TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Religious Indoctrination/Therapy - August 3rd 2014, 07:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi everyone, I hope you're all having a super day!

I've labelled this as triggering just to be on the safe side since the topic does verge on abuse and I don't know what the responses will be like.

Lately I've been really interested in religion from a psychological perspective. Seeing kids as young as 5 being so passionate and feel so strongly about their religion that they're crying over how powerful their beliefs are was interesting but slightly... I don't want to say disturbing, but I found it unusual to see children that young be so strong in religion, if that makes sense.
I've also been interested in these 'camps' that people send their kids off to to be 'cured' because they're acting out or have (gasp!) come out. The people in these camps can be cruel and abusive at points and seem to think that if these kids just accept God, they will be cured of everything and their lives will be complete.

What do you all think about this? I'm genuinely curious to hear both sides so if your beliefs are strong like how I've tried to explain please don't be afraid to reply!

Also, does anyone know of any other documentaries I can watch on these topics? The two that sparked my interest (that I have watched this week) were Jesus Camp (info) and Kidnapped for Christ (info). The whole topic fascinates the hell out of me so I'd love to watch more documentaries on it, but Google hasn't really been bringing much up when I've been searching so if you know of any others please do let me know.

First serial killers, now extreme religion. My mother hopes that one day my interests in psychology will be 'normal'.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Religious Indoctrination/Therapy - August 3rd 2014, 07:36 PM

As a future counselor, something I have to reconcile is the fact that there are people out there who believe that "finding God" or turning to Jesus will "cure" them of being gay when we have scientific proof that it's NOT possible. If it helps, so-called "conversion or anti-gay therapy" is considered entirely UNETHICAL by all helping professions. I can virtually guarantee that I will get a client or parent that will believe this at some point and I'll be the first to tell you that it will be really difficult for me.

I think parents have the right to raise their kids with whatever beliefs they want to, provided it's not to harm people. When I see young kids that passionate though, I attribute it more to parenting than the kids actually believing it. I think they will develop their own beliefs when they're older, but I think they're too young to really understand what they're saying.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: Religious Indoctrination/Therapy - August 14th 2014, 10:05 AM

It kinda makes me sad that there are people out there that think like this, but that's ok, because I know that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and viewpoints and I know that what I say will not change anyone's view on anything. Keep that in mind when I say what I am going to say.

I have been a leader/helper on kids camps like this - from little 5 year olds to 18 year olds displaying their passion. Quite a lot of this is the atmosphere of camps. Unfortunately stuff like this doesn't happen very often anywhere else - and who knows, the world might even be a better place if it did. Where there's a group of people, the Holy Spirit shows up big time and that's where you get the strange "disturbing" passion from. Yeah, those kids would have been sent their by their parents, but if the kid doesn't want the Holy Spirit to enter into them then He won't (and I will admit, at 5 kids don't really know what they want, but hey, they're experiencing God's presence, and they learn what they want pretty quickly). I'll admit we probably do look a bit weird to people who don't follow God, but that's ok, we weren't called to be normal haha

In regards to those camps that parents send their kids on to be "cured", I'm still trying to figure out what I think on this, but I'll try and put it into words. From what I know about God He can do anything and everything, and so if He wanted to heal someone of a mental illness or homosexuality then He can. He healed me of depression, self harm and extreme social anxiety (I know without a doubt it was God), and while I still make slip back into thinking about those things I am not bound by them any more. And I can think of so many other testimonies even better than this. I don't think it's up to the parents to decide if the kids needs to get "healed" or not though - I mean, God's only gonna do something in their life if they want Him to, not if someone else made them. I mean, you can't help someone who doesn't want help, so it's the same with God - He doesn't force Himself on us, He only helps us if we want it.

Quickly, as to "healing" those who are homosexual or whatever, you can probably guess that I think that homosexuality is a sin, based on what it says in the Bible about sexual relationships being between a man and woman. I believe that God can take away sin from our lives, and so I believe that if a homosexual wanted God to take away their feelings towards their same gender then I believe that God would, but I don't believe it's right to try and force someone to "get healed". That isn't what Jesus would have done.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe

Name: --

Re: Religious Indoctrination/Therapy - August 16th 2014, 02:59 PM

This is just indoctrination and ritualistic-induced hysteria. Scares and incites anger inside of me. But damn things got impressionable when they 'cleansed' themselves with the NESTLE spring water. The minds of children can be moulded easily, which is why the parents shouldn't of brought them to the camp in the first place - they are narrowing down these kids so much that they are calcified by the scrupulosity.

Last edited by Eternal; August 16th 2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Inappropriate content- please don't talk about illegal drugs you've taken.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Religious Indoctrination/Therapy - August 17th 2014, 07:57 PM

Any child under the age of about 14 (or so) doesn't have the mental capacity for fully understanding abstract concepts. That is just basic child development. A child's world is very black and white, a right and a wrong. To me these camps are in a way brainwashing childern to think that their belief is right and everything else is wrong. In my opinion that isn't fair to the child and very manipulative of the adults.

Now if a teenager wishes to attend these camps that is a different story. As they start to gain the mental capacity needed to make their own judgments about religion. But telling a child that a particular religion is the "right" religion is inappropriate. They can't reason the way teenagers or adults do.

Now don't get me wrong, I think children should be introduced to the idea of different beliefs. But I do not think they should be told that one is more correct than the other. That is a discussion for when the child enters puberty.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread