TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guardian_Angel Offline
Protector.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Peter

Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 11:54 AM

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.as...entid=15387783

I think its disturbing that people that you place your trust in are encouraging people to look for a "cure" for their feelings. It is giving out the entirely wrong message. If a person came to me asking for a cure i would reassure them saying that there was nothing wrong with them?

What do you guys think?

Impossible
is a word
to be found only
in the dictionary of fools.

To do all that one is able to do,
Is to be a man;
To do all that one would like to do,
Is to be a god.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Quiero tener sandías con un patito como Tricia!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 11:58 AM

I was reading this in the metro

Personally I think it's shocking and shouldn't be done. Equality and integration is the way forward. On the bright side we are not as backward as Iran in this matter

(#3 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 03:48 PM

There will always be people who are homophobic the same way there will always be people who are racist. Through education and research, though, hopefully we can lessen those numbers. If someone had tried to "cure" my queer, my mom would have punched them in the nose. xD

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 04:23 PM

I'm not shocked by this at all. I don't know why, maybe I should be shocked, but i'm not. I do, however, think that it's completely wrong. No one needs to be 'cured' of being homosexual/bisexual. I think it's ridiculous, but i'm not suprised that there is a 'market' for it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 06:07 PM

Yeah, same as Stephanie, i'm not at all shocked by this. That doesn't make it right, but there will always be poeple out there who have homophobic views.. and always people who want to make money out of it.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 06:13 PM

This doesn't really surprise me. Someone will always try to "cure" LGBT people of being LGBT. I'd like to tell them good luck trying. It's completely wrong and it's sad, but I don't see it ever truly going away 100%.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 06:24 PM

I think that if someone wishes to be hetero and has a legitimate reason to then they should be able to get professional help. Why not?
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
I think that if someone wishes to be hetero and has a legitimate reason to then they should be able to get professional help. Why not?
Because there is no legitimate cure for it, as there's nothing to cure. Also, a lot of people who go into these are teens forced by bigot parents. And most people who go into these are worse off than before.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
Because there is no legitimate cure for it, as there's nothing to cure. Also, a lot of people who go into these are teens forced by bigot parents. And most people who go into these are worse off than before.
The article was more about whether psychologists would do it if asked by the patient.

The problem is the word cure. I agree that homosexuality isn't an illness, but that doesn't mean you can't psychological reprogram the mind to change it's tendancies.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 26th 2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
The article was more about whether psychologists would do it if asked by the patient.

The problem is the word cure. I agree that homosexuality isn't an illness, but that doesn't mean you can't psychological reprogram the mind to change it's tendancies.
"There is very little evidence to show that attempting to treat a person's homosexual feelings is effective and, in fact, it can actually be harmful."

That's the major quote. It's doing harm to yourself. There is no benefit whatsoever for this kind of stuff.

Also, this should DEFINITELY NOT be legal for a person under the age of 18. It should be the patient who decides this, not the parents. This is only assuming it's legal.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 27th 2009, 02:19 AM

I personally am not surprised that this is still happening. It's sad that people are going to them, thinking they can be cured.

--A

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 27th 2009, 10:07 PM

This is why people are frightened that they'll find a physically reason for being gay, bi-sexual and so forth. Because some people don't want to be changed.

But transgender people are granted their request, if they go through the whole process and so forth. I suppose if someone really hated it, and had gone through intensive therapy to try and make them okay with themselves, they should be able to have the oppurtunity to change - if it would make their life better.

But I would never want it, and I don't think it should happen as often as it is.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 28th 2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Because as already implied, conversion therapy is ineffective, and generally harmful to a person. In America, it also costs a heck of a lot of money.

Quote:
As I just said, there's no evidence you can reprogram your orientation like that.

On the bright side, in the UK, there isn't a massive 'ex-gay movement'.

But its still sad to know that this sort of thing hasn't got less common then in the past.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 28th 2009, 09:57 AM

I'm not suprised by this. I mean they used to treat homosexuality with aversion therapy, so that they associated any gay thoughts with hirrible experiences. And in the majority of cases it didn't last, which suggests that it's not something you can pick and choose.
I understand why some people might be unhappy with their sexuality, but they could put themselves through these therapies, only to find they don't work, which in the long run could hurt them more.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#15 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 28th 2009, 10:03 AM

i suppose theyre only there because theres a market for it, which is even worse that people are so ashamed of their sexuality that they feel they must do this.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
MaggzB Offline
I love him so much <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Maggie

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 28th 2009, 02:35 PM

this is completely wrong and i think that its bull. as i am bisxeual its not like a sickness its something your born as and you figure it out later on in life after experimenting and what not there is no cure and i think people need to learn to deal with the GBLT cmmunity and leave us alone (:

i love you <3
  Send a message via AIM to MaggzB Send a message via MSN to MaggzB Send a message via Yahoo to MaggzB Send a message via Skype™ to MaggzB 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 28th 2009, 02:58 PM

I'm horrified by the way all the news outlets have twisted the results of this study. There is a huge difference between trying to "cure" homosexuality and helping people repress it if so asked. You can "curtail" straight desires to an extent so I don't see why homosexual ones should be special.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 28th 2009, 03:19 PM

"...health professionals surveyed reported having helped at least one patient curtail their gay, lesbian or bisexual feelings.
One in 25 psychiatrists or therapists said they would try to treat someone who was having such emotions if asked today..."
If you ask to be "helped" with it, then somebody's going to "help" you for the money. I'm with Jack on this one. The media is liberal, ladeeda.

=P

(#19 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Therapists and Psychartrists still practice "gay cure" - March 29th 2009, 10:50 PM

There is nothing to cure! This is just the way some people are. They can't change that. I'm not surprised by this practice, but I am surprised at how these so-called psychiatrists and therapists can sleep at night thinking they can cure homosexuality. The times are changing. Homosexuality should never have been a problem in the first place imo. They are equal to heteros and deserve every right heteros do.

Closed Thread