TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 22nd 2011, 06:47 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15819369

Thoughts?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 761746 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 22nd 2011, 07:35 PM

...and the bbc should be trusted becouse?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 22nd 2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goblins Blade View Post
...and the bbc should be trusted becouse?
The British Broadcasting Corporation is the largest broadcaster in the world. Its mostly provides public service announcements and news to the UK. The BBC is a public service broadcaster that operates under a Royal Charter and a Licence and Agreement from the Home Secretary.

... It's about as trustable as the USA's NPR. Which is to say, entirely trustable. However, the opinions in some of the editorial pieces articles are the author's own.

Last edited by Daivia; November 22nd 2011 at 08:01 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 22nd 2011, 07:58 PM

British brainwashing corperation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 22nd 2011, 08:43 PM

You don't have to agree with the article or the BBC's bias towards the government in control at the time of publication, but they're a very reliable source of news so I don't know what basis you have to go on them being untrustworthy.

I'm quite socially conservative, so I agree with the article to an extent. We shouldn't be shielding children from the world, because if we do they won't know what to do when the real world hits them. But at the same time, as the article states, pole dancing classes for young children and young teenagers just feels a bit inappropriate to me. I get that it can be considered a physical workout, but it has stronger connotations than that and those are strongly sexual.

I don't think it's just girls, I think children in general are being raised in a world where the media has taken sex to the point where there is no taboo. Girls as young as 10 or 11 wearing those trendy denim shorts just doesn't seem proper because they are designed to show off a lot of flesh. If you're 18, fine, whatever. But when you're that young it just seems like you're growing up far too quickly and ought to behave like a child. Have fun, worry about falling out with your best friend then making up half an hour later, and stop trying to rush through the most care-free years of your life.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 22nd 2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goblins Blade View Post
British brainwashing corperation
You must troll harder and with more finesse my good man. You'll never become my apprentice at this rate.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 23rd 2011, 08:21 AM

I think it's all pretty ridiculous. Every present young generation will always be 'morally corrupt' compared to the generations before them. It's true of 50 years ago, it's true of now and it'll still be true in 50 years time. I think people just like to pat themselves on the back at how more mature and morally centred they were compared to people today. I think it's also a bit of jealously of the young.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly see young girls these days parading around in next to nothing but I think it's unfair to paint all young girls with the same brush. I also don't think much has changed since all the past generations of young girls other than that society has become more comfortable with ideas of sex and more casual about what is and isn't acceptable to wear. That's true of everyone though, not just young girls. I also think it's stupid to blame society. If you let your 13 year old go to the mall in high heels, a short skirt and a crop top you only have yourself to blame for being an idiot.

I also think that people our age like to put on their long clip on beards so they can stroke it while they say some BS like "Oh, our generation is ruined! All we care about are parties and celebrities. Past generations weren't like this. Hey, at least I admit it!" Of course by 'we' and 'our' they mean you and everyone else. Then everyone around them agrees and they all pat themselves on the back for being a part of that special minority who is actually morally sound and sensible. I think it's crap to be honest. People just say that to elevate themselves and I think if you have to put everyone down to prove how you are the shining exception to the rule you're not sensible or mature at all.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 24th 2011, 04:37 AM

To some extent, it's the natural development of things. Each generation is raised to different cultural and social standards and different ideas of what kids should and shouldn't be doing. It's just the way things are.

To some extent the reason it seems so sudden and immoral is because since the start of the the 21st century the media has exploded, especially the internet. Anywhere on any given day there are many media outlets that we all get input from. With so much more information available, what is culturally acceptable has seemed to change at an alarming rate. So in all honesty it's just the natural progression of society.

Like someone else pointed out, the same thing has happened in the generation before me, and the generation before that, and so on and so forth. Times just change. World events, politics, media, demographics, psychology, consumerism, religion, the changing nature of familial relationships, economics, crime...all these things and more play a part in why customs change over time. The world just keeps on spinning.

Would I say that children (not just girls) are falling into a moral abyss? No. But I do question what the consequences of such change will be. I have not failed to notice girls who wear make up at ten or eleven, or wear high heels and carry purses to school. I have seen four year olds who have 8 gig iPods, and ten year olds with iPhones. I have witnessed the generation that has come after me lose their sense of politeness and manners. And it is bothersome. But to some degree, I don't think there is anything you can do about it other than try and raise your own children right. And I don't think a little bit of a course in sexualization and the like would hurt, either.

My point is, change is here to stay. And you delude yourself if you think you can return to a world where things are the way you were when you were an earlier age, no matter what that might be.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Girls' schools leader: Girls growing up in "moral abyss" - November 24th 2011, 06:32 AM

I find it hilarious when Dr. Wright accuses the show, The X-Factor as glamorizing bullying because people are encouraged to be at each others' throats. Unless I'm living in some other galaxy, this competition is found everywhere in society, from school to business to scientific research and so forth. However, she ignores all of those sources and focuses on some mindless singing show, as though it were the only one that exists.

I'm not sure how or why but apparently boys are left out of this moral abyss. Girls wearing "mini-me" sexy clothing and make-up conform to the changing cultural demands as well as marketing strategies. If they weren't advertised as being so popular, parents probably wouldn't buy them, so essentially she's pointing the blame at the parents mostly and a bit to the marketing. It's asinine to then suggest boys are immune to these marketing strategies, which is exactly what she is implying by ignoring them. Parents probably buy that type of clothing because that is what they see advertised all over the place and if they don't want to buy it, they may give their child unpopular clothing, which could lead to alienation.

The world is changing and you either go with it or try to oppose it but in all likelihood fail.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread