TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

"Silly old woman!" - June 16th 2015, 01:34 PM

Hi Everyone!

I hope you're OK.

There was a story that my grandfather told me.
A story that I never forgot.
An old lady was sitting on her back porch steps.
She was alone. And she was praying.
Two boys - on their way to school - saw this woman through a hole in the fence.
They stopped to listen.
"Dear God. I am so hungry. Would you please bless me with some food. Anything at all."
One boy laughed and said, "Silly old woman!"
One their way back home - they saw the old woman again.
"Let's play a trick on her. Let's make a fool of her!" One of the boys said.
So the next day - on their way to school - they brought along a loaf of bread.
Sure enough - the old woman was on her porch and praying.
And when she got to the part of her prayer where she asked God for food - they threw the bread over the fence.
It landed at her feet.
She praised and thanked God.
The boys laughed hysterically and ran to school.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: "Silly old woman!" - June 22nd 2015, 10:13 PM

Hello!

I'm curious.

Do any of you know what the 'moral' of the story is? What it's trying to tell you?!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: "Silly old woman!" - June 23rd 2015, 01:51 AM

God works in mysterious ways? Not a message I see often on this site, but I'll take it.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: "Silly old woman!" - June 24th 2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
God works in mysterious ways? Not a message I see often on this site, but I'll take it.
Hi Robert!

I hope life is treating you well.

YES!! You are exactly right!

The funny thing is - most people limit what God can do by what they are able to imagine Him doing. But God is not limited by our limitations. And God can use ANYONE - whether they believe in Him or not - to answer a prayer. [Or to play some part in that answer]

Another story that I really like is about a flood. You may have heard it already - but here it is anyway. It's one of my favourites.

"It had been raining for days and days, and a terrible flood had come over the land. The waters rose so high that one man was forced to climb onto the roof of his house.

As the waters rose higher and higher, a man in a rowboat appeared, and told him to get in. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the man in the rowboat went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters rose higher and higher, and suddenly a speedboat appeared. "Climb in!" shouted a man in the boat. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the man in the speedboat went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters continued to rise. A helicopter appeared and over the loudspeaker, the pilot announced he would lower a rope to the man on the roof. "No," replied the man on the roof. "I have faith in the Lord; the Lord will save me." So the helicopter went away. The man on the roof prayed for God to save him.

The waters rose higher and higher, and eventually they rose so high that the man on the roof was washed away, and alas, the poor man drowned.

Upon arriving in heaven, the man marched straight over to God. "Heavenly Father," he said, "I had faith in you, I prayed to you to save me, and yet you did nothing. Why?" God gave him a puzzled look, and replied "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Craig!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: "Silly old woman!" - July 3rd 2015, 06:08 AM

I've heard the second story somewhere and I always enjoyed the moral of that story or what I interpret it to be. The first story was interesting as well but I have never heard it before.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: "Silly old woman!" - July 3rd 2015, 09:52 PM

I have one, as well.

There was a man who owned a ranch, with cattle, and a horse. He also had a son.
One day, his neighbor comes over, and says, "Look at this beautiful ranch! It's wonderful! Your horse is astounding!!"
The man says, "Who knows what's good and what's bad?"

The next day, the neighbor comes over and notices the horse is missing he inquires about it and finds out the horse ran away. He says, "This is awful! Your horse ran away! It was so beautiful, what a sad thing."
The owner of the ranch says, "Who knows what's good and what's bad?"

The next day, the neighbor comes and sees the horse is back. He is excited and says, "This is wonderful! Your horse has returned!!"
The owner responds, "Who knows what's good and what's bad?"

The next day, the neighbor sees the ranchers son broke his leg. He asks what happens, and finds out he fell off the horse. He exclaims, "This is terrible! Terrible! Your sons leg!"
The rancher says, "Who knows what's good and what's bad?"

The next day, the military comes to the ranch enlisting all the men of fighting age to go off to war and presumably be killed. The rancher's son is spared because of his broken leg. The neighbor finds out, and says his son was lucky.

The rancher responds, "Who know's what's good and what's bad?"

A person I esteemed as being godly without religion once told me this story. The idea of it seems pretty clear. We shouldn't become preoccupied in judging situations because we never know what's good and what's bad. Something with the appearance of evil, may actually be a blessing in disguise.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: "Silly old woman!" - July 8th 2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursive View Post
I have one, as well.

There was a man who owned a ranch.....

Something with the appearance of evil, may actually be a blessing in disguise.
Hi Micheal!

Thanks for adding something great to this thread.

Craig!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
jamdoughnut Offline
my other ride's a rainicorn
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jam

Re: "Silly old woman!" - July 20th 2015, 06:25 AM

These are great! Anymlre stories/parables?

Closed Thread