TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Philosophy? - December 1st 2013, 02:13 AM

So I'm actually finding myself interested in philosophy. Any suggestions of what I should actually look into or be focused on when I study it? I've looked into a ton of philosophical quotes and I'm falling in love with them. But I want to take it farther than that. Any ideas of what I should do, books I should read, websites I should visit? That'd be helpful.

Thanks,
Rachel

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: Philosophy? - December 1st 2013, 04:11 AM

Frankeinstein by Mary Shelley is as philosophical as it gets in humanist terms.
This novel is perhaps the most influential to me.
There's also The War of the Worlds.
And Lord of the Flies, which is so deep and ridiculous it makes me want to cry. It's alot more boring then Frankenstein and War of the Worlds though.

The Movie, Matrix as well, is very philosophical. This one is more broader then humanist terms, it touches upon existence and the universe.
+ Socrate's allegory of the Cave

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

Last edited by JustACityBoy; December 1st 2013 at 04:31 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Philosophy? - December 1st 2013, 04:52 AM

Try books by:
Carl Rogers, On Becoming a Person, for example
Viktor Frankl
Irvin Yalom

I'm in a master's program for counseling and these are influential people in counseling, but they may be a good place to get started and they won't be too hard to understand like some of the earlier philosophers.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Philosophy? - December 3rd 2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by better-than-ecstasy View Post
So I'm actually finding myself interested in philosophy. Any suggestions of what I should actually look into or be focused on when I study it? I've looked into a ton of philosophical quotes and I'm falling in love with them. But I want to take it farther than that. Any ideas of what I should do, books I should read, websites I should visit? That'd be helpful.

Thanks,
Rachel
I would read any short introduction to philosophy. Philosophy quotes are interesting, but I think you may find reading actual philosophical works rather dull. That is, when philosophers rant about a given topic. They are also VERY difficult to understand. They are by no means "easy reads."

As far as philosophers, Plato and Aristotle are musts.

My personal favorites are Soren Kierkegaard and Friedrich Nietzsche. Voltaire is also good.

I'd recommend staying away from debates over deities, like Nietzsche gets into. Stick more to the existentialist aspects of Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.

Camus has a really entertaining novella called "The Stranger." You could pick that up and read it once you understand the basic idea of existentialism. There's perhaps no better book that dives into existentialism and the philosophy of absurdism. It's legitimately entertaining, too.

Anyway, I would highly recommend anything to deal with existentialism. I feel it's a must for everyone interested in philosophy. However, I wouldn't skip Plato for anything. How can you skip the musings of Socrates?

I recommend existentialism because it reveals how relative human existence is. It teaches you to empathize with others. It helps you understand that things are gray, not black and white. It helps you find your identity, sort of.

http://www2.webster.edu/~corbetre/ph...sm/whatis.html

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Philosophy? - December 3rd 2013, 03:23 PM

If you had a particular topic in mind, that might be helpful to guide you in a particular direction. Philosophy can pretty much encompass most topics, so if you have a particular one in mind, like ethics, war, human rights, etc. we could probably pinpoint some authors for you. : )

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Philosophy? - December 5th 2013, 04:22 AM

I'll throw Bertrand Russell into the mix, just for fun.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread