyle change and to actually offer healthier choices.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 05:45 PM

Learn to tell your kid "no." Stop taking him to McDonald's on a regular basis and letting him drink 8 cans a Mountain Dew a day. Tell him to get off his butt, stop playing video games and go out and enjoy the fresh air.

Quit playing your problems on fast food and be a responsible parent.

Yeah it bad for you but its meant to be tasty, meant to be a treat, not meant to be your main source of nourishment.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHis View Post
Learn to tell your kid "no." Stop taking him to McDonald's on a regular basis and letting him drink 8 cans a Mountain Dew a day. Tell him to get off his butt, stop playing video games and go out and enjoy the fresh air.

Quit playing your problems on fast food and be a responsible parent.

Yeah it bad for you but its meant to be tasty, meant to be a treat, not meant to be your main source of nourishment.
amen; although you must admit that particuarly in this economy it is one of the most affordable things.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 06:18 PM

First, this sounds like it's all because some politicians daughter is obese because he can't say no. Second, stop having electronics babysit your kid. Buy some outside toys. And learn to say no. Third, they already have healthy options for happy meals...

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#19 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 26th 2010, 06:26 PM

Seriously? It's fast food. It's not supposed to be healthy. If you don't want your kid eating unhealthily, don't take them to McDonalds. It's not like the kids drive up to McDonalds themselves and buy the happy meals. It's not McDonalds's problem, it's the parents. If they have such a problem with the food there, they shouldn't take their kids there. That solves the whole thing entirely.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 27th 2010, 09:19 PM

I think parents should stop relying on the government to raise their child. Or make choices for them. I remember when KFC released the double down there was a huge stink about it and people were pushing to ban them from being released because they're so unhealthy - so what? Too much of anything is unhealthy - - even water, the key is moderation and individual responsibility.

People need to be educated, children and parents alike. There's a stigma attached to healthy food where people think that it's more expensive than the junkfood alternatives. And to some degree, buying all-organic food can be - but a loaf of wheat bread, lunchmeat, and some apples are going to feed you a lot longer and be more cost-effective than fastfood for dinner every night.

Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions

(#21 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 27th 2010, 09:28 PM

It is the parents fault that their children are obese, though. Let's be honest.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 27th 2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivers-in-reverse View Post
I think parents should stop relying on the government to raise their child. Or make choices for them. I remember when KFC released the double down there was a huge stink about it and people were pushing to ban them from being released because they're so unhealthy - so what? Too much of anything is unhealthy - - even water, the key is moderation and individual responsibility.

People need to be educated, children and parents alike. There's a stigma attached to healthy food where people think that it's more expensive than the junkfood alternatives. And to some degree, buying all-organic food can be - but a loaf of wheat bread, lunchmeat, and some apples are going to feed you a lot longer and be more cost-effective than fastfood for dinner every night.
it does not have to be all organic fresh produce costs more parciutarly out of season.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 28th 2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHis View Post
This. Yes, McDonald's is bad for you, but let's face it, it's the parents' responsibility to watch what their children are eating. If you're taking your kid to McDonald's daily, weekly, then there is an issue. It's meant to be an occasional treat; you aren't supposed to live off of it. I wish people would stop blaming fast food joints for childhood obesity. If parents regulated their children's diets better, they wouldn't be an issue. Fast food is like cookies and cake -- bad for you, but you can have them occasionally without causing harm to yourself. Moderation is the key here.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 28th 2010, 10:36 PM

Banning the toys is a nice idea, but in reality I think it will have little effect. Children want to get happy meals because they taste good, it's usually got little to do with getting a toy. Children will still ask for McDonalds, they will still have tantrums when if they don't get it, and parents still need to have the balls to say 'no' to their darling obese child, toy or not.

And if it was the toys that was attracting so many kids to Mcdonalds, then I guess the toy shops in SF will start getting some good business.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 28th 2010, 10:36 PM

Banning the toys is a nice idea, but in reality I think it will have little effect. Children want to get happy meals because they taste good, it's usually got little to do with getting a toy. Children will still ask for McDonalds, they will still have tantrums when if they don't get it, and parents still need to have the balls to say 'no' to their darling obese child, toy or not.

And if it was the toys that was attracting so many kids to Mcdonalds, then I guess the toy shops in SF will start getting some good business.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#26 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 28th 2010, 11:07 PM

Banning the toys may have some effect, anough to try it i think.
As a little kid i bearly ever had mac D's but that was cos i lived in a town which didnt have mac D's, but i loved the toys!
I think that if they had toys in the healthier options of macdonalds it could be better. (aka the wraps salads, ectect) encrouging the kids to eat healthy.

Or maybe make Mac donalds reduse the amount of fat/ oil that put into their foods..
aka cheesebugers had really oily buns and like a oil fatty fulled thing.

Also people saying That it is parents fault, this for the most part is true, but there is also societal influences, personal (the kid wanting it, (throwing a tantrum)) Interpersonal influences (family, friends) factors in the obesity issue..

I think anything to help fight this is good, as i know what its like to be the "fat girl" at school, and it is hard on a kids emotional wellbeing, so im think we should be trying everything to stop this huge issue

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3

Last edited by KiwiGal; November 28th 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: adding

(#27 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 29th 2010, 05:53 AM

I think that up until children are about 8-10 ish.., the parents are TOTALLY responsible for what their children eat. LOL Do you guys watch supernanny? When kids throw tantrums, you dont let them win, otherwise they would always get what they wanted.
Anyway, until kids are about 8-10, they are pretty much completely dependent on their parents. They don't really know (well I didnt) about calories and fat content, and even though their parents may say "that is a treat food only" or "too much of that will make you fat" not many children actually pay that much attention. Parents provide all the food for that child, and a trip to McDs is AWESOME!!! If they are offered McDs, they will eat it, if they are offered yoghurt, they will eat that too. They will have what is given to them really, provided they aren't fussy eaters.
What I am trying to say, is that the ages of kids who actually go for the toys is relevant to this debate, as sure children may have some idea about how fruit and vegies are good, many would much rather go for McDs, and it is up to the parents to just not let them. They need to grow up in a healthy lifestyle, with good foods in their homes and McDs for birthdays, treats etc. They can't really make healthy decisions themselves, so need to be lead to healthy food choices.
When people get to about 12 and over, they aren't so dependent on parents, and should know clearly whats good and whats not, they should be able to make the decisions themselves. And at this age, they don't get happy meals at McDs...so the loss of toys won't affect teens at all.

I certainly agree that obesity should be fought against, but not by removing a rubbish plastic toy from one fast food outlet. Parents of young children need to be educated on how to develop their children into healthy exercises, and teens need to be educated about how to control themselves when it comes to good food!

Also, there is actually nothing wrong with McDs in itself, its just food...but its the quantity being consumed that is the problem!
3. McDonald's feeds more than 46 million people a day - more than the entire population of Spain
14. McDonald's distributes more toys per year than Toys-R-Us
http://ronaldmcdonaldusa.blogspot.co...tatistics.html

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 29th 2010, 08:13 AM

I blame the parents, it's their fault their children are obese, not McDonalds.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 30th 2010, 07:45 PM

I just say parents should just stop taking kids there You don't NEED to give your children unhealthy food. My friend has made her son eat healthy since he was born. He's now three and he tried a tiny bit of a a burger from Mcdonald's a few days ago for the first time, he spat it out. He's not used to that kind of food :| he'll only eat organic crisps. He'll be a whole lot healthier when he'd older thn children who do eat fast food.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - November 30th 2010, 08:19 PM

I agree with above posts, food may be a need, but McDonald's is not.

My half brother is 8, and he goes to burger king at least once a week with my dad and I (uhh yuck i go to subway instead :P ) But Dad lets him upsize his meal to a large. That is why children get obese, parents often think that their children need as much as them, and sure, put a huge plate in front of them and they will eat it.

There was a supernanny programme on, and it was about how much food our children actually need. One table was given the correct amount of food, and the other table was given double the amount of calories that they should be eating. The children who were given less were satisfied with what they were given, and were full afterwards, but the other table kept going, most finished their whole meal and some said that they could eat more (no they weren't given more for obvious reasons)

Even I remember going to McDs, i would sometimes get 3 chicken nuggets, and that was fine, but often when I thought I was hungry I would get 6..and I may have been full after 4, but I just ate the other two because I had them in front of me. Kids don't need that much food, and often they won't ask for it as they are pre-occupied with playing, it does not have to be offered to them 24/7.
But something does have to be done about childhood obesity...when I was 11, I had an 8 year old friend. She weighed more that me, and when I went round there for tea, they were having chicken. She was told not to eat the skin and because I loved the skin I asked what is wrong with it. Her mother said bluntly right in front of both of us "Oh Emma its fine for you, you are skinny and dont need to worry about losing weight, but Sarah* can't have any"
That just made it incredibly awkward for us and made the girl upset. Now I look back, I should have said "Yea well who's fault is that!"

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - December 1st 2010, 03:06 PM

Wraps? There are no healthy choices at McDonald's. They have the apples and milk. At one point (not sure anymore) the healthiest option was an ice cream cone. The salads aren't much better for you.

McDonald's is better than Burger King and Wendy's though. Their "mediums" and "large" are way more soda/fries than any one person needs to eat.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - December 1st 2010, 03:23 PM

If you have a salad without dressing, apple slices and grapes and water then that would be healthy.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: San Francisco bans Happy Meal toys - December 1st 2010, 04:37 PM

If you also get rid of the meat in the salad, then it might be healthy

Closed Thread