TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 04:03 PM

My girlfriend and I have had an argument like this a couple times over the course of our relationship, so I have to ask you all...

Does make-up mask your true beauty or accentuate your true beauty?

At what point does the amount of make-up a woman uses become excessive?

Do you believe that excessive is the same thing as fake?

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 789304 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 04:12 PM

Let me start off by saying I NEVER wear make up. I did not wear make up to my prom and I don't wear it in small amounts in "everyday" life.
1. Yes it does mask your true beauty. I believe it hinds the true beauty of confidence. My roommate in college will not step out the door for anything without spending 15-20 minutes on her makeup. So many girls around me complain about how time consuming make up is or how they couldn't get it just right that morning. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with looking natural. My boyfriend prefers it. I know some people feel that by putting on make up, they feel more confident. To me, this isn't really confidence. It's fake because when the make up comes off at night, your confidence goes away.
2. Any! at least for me. I once had my make up done at a girls party about 3 years ago and I looked in the mirror and cried. That girl wasn't me.
3. Yep. There is a new make up that says "I want to look natural, not fake." But when you put on makeup, you are no longer natural, you are 100% fake. I believe any make up is fake. If people won't accept you because you don't want to give into peer pressure, countless ads, and a huge money pit, then that is their loss.

Makeup is so expensive. It cost a lot of money, but it also costs you part of your self worth. To think that you aren't naturally pretty enough to walk outside without makeup on is really sad. If you don't like me because I refuse to wear make up, it's your loss, because I'm pretty awesome.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 04:24 PM

Anyone who claims that girls always look better without makeup is either white-knighting or delusional. It's a great way to cover up flaws and accentuate good features, which is probably why women have been using it since probably sometime around the discovery of fire. It's entirely possible to get it wrong, of course, either by using excessive makeup (a good test for excessiveness is when it comes off on my previously pristine black shirt) or just bad application/choice of colours.

As for whether excessive = fake, I don't think it does. Extreme eyeliner can look very cool. And if we're treating unnatural as bad, why focus on makeup? There are plenty of things we do to make ourselves look better: shaving, washing, tattooing, wearing clothes, etc.

11 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 04:28 PM

I do not necessarily think make-up is a "bad" thing. However some have been proven to contain slightly questionable materials, been tested on animals, or can lower a man's sperm count. Those are obviously "bad".

Generally I think if you spend more than $25 on make-up per month, you're going wayyy too far.

I personally believe although it can help a woman's self confidence to believe they look good, it damages them in knowing they can only look good with powder on their faces.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 04:35 PM

1. Both yes and no. I like my natural look, and like the make-up look (especially to formal occasions). I think make-up can accentuate and natural can be just as beautiful.

2. Anytime you can tell that makeup is being worn at all.

I prefer the subtle kinds- blush to make my cheeks rosier, lip stain to color my lips, and mascara to color what little lower lash I have so it is at least visible (without it I look like I almost no lower eyelashes). In this way it looks like have no makeup on (no visible eyeshadow or inhuman colors as tip-offs)

3. No. Excessive is too much of something (mascara or eyeshadow). Fake would be putting in fake lashes or drawing on fake eyebrows. There is a difference.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Baxter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Anyone who claims that girls always look better without makeup is either white-knighting or delusional.
Eh. In general I think that's true, but on the very rare occasion there's a naturally accentuated girl who makeup does very little. Personally, I'd really like to know if a girl looks like a completely different person without make up, because she can't hide it forever.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 04:49 PM

1.) Does make-up mask your true beauty or accentuate your true beauty?
Ehh. I don't wear make-up because I personally like how I look without it. However, on formal occassions (high school dances, dates, etc.) I wear make-up and I also like how it looks then. I think it really depends on the person and the extent of how much make-up they wear.

2.) At what point does the amount of make-up a woman uses become excessive?
When their face looks completely different than when they're not wearing make-up. If you look unnatural or like a clown, that's wrong.

3.) Do you believe that excessive is the same thing as fake?
No, I think that excessive is looking silly and fake is pencilling in eyebrows, fake eyelashes, etc. Yet, plastering your face with make-up to the point where you don't even look like yourself anymore could be classified as fake too.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 07:22 PM

Depends on how and why it's used - if it's used to emphasise aspects of a person's appearance that they're happy about and make them feel confident, then it accentuates it. If it's being used to try and coverup someone's face in a manner akin to polyfilla because they don't like how they look, it's a mask.

When there is a sizeable difference between pre- and post-makeup appearance.

In the context of the above, it can very easily be.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 07:35 PM

A lot of girls use the shotgun approach to make-up, and it's not doing them any favors.

The vast majority of the time, I think the benefit reaped from applying makeup is so little it's not worth the hassle. And even then, a lot of girls apply the stuff like it's cam paint, and it looks ridiculous. I've always thought that if you've used it, and I can't notice it, then you've done a good job.

It's one of those things where it's a lot easier to screw it up and make things worse, then to do it right and look great.

- Yogi

(#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 08:45 PM

I pretty much never wear make-up except when I'm going out for a special occasion. And maybe it's because I'm an actress and therefore spend a good amount of time in stage make-up that I don't wear it normally. However on the rare occasion I wear it's because it does make me look better. It does enhance my face. I just don't wear it normally because I'm lucky enough to have skin where I don't have to. But I know plenty of girl who look like a completely different person without makeup and it's not for the better.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 09:04 PM

I've never worn make-up at some point I probably will, but it just depends
1. It can do either, it depends how it's used
2. When you can tell that someone is wearing way too much or it's too thick
3. If the person uses an excesive amounts on purpose then I'd consider it fake, but there are some people who just don't realize what they're doing when it comes to make up.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 09:18 PM

I don't think it does mask up beauty. Some girls are lucky, they are god damn naturally beautifully stunning and perhaps just need a bit of mascara to build their lashes, while for others wearing make-up does make them look better. It can cover bags under eyes, dark park around the bottom of your nose and help cover spots leaving the person feeling more confident.

When their face is full on orange, the foundation goes a little lumpy on their skin and their eye lashes have LOTS of lumps of mascara.

No. I think you can put quite a bit of make-up and still look good but you have to know how to apply it and have the right tones for you skin and hair colour to blend it all in.

I'm not saying every girl should wear make-up. Some look better with some look better with out. That's just how it is!

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 09:42 PM

Personally, I love make-up. I don't have to wear it to walk out of the house, but I enjoy putting make-up on in the morning. If I'm stressed about the coming day, doing my make-up is something that helps calm me down. Does it make me feel more confident? Yes. But does that mean that I have no confidence when I'm not wearing it? No. Wearing make-up is really no different to wearing nice clothes and I don't really understand why so many people are against it.

1. It can do either. If you are using the right colours for your skin tone and you aren't applying too much, then it will accentuate your true beauty. If you are one of those girls who wears too-dark foundation to look tanner, then it's just a mask.

2. I'm going to disagree with all those who said that if you can tell someone is wearing make-up, then it's too much. If you are wearing coloured eyeshadow or coloured anything, then people can tell you are wearing make-up. But that doesn't mean that it is too excessive. I would say that if you look like Katy Perry or Ke$ha in everyday life, then you are wearing too much make-up. Or if you are constantly running off to the bathroom or checking yourself in a mirror to fix your make-up.

3. I don't really know how to answer this. I mean it really depends on your definition of fake. To me, being fake is when a person pretends to be something that they are not. So if they are the type of girl who enjoys wearing make-up and therefore wears a lot, that's not really fake. If they are wearing it because they don't feel at all confident otherwise, then... they are obviously struggling with a lot of self-esteem issues and I'm not going to call them fake for that either.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Women & Make-up - January 6th 2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:

1. I only use make-up to make my eyes pop, so I use eye shadow, mascara and eyeliner. I have grey-ish blue eyes, so when I use "darker" make-up, it makes my eyes really stand out. So I guess you could I use it to accentuate my eyes true beauty Also, if I have a blemish or zit that just isn't going away, I use some cover up to help mask that since I'm a bit self-conscious about my acne.

2. I think it becomes excessive when it's CAKED on. When you can clearly tell that the skin tone of their face is completely different from the skin tone of their arms or hands (considering if they're wearing a t-shirt or tank top).

3. Yes. Too much make-up just shows that you're trying to hide something, or trying to be someone you're not.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Women & Make-up - January 7th 2012, 06:17 PM

A bit is fine I guess. If someone has face completely covered in acne for example, then obviously it's understandable that they want to cover it up, or at least reduce it.

What irritates me is when some girls look like they've painted their face orange with fake tan sprays.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Women & Make-up - January 8th 2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Anyone who claims that girls always look better without makeup is either white-knighting or delusional. It's a great way to cover up flaws and accentuate good features, which is probably why women have been using it since probably sometime around the discovery of fire. It's entirely possible to get it wrong, of course, either by using excessive makeup (a good test for excessiveness is when it comes off on my previously pristine black shirt) or just bad application/choice of colours.

As for whether excessive = fake, I don't think it does. Extreme eyeliner can look very cool. And if we're treating unnatural as bad, why focus on makeup? There are plenty of things we do to make ourselves look better: shaving, washing, tattooing, wearing clothes, etc.
Well, here's what spurred our argument in the first place that I feel I should explain.

My girlfriend has had a fairly bad history with ex-boyfriends. Ever since middle school, she's been picked on by other people, and she's even told me that some of her ex-boyfriends didn't like being with her in public because she was too ugly or too fat (or both). She believed that she couldn't really do any better, so she settled with these mediocre looking guys and dealt with so much shit from them. Now that she has me as a boyfriend, someone who loves her very much, I feel like I have an obligation to reverse everything she's been told. I've even told her that if she were to break up with me, I would want her to at LEAST get out of the relationship that I cared about her very much, and I found her beautiful regardless.

Recently, she asked me if she was "wearing too much make-up" and I got kind of upset because I'm the type of guy who couldn't give two shits about what people say, could go out in public looking like a hobo and it wouldn't even make a difference to me. It's not my decision on what she wears, and I wasn't the type of guy to ask because I would still love her just the same if she didn't have any. It was a yes or no question and I went on about how it wouldn't make a difference and blah blah blah. And I said all that for many reasons...mainly because I want her to feel comfortable with her own body without the make-up before she puts it on because I care about her emotional well being. From everything she's told me to my personal observation, I just assumed that she's too concerned about what other people think and not so much recently after our argument and what I've learned from here as well. Perhaps it's a "white-knight" thing to do, but I got a strong relationship with her and I think that's because I'm different than all the rest of them because I do the exact opposite of what they've done. I just thought I should explain the situation before someone gets the impression that I'm telling white lies...because in my eyes, it's not a lie at all.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Women & Make-up - January 8th 2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Anyone who claims that girls always look better without makeup is either white-knighting or delusional. It's a great way to cover up flaws and accentuate good features, which is probably why women have been using it since probably sometime around the discovery of fire.
I think men should take more note of this, lots of them have a fair few flaws they'd be better off covering up

I think one of the main problems with make up, especially when girls start wearing it young, is that society has outlined it as this thing women should use to make pretty. And obviously when people who are too young get hold of mature things, they often don't quite get it right. Many adults who wear excessive amounts appear to have poor self image. If you are in the UK, look up the show 'Snog, Marry, Avoid'.... its a humourous 'make under show', and when asked about their extreme appearances, many of these women, and the occassional men, clearly think they are not good enough.

Make up isn't inheritantly bad. It doesn't nessecerly 'mask beauty', but that's due to its cultural use. For example the past, the rich men wore more make up than women. Paler skin is more desirable in say the east, whereas here people use make up and fake tan to darken their skin tone, because it's percieved as beauty.

My point is, make can help one follow a culture's current given trend of beauty, with beauty as a changing concept. I definitely don't think make up is needed for beauty. At most I've only ever worn eye liner. Make is also sometimes used as simple self modification for personal satisfaction.

Most people find excessive make up, where foundation might be so thick you cant even see though to any skin, or what not, highly unattractive.... except apparently in Essex. But as I said, its all cultural, and personal.

One thing I have to say though is that I do find it weird when a girl I know who usually wears make up, isnt wearing make up, because sometimes they look so different, its weird.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Women & Make-up - January 8th 2012, 04:12 AM

It can do either, I think it usually masks for most people, probably covers up my ugliness. But if you know how to do it, you can really bring out your eyes or lips, you know, your favorite parts.

At the point where she looks like a completely different human being without it. With me, when I don't wear make up, my skin is a bit redder and my eyelashes are not as dark. That's really it. But when my former best friend doesn't wear make up, her skin tone is completely different, her eyebrows are a different shape, she redoes her lips in different shapes and sizes, I mean, it's EXTREME. She's beautiful either way, but at the same time, it's not her. She's just making herself a make up mask.

No. Fake is something on the inside, not the outside. Make up is a way to express yourself. I think if people want to be like my friend, that's your life. Go ahead. But it's excessive, and it is wearing a mask.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Women & Make-up - January 8th 2012, 05:30 AM

Well, it depends. If you overdo it to the point where you look plastic, it's too much imho.

That's subjective. Personally, I'm a firm believer in makeup as a way of expression. I wear makeup. I don't do it because I want boys to like me or to feel accepted; I do it because I want to. I once met a guy who would wear crazy face makeup. Why? To show people that it's ok to be different. He was really cool. Makeup is only excessive if it's for the wrong reasons.

Not necessarily. Maybe some girls put on a lot of makeup because they think they're ugly. It's unfair to call them fake. Maybe it makes them feel powerful. I'd question whether or not they feel powerless in other aspects of their life. It depends on the person and why they do it.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Women & Make-up - January 9th 2012, 10:27 AM

Make up masks FLAWS. For example, my eyelashes are short and pale,I wear lenghening mascarra. Not false lashes as I look like a goof

I don't have pimples- only frekles whic I like So therefore, I dont wear foundation.

Lipgloss, whatever matches my outfit. Pale pink, red etc

when she uses things for no reason - why wear mascarra if she has UBER LASHES?

When her foundaion makes her look like an orange.

No, as acheron pointed out, excessive eyeliner can look amazing!

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Women & Make-up - January 9th 2012, 01:30 PM

I can't type out a massive response to every question because I'm on my iPod but I think it depends on the person and why they use makeup. I wear very little, just a little mascara (sometimes) and eye liner because without I look 12 despite being in my second year at uni. I wear it for myself an most people have no idea I wear it.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Women & Make-up - January 9th 2012, 02:01 PM

I honestly think it accentuates true beauty. Personally make-up does make me look better when I wear it. There's nothing wrong with using make-up to highlight your features, make your skin more even or your eyes stand out more. You definitely have to be able to know what suits you and what doesn't though.

When people stop staring because you're pretty and start staring because you resemble a clown. Tons of off-colour foundation, bright eyeshadows and lipsticks aren't necessary and often make you look ugly. No make-up at all would be a lot better...

I guess so. When make-up starts to become excessive and really hide your natural features it does venture into the realm of fake.

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Women & Make-up - January 9th 2012, 05:33 PM

I never wear any form of makeup, ever. I don't feel the need to. I'm also pretty tomboyish, so that's probably also a contributing factor. :/

The important thing is I don't wear it because I don't want to or feel the need to, because I don't really care what others think. My boyfriend loves me for who I am. I don't need makeup on my face to make him think I'm pretty. He tells me every day that he thinks I'm gorgeous the way I am. I feel like by wearing makeup I'd be trying to look better for others, yet everyone I know thinks I'm fine the way I am, so I don't wear it.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#24 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Women & Make-up - January 9th 2012, 09:50 PM

Like Facebook, if you hate it that much, you're doing it wrong. Simple as that

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
Closed Thread