TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Disabled man pulled from wheelchair during student protests by policeman. - December 15th 2010, 04:01 PM

I know there is a thread about the tuition fees but I felt this deserved it's own thread. (feel free to merge if needed)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11993680

Quote:
Video footage of a protester apparently being dragged from his wheelchair by police and pulled across a street has emerged amid claims the police used disproportionate force in dealing with student demonstrators last week.

Jody McIntyre says he was the victim of unprovoked action by the police who appeared to pull him from his wheelchair.

The Metropolitan police have responded to the video and released the following statement:

"In connection with the incident shown on you tube of a tuition fees protestor in a wheelchair, the Met Police confirm the man involved Jody McIntyre has not launched an official complaint. The issue has been referred by the Met Police to Directorate of Professional Standards - The Met Police will contact Jody McIntyre directly."

The BBC cannot verify the authenticity of this footage
In Interviews he has said he hasn't launched an official complaint yet as he is seeking legal advice first.

Last edited by Melody Pond; December 15th 2010 at 05:51 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Disabled man pulled from wheelchair during student protests. - December 16th 2010, 02:44 AM

I heard about that...Terroja Kincaid (The Amazing Atheist/TJ Does Life on youtube) did a video about that...the BBC reporter said "it appears he was coming at the police in his wheel chair" or something similar, but seriously, this guy can't move...you didn't need to beat him, pull him from his chair, whatever because he came near you during a riot..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Disabled man pulled from wheelchair during student protests. - December 17th 2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
I heard about that...Terroja Kincaid (The Amazing Atheist/TJ Does Life on youtube) did a video about that...the BBC reporter said "it appears he was coming at the police in his wheel chair" or something similar, but seriously, this guy can't move...you didn't need to beat him, pull him from his chair, whatever because he came near you during a riot..
The thing you are talking about is this appauling BBC interview, where the guy was trying so hard to villify Jody (wheelchair guy). He first tried to make a big deal that Jody was taking time to seek legal advice before complaining. The reporter than went on to 'It was suggested you were rolling toward the police', and after Jody explained he couldn't even move his own chair, it had to be pushed by his younger brother, the BBC reporter ignored this and asked again, before moving on to ask if Jody was throwing things (which is ridiculas as he can't even move his own chair). Eventually the reporter drops that one and tries to suggest Jody must of been shouting things (video footage doesnt pick up on that, and judging the BBC report, I think the guy would struggle to shout). Basically it was a farce of the video, where Jody showed up the reporter at every turn.

Though Jody made a suggestion why he may have been targeted, which I actually would believe possible - to incite anger and violence in other student protesters.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Disabled man pulled from wheelchair during student protests. - December 17th 2010, 04:53 PM

It's just another disgusting example of how far this country has fallen =/.

And I hadnt' seen that interview, though getting more people to become violent does sound like the type of underhand tactic which I wouldn't put passed them ..

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
Closed Thread