TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 7th 2012, 09:00 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I read this article in the newspaper this morning. My first thought was to agree with the author's initial thinking (Rhianna left at the end of the video), but Allison Basinger had a great point about 99% of the music video was about sex, drugs, & ownership. Only a few seconds reflected on Rhianna leaving. The rest basically gave ideas to teens about what passions looks like. Also, I thought the mention of Twilight was pretty surprising. I had never thought of it that way.

Give the article a look & let me know what you think.

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index....bdef9d2bbb9eda

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 790119 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 7th 2012, 09:30 PM

I think there's more pro than con. Just my opinion. Sure, it's not encouraging it everywhere - but there definitely are more music videos and TV shows encouraging it than not.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 7th 2012, 09:50 PM

Well I've been saying that about Twilight since the beginning. Every time I go off about Twilight my dad tells me to calm down it's not that big of a deal, it's not hurting anyone. But it really is. The fact that there are millions of young girls out there who crave such an UNHEALTHY and dangerous relationship is scary.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

7 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 7th 2012, 09:57 PM

I'm actually writing a paper on this... I agree, I think there are a ton of things that encourage unhealthy relationships, and it seems that girls, especially, can't recognize the difference between a healthy relationship and an abusive one, just because of all these media influences.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
ChangingTides Offline
Born me, No I can't change
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chance

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 8th 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Well I've been saying that about Twilight since the beginning. Every time I go off about Twilight my dad tells me to calm down it's not that big of a deal, it's not hurting anyone. But it really is. The fact that there are millions of young girls out there who crave such an UNHEALTHY and dangerous relationship is scary.
I agree. It's like every girl at my school is suddenly obsessed with getting a boyfriend, It's pathetic and sad. People see this in music videos, commercials, tv, ect and they think this is what's "cool".
Ever notice how many female fans Chris Brown has? Or fans at all. -_-

If I let you in, you'd just want out.
If I tell you the truth, you'd vie for a lie.
If I spilt my guts, it would make a mess we can't clean up.
If you follow me, you will only get lost.
If you try to get closer, we'll only lose touch

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 8th 2012, 02:04 AM

Twilight especially hit me. I have been seeing a lot of obsessive relationships lately, not so much love. They pointed that out about Twilight & it reminded me too much about people I know. It's ridiculous.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Squidgy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 8th 2012, 03:06 AM

Speaking of twilight

Some girls are making this their goal in life.
  Send a message via MSN to Squidgy Send a message via Skype™ to Squidgy 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 8th 2012, 05:19 AM

I agree with Twilight, and I agree there's a fair amount of this, not always abusive, but definitely unhealthy love promoted in the media, etc.

But I don't agree with the comments about the Rihanna video, because I think the Rihanna video is acknowledgingly depicting a dystopic relationship, without the intent of idealising it. And although it is a dystopic relationship, unhealthy, and reckless, I do want to point out, it does not seem as though he is abusive in that video. It looks like two lost young people went off the rails, did too many drugs, and they crashed. fights started, and shortly the relationship ended. I'll accept its still showing an unhealthy relationship (though 'we found love in a hopeless place'... thats kinda the point... and I've always taken hopless to mean emotionally lost/hurting)... I just had to disagree with the abuse bit. I also think her leaving sends out more of a message than most other music videos.

Though, except in extreme cases, music videos have always been deemed to be family friendly, without censorship or 'watershed' (this is a UK thing, look it up if you don't get it). I think the target audiences of music videos need to be evaluated. Most videos clearly are filled with adult content, and are probably intended for adult consumption, but huge amounts of teens lap them up. We allow films to have adult content, and then blame parents if teens or kids see them, why are music videos by default considered different?

Its also I think important to think about how much influence these things actually have on teens, and how passive they are in watching them. I often think people, including some teenagers themselves, don't give young people enough credit. Sure we have hoards of twihards, and they irritate me as much as everyone else, but they aren't just teenagers. There seem to be plenty of middle aged women who are really into Twilight, and think it's 'so romantic'... and its not like teens have only recently been desperate for relationships from their early teens. And Twilight is only so popular and so big, because this type of love already appealled to a lot of people (well, its certainly not the book quality).... and I think more is going on here than simply modern media.

I sometimes joke about how its broken Disney love the fairy tale Disney love everyone grows up with, quickly becomes clearly a lie, and it leads to this obsession with a broken, but still eternal love, because there clearly are not happily ever afters, so if you are miserable, love can be eternal and romantic I don't actually believe it, but I think it makes sense.

Last edited by Marvin; January 8th 2012 at 05:28 AM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 9th 2012, 10:51 PM

Define "abusive" relationship. I've seen the twilight films, and certainly never was under the impression that there is any abuse in them. I don't really have the time to read the article now.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 9th 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Define "abusive" relationship. I've seen the twilight films, and certainly never was under the impression that there is any abuse in them. I don't really have the time to read the article now.
Oh the Twilight relationship isn't abusive, well maybe emotional abusive. It's just obsessive and completely and totally unhealthy. It's not a relationship that in the real world would end well. In fact it would probably end in murder suicide if one tried to leave the other. Or the complete self destruction of both parties.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 10th 2012, 12:24 AM

I've always found it funny, in a hopeless way, that people still like Chris Brown. The guy's a woman beater, and he's scum. Yet people love him because OMG HE'S SO HOT.

The same kind of goes for Brad Pitt. I don't know about you, but in my circle of friends if someone cheats on their partner, it's seen as a very disrespectful thing to do and that person isn't seen in such a positive light anymore. But no one really seemed to mind what he did to Jennifer, since he's also hot and Angelina Jolie is hot too so they're a hot couple and hotness is all that matters.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 10th 2012, 01:32 AM

I actually thought the Rihanna video was a statement against those kind of relationships. I thought her video was showing how dangerous love can be, and that we can fall in love with the dependence, and that as painful as it may to get out, it's best for ourselves? Maybe I overestimate the intelligence of popstars. Yeah, probably.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 10th 2012, 04:34 AM

The thing with Twilight is is that Edward is a vampire, and vampires are said to have powers to "control" woman. I wouldn't say "control" in the aspect that you're all assuming right now, but every part of them is what a woman wants. This is how they get their "prey" so to speak. Since Edward ultimately doesn't feed off humans, I don't see why Twilight is such a big deal to some but I can see how it portrays an unhealthy, obsessive relationship. That doesn't mean it's abuse and shouldn't be taken as such.

It's true that EVERY video or song Rihanna has made has gotten some ill light, but she's expressing herself the way she feels comfortable doing: Through her music. We all have ways of expressing our feelings, or dealing with a hard thing such as an abusive relationship. Why give her crap about it? It's not fair since we all express ourselves in different ways. Yes, it shows how troubling an abusive relationship is, but there are more things out there that show that than just some music video made by a pop artist.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Does pop culture encourage abusive relationships? - January 10th 2012, 01:37 PM

I generally think it's the parents' job to teach their kids not to take movies literally, and to teach their kids to think for themselves and make up their own mind about things, with some guidance (rather than brainwashing kids into a certain religion for example). IMO that's the best way to go. Creates more diversity, more open minded approach to life, less prejudice, less bullying, healthier culture. People prefer blaming the media. OK, some of the things I see on TV definitely don't help our culture, but blaming Twilight is a bit daft no?

On the other hand, Rihanna walking round in thongs and stuff should in theory be age restricted I think. Some argue such a move would destroy the music industry, personally I think it would create the golden age of music. It would revert music back to what it used to be. It used to be mostly about music. Now it's mostly about celebrity status, money, publicity, sex appeal etc. Making it age restricted, it doesn't in any way constrain their artistic output. It only constrains their audience. They can still do what they want, but it won't be motivated by money through targeting young audiences with raunchy vids.

P.S. I don't dislike Rihanna's music. I sort of like it even. But the vids send the wrong message.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; January 10th 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Closed Thread