TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: What do you think about Coulter's remarks?
I agree. She has a point. 0 0%
I disagree. What was she thinking? 22 100.00%
Mixed feelings. 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magneto Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Radiation is good for you - March 19th 2011, 04:55 AM

link

Right-wing blowhard Ann Coulter took her incendiary views to a whole new level Thursday, this time finding the silver lining in Japan's nuclear disaster.

During a segment on Bill O'Reilly's Fox News show, the conservative firebrand tried to calm jittery viewers by telling them "radiation is good for you."

Coulter went on to say that a growing body of evidence shows exposure to radiation above levels the government deems harmful actually reduces cancer.

The wannabe plutonium pundit cited her website's latest column, "A glowing report on radiation," in which she wrote, "With the terrible earthquake and resulting tsunami that have devastated Japan, the only good news is that anyone exposed to excess radiation from the nuclear power plants is now probably much less likely to get cancer."

Coulter pointed to articles in The Times of London and The New York Times as proof.

"So by your account, we should all be heading for the nuclear reactor" leaking radiation in Japan, joked a skeptical O'Reilly.

Some 140,000 people have been evacuated from a danger zone around the country's damaged reactors.

"You have to be responsible," he added.

"The prevailing wisdom is there's a level of radiation that's gonna hurt you and perhaps kill you ... What you say may be true - there may be some doses of radiation that in the human body can ward off infection. But in something like this, you gotta get the folks out of there, and you have to report worst-case scenarios."

O'Reilly pointed to the 1945 atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as proof that radiation kills, but Coulter wouldn't budge.

She is the latest pundit to cause a stir for their controversial remarks on the tsunami and earthquake that devastated Japan.

CNBC anchor Larry Kudlow was slammed after callously saying he was grateful the human toll was far worse than the economic toll.
He later apologized.

Rapper 50 Cent also made a foot-in-his-mouth comment on Twitter.

"Wave will hit 8am them crazy white boys gonna try to go surfing," he wrote. "Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoes from LA, Hawaii and Japan. I had to do it. Lol."

Comedian Gilbert Gottfried was fired earlier this week by insurance company Aflac for insensitive tweets he posted, including, "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

Send a message via AIM to Magneto  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 19th 2011, 05:25 AM

I love Ann Coulter, but that's just because I love any person who gives Kathy Griffin such great material to work with. But Coulter has proven time after time that she is insane and the fact that we still even give her notice is what's really sad.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 19th 2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I love Ann Coulter, but that's just because I love any person who gives Kathy Griffin such great material to work with.
+10

Also, I never really cared about Coulter. Then, she said on air, that Jews are simply imperfected Christians.

So she can go fuck herself with a fuel rod and see how much good it does for her.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 19th 2011, 06:03 AM

Idiot -_- I don't like her, but she makes it easier for people to make jokes about her. So in a way, it's funny but it's still ughish.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 19th 2011, 06:43 AM

What the hell is this person on?

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 19th 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
+10

Also, I never really cared about Coulter. Then, she said on air, that Jews are simply imperfected Christians.

So she can go fuck herself with a fuel rod and see how much good it does for her.
She does know Jews came before Christians right?

Back on topic, Radiation can cause mutations, both physical and genetic, and you can die from Radiation exposure and Radiation poisoning. I dont think she knows what shes talking about.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 20th 2011, 03:03 AM

I hate this idiot. I invite her to go into a nuclear reactor and get all the "benefits" she can from the radiation! It's one thing for her to talk about politics and social issues with her extreme views, but talking about scientific and medical terminology and ideas without any actual knowledge or understanding of what she's saying is just plain ignorant.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 20th 2011, 03:12 AM

Well, what can I sy. At least O'Reilly was skeptical.

...And did anyone else LOL at the Gilbert Gottfried quote? Or does that make me a bad person?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 20th 2011, 08:04 AM

Wtf... lol. Ima go bathe in nuclear radiation to get some of those vitamin-D rich apha particles, or whatever. I'm 3 years behind on physics since I left school... so maybe she is right as far as I know. Pft whatever. How do people like that get publicity? Apart from bluepeter and bigbrother type of programes?

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 20th 2011, 10:07 AM

I was laughing mostly at Gottfried's quoted comments than anything else from the link.

This is something I don't care for: someone yammering on a topic they know diddly-squat about. I'd much rather have some experts/researchers in the particular areas talking about the scientific knowledge, not some person who glanced over a few sheets of papers. I'd much rather have a nucleur physicist go on about complex stuff I don't understand so others can understand it, then have the physicist "dumb it down" so I can understand it. However, Ann Coulter can only cite things she probably doesn't understand then go on national television and make sweeping claims.

I kind of laughed at when it said "skeptical Bill O'Reilly". Whenever someone is discussing or debating with him, he's always skeptical. If he weren't skeptical on this, that'd amaze me.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Someday Offline
Somehow
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sam

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 21st 2011, 05:53 AM

You just need to see the word Fox to know it's total BS, nothing worth debating IMO lol...

ďSomewhere there is someone that dreams of your smile, and finds in your presence that life is worthwhile, so when you are lonely remember itís true, someone somewhere is thinking of you.Ē

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 21st 2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
You just need to see the word Fox to know it's total BS, nothing worth debating IMO lol...
That ^.

This made me facepalm. What a fucking idiot -_-;; Makes me lose hope in humanity that there's people as stupid as that who havn't accidentally fallen into refuse crushing machine...

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Radiation is good for you - March 21st 2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Odinson View Post

That ^.

This made me facepalm. What a fucking idiot -_-;; Makes me lose hope in humanity that there's people as stupid as that who havn't accidentally fallen into refuse crushing machine...
Don't worry about it mate, we can always try and put the world to rights someday. But yes, she needs to have an educational in the nature of nuclear fission and nuclear reactors generally - either that or put her money where her mouth is and volunteer to help the workers trying to bring it back under control. I'm sure they'd happily put her straight on a few things...

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say "put the world to rights" I don't mean actually pushing people into refuse crushing machines. Just want to make that clear as I realised just how bad that actually looks!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Last edited by dr2005; March 21st 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Closed Thread