TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Question Jesus Questions: Part 2 - June 6th 2013, 08:26 PM

So I felt like making this thread again...

Since I know how helpful it would've been to have this when I was a struggling Christian, I'm doing this.
Ask questions about Jesus and I will do my best to answer.

Always double-check my footprints and sources; I do not want to lead any astray. And also, I learned from the last thread, that my opinion is going to poke through these answers; I can't help that. I'll try to provide different ideas and perspectives, if necessary.

Please, no arguments. No heated debates. Don't ask me about Christians...I can't pardon all the things we have done over the centuries; we're people too, so we screw up.
And please don't ask just for the sake of attempting to shake people's faith.
Ask because you want an answer...
So question away.
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Jesus Questions: Part 2 - June 6th 2013, 10:45 PM

I finally am attempting to attend a new Church from the last one which lead to painful endings and hit a burden on me and now I am going to a new one.

I understand Christians don't judge but with everything I've been doing isn't what a faithful person would do in the Christian faith and how many times I know they won't judge in anyway, but I feel they might if I start explaining my story but I don't want to explain my story anymore nor want to be asked. I can't tell them to "screw off" because that isn't me. I also don't want to be judged in any way whatsoever.

As much of being unfaithful and not attending due to what happened with the Church I went to, I don't know how to explain myself and I know I can't.

What if you come across someone who judges? and basically tells you what you should and shouldn't be doing and how to live your life?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Jesus Questions: Part 2 - June 7th 2013, 06:07 AM

I say this with a bitter laugh, but not all Christians follow that "Do not judge..." thing. I myself have issues with this. I try not to, and God has been helping me to get better, but I still break. I'm trying. My judgements are usually mentally; I rarely say them aloud. But I still don't like to do it.
Some Christians will judge you to your face, and tell you, exactly as you just said, they'll tell you how you should live and they may possibly quote some Ten Commandments at ya. I'm sorry; I apologize for them.
But some Christians are very good listeners and love no matter what a person looks like/acts like/reputations/etc. I'd like to be like that eventually. Like how Jesus is. He hung out with tax collectors and peasants and talked to prostitutes, and loved them all. Agh...Have you realized that, in a way, we (the stereotypical, judging Christians) are the modern-day Pharisees?! Agh...
Forgive my rant.

So if you come across someone that judges....My advice would be to be the bigger person. Don't start a fight. Just listen to their speech, maybe you'll learn something, and then take it up with God. He will let you know if you're doing anything wrong.
As for the judging Christian, show them the love...Maybe they'll get the message.

Most Christians won't do the judge-you-to-your-face-thing...Some will, some will do it behind your back, some will do it mentally, and some won't judge you at all.
Don't be afraid to open up to someone. You never know what will happen until you try it. Go for it. If they judge, shrug it off.
I hope you meet one of those Jesus-like Christians.
God bless.
- Collies R Us
PS: PLEASE, pray about this. This post right here is almost entirely my opinion/knowledge. I doubt mortal wisdom, so please seek God's wisdom on this. He can answer much better than I can.
I just...This feels...I don't know. Please ask God. Always ask Him first. Compared to Him, I am not a reliable source.
I don't want to lead you astray.
Hope everything turns out okay. Will you tell me what happens?

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Online
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Jesus Questions: Part 2 - June 10th 2013, 04:35 AM

Ally, I don't mean to be an asshole or cause a debate, but I think that it's important to note a few things before you potentially pursue answering questions that people have.

First and foremost, I'm not sure if you're qualified to answer questions about Jesus. There are people who dedicate most of their time researching the history of religions and interpreting scriptures, etc. We have learned that there are certainly different interpretations and different perspectives on a wide variety of things. It can either pertain to scripture itself, the life of Jesus, etc. I'm not going to jump to conclusions and assume anything, but if you're going to play the part as the researcher who will answer questions by providing resources to back up the answer given, you need to understand that providing a variety of answers is not only necessary but essential. There are some things that are clear-cut and not really arguable, but there's a lot of questions that are open to interpretation and it's not in your power to judge which answer you think is right. The truth of the matter is that people interpret things differently and it doesn't necessarily make them right, but it also doesn't necessarily make it wrong either. Failure to provide all sides of the story or failure to provide different interpretations is exactly what you shouldn't do because every religious person is provided with information and pretty much makes their own decision based on what they feel is right to them.

Secondly, leaving your opinion out of information like that is not that difficult. Last semester I took a religious class and I didn't even know my teacher was Christian till after the class ended...yet I learned about different religions and different perspectives from him like it was just information from any other class like math or science. Of course, you can say things like "which is what I believe" or "I tend to agree with that argument" but you can't claim to answer questions and only provide evidence that supports your belief because what you believe is right may not be right at all. Like I previously mentioned, if you really want to answer questions...you should have extensive knowledge about the subject, and you also have to consider that there are many different perspectives and interpretations on many religious things.

Thirdly, people are who struggling with religion don't always want answers about Jesus, but religion in general. Maybe that's a typo, I don't know. I don't have any questions about Jesus particularly, but I do have a question regarding the Christian perspective...but I won't ask the question until I know that I can ask questions about religion in general instead of just Jesus.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Jesus Questions: Part 2 - June 10th 2013, 07:21 PM

Brandon, thank you. I'm dead serious about that. You just echoed my thoughts and at the same time answered a prayer. I do not qualify in any way to answer these questions. Thank you.
Now how can I get this thread deleted?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Jesus Questions: Part 2 - June 11th 2013, 04:47 PM

Closed at the request of the OP.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread