TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dan11 Offline
Not a n00b

Paranoid about this:( - May 7th 2015, 03:58 PM

Hi everyone, I am kinda worried and paranoid recently. I've done some horrible things in my past but I repented about a year and a half ago and am trying to live the best I can. There are some encouraging bible verses that say to leave your past behind you and that if you confess your sins to God he will be righteous to forgive you. There is a saying that the devil can quote the Bible. Which means that a bad person can quote the Bible to his advantage. I'm worried that Im a terrible person and that them Bible verses and similar ones are not directed at me but I interpret it at so Help would be really appreciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Paint Offline
ετεɾṉαl ɾεṡτ
Average Joe

Re: Paranoid about this:( - May 8th 2015, 03:13 PM

Hey there!

As a new Christian, I struggle with this a lot too. And before anything, I want to say that from what I know, God will never, ever bring guilt. Guilt is from the devil, conviction is from God. The difference is is that guilt makes you feel bad about yourself - it makes you feel like God hates you or is mad at you. Conviction makes you realize that you did something wrong, but it gives you the peace that God can forgive you and make something beautiful out of your situation. That's how you can distinguish - if reading a Bible verse instills fear into you, then it is likely Satan trying to throw you away from God. Remember to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus! If you ask Him for forgiveness, He is faithful in forgiving our sins.

Jesus is so amazing because not only does He forgive our sins, but he "forgets" them. He treats you like you never committed them, and He is faithful in just moving forward as long as you've confessed. I once was told me that by not forgiving yourself after asking God for forgiveness, you're saying you have more power over God! So I would say try to rest in the fact that Jesus has forgiven you if you've asked Him to and that He wants you to forgive yourself.

If you'd like to send me a private message and dive further into this, I'd love to talk to you about it and send you some encouraging Bible verses! We can swap testimonies too.

Much love, God bless, and praying for you!,
Misty

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Paranoid about this:( - May 10th 2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan11 View Post
Hi everyone, I am kinda worried and paranoid recently. I've done some horrible things in my past but I repented about a year and a half ago and am trying to live the best I can. There are some encouraging bible verses that say to leave your past behind you and that if you confess your sins to God he will be righteous to forgive you. There is a saying that the devil can quote the Bible. Which means that a bad person can quote the Bible to his advantage. I'm worried that Im a terrible person and that them Bible verses and similar ones are not directed at me but I interpret it at so Help would be really appreciated
Dan, as I've aforementioned, I strongly recommend seeking it out yourself. If you must listen to a preacher, I cannot recommend Don Fortner enough.

It sounds to me like you were exposed to a version of lordship salvation, this idea that you have to repent from all your sins and make Jesus "Lord of your life" to be saved. I truly find this idea contrary to the history of Christianity, but of course, I am not a scholar.

I had this notion in my head, like you, that I was a terrible person, etc. and that God wouldn't save me because I didn't fully repent, or maybe there was some lurking evil in me that would damn me to Hell.

However, read the Gospel. The Gospels literally say we are all incredibly. In fact, it presents this idea that we are so depraved that we cannot repent on our own, nor can we have faith in God on our own. Thus, since we are incapable, God sent Jesus to be a propitiation for our sins.

It seems to me like you are so focused on wondering IF you are evil, or IF you have the right kind of faith, or IF you truly repented of all sin. The Gospel, however says, you have no faith, you cannot repent, and you are utterly evil. That's why your only hope is Jesus's redeeming blood.

It's not dependent on you being good, it's not dependent on your faith, and it's not dependent on your repentance. It's dependent on whether or not Jesus is sufficient enough to save you from your sins.

In other words, it seems your making the saving agent your goodness, your faith, and your repentance. Even the start of your posts you always say, "I've repented." To paraphrase, you always say something along those lines. I think the question is really, IS Jesus sufficient? Is He? Or is he not sufficient enough to save you because you are this evil person?

Read This: http://www.donfortner.com/sermon_not...ine%201300.htm

Go Here and listen to "Wretched but not condemned":
http://www.all-of-grace.net/RealAudi...tner_audio.htm

The problem I had when I was religious that I was always trying to base my walk with God on something that I've done. Well, what I did is always shaky. I'd sin. Pray for forgiveness, sin more, pray again, and so forth. And wondered, "Am I REALLY a Christian?" This was when I realized that it's not based on me, but on God. Even Jesus accused the disciples of having no faith (Mark 4:40). Who are you to think you're better than they?

Something that has stuck with me, even though I don't ascribe to religion anymore was something that this guy named Aaron Weiss told me. He said that the only time we ever experience the faith and love of God is when we admit that we are faithless, and reconcile that only God is faithful. Then it is no longer dependent on you being faithful to God, but rather God being faithful to his promises.

Look, David peeped on Bathsheba while she was showering, and lusted after her, wanted her. So bad that he ended up taking her. The want was so overwhelming that he ended up killing her husband. Yet God said that David was man after his own heart. Look at Saul/Paul, he slaughtered, and murdered Christians, and then became an apostle. Your faithfulness isn't what matters. It's God's faithfulness to keep His promise in Christ. That's what you need to find sufficient enough.

Closed Thread