TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 02:53 AM

Which one do you believe and why?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 03:35 AM

Evolution.
Without getting into a long-winded thing, because science. Because a lot of things in creationism don't match up with what science has proven.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 06:02 AM

The one that scientific evidence supports: evolution. In both of my degrees, I've chosen to specify a lot of my research and classes in evolution, taking a large amount of evolutionary anthropology and psychology classes. As Bill Nye and other scientists say, if and when evidence supports otherwise, I'd change my mind. Science doesn't rely on faith; it relies on data.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 05:19 PM

This question reminds me of the movie 'Gods Not Dead'. A teacher and a student have a debate on Creationism vs Evolution. I found it very interesting. If you have some spare time I suggest it.

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am. -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 05:35 PM

Evolution. You can see it at work with dogs. Think about all the breeds of dogs we have, we as humans have purposely made them evolve that way.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 07:34 PM

Evolution...possibly aided in some way by outside intelligence...but the second part is just a hypothesis.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 07:39 PM

Evolution. I am a Christian and don't buy into all that creationism stuff. I don't take thing in the Old Testament literally.

Science simply does not support creationism. Evolution is not only supported by scientific evidence- it is an inevitable result of natural selection. Natural selection will always work to ensure that, in the long term, only the fit and well adapted variations survive - resulting in gradual changes and eventually speciation.

Creationists use fallacious arguments such that "the second of law thermodynamics prevents any species from gaining beneficial traits in the long term - because mutations usually lead to bad traits".They use the "tornado in a junkyard fallacy" - saying that its just as unlikely that a tornado in a junkyard could randomly assemble a 747, as it would be for random mutations to lead to functional intelligent species. While its true that mutations are usually not beneficial - this does not matter because natural selection ensures that harmful traits are weeded out. These creationists do not understand that there IS a selection process occurring - so that evolution is not a "random process".

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 26th 2015, 08:19 PM

Neither....I want to leave it as I'm uncertain. Because nothing can really be proven. Even in science we are told studies suggest or evidence have shown. But that's not proof. That's making conclusions based on a set of evidence and then some trust that scientists got it right.
And the creation story of Adam and eve is like I appreciate it as part of human thought but no I don't think it happened. Nor do I think mythology stories happened. That doesn't mean fiction is false. There are some things I do believe are real.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 27th 2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete Love. View Post
This question reminds me of the movie 'Gods Not Dead'. A teacher and a student have a debate on Creationism vs Evolution. I found it very interesting. If you have some spare time I suggest it.
Really? That was clearly a movie intended to promote Fundamentalist Christianity.

I personally think that the best answer we've currently got is the theory of evolution. It's pretty damn good as far as I can see. I'd challenge anyone to come up with evidence which discredits the theory. There's a Nobel Prize in it for you.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 27th 2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam the Fish View Post

Really? That was clearly a movie intended to promote Fundamentalist Christianity.
Really. The original question was Evolution or Christianity which one do you believe and why. I believe in God (Christianity) and I think this movie describes why in a beautiful way.

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am. -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 27th 2015, 09:19 PM

Evolution but perhaps started by God...well, I believe in God but also evolution

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I cant help, Im always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 27th 2015, 10:21 PM

Evolution. Yesterday, my caterpie evolved into a metapod. It changed my whole perspective on religion.
Evolution is literally happening as we speak. Bacteria constantly evolves to deal with harsh conditions. But anyway, Creationism can't be proven, and there is no concrete evidence to support it unless you count the Bible. I believe that God and evolution go hand-in-hand. If He can create a multiverse, he can create an ingenious way for various species to adapt and change according to their environments and needs.
In the book "The Shack", the main character literally speaks to God and asks Him if the Adam and Eve story is true. God said yes, and the book was a true story according to the author. If I recall correctly, I almost put down the book despite believing it up until then and loving the hell out of it (Its a great book). Maybe there was some scenario where the Adam and Eve story did occur, like along the line, some apes had children and God intervened with their reproductive process to start a whole new species (humans) that He would choose to be His greatest creation for Earth.
I believe He started the Big Bang... I think its the first law of thermodynamics that says something cant be created from nothing, which brings the question of how the first atom (that started the Big Bang) came to be. I don't think it got there itself, but God (a figure from another dimension) put the atom there and triggered the process Himself. Some scientists (not just quack scientists either) believe that other dimensions exist, and while we can't interact with them (except the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd dimensions) as of yet, theoretical beings from higher dimensions could interact with us. So, when I hear an actual ghost story, I don't dismiss it immediately; maybe the spirit actually exists.
Back to my first point... no evolution, no Charizard.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 27th 2015, 11:57 PM

I used to believe Creationism as it was how it was raised. After I got to college, I took a Biology class that had specific lectures for evolution. I now believe Evolution. Much of what I was told about Evolution came from Creationists and I now realize that what they were saying didn't even begin to resemble how evolution actually works.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 28th 2015, 03:13 AM

I am actually taking a class this semester where we will be talking about evolution. From what I have learned about it I believe in evolution. It seems like the most probable answer.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 28th 2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Why don't you summarize it for us, since many of us are really not interested in watching the movie.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 28th 2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Really. The original question was Evolution or Christianity which one do you believe and why. I believe in God (Christianity) and I think this movie describes why in a beautiful way.
Yes, really. Its strawman atheists are basically the equivalent of intellectual blackface.
The movie is disgusting and is propaganda targeted toward the lowest common denominator.

One million miles away...

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 29th 2015, 07:05 AM

I was raised to believe in Creationism. However, I took a biology class in high school and the teacher went into great detail about evolution. A lot of theory's with Creationism don't match up with what has been proven. I have to believe in what science and the evidence proves which is Evolution.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Creationism vs Evolution? - January 30th 2015, 12:57 AM

I saw the part where the kid argues with the professor, and the kids like, "how do you hate God if He doesn't exist?" and the professor breaks down and says something like "God abandoned me" or something and leaves. Yeah, that's realistic. Thats how an argument with a philosophy professor goes down in real life.
I consider myself a both a (somewhat) religious and spiritual person; but to me, its complete foolishness to deny a scientific argument that's pretty much bulletproof compared to your own. Even my own mom, who is EXTREMELY religious, believes in evolution (I think).

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread