TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: meris

homosexuality and a question :) - September 14th 2013, 11:09 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I know, this is weird ...but umm, i just want to know your view on the topic but also, i want to ask this main question for people who believe in god and such

should someone follow the bible to be considered a christian?

because my friend alex's ...other friend amber said if you don't follow the bible or believe in it, or something. your not a christian.

she said that since the bible condemns homosexual behavior or i guess homosexuals then they should not accept them because if they didn't believe what the bible said, they weren't christian.

do you think that's true? do you think, if you don't believe something in the bible, then your not christian?

she also said in the form as if homosexuality was a choice. she said it was a lifestyle

thanks for answering in advance, i apologize, if this thread offends anyone

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: homosexuality and a question :) - September 14th 2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie36 View Post
I know, this is weird ...but umm, i just want to know your view on the topic but also, i want to ask this main question for people who believe in god and such

because my friend alex's ...other friend amber said if you don't follow the bible or believe in it, or something. your not a christian.

she said that since the bible condemns homosexual behavior or i guess homosexuals then they should not accept them because if they didn't believe what the bible said, they weren't christian.

do you think that's true? do you think, if you don't believe something in the bible, then your not christian?

she also said in the form as if homosexuality was a choice. she said it was a lifestyle

thanks for answering in advance, i apologize, if this thread offends anyone
First of all, you're a Christian if you trust in Jesus, the son of god, to save you from Hell. That's it.

The problem with what your friend is saying comes down to interpretation. It's literally impossible to believe EXACTLY what the bible says. There are over 35,000 Christian denominations which all believe different interpretations of the Bible. So, your friend seems to be one of those Christians that thinks SHE knows the REAL god and the REAL Jesus and understands the REAL interpretation of the Bible. But, I'm sure if she discusses things with people in her church, she would come with contradictions. So, then what? One of those people she contradicts with aren't Christians because they don't believe exactly as she does? Seems really high-minded to me.

Also, has your friend ever lied? Looked at anyone with lust? Disrespected her parents? Been angry at someone? Etc.? Then she shouldn't be considered a Christian, either. She seems really prideful. Almost like a Pharisee in the gospels. Jesus said that those who claim to see are really blind. That is, I take it to mean that if anyone says, "This is the real Christianity, anyone who believes different is wrong," is blind. And that the blind, are the ones who can really see.

Lastly, homosexuality in the bible has been translated that way. Download a program called E-Sword. If you actually look at the words that are translated as "homosexual" you'll find the actual Greek word doesn't actually mean homosexual. The only place it is condemned is in Romans 1 and in Leviticus. And even in Romans 1, it's debatable. Leviticus is also old testament law.

Regardless, I don't really know the answer. But I will tell you this: It depends on how you interpret the Bible. And I'll pose a challenge for your friend. Your friend says, "You have to believe the Bible 100% to be a Christian." Challenge your friend to show you the verse in the Bible that tells you that you have to believe the entire Bible to be considered a Christian. She won't find it. Why? Because that idea came around in the 1500s by Martin Luther. It's not in the Bible. Considering the Bible is what discusses Christ and how to become a Christian, etc. I'd say it's a good idea to follow it, though.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: meris

Re: homosexuality and a question :) - September 15th 2013, 02:00 AM

i will, thank you.

its because ...my friend alex was really close to accepting gays and stuff because ya know, i was giving her my input and stuff and she wanted reassurance, so she asks that friend of hers amber and she said "we can't accept their 'lifestyle'"

and said that if you don't believe homosexuality, is a sin then your not christian because its the word of god or some crap,

Im atheist so im clueless to this but thank you so much for your input

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: homosexuality and a question :) - September 15th 2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
i will, thank you.

its because ...my friend alex was really close to accepting gays and stuff because ya know, i was giving her my input and stuff and she wanted reassurance, so she asks that friend of hers amber and she said "we can't accept their 'lifestyle'"

and said that if you don't believe homosexuality, is a sin then your not christian because its the word of god or some crap,

Im atheist so im clueless to this but thank you so much for your input
I consider myself a weak-atheist, too. I just know a bit about religion to better know what I don't believe. It comes down to interpretation.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: homosexuality and a question :) - September 15th 2013, 06:28 PM

Hi there

It's not weird at all, don't worry! As a Christian I thought I'd add my thoughts, maybe explaining your friends views a little bit.

Quote:

Following the Bible doesn't make you a christian. Being a christian is about having and developing a relationship with the God of love and yes, believing that Jesus died for us all - though we don't believe that purely to get us out of going to hell. Out of the relationship and love a christian has for Jesus and God, comes the want or desire to try and live a life to please Him and get to know Him better - which is where reading and following the Bible comes in.

You can be a christian and not read the Bible, but it is generally a view that the Bible holds advice, encouragement and guidance of how we can live our lives and go through crap times - so it's useful. I was thinking of it the other day, how you know in a magazine they have the agony aunt section? Well for every problem, there is something somewhere in the Bible that can offer help or advice on it, so it's useful for a christian to read. It isn't essential to read the Bible as a Christian, but definitely wise too.

Quote:

The Bible condemns a lot of things, and if those people should not be accepted, there would be no-one in the church. I genuinely mean that. And the Bible does not condemn homosexuals, I want to make that really clear. God condemns a homosexual no more than he condemns me, or my pastor, or my friend who isn't a Christian, or a serial killer. He loves us all so deeply, He condemns nobody. Yes, He gets upset with our sin and angry with our sin, but that is with our sin and not us.

I think more christians are now seeing the act of homosexuality as being a sin (I say the act because I don't mean just having feelings for the same sex, I mean responding to those feelings) and actually, the Bible says that all sin is equal. So in God's eyes, murdering someone is just as bad as telling a little lie. Sleeping with someone of the same sex would be considered the same as raping somebody, which would be considered the same as calling someone a bitch or being horrible to somebody. Everybody sins and christians should accept the person regardless of what sin they may commit, remembering that we are all the same in God's eyes! If somebody in a church turns a person away because they are a homosexual, on that basis, no-one should be in that church. God accepts everyone and we should do the same.

Sorry - God's view on homosexuality is something that has been widely misunderstood by a lot of people and a lot of christians have misrepresented God's views and that breaks His heart and really upsets me! God doesn't hate anyone.

Sorry, I'm aware I've rambled! If you have any questions on what I've said, shoot me a message or reply here

Much love x

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ruben Offline
I can be a SuperMan
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ruben

Re: homosexuality and a question :) - September 16th 2013, 11:51 AM

i see it like this...

you don't need to sit in a Church to be a christian and so you don't need to follow the bible 100% to be a christian.

there is not one that follows the bible 100% even if they try.
there is many mistakes i make that is 100% opposite of what the bible tells me but my faith and believe lies with God. i trust in god and that's what makes me a christian.

the bible is only a book to give guidelines .
  Send a message via Skype™ to ruben 
Closed Thread