TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

non-religious praying - June 20th 2013, 02:34 AM

Hey there,
So I was brought up Jewish, but since I started going to a public school in high school I stopped practicing and I've been finally allowed to choose whether I'd like to practice or not. I like to find the good in religion, because I spend so much time thinking about the bad and controlling people part of it. Anyway, I decided that one thing good about this religion (I can only speak for the ones I know) is saying daily prayer, whether it's to be thankful or for asking, or anything else. Praying is something spiritual and I would like to start praying again, but I don't really want to say the hebrew prayers, nor do I want it to be a particular religion. Any ideas?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: non-religious praying - June 20th 2013, 07:48 AM

Personally I don't see any point in praying if you're not praying to anyone/anything in particular.

I mean, what do you expect's gonna happen? There's not really a point to it. Also, how on earth would that even work?

But you could try it. Although then I guess it would just be considered talking to yourself. I really don't know. Seems kinda weird.

Sorry if I sounded rude

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FighterInMe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kavitha

Re: non-religious praying - June 20th 2013, 04:50 PM

Personally, I don't think you have to practice any religion to pray. I believe in God and I do practice Hinduism but I never really pray to a particular God. I am always praying to God. To that force (or power or whatever you wanna call it) which is up there watching us and helping us through our lives. And not according to any particular religion. I hope that made sense and helped at least a little bit.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: non-religious praying - June 20th 2013, 05:11 PM

If praying is something you want/need to do, then do it. It's been proven to be a powerful placebo. However, similar to what the above poster said, yet I'd take it further, ALL prayer is just speaking to yourself. The difference between you and the religious is that you aren't pretending to direct your conversation at anyone or anything.

When you wake up, why not just say, "I'm thankful to be alive another day." I suggest just finding ways to be thankful. It will make you optimistic and it will be just as powerful as prayer, but you're not deceiving yourself or praying to something that isn't there.

I don't think you need to recite any prayers. Just make things up as you go through the day. Be thankful you made it to school, to work, that you're healthy, that you have food to eat, water to drink... etc. Whatever you do, just say, "I'm thankful I get to do this." Whether it's taking a shower, hanging out with friends, whatever. Many people are unfortunate and don't get to experience those things.

Be thankful you have a computer, working eyes, and a mind to comprehend this post. Say it to yourself. Even if you disregard the post, be thankful you have the choice to disregard it.

It might seems obsessive, and it is, I'm not thankful for everything. But you can at least start by being thankful you got a nights rest, and woke up alive. You don't need to pray to be thankful. And it's probably more powerful than prayer.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: non-religious praying - June 23rd 2013, 05:51 PM

thank you guys, I think praying to yourself is similar to mediation, isn't it? I think I should go with that then.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: non-religious praying - June 23rd 2013, 09:57 PM

I do what you're thinking about doing, so you definitely aren't alone or weird.
I'm not sure what I believe in anymore, but I don't pray to a god (or anything, really). If I'm having a particularly bad day, I'll usually just ask for strength. I don't know who I'm asking, but it doesn't matter. When I'm at a really low point, I find that it helps to let everything out. I also find that it's nice to reflect on my life and what I'm thankful for.
I don't think you need to be religious to pray. Either way, it's up to you and what you feel, not what we tell you. If you want to pray in a non-religious way, do so.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Re: non-religious praying - June 24th 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffindor94 View Post
thank you guys, I think praying to yourself is similar to mediation, isn't it? I think I should go with that then.
I had never really thought about praying as meditation, but that makes a lot of sense. And I don't think you need a religion to be able to pray. Personally, I've never been religious, but sometimes I'll find myself thanking the world for certain things, or asking for the strength to get through hard times. It's really vague for me, and it's not directed at a god. It's just something I do occasionally without really thinking. Honestly, just do whatever works for you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: non-religious praying - June 27th 2013, 11:03 PM

thank you all of you,
I admit I felt weird when I first wrote this, but after I read your responses I now think I want to do this. Thank you again for the suggestions :3

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: non-religious praying - June 28th 2013, 06:17 PM

I totally know what you're getting at. I think meditation might be a good route for you to take. It's a way of reflecting on the things that you want to reflect on without having to pray to a specific deity. Prayer is really just a way of asking for guidance or giving thanks for something. You don't need a specific being to be able to do that. Sometimes, it's just more beneficial to actually vocalize it/actively think it than it is just to feel it. There's no reason that it should have to go to anyone or anything.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread