TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 3rd 2013, 01:55 PM

Someone I have on Facebook posted this link along with her own comments about the article and God.

http://m.ipost.christianpost.com/new...istian--10039/

What do you think? I think that is a whole load of bullshit. Yes, the guy does quote several passages from the Bible, but fuck that. Really, that was made at least two millenniums ago. This is the 2000s, homosexuality is no longer considered a sin because if it was... quite a bit of the population of Christians (or non-Christians, rather) would be going to Hell.

Someone who used to have her as a friend on FB (since defriended) said she couldn't tolerate that kind of talk and that love was love, there's nothing more beautiful than that. I totally agree with her, who gives a fuck if someone is homosexual?

But my point is, someone can still be a Christian and be gay or lesbian!

What do y'all think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 3rd 2013, 03:40 PM

this is so stupid, of course someone can be christian and be gay/lesbian. Throwing some bible quotes into your article doesn't make it wrong either.

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Online
I can't get enough

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 3rd 2013, 05:52 PM

Of course someone can be gay or lesbian or any other sexuality and still be Christian. One of my friends is bi and still Christian and I'm asexual and still Christian. I don't think it's a sin either because I believe that God created everyone and loves everyone and sexuality isn't a choice.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bem Offline
Hurricane eyes.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Em

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 3rd 2013, 07:22 PM

Gah. Yes people can/are gay and Christian. If we're taking the Bible literally, most people deserve to die/go to hell for one reason or another.

I'm perfectly normal; it's the rest of the world that's insane.

"He offered her the world."

"She said she had her own."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 3rd 2013, 07:29 PM

Gay Christians are more common than you think, and the allegation is nonsensical.

It's BULLSHIT!

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 3rd 2013, 09:19 PM

Of course the LGBT community can be Christians, should they wish.

Not that Christianity deserves them, after the way it has treated them...

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 4th 2013, 12:11 AM

I'm a Christian, and a lesbian; however, I am NOT biased just because I'm part of the LGBT community. I believe in equality for all & I dislike discrimination of any kind very, very much.

Honestly, this article is crap. There are so many things wrong with this argument, it's not even funny.

1.) Comparing homosexuality to pedophilia and adultery is completely illogical.
2.) You cannot be "saved" from being LGBT.
3.) Sin is classified as a lot of things & homosexuality is not one of them (at least in a lot of eyes - including mine), and it IS an identity/orientation... not just a lifestyle.
4.) Homosexuality is NOT a struggle. The only thing that is a struggle is the discrimination/hate we receive.
5.) You simply do not need to be saved from homosexuality. There is NOTHING wrong with it. God loves you regardless of who you love.

God has saved me from many things (abuse, addiction, depression, etc.), and has blessed me with plenty of amazing things. One of them being my girlfriend who I'm very much in love with. If He thought it was a sin, she'd never of come into my life the way she has.

It's articles like this that poison people's minds/views. If everyone just accepted that love all around is acceptable, this world would be a different place & there'd be absolutely no hate. Or ridiculous articles like this.

/rant over.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 4th 2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael98 View Post

This, times twenty gazillion.

Christians have treated certain groups of people horrifically, the LGBT community being one of them. There's still an idea that to be Christian you have to be straight, and that won't be liberalised anytime soon. There are plenty of Christians who do treat the LGBT community fairly, but they were non-existent for too long, and now it's too late.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 4th 2013, 09:05 AM

I don't regard the question as particularly important. Straight, homophobic Christians cherry-pick the Bible anyway.

One million miles away...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 4th 2013, 01:07 PM

Ummmm,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Robinson

(#11 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 4th 2013, 01:33 PM

Okay
1) You can obviously be a Christian if you are gay.
2) Homosexuality in some cases can be a choice but there are absolutely cases in which it is not. People can be born that way. I am a psychology major and if you look at the homosexual brain and the heterosexual brain there are differences.
3) Homosexuality back in the day was concerning because there were many pedophilic priests out there molesting people. Often times what the Bible says has to be interpreted with its time and with its culture. There are even quotes in the New Testament about marriage after a spouse has passed as some type of adultery. Again, you must interpret the Bible lightly (and consider the time period and the purposes it would be made for in that time)
4) I am Christian and not gay but I have prayed for GLBT people and had those prayers answered so why the hell would GLBT people be sentenced to hell and be sinful for existing if God has left us with the bountiful option of praying for them?
5) I have been thinking about the importance of children a lot. I am still not entirely sure about this but I know that if someone were to pretend to be gay that could probably cause them a lot of trouble if it turned out they weren't and then they missed out on having children. I know my father is strongly against the GLBT community and he feels as though kids are the only thing that should matter and he knows plenty of people who have admitted to him on their death beds that their biggest regret is not having children. Maybe it's a caution to live an honest life? (I in general get annoyed with how much promiscuity, heterosexual hate, and fake gays there can be out there in the GLBT community.)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 4th 2013, 01:39 PM

One more thing. There are gays who have either from pressure from their family or religion decided to become straight and live a heterosexual life and been happy. That's a really powerful thing and I think that's really special if that person truly wanted to make that sacrifice and was emotionally and logically ready to do it. There are reports of these people having enough of a relationship with God to meet the means of the heterosexual lifestyle and have lived very happily over it. However, that is not the only way you can live a life with a homosexual brain. To suggest it is is really rather despairing.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 4th 2013, 09:17 PM

(I am in a hurry and didn't read the link, so only commenting based on what you said it says.)

I see both sides of this. On one hand, the bible absolutely does not change and what was commanded by God any time between when Jesus died and now still applies. Homosexuality is still wrong. However, does that mean that no homosexuals are Christians jus because they do that 1 thing wrong? Well, on one hand, people still sin even after their souls have been saved from sin and they become Christians. But when they do, they are convicted. Hebrews 12 says that people who aren't convicted about their wrongs must be "illegitamate children of God" since if they truly were saved and had the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit would have convicted them. So it depends- are they gay and know it's wrong but just struggle to obey and end up disobeying often? If that is the case, most Christians disobey, so yes they can still be Christians. Or are they maybe new Christians who just haven't heard what the bible says about homosexuality yet? If that is the case, yes, they are still Christians. Or are they denying God's words and still yet calling them self a Christian? If that is the case, there is a good chance they aren't.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Watchtower Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chloe

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 5th 2013, 07:50 PM

Unfortunately, I know several people who would say that, and that's in my own family as well, the ones who say they are Christians. Well, I'm a Christian and I think that is just plain bullshit!

~ Chloe
Feel free to PM me anytime.

My Blog: http://csullivanwatchtower.blogspot.com/
  Send a message via Yahoo to Watchtower  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 6th 2013, 12:20 AM

I say, be whoever you want to be. I bite my tongue from scrunching my face so hard, every time I hear someone saying a person can't be christian if they're anything other than heterosexual. Like you said, love is love. What is heartbreaking is when a person who is gay would start feeling bad, like they sinned and they're not being accepted by their families and tormented about going to hell. Pfft.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 15th 2013, 08:28 PM

Define Christian in this context.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#17 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 16th 2013, 03:21 AM

Gryfindor I am right there with you. I hate knowing there are some devout Catholics or Muslims that will say homosexuality is a sin and this person is going to hell and it is better for them to not even exist. This leads to an overwhelming number of gays killing themselves and that's when I have to tell them "WELL WE ALL NO SUICIDE IS A SIN! SO I'M GLAD YOU PROMOTED THAT ONE!"

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 18th 2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post
I don't regard the question as particularly important. Straight, homophobic Christians cherry-pick the Bible anyway.
Very true. I don't think it's possible to be a gay Christian if you take every word of the Bible as infallible, but not many people do that these days. If they did, there wouldn't be any hope left for eternal life.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 19th 2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael98 View Post

Exactly what I was coming to this thread to say. There are gay christians, women christians, minority christians, but there shouldn't be, as the holy christian bible says such horrible things about them, and the christian community at large, takes that scripture and uses it as a tool to bully others.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#20 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 20th 2013, 07:43 AM

I love how practically no one knows what the Bible actually says.

The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. God does not create sin (He allows it), therefore, He does not create people as homosexuals. That is the devils doing. God doesn't hate homosexuals, He just doesn't approve of their way of life. Then again, judging by all the sin in other people's lives, He probably doesn't approve of their way of life either (mine included, although I try)

I do think that technically people can be Christian and homosexual, but if they truly believe the Bible then they must see some wrong in their lifestyle. It's there in black and white. Simple. However, a lot of other things we're told not to do in the Bible, so I don't see why people make such a big deal out of homosexuals being Christian when it's not such a big deal if you're a self harmer and Christian, or suicidal and Christian, or other things that are considered sins by the Bible.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 20th 2013, 07:52 AM

This is complete bullshit! I believe in God. I believe in the Bible. I'm also very much in love with a beautiful woman. And, even if homosexuality is a sin. Who really cares?? I don't understand how it got blown so out of proportion. The Bible even says that one sin is the same as another in the eyes of God. So, either telling a white lie is just as "horrid" as being gay/lesbian and anyone who lies should be treated with disrespect. Or both of them are forgivable by God and people should shut the fuck up about it and learn to accept people.

/Rant over.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#22 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do you believe this? "No Such Thing as a Gay Christian" - June 21st 2013, 04:53 PM

I have many issues with this article and I doubt I'll address them all. The article itself really ticked me off to be honest. I mean, really, homosexual struggle? I think the main reason people struggle with being gay is because there are people like this who are so damn judgmental and tell them they are going to hell and that they are wrong and what not. No one deserves to feel judged so harshly by others.

It really annoyed me how this person compared homosexuality to pedophilia and adultery. Pedophilia is not CONSENSUAL whereas in a homosexual relationship both people love one another and are choosing to be together. It is about love. They are not HURTING anyone. As for adultery, if you are in a relationship where you have committed to someone and you cheat on them you are making the choice to HURT them by doing that. In my opinion, gay or straight if you cheat it is a bad thing because you are making the active decision to hurt someone.

The bible verses this person threw in weren't all that convincing. It was like they went through the bible with their finger and said 'oh this would be a good one' and typed it in. I mean, you can, in most cases, use bible verses in a lot of different ways to make them fit the point you are trying to get across and that seems to be what this person did. The one verse that they did use was leviticus and they went on to discuss the whole old testament versus new testament but the thing that I don't get is I have been to church and I have had different pastors tell us "We don't practice the old testament' so I don't really understand their stance on this issue.

I'd also like to point out that I've read a few articles (they were online so I don't know how accurate they were) that basically said that since the bible is so old and have been translated a number of time and changed. In fact, the verse or verses that use the word homosexual (I can't remember which one it is there are only six total I believe) used to use effeminate (or at least some of the verses did I am a bit hazy on it because I read the article quite some time ago) and before that it might have been something else. Therefore, in my opinion, it is safe to say that we don't know the true meaning of the word or what point they were trying to get across. I could go deeper into this but then it would turn into a novel.

I know this one will sound really stupid but some of the best people I have met are gay. I just don't feel like God would have put them into my life like he did if he didn't think they were good for me. They have brought me out of my shell and they love me for who I am.

This person talks about how one day he felt something inside of him wake up and he found God. I think that is great for him but I have to say I had a similar experience. I used to struggle with my own faith in God because of how judgmental Christians were towards the gay community and I was not like that all. Well, I did a lot of research and praying and one day I felt something in my heart telling me that being gay is not a sin and I was right for supporting a loving and supporting the people in my life who were gay. Maybe I am wrong but at least I am living my life with some really great people people who I truly believe God placed in my life to help keep me strong and keep me going.

In the end though, I kind of feel bad for this person because they are denying their true identity. They went from accepting it to going back to hiding it for whatever reason and that does wear on a person. I honestly believe that in the end this person is the one who is going to be losing out because they are not being true to themselves so while this article upset me for a number of reasons they are the one who is missing out. We should always be true to ourselves, you know?

Lastly, after my long rant, yes I believe there can be gay Christians I actually know a few. They love Christ and look to him in times of struggle. You sexual orientation does not determine your faith.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread