TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
The Salvation Army is causing a stir over refusing to take donations of toys that it believes promote black magic.
The Christian aid agency collects thousands of toys every Christmas through its Toy Mountain campaign.
But a Salvation Army volunteer who was helping put together toy hampers for less fortunate children says he was given strict orders not to put certain toys in those hampers.
Among the toys deemed unacceptable were Harry Potter items, including books, action figures and DVDs.
"Some of these toys that we were seeing, I mean these are $50, $75, $100-toys. And just because of the nature of the toy, they are not being utilized," said the volunteer, who doesn't want to be identified.
A spokesman for the agency says it isn't appropriate for them to distribute toys they think promote things like the occult, vampires or black magic.
But the toys they are restricting are among the most popular items for teens right now.
In addition to Harry Potter-related products, other rejected toys include anything related to vampires and witchcraft, including merchandise from the popular Twilight series.
However, toy guns appear to be acceptable.
The volunteer says that means donation bins for older kids are nearly empty.
"Their greatest need right now is toys for older kids, that being 12 to 17 years old. I mean Twilight, Harry Potter. What kids wouldn't want to receive something like that?"
The volunteer suggests that the Salvation Army publish a list of toys deemed unacceptable before the annual Toy Mountain campaign.
The Salvation Army says those toys are placed aside and distributed to an unidentified third party, who in turn may distribute them to children if the parents approve of the toys.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome
Your thoughts?

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 04:47 AM

Well that's a bunch of bullshit. And now that this is out I think it's really going to hurt them. I mean honestly why spend my money buying toys to give to Salvation Army when I can give it to a different organization that will appreciate anything given. They obviously aren't thinking about the children at all. And question does the Salvation Army only donate to Christian families? Either way I've lost pretty much all respect for them after this.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 06:08 AM

No, they don't only donate to Christian families. They donate to anyone. They just don't want to donate things that go against their beliefs. I think it's a good idea.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 06:12 AM

It's their organization. They can choose what they will or will not accept. I see nothing wrong with this. I know plenty of Christians who boycott Harry Potter and Twilight.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Well that's a bunch of bullshit. And now that this is out I think it's really going to hurt them. I mean honestly why spend my money buying toys to give to Salvation Army when I can give it to a different organization that will appreciate anything given. They obviously aren't thinking about the children at all. And question does the Salvation Army only donate to Christian families? Either way I've lost pretty much all respect for them after this.
agreed...i seem to remember when i was 8 or 9 all the harry potter lies that circulating around one of them was there was baby sacrafices

let the kids have a dam imagination i dont know anyone whos read harry potter,twilight, or anything like that and joined a "cult" it might happen but i really doubt it was the books fault........

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 08:41 AM

lolwut? I know this may sound offensive but they should be grateful for ANY donations :| Anyway, HP or Twilight is hardly harmful. My aunt works for Salvation Army, I'm sure she finds it just as stupid :|

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
No, they don't only donate to Christian families. They donate to anyone. They just don't want to donate things that go against their beliefs. I think it's a good idea.
Surely violence goes against their beliefs? So why is it that toy guns are acceptable donations?

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. I could understand them not wanting actual witchcraft things, like Wicca things, Ouija boards etc. But Harry Potter and Twilight aren't real. And I'm pretty sure that kids know that. Are they also banning things from Disney since most Disney stories involve magic?

Because of their ban, there are basically no donations left for older children. So they'd rather deny these children Christmas presents entirely? In addition, they're isolating these children from the rest of their peers and completely ignoring the fact that Harry Potter encouraged a large percentage of the youngest generations to read.

I don't care about their beliefs; it's pretty clear that they care more about that than they do about the families that they supposedly help. And I have to agree with Taylor. When people find out about this, they'll probably just end up taking their donations to another, more open charity.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 11:07 AM

Fair point, they obviously don't care about the children that much :|

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 11:42 AM

that is ridiculous :/ TBH you would expect they'd be grateful to recieve such popular and expensive toys. But toy guns too , those are ok , but a Harry Potter action figure is not?
Honestly , this is so dumb

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 12:05 PM

Ok so if they donate to families of all faiths then they don't really have the right to restrict gifts based on just their beliefs. Their crazy twisted non-educated beliefs.

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 01:29 PM

Harry Potter is ridiculous.

Twilight I'm okay with. Hell, burn it all.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 02:41 PM

Was anyone actually surprised by this story? I can't say it was even the tiniest bit unexpected. Honestly I would have been surprised to see a sane decision coming any religious organization. Now THAT would be a story.

Such a stupid decision. I hope someone else starts taking those donations that the Salvation Army rejects as well as every other one. They really don't deserve a single donation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
Because of their ban, there are basically no donations left for older children. So they'd rather deny these children Christmas presents entirely? In addition, they're isolating these children from the rest of their peers and completely ignoring the fact that Harry Potter encouraged a large percentage of the youngest generations to read.
If they don't isolate them, they might think for themselves. And if they do that... what if they decide not to be Christian anymore?!?!?!?! The world would end. Obviously they need to just keep them isolated and brainwashed. Why do you think so many Christian kids are home-schooled? Believe me, I was home-schooled in a mostly secular environment, but I saw other home-school kids who were from heavily religious families. It was painful to watch.

~Cody

Normal User

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 03:09 PM

I do think it's stupid they aren't allowed to give things like Harry Potter stuff and Twilight things but can give things like toy guns.

However, like said, it's their organisation and it's more than I do. I like that they do thing's like this and I am not as such against it, I just don't as such understand why.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Surely violence goes against their beliefs? So why is it that toy guns are acceptable donations?
I don't know why, but they probably shouldn't be.

And the older kids will not be left out. There are still cds, movies (except Harry Potter and Twilight), clothes, mp3 players, books, jewlery.......they are still going to make sure that any older kids who need things get them. I know someone who works for them and runs the Salvation Army office in our city, and they go out and personally buy whatever they don't get enough of donated. Nobody will be left out.

I'm not saying that this decision was neccisary, I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with it and it was a good idea.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:

And the older kids will not be left out. There are still cds, movies (except Harry Potter and Twilight), clothes, mp3 players, books, jewlery.......they are still going to make sure that any older kids who need things get them. I know someone who works for them and runs the Salvation Army office in our city, and they go out and personally buy whatever they don't get enough of donated. Nobody will be left out.

I'm not saying that this decision was neccisary, I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with it and it was a good idea.
How in the world is it a good idea?! So not only are these kids terribly poor and such anyway, but then they are also denied the most popular things out there because some Christian organization has the psycho notion that Harry Potter causes harm (I hate Twilight and I actually do think it causes harm though not because of black magic because it glamorizes really sick relationships). Of course my opinion and the organization's opinion doesn't matter. All that matters is that you make those kids happy and if a Harry Potter DVD will do that, and someone took the time to buy it to donate it then why in the world would you turn that away.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 07:06 PM

Lol funny but stupid as a loose screw. SOOO primitive:

"We're gona ban Harry Potter 'cos it's EVIL, ooOOOoo"

It's like me saying Im gonna ban rubbish from getting thrown in the bin. I dono.

Idiots

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 07:42 PM

Although I'm not opposed to the rejection of Twilight based donations (actually, I'd prefer it if the whole series was just wiped out of existence), depriving children of Harry Potter is like depriving a Philosopher from thought. Classifying books as evil, when they are obviously not, seems silly to me. When I was growing up, one of my best friends was from a really religious family who would let their kids read Harry Potter. She is 21 now, and just read one of the books and told me: "I don't understand how I could have, or why anyone else could consider these books as evil considering how fun and benign they are." (I'm not religious people; this is just an example.)

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 10th 2010, 09:25 PM

I could see this in a sense, but at the same time it is not like it is real.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Guns are tools, just like forks, knives, screwdrivers, and hatchets. But just like all those things they can be misused.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Guns are tools, just like forks, knives, screwdrivers, and hatchets. But just like all those things they can be misused.
And how exactly are guns used that isn't violent? I honestly can't think of a typical use for a gun that isn't killing/injuring someone/thing.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 02:54 PM

See some people that they hand it out too may disagree with it, so they just take the issue out entirely.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 03:36 PM

Chalk another one up for the "stupid decision" brigade. How exactly a fictional novel written by a Christian which at its heart is a simple good versus evil story (albeit within a mythical magic-based framework) does any harm to Christianity or Christian values is beyond me. Whoever made that decision seems to be completely missing the point of the Toy Mountain campaign.

On another note, TheNumber42, please let's try not to turn this into a "bash-religion" thread. We've got plenty of them to choose from in the Religion forum.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

There's a similarity between these posts. You say it is a good idea for this ban yet you don't explain why, and you also don't explain why it's fine to have toy guns allowed. I'm sure some people receiving the toys would not want things along the lines of "black magic" but that hints at the Medieval times. Have we not gotten society out of the Medieval times with being terrified of black magic? What about the other families whose kids, you know, actually like Harry Potter, Twilight and the like? Is it just "oh well, those things are black magic, so pick something else. We have what you want but we don't like it so you cant have it". They can buy whatever things to make sure nobody is left out in the sense they get something but why be this stupid over it? They're pressing their Christian beliefs onto others who are not even of the same faith! Some people may be Christian yet not have this fear of "black magic" and would like to have their children receive such toys. So for them, instead of getting a Harry Potter thing, they'll get a toy gun.

So explain how and why this is a good idea? Is it just an act of self-reinforcement of their faith and it's good because they're practicing what they believe?

Suppose they want to help society in another way, wouldn't they also want to reduce violence? Giving a toy gun seems to encourage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post
Was anyone actually surprised by this story? I can't say it was even the tiniest bit unexpected. Honestly I would have been surprised to see a sane decision coming any religious organization. Now THAT would be a story.

Such a stupid decision. I hope someone else starts taking those donations that the Salvation Army rejects as well as every other one. They really don't deserve a single donation.
So true. A religion organization that makes a sane decision is news-worthy. I'd be fine if they kept this same decision but only applied it to Christian families. That's fair with me as they're not forcing their religious views onto people who do not share the same faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile

The purpose of a modern-day gun is to shoot something/someone with, so using it like that is not misusing it. If one were to use a gun to scrape off wallpaper, that would be misusing it. For screwdrivers, the purpose is to help build/deconstruct things via tightening or loosening screws. Misusing it would be stabbing someone with it. If you label them all as tools, then I assume the definition of a tool is a device to get something done with. In such case, I agree, a gun is a stool.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#24 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
This. Just because most people anymore seem to think that guns and knives are s00per-d00per scary weapons of mass destruction, they are in fact tools. I carry a knife everyday and have never even considered stabbing someone with it. I have used it to cut packages open, slice bread (after sterilizing it :P), extract splinters, lance blisters, open boxes, cut cardboard, reach into tight spaces to get something out, cut rope/cord, make wood shavings to start fires, whittle for fun, etc. I use it almost everyday and always as a tool, never a weapon.

Quote:
And how exactly are guns used that isn't violent? I honestly can't think of a typical use for a gun that isn't killing/injuring someone/thing.
Guns can be used recreationally shooting at targets, which is really fun and not violent in the least. They are also used for hunting, which could be considered violent I suppose. But without hunting, the damage to wildlife would be tremendous. I doubt anyone would want that. So, though sort of indirectly, guns are tools to preserve wildlife. For 99% of civilians, guns are nothing more than a fun tool to use in personal recreation. And for the tiny other sliver of people, they are a life saving defensive tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
On another note, TheNumber42, please let's try not to turn this into a "bash-religion" thread. We've got plenty of them to choose from in the Religion forum.
Good point, just pisses me off that with the state of the economy and whatnot, they can even consider not accepting any sort of donation. And for reasons I see as boneheaded, archaic and just plain dumb. But you're right, I'll leave that for other threads :P

~Cody

Normal User

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 05:42 PM

When is Hp based on Satanism?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
There are many types or sects of Satanism, so not sure which form you're talking about but regardless, for any form of it, I cant see it relating to HP one bit. Then again, it's a bunch of deluded Christians terrified of anything relating to the devil, and since HP has wand-waving magic without Christ, the only other option is the devil. It seems to be, if it's not involving Christ, it's evil and the devil by default, no other option is possible in the minds of them. I know it makes no sense but I'll heed to what dr2005 said and leave more of this for the religion area.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 06:11 PM

If I'm honest, regardless if this policy is right or wrong, I think you are all over reacting. A) why are you acting suprised, really? Its not like completely unpredictable. B) to claim there are no other popular things for the teen age group is ridiculas. If Harry Potter and Twilight is all that teenagers want, there is something wrong with our society (especially in relation to Twilight, and we should not be encouraging anyone to read it or watch it). C) to me the most important reason you are over reacting is simply, its not like they are just throwing away the banned toys. If they were, I think it'd be a lot worse, but they are sending them to another organisation to still give to kids, so they are still being put to use. Though if I'm honest if they feel they can do that in good conscience, I don't get why they really need the middle man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
Fair point, they obviously don't care about the children that much :|
I really don't know how you get this interperatation. In their minds they clearly think its a bad thing for kids to have such products, so right or wrong, they are doing what they think is good. So I assume they do care quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
Who mentionned Satanism? The occult, and witchcraft, etc, does not always come hand in hand with Satanism. In fact, many Satanists are athiests, who wont try be involved in the occult, etc.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 07:05 PM

Personally, anyone who hate's twilight, I love.

Seriously though, it's within they're right to do this if the wish. Just becuese they dont want one of two things in there donation bin does not make the organization it self bad. Step back and look at the whole picture.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 11th 2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
Personally, anyone who hate's twilight, I love.
LOL, agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
Seriously though, it's within they're right to do this if the wish. Just becuese they dont want one of two things in there donation bin does not make the organization it self bad. Step back and look at the whole picture.
True, it is within their right to do so. It's almost like dangling the toys above the children's heads (those who want them at least) but then rejecting them because they don't like it yet they are not the receivers nor the initial givers of the toys. I'd understand rejecting the toys if they're malfunctional or dangerous but they're rejecting them without looking at them much. It just seems odd how they're in a way acting like they're the receivers of the toys by saying they don't want them.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 13th 2010, 02:35 AM

It is a private organization, I think they can restrict and accept whatever donations they want.

However, I personally think this is ridiculous. Unless they are handing out Ouija boards, it's not going to encourage any black magic. Harry Potter simply has a magical world dealing with moral issues such as life death, family and belonging, where teenagers wave wands made of mythical material and say random phrases to levitate clubs over the heads of trolls.

And Twilight has sparkling vampires -_____- I've seen Saturday morning cartoons darker then that. The only "bad" thing about Twilight is how it teaches girl how to chose a loving, responible, non-stalkery man (actual wait, scratch that, reverse it :P )

Personal quips about Twi-stalker-light aside, I think it is sill, but it is the Salvation Armies right to be silly.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Salvation Army rejects "black magic" toy donations (anything like Harry Potter or Twighlight) - December 13th 2010, 03:14 AM

Meh, it's their organization they can run it however they want. But they have to realize that by being so petty about what they will/won't accept donations of they most likely will be missing out on alot of well intended donations.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

Closed Thread