TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 10th 2013, 04:26 AM

I just think it's false to think of Jesus' death as a free gift. It's not free at all. You have to constantly hold yourself to a thought. If it were truly "free" you wouldn't have to do anything to get it. This free gift is in exchange for a belief in evangelical Christianity.

You have to give up your previous belief system. You give up your culture's religious and spiritual beliefs. You give up the holidays of your previous religion or have to observe new holidays. You may be disowned from your family. In some countries you could potentially be heavily persecuted or be killed. In North Korea you could be sent to a concentration camp rivaling that of the Nazi's. Depending on the denomination of Christianity they may want you to be baptized, live by the teachings of Jesus, or try to spread the religion.

It makes Christianity look like they're marketing used-cars and not a religion.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 10th 2013, 01:46 PM

Interesting way to put it, and I totally agree.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 10th 2013, 05:48 PM

Is it really fair to force a Christian to participate in holidays that are not truly Christian in origin? Jesus said nothing about throwing a party for his birthday complete with a decorated pine tree and giving your friends and family gifts. Nor does it say to celebrate his resurrection with a chicken egg hunts. These traditions come from other faiths and other cultures that have been blended over time.

I don’t think we should have to force people into these little religious molds. We are a diverse group of people and we should be able to worship how we please. If someone wants to be a Pagan-Christian (and yes there is such a thing) then so be it! It doesn’t make you a bad person, or a bad Christian, to expand your horizons and believe in something more. It’s also not a bad thing to be purely Christian. We are all different and believe different things. That should be celebrated, not ridiculed.

And no one wants to be more like North Korea…. No one.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 14th 2013, 07:11 AM

The "free gift" concept in Christianity emerged between the 1920s to 1950s. It was a movement to create converts because of the hard times (two world wars) the gospel message was changed. They made it so people didn't have to do anything, because Christianity was having trouble creating converts. People didn't want to be told to surrender everything to god, right after a depression and two world wars.

If you actually read the gospel messages and what Jesus says, there is no "free gift" in Christianity. The idea is that you're salvation cannot be earned by yourself. Christianity teaches that the Holy Spirit empowers you to surrender everything to Jesus, and that all good can only be attributed to god, not human. So, in other words, a Christian would say you didn't give up your prior religious beliefs, because you didn't have the power to, but the Holy Spirit came into you freely to enable you to remove the bondage to those things. And hence is "free."

Again, the "free" message you've probably heard isn't in the Gospels. Just read what Christ commands. I'm not a Christian, but the real Christian message has been distorted by organized religious fanatics to win converts.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 17th 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
The "free gift" concept in Christianity emerged between the 1920s to 1950s. It was a movement to create converts because of the hard times (two world wars) the gospel message was changed. They made it so people didn't have to do anything, because Christianity was having trouble creating converts. People didn't want to be told to surrender everything to god, right after a depression and two world wars.

If you actually read the gospel messages and what Jesus says, there is no "free gift" in Christianity. The idea is that you're salvation cannot be earned by yourself. Christianity teaches that the Holy Spirit empowers you to surrender everything to Jesus, and that all good can only be attributed to god, not human. So, in other words, a Christian would say you didn't give up your prior religious beliefs, because you didn't have the power to, but the Holy Spirit came into you freely to enable you to remove the bondage to those things. And hence is "free."

Again, the "free" message you've probably heard isn't in the Gospels. Just read what Christ commands. I'm not a Christian, but the real Christian message has been distorted by organized religious fanatics to win converts.
It's Christianese. In other words you still have to quit your previous religion.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 18th 2013, 05:24 AM

I've never really thought about it that way but this is an interesting point you give up. But, I guess, the point is that people love Jesus so much that they don't care what 'price' they have to pay because the price he paid to die for our sins is greater than any price we would ever have to pay.

I don't necessarily agree with the concept of people having to convert religions but I won't get into that. All I will say is that faith is a complicated thing and adding people's own interpretations and biases to it makes it even more complicated.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 18th 2013, 05:29 AM

I don't get the entire concept of Jesus's "price". He's God on earth, he knew he was going to die. Even if he did suffer to death, even if he did go to hell for it, he won't and will never suffer the eternity that a human sinner will in hell. Some "price". He had a bad weekend and we're supposed to apologize for it to get into heaven.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 20th 2013, 09:50 PM

Oh no!
A paradox involving Christianity? What a disaster, no-one could possibly believe it if there's a paradox...oh. Wait.

My horrendous and completely disrespectful sarcasm aside, an interesting paradox (admittedly of many) that I hadn't thought of before.

A bit like magazines' free gifts. Can you pull it off the front and walk out of the shop without buying the magazine if the gift itself is free?

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 22nd 2013, 06:57 PM

As a Christian, when I tell people that Jesus' gift of salvation is "free", what I'm saying is that we don't have to do good works to be saved (although we should do them simply out of love for God) and we don't have to be deserving (because we never will be). We also don't have to keep being forgiven over and over again- it is a one time thing. It does require a once and for all decision to die to your old life, this is true. You will still mess up though and don't have to maintain perfect/good actions to be saved. That's what I mean when I tell people the gift is free.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
gochanour2541 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Colby Gochanour

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 23rd 2013, 03:55 PM

I've always wondered about the "free gift", and by what means do you have to get it. In the bible, Jesus states "Only through me can you enter the kingdom of God". So I've always wondered what is knowing Jesus?

can you be the most evil person in the world and still go to heaven just because you believed? It seems like a flawed system.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
theanonymous1 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 24th 2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gochanour2541 View Post
I've always wondered about the "free gift", and by what means do you have to get it. In the bible, Jesus states "Only through me can you enter the kingdom of God". So I've always wondered what is knowing Jesus?

can you be the most evil person in the world and still go to heaven just because you believed? It seems like a flawed system.
I think yes. You can definitely be the most evil person in the world and still go to heaven because you believed. You've probably read it, but when Jesus died on the cross, there were two other crosses. They were complete criminals and probably deserved those deaths. However, one of them, right before he died, confessed his belief and Jesus told him that he'd see him in heaven.

And about the free gift thing, I understand where you're coming from. But then again, I think all you really have to do is believe. Giving up a previous religion shouldn't be something you have to do, but something that you should want to do and should probably come easily. And I don't even think you have to observe all the holidays. Just believe and repent of your sins and whatnot is what I say

(#12 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: The concept of "free gift" in Christianity - July 24th 2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanonymous1 View Post
I think yes. You can definitely be the most evil person in the world and still go to heaven because you believed. You've probably read it, but when Jesus died on the cross, there were two other crosses. They were complete criminals and probably deserved those deaths. However, one of them, right before he died, confessed his belief and Jesus told him that he'd see him in heaven.

And about the free gift thing, I understand where you're coming from. But then again, I think all you really have to do is believe. Giving up a previous religion shouldn't be something you have to do, but something that you should want to do and should probably come easily. And I don't even think you have to observe all the holidays. Just believe and repent of your sins and whatnot is what I say
That's horrible. God ends awful people to heaven just because they believed in Jesus, but the nicest person in the world who doesn't believe in Jesus goes to hell. That's tyranny, not love.

People in Africa will actually practice Christianity or Islam along with their traditional faiths.

Closed Thread