TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZoeiGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zoei

God? - July 18th 2012, 01:41 AM

So hi,
I just had some questions and wanted to see what people think and do.

1. Do you believe in a God?
  2. Do you believe in Hell or the Devil?
  3. How do you view God? (What does he/she look like?)
  4. How do you Pray?
  5. Have you have any moments where you KNEW God was there/involved?
  6. What's your favorite worship band/song?

I myself grew up hopping from church to church, mostly UU churches. I felt unwanted in every one. I felt like "The new kid that wouldn't come back." I knew there was a God, and prayed with my family. (My dad grew up UU and my mom Catholic.) But I didn't really have a religion to call my own.
When I was in the 5th or 6th grade my family joined a United Methodist church down the street. My mom made me join the choir and youth group, which I hated her for, and we went every Sunday.
Before and during my time in the hospital for my metal disorders and my experience with a abusive boyfriend after, I lost my faith. I didn't believe in a God nor did I pray. I still went to youth group and choir and loved it. (I now thank my mom for making me join.) But I really only went to see my friends, not to praise or learn about God.
So since then I've been "searching" for God on and off, whenever I really feel moved to. It's hard though, I can't pray because I feel stupid when I do even if I do it in my head, I'm bisexual, I've been hurt so much in my life, and I feel abandoned.
I like listening to worship music, and am starting to feel the presence of God.... I think.
It's all kind of confusing to me.
But I want to try.

I see the world through distorted eyes...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 01:50 AM

1. No.

When I was a child, I used to pray to a God by lying in bed at night and telling God my problems. My God was female and sat behind a large wooden desk. She never changed anything for me and I never asked. I just let her know how I was feeling and she listened.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 04:42 AM

1) Yes. I believe there is a powerful force at work in the world that can be called "God."

I grew up in the christian church. Originally we went to a baptist church. We were very active members, but we lived about twenty miles away, and it was decided that we should find a new church closer to us. After a while we found a bible church and began attending.

In both churches my family was very active. My siblings and I attended sunday school and Awanas (it's a program like the girl scouts/boy scouts of church). My mom and dad were involved in church study groups and my mom was in choir. We really liked it there. That's the church where I accepted Jesus as my savior when I was eight years old and got baptized.

I remained a devout christian, sometimes more so than my family, until I was about twelve. When I was twelve my parents separated. A combination of my own faltering faith, the punishment the church placed on my parents for their divorce (to this day it angers me thinking about it), and my own increasing difficulties growing up made me reject my faith for a long time.

Around the time I turned 17 I was back to speaking with God, but it was much different. I don't go to church. I don't read the Bible. I don't see God the way other christians generally see him. I view other religions, love, tolerance and the world in much different eyes. I don't "feel" like a christian in the sense people mean it. But I do believe in God. I just believe on my own terms.

2) Yes and no. I don't think there is a cave at the core of the earth with pits of molten fire and a cackling red man with a pitch fork mocking their pain. But I do think there is evil in this world, and I do think it can lie inside of people. I think there are people that, when they die, are separated from God, and that that is a true hell.

3) I've always viewed God as a man. I view him as someone fatherly and strong. Some of this, granted, is the image that churches often instill in you of the white, bearded man upstairs. But God has always had a strength I associate with masculinity and paternity. However, as I've grown older God has taken on more feminine aspects as well, especially concerning creativity and nature and creation. For example, I think of God having more feminine aspects when it comes to pregnancy and birth. I think God really has masculine and feminine elements, and I appeal to which one I need most in the light of different situations.

It is my belief that God is what we need him to be. If we need a friend and companion, then God can be that. If we need a mother, than God can be one. For me, God is usually a source of strength, a confidant, and a comfort.

4) I just talk to God. I express gratitude. I pray for good fortune, for assistance. I pray for succor. I pray for forgiveness. I just talk to God. There is no fancy way or method to it. I don't need to be in a church, although sometimes I will go to one because they can be places of power to me. I just speak my mind, and he listens. He protects and and comforts me.

5) Yes. In February of 2011 I overdosed on my medication. By all means I should have died, given how much and what I took, or at least incurred serious physical damage, like kidney damage, liver damage, or irreparable mental damage. They were fully expecting me on dialysis the rest of my life.

I left that hospital without so much as a headache the next day. There have been many moments I have known God exists in my life, but this one is the most clear. Someone could argue, somehow, that that is all a coincidence. I got to the hospital fast enough, I had food in my stomach to stop absorption, the doctors knew what they were doing. But in my heart I know that it was more than that. I could have died any second, just stopped breathing, but I still had life left to live on earth, and though I was miserable at the time, God kept me around for it. So yes, God is very real to me.

6) I don't tend to listen to worship music. But I would have to say my favorite song is probably "Be Thou My Vision" as sung by Ginny Owens. It's a simple song that gives me strength each time I hear it.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...

Last edited by Heathen; July 18th 2012 at 04:57 AM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeiGirl View Post

4. How do you Pray?
1. Yes, but He is kind of my own version based mostly in Christianity with a few exceptions (for example, he is more accepting of us than some Christians would believe)

2. I do believe in Hell and Satan, but only REALLY bad people go to Hell and Satan only exists to run Hell, he isn't responsible for our bad actions and he isn't tempting us or leading us away from God

3. Never really thought about it, I guess I just imagine Him as Jesus or a light or force or something

4. I pray just like I'm talking to a friend or asking for something, for example, "please let this work out" or "Please watch over so and so" "Thank you for allowing such and such to happen the way it did"

5. Absolutely, if I hadn't I probably wouldn't believe in Him. I'm not saying that those moments would prove His existence for anyone else, but they did for me. The strongest presence was when I was in a self-defense class and the master's lectures were absolutely amazing and I felt like God was speaking to me through him and everything I struggled with came up somehow (there's no way the master could've known anything about me) and it seemed like whenever I prayed for help in dealing with something it would be the topic of his next lecture. It was so weird I started wondering where he was getting his material!

6. Don't listen to Christian music because I don't fully agree with the message.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 08:07 AM

Do you believe in a God?
Nope, complete atheist.

Do you believe in Hell or the Devil?
No.

How do you view God? (What does he/she look like?)
Something human beings created.

How do you Pray?
I don't "pray." I will have what I call "positive thoughts" like when a friend of mine is in the hospital, but it's not praying to a god because I don't believe in one.

Have you have any moments where you KNEW God was there/involved?
No. I've had many where I knew he/she/they/it wasn't.

What's your favorite worship band/song?
Flyleaf. Had one of those, religious or not!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 08:13 AM

Yes I do believe in God, most often I refer to Him as Heavenly Father cuz that's what He is

I do believe in the Devil but mostly by his real name, Lucifer. I do not believe hell, it is a figurative place. God loves his children soooo very much and no matter what we do he still loves us perfectly so there is no way he would send any of his children to a place where they would burn and be tortured forever. He will still judge us based upon our works in this life because God is Just and in the end we will end up in the Celestial Kingdom to dwell with God and the rest of our family forever or in the Terrestrial Kingdom or the Telestial Kingdom. Now this may all sound weird but all three are taught in the Bible so I'm not crazy

I view God as my Heavenly Father. I view him in a perfect form because that is what He is We were all created in the Image of Him so there is a part of God in all of us.

I pray in many different ways. In my morning and night prayers I will kneel by my bed and I would like to pray out loud sometimes but I get a little self conscious that someone might here so I tend to whisper or say it in my head. Sometimes if I'm walking to class or out somewhere and I'm really in the need of help or something I will just have a silent prayer in my heart (He hears those too Sometimes I will pray out loud in my car too. Heavenly Father wants to hear from us

I have had many occasions where I knew Heavenly Father had something to do with an outcome but one I'll share is really close to my heart. I'm currently attending college in Idaho and a couple of semesters ago my roommate and a friend of mine wanted to attend a conference down in Utah for our church (it's a huge deal for us) And I had gone the past 3 times (it's held twice a year) but my roommate and friend had never gone before (they had watched in on tv and stuff) and I really wanted them to go so my roommate had called her Stake President from back home to see if we could get tickets (they are free btw) and he said he wasn't sure if he could get any for us then the day before we were going to leave for Utah (we were still going to go and have fun at Temple square and stuff) my roommate got a call saying he got tickets but the problem was that he was in California and wasn't sure if he could get them to us in time, he was going to try and overnight them but they would only be guaranteed to get here by Saturday and we were leaving Friday but we prayed that they would get here in time. We knew the mail came at ten, I checked it at ten and no tickets an hour before we were going to leave a man came to the door and my roommate answered, he asked her if she was Maria and she said yes and handed her an envelope, said "have a good time" and walked away. There was some very very faint writing (like it had been erased or something) on the front of the envelope, not really even able to tell the address hardly but the Tickets we inside!!!! They were the ones that her Stake President had sent! We have no idea who that man was or how he knew that the tickets were inside. We came to the conclusion that God had sent us an angel and an angel delivered those tickets to us because God knew how important it was to us to hear the Prophet speak. I will never forget that day.

I LOVE listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, 360 amazing voices singing together and I've heard them live in the Conference center and they are just amazing, so good and I can really feel the spirit when they sing

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maddiystic Offline
Average Joe

Name: Maddi

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 08:30 AM

I strongly agree with Kate and Melissa (Melwirth).

1. Yes. Hands down, yes.

2. This is trickier for me-- it is what I believe in heaven. I believe those who believe and those who are good (or have good intentions-- My belief is every action matters for the intention behind it.) deserve Heaven, which probably will be very disagreed with. This is what the people closest to me told me; it is what I believe. I can't put my input as to whether Hell is real or not, because I have none. I'll be interested to see as to what others say.

3. God is a being. Someone said he is who you need to be (forgot who on here.) and someone else once said He is different to who looks at Him. I don't have an opinion here; this is one thing I believe I will know when I need to know.

4. I'm not currently (will change!) really with any of the different belief groups, but I did go to a Catholic school (I'm not completely agreeing with catholic beliefs...) so I usually make the cross and say the 'Our Father' before or after I say my own prayers.

5. Yes. This has to be what drove me to be truly with religion. There have been several instances.
-The first being when someone close to me died around 11pm. I finally went to bed at midnight and found I couldn't sleep and felt alone. Then things brightened (not literally; figuratively-things got better.)
-Guiding me to the people I know I should see to help me see.
-Dreams.

6. I don't listen very much.

TC, can I ask you to answer the questions you didn't answer yourself if you can? I'd love to hear what you think.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 12:31 PM

1. Yes.

2. Yes. We all deserve to go there because we are imperfect and sin, but God sent Jesus to take our punishment for us, so anyone who accepts that gift and turns to God will be saved.

3. I don't believe that any human can fully grasp what He looks like until we are in Heaven. I guess there have been those select few people who have seen Him in visions or dreams, but that's extremely rare, and even they usually can't describe what He looks like. It's too amazing to put into words (I've personally never seen Him).

4. I typically pray just like I'm talking to a friend, except with extra respect and humbleness because He's so much greater than me. I tell Him as soon as I need help or want to thank Him or just want to pray and am at a loss for words. I pray very honestly and sometimes just tell Him "I have no idea what to say".

5. Several. Most of the time it's something like my pastor preaching on the exact thing that I'm going through, my bible being randomly opened to a verse that instantly helps me or gives me wisdom, someone else saying exactly what I thought God mightbe showing me, etc.

6. Hillsong United

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeiGirl View Post
So hi,
I just had some questions and wanted to see what people think and do.

4. How do you Pray?
1) It depends how you define god, I suppose, but any generally proposed definition of god, I do not find any reason to believe in.

2) Logically, no. I had no consciousness before life, so why should I after life?

3) I view god as the laws of nature, not to be confused.with pantheism. Though, the laws of nature aren't god, in the traditional sense of the word.

4) I don't. And even if I believed in god, why would I? He just picks and chooses the prayers he answers and answers them randomly to how he pleases. It's kind redundant.

5) How can anyone know if god is involved in anything?

6) none

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: God? - July 18th 2012, 02:24 PM

1. No.
2. No.
3. He's either a dick, he doesn't have the ability to care, or near meaningless in relation to my own life.
4. I don't anymore. But when I did I'd just think have have a conversation.
5. No.
6. I don't have one since I think the lyrics are crappy.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: God? - July 19th 2012, 05:48 AM

1. Yes, with all my heart

2. Also yes. The way I see it, if you don't believe in God, you go to Hell, and the Devil is there to try and tempt us to do bad things. The Devil wants you to go to Hell. He wants to make you suffer forever and ever. When you die, God judges you. If you have received Jesus as your saviour then you go to Heaven, regardless of how 'good' or how 'bad' you were. However, if you didn't receive Jesus as your saviour, you go to Hell. Eternal punishment. Yes God, loves all His children, but we all have a choice to follow Him or not, so He doesn't force us to believe in Him, nor does He force Heaven on us. So technically, to put it bluntly, if you don't receive Jesus as your saviour, you go to Hell. It's all in the choices we make. Free will and all that.

3. To me, God is loving, He is kind, He is just, He is merciful. He loves me when I don't feel worth anything. I don't know what He looks like, and somewhere in the Bible (not sure where) it says that whoever sees God in His true form will die (or something like that). So I don't know what God looks like. But I know what He islike. Yeah, He lets bad stuff happen, but He uses all that crap to make us better people. He never gives us more than He can handle.

4. Well, when I pray, it's pretty much just like the sort of conversation I would have with a friend. Some people start out "Dear God" or "Our Father" but for me, a simple "Hey God" does it. Now, some people think that's weird, but that's how I pray. He's my best friend so I may as well treat Him like it. I pray about anything and everything; nothing's too big or too small for God to handle. Sometimes, I just talk. Not even specifically asking or thanking Him for anything, but I just want to be with Him. When you're best friends with someone, you want to be around them, and praying (or just talking) is one of those ways for me to God.

5. I've had sooo many moments where I know God has been involved in my life.
In September 2010, my city had a 7.1 earthquake. I was sleeping on the floor in my friend's living room with 4 of my other friends. At 4:35am we were all woken up by the ground moving beneath us. I was sleeping right next to a shelf that was in 2 parts. The top part moved out over the bottom half. When the shaking stopped and we migrated to under the table, as soon as I had moved out of my bed, the shelf collapsed right on top of where my head would have been. I really believe that that was God, protecting me.
Also, whenever I worship, or talk to God, I can feel Him there with me. For example, one time, at church, a lady was praying for me and I suddenly could not stand. My legs gave way beneath me and I ended up on the floor. I felt this, I dunno, presence all around me and my legs felt all tingly. It was really cool. God was speaking to me then too. I just know that that was God, right there with me.

6. I love worship music (well, just music in general). I really like MercyMe, Matt Redman (especially Fire and 10,000 Reasons) and Chris Tomlin (White Flag)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: God? - July 19th 2012, 10:08 AM

1. No.
2. No.
3. A human construct common to many religions and faiths that contradict one another. I see no reason to believe in a deity, but as no one can assert that the know they are correct about their view on God, i.e. the argument from inconsistent revelations and lack of any actual evidence.
4. No.
5. You can't, so obviously no.
6. They are nauseating.

One million miles away...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: God? - July 20th 2012, 10:07 PM

Do you believe in a God?
No

No.

Batman and Princess Celestia.

How do you Pray?
I don't.

Yes. I wasn't always an atheist. However, my mind was deceiving me.

Batman theme song.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: God? - July 20th 2012, 10:32 PM

1. Yes I do

2. Yes, as it is part of Christianity and I am a Christian - although I don't really focus on that as part of my religion.

3. I don't really have a 'view' of him, I think it depends on the place I'm in at the time. I definately don't have an image of God in my head (if that makes my sense) but I think it was a film I saw it in, or painting etc, where I got the image of Jesus from, but I have no idea if its right or not.

4. I don't really have a specific way to pray - in my head, out loud, depending where I am or what I'm doing. Anytime of day, when i'm doing anything. Usually I will pray when something bad happens to someone or reminds me of something, when I can't sleep or i'm struggling, when something I want to pray for is coming up - but really I pray about anything, anytime.

5. Yea I've had a few like this, and I've been healed a couple of times which is awesome! I've felt his presence a lot through different things and known He was there, and just little answers to prayer throughout 'average' days show me that He is there and that He cares! Shoot me a PM if you'd like to know more about it.

6. I don't have a specific favourite song I guess, I like a few. Love Jesus Culture, Casting Crowns, Soul Survivor albums - things like that. I know Audrey Assady (think that's her name) is meant to be really good but i've never actually listened to her! If you like, shoot me a message and i'll give you some more that I like

I hope this has made sense, I'm not totally sure if it has and I hope it has helped!

Take care of yourself x

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Cap's girl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassady(or Cass)

Re: God? - July 20th 2012, 11:12 PM

4. How do you Pray?

1. Yes I believe in God.

2. I do believe in Hell and the Devil. All of us deserve to go to hell but God sent Jesus to pay the price, so we wouldn't have to go to hell. And the devil, I don't believe he's some little guy with horns and a pitchfork, but he is real, and he's here to steal, to kill and to destroy.

3. I've never actually seen God with my own two eyes and I don't think we ever will really see God in all his glory until we get to heaven. But when I was younger I always saw him as this kind man with white hair and blue eyes, like a grandpa I guess.

4. Like I'm talking with a friend of mine. I might pray in my head, out loud or write in a journal.

5. Yes, I've had several moments like this. One time in church, pastor was praying and I had my eyes closed and I was just really focused on God and I could just feel him, like wrap his arms around me and I knew everything was going to be okay (:

6. I like Casting Crowns, The Afters, Phillips Craig and Dean, Chris Tomlin and Rush of Fools(those count right?(
  Send a message via Yahoo to Cap's girl  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: God? - July 20th 2012, 11:45 PM

Do you believe in a God?
I do.

No. I don't believe in Hell. I don't know if I believe in the 'Devil'. I do believe that there is something bad out in the world, or maybe it's all just human nature. I honestly don't know.

I don't have a picture view so I'm not really sure. Honestly, I just see Him as God. Simple.

How do you Pray?
I just talk to Him. Usually, I keep my eyes open and just have a conversation like I would with any friend. That's how I was taught to pray.

He's saved me from many traumatic incidents. Whenever I pray, I feel Him in my heart - surrounding me with love.

Jeremy Camp, Britt Nicole, and Kutless. I love Christian rock and contemp.

*I also want to add that I have absolutely no religion. I am not a Christian, Catholic, or anything of that sort. I have a relationship with God and that's all I can say. I'm probably never going to feel comfortable with a structured religion but I truly believe that God wants me to follow Him and believe in Him. That's what I do and that is what I'll continue to do.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: God? - July 21st 2012, 08:34 PM

1. Yes
2. Yes, albeit Hell not being the whole fire-and-brimstone thing popular in medieval times but simply a state of being where God is totally absent. As for the Devil, my view is along the lines of the greatest success of the Devil being convincing us that neither he nor evil exist. Can't remember where it came from, but it's something to think about.
3. I don't believe that God has a visible form, certainly not one that my brain is capable of devising or comprehending. I certainly don't view Him as being a Superman-esque figure (which may explain why I haven't ended up becoming an atheist when times got tough) or anything remotely approaching Greek or Egyptian mythology. I take the view that God takes whatever form is necessary to create and sustain the Universe via the application of physics.
4. With considerable difficulty sometimes, it has to be said, but a mixture of structured prayer and meditation.
5. I've had some moments, such as when I somehow avoided an accident when the brakes failed on my go-kart and to all intents and purposes I should have gone through the barrier backwards. They've been pretty limited though.
6. Don't have one. Sorry.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#18 (permalink)) Old
The.adorable.1 Offline
I'm cool...i think
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Scratch

Re: God? - July 21st 2012, 09:18 PM

I dont believe in God. Im also not really a thinker about religion.
I kinda despise religion, cause some people judge each other of it

It takes more courage to suffer than to die.

I'm here for you, no madder what happens. PM/email me anytime: onlymclarsfan@gmail.com

WE DECIDED MY BEST INTEREST, how can you know, how can you say what MY BEST INTEREST is? What are you trying to say, I'm crazy? Well, I went to your schools, I went to your Churches, I went to your institutional learning facility, so how can you say that I'M crazy? (Suicidal Tendencies)

<3 <3 <3

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: God? - July 21st 2012, 11:55 PM

Yes, I do.

Yes, I do.

3. How do you view God? (What does he/she look like?
There isn't really a specific way that I view Him. I have the classic representation of Jesus in my mind, but I've never really had a visual concept of God in my mind.

4. How do you pray?
I talk to God like I'm talking to a friend. I don't try to find fancy words or the perfect thing to say. I just sit there and say what I'm thinking. I usually try to spend some time praising Him, then I'll pray for whatever it is I need His help with.

5. Have you had any moments where you KNEW God was there/involved?
Yeah, I definitely have.

I absolutely love Flyleaf! I'm a pretty big Chris Tomlin fan too.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#20 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: God? - July 23rd 2012, 06:27 PM

Do you believe in a God?
Yes, I do.

Yes, I do.

Well, I have the way in which the church have pictured him... but I think he is probably more than that ... more of an entity ... that sounds strange ... It is hard to describe really.

How do you Pray?

I tell him everything. I talk to him like I would my closest friend. I let him in on my deepest fears, worries, dreams, hopes, etc. I trust him as best as I can with my life and know that he will lead me to where I need to be. He already is.

Yes.

I don't think I have a favorite, really. Addison Road, JJ Heller, Flyleaf, there are so many.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: God? - July 24th 2012, 04:32 PM

Do you believe in a God?
No.

No.

I think the rest of the answers are pretty clear after that. My family was Christian (nondenominational) when I was a little kid, but we stopped going to church by the time I was eight. The decision was pretty much left up to me. By the time I was thirteen I had read enough of the Bible to settle on being agnostic. Recently I've been leaning more toward atheism. Agnostic, atheist, or agnostic atheist, I can't bring myself to believe in a "benevolent" god that believes in eternally punishing anyone who doesn't believe in him/her/it.

A couple years ago I went to a UU church. Most of the people were nice to me, but I found them to be just as judgmental toward Christian churches as many Christian churches are toward them. I found many of them to treat science as a religion, which I disagree with. So I haven't been back.

Really trying to figure out religion and spirituality for yourself is not easy. Anyone who goes on that journey and stays true to themselves should be proud.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#22 (permalink)) Old
ZoeiGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zoei

Re: God? - July 28th 2012, 12:35 AM

Wow guys!
Thank you all for the response!
For all that are wondering, here are my answers to my own questions.

Do you believe in a God?
At this point, yes. I do.

No. But I believe in temptation and evil.

Mostly I view God as a young man, a tad older than me. Long dirty blond hair, some scruff, and he wears a white robe. I guess this is God. When I feel lonely I feel his presence and can envision him next to me, holding my hand, or hugging me.

How do you Pray?
I don't really. It scares me...

Yes. The first time in a long time was just today. After a week long mission trip where my youth group fixed up an elder lady's house, we had to say goodbye. We had grown close to this lady and would talk to her everyday, all day. At the end of the last day she started crying, telling us how thankful she was and how she really couldn't have done it on her own. I knew God was there in that moment. I wanted to cry too.

I have a whole playlist of praise songs. It varies. Mostly the popular stuff.

I see the world through distorted eyes...

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: God? - July 28th 2012, 06:49 AM

Do you believe in a God?
Yes.

Yes.

Like the guy on the right, and I don't know why, but ever since I've been little that sign has reminded me of how I thought he looked.

How do you Pray?
I don't.

No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfe8t...feature=fvwrel

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Bunny48 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: God? - July 28th 2012, 07:45 AM

Honestly i dont believe in god and no one take this to offense if you bothered to read this. First because of gay people. in my veiw THEY DIDNT CHOOSE TO BE GAY!!! honestly no one would, they WERE BORN THAT WAY. and for people to say thats against god is just complete bull crap. Secondly, my step-dad took nude pics of me when i was in the shower. My mom was molested when she was a kids. My real dad molested my aunt when she was 7 and he was 14. And it wasnt until this guy that love brought up religion (he's a satanist) did i realise that with murders, perverts, rapers, war, shootings, racism, self harm, and all the bad things that happen to people and happen in the world how could there be a person watching over us and supposedly listening to our prayers? honestly if there was such a thing as God then wouldnt this world be a nicer more peaceful place? why would god create these people? so i am currently atheist thinking about maybe picking up satinist like the boy that i love.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
A Lady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ask away!

Re: God? - July 29th 2012, 03:08 AM

[*]Do you believe in a God? Yes, I do.
[*]Do you believe in Hell or the Devil? Yes, both.
[*]How do you view God? (What does he/she look like?) I believe he is spiritual being. As a catholic, I believe in he Holy Trinity.
[*]How do you Pray? I'm a catholic, so I go to Mass, Adoration and read my Bible and other books that can help understand God More. It's usually just a dialogue between God and me, just talking to Him as I would to a friend.
[*]Have you have any moments where you KNEW God was there/involved? Yes, many. I'm starting to realize how much work He has done in my life so far, and how awesome His plan for my life is. Everything, even the hardest times, are starting to make sense.
[*]What's your favorite worship band/song? I love "Taizé", it's so awesome! It's not a song or a band, but a whole new "genre" I believe. It really helps me pray. You can check it our with a quick youtube search.

I hope that your journey towards God leads you to happiness, I know that is what religion has done for me. Good luck!

Differences of habit and language
are nothing at all if our aims are
identical and our hearts are open.

~J.K. Rowling~

"The Beginning," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,
2000, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore

Talk to me anytime, I'm here for you!

Closed Thread