TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
kamiyah Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
kamiyah's Avatar
 
Name: kamiyah powell
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Location: NY

Posts: 5
Join Date: August 6th 2015

why do you people believe in god? - August 10th 2015, 08:11 PM

The answer is fear... period. This fear stops us from using our logic and common sense to really see what is what.How many of you christians were told that your going to go to hell if you dont believe in "god" when you were younger?Thats when the fear of hell krept in right? So you then started to believe in god and call yourself a christian.Then you go on threatening other innocent people with the same threat you were told.You honestly dont know why you believe in god.your just afraid of the threat that was told to you.But if you were to break free for a second and ask yourself,and do real reasearch,you would be suprised to learn that none of this crap actually exists.God is not real,neither is satan.Its all just one big fairytale ment to scare and control you.Do yourself a favor,and dont let that happen
   
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1199973 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 11th 2015, 12:22 AM

Well, I believe in God, but not hell. So I wouldn't say that fear is my motivator.

I believe because it feels right to me, not because I was told to do so (and I wasn't told to believe, my family has no religion). There is no proof that God exists, no, but there is also no proof that God doesn't exist. So in the end, you just have to do what feels right in your heart. If you feel like there truly isn't a higher being, that is completely OK. You need to be true to yourself.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Celyn's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Wales

Posts: 5,415
Blog Entries: 151
Join Date: June 16th 2009

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 11th 2015, 08:27 PM

I believe in God, but I don't call myself Christian. And I actually believe the opposite. For me, I don't believe in God out of fear (even though I do believe in Hell) but out of hope. I find the idea of Heaven to be of comfort when loved ones have passed away. I definitely don't threaten others or even preach what I believe....and I'm actually a mixed basket seeing as I believe in the evolution theory


HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 11th 2015, 10:50 PM

I believe in hell as a place you choose to go, and also a place designed for people like Hitler who truly don't deserve another chance. So... the population is probably far lower than the average Christian would think, if I'm right. To me, hell isn't for Atheists, gays, Muslims, or anyone else that the more shortsighted, naive Christians say are horrible sinners. To me, the best people (not just the best Christians) go to heaven; nearly everyone else goes to purgatory to purify for heaven, and the truly evil go to hell, unless they were mentally disturbed and really had no chance to be good during life. I've never been afraid of hell, and I never will be.
One of the reasons I believe in God is because there is no way possible to prove He doesn't exist (there really can't ever be if you believe He is above all Earthly technology),
At 13, I believe you really shouldn't define yourself as anything in terms of religion and beliefs. I don't say that to condescend, but I say that simply because you have limited life experience. I believed some silly things when I was that age (probably the most extreme example: condoms are the root of all of America's problems. Commence eyerolls and sporadic laughter). As the Buddha (I'm fairly certain it was him) said, "A self-defined is a self-confined". What that means is that if you define yourself as anything, you'll never learn anything past what you've limited yourself to. I actually said in another thread that human eyes and ears pick up only a fraction of whats actually in the world, so convincing yourself of the impossibility of certain things like God, spirits, and other supernatural phenomena would be naive.


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Disclosure.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 5,425
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: October 9th 2009

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 12th 2015, 04:50 AM

I believe in God because like Lizzie it feels right to me and I feel that heaven is a source of comfort for those that have passed away as well. My family are all Catholics but I'm not forced into believing in God or attending Church.


   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
jamdoughnut Offline
my other ride's a rainicorn
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
jamdoughnut's Avatar
 
Name: Jam
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Location: The Nightosphere

Posts: 241
Join Date: June 17th 2015

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 12th 2015, 06:37 AM

Yeah no thats not right at all. Why would you even say something like that? I believe in god because ive come to know him as the one true god, not by anybody forcing me/scaring me into believeing that, but by me coming to the realization myself. I have experienced true happiness, true joy,and even sorrow and healing through him.but mlstly, ive felt his love.and thinking LOGICALLY,how could you both love and fear something? Yes, Christians do fear god, but its not the same "fear" your speaking of. We fear him because we know that he is mighty and powerful, and we revere that. And we love god, more thsn anything or anyone else. And it feels right, to know that you are loved, more than you could ever imagine, that you actually matter to someone. Someone you have faith in, someone who loves you, someone who gives you hope. If it werent for him and for my faith, i wouldnt be here right now. I would have killed myself a while ago. If it werent for him, i wouldnt have had any hope whatsoever. Whats the point in living otherwise?

And honestly, i am so sorry for you. You obviously have no faith in anything, so youll never get to feel that joy, or that healing. Youll never feel that kind of hope, or love that consumes you. Im so sorry you cant see what i see.

No, its not just some fairytale. You cant say that christianity hasnt been proven, because it in fact has. The dead sea scrolls, and other outside documents confiming the words in the bible to be true (sorry im too tired to actually pull them up for you, but theyre there, look them up) you believe that science is the truth, when there is so much more that you have made yourself blind to. So much more that has been proven time and time again but you refuse to believe because your too afraid to have faith in something you cant see, something you cant touch.

so i ask you, why dont "you people"believe? My hope comes from my god, where does your hope come from?


I know you are looking for a sea that lies beyond your reach
But im hoping my heart can stop you before you reach the beach
I know you have places to go
I know that you want the sea
But im hoping my heart will grow and that you'll
come back to me.....
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Just me

Posts: 16,322
Blog Entries: 1722
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 13th 2015, 04:08 AM

I believe in god because it feels right. I've struggled with religion for a number of years but I always came back to believing in God. I don't think fear is a big motivator for me. I believe in hell but I have different beliefs then most christians regarding that issue. Mostly, I think I believe in God because it gives me something to hope for.


|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while
********
 
Spirit.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kaveri
Age: 26
Location: India

Posts: 1,422
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 13th 2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyah View Post
The answer is fear... period. This fear stops us from using our logic and common sense to really see what is what.
Fear. I think maybe that it is a fairly outdated concept when it comes to belief in God. People have come to realise that they don't need others telling them what and how to believe in/reach God. We're realising that we don't need monarchy and the idea that only certain people can speak the word of God. Additionally belief in God through fear does not automatically mean that we stop using common sense or logic. Fear is instinctual and all of life is born with it and when there are people suggesting that God will smite us because we don't listen, it is only 'logical' that we obey - because otherwise that would have gotten us killed. Have you read about the witch trials? So, I think fear would have worked well for us and kept us alive at that stage when priests commanded all of the knowledge and power of those time.

But those times are changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyah View Post
You honestly dont know why you believe in god.your just afraid of the threat that was told to you.
From all the replied on this thread, I think many people are very clear on why they believe in God - and they have shown that fear is not a reason. I don't think it's okay to assume you know exactly what was taught and how it was taught to everyone. Not all preach that God threatens us and will punish us for everything we do 'wrong'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyah View Post
But if you were to break free for a second and ask yourself,and do real reasearch,you would be suprised to learn that none of this crap actually exists.God is not real,neither is satan.
People are breaking free. They are breaking free from the confines of certain principles of religion in order to change with the times and circumstances. God is as real as you and me. The reason I know that is man is the creator of the concept of God. And is therefore completely real. I don't know if you're strictly speaking only of Christianity, but in my religion/culture we believe in many Gods or rather many forms of God whom are the embodiment of elements of energy in nature. My belief is that God is non-gendered universal energy and consciousness. We do have concepts that are parallel to heaven and hell which are more related to how we choose to see the world, how we choose to treat ourselves and others, which is what all religions teach and I think those are pretty important lessons, whether they come through God or man. This determines how we live our lives, determines how our future will turn out and then our afterlife (if it exists for us or not). I think you may be a little misguided in assuming that Christianity is the only religion with a God. They are just called by different names in different cultures, religions and ways of life.

Additionally, science has barely caught up with spirituality where research is only now being conducted when the concept of spirituality has existed for thousands of years. I know because I'm studying spirituality, religion and psychology as a science and can assure you that science is not particularly reliable when it comes to measuring things that have vast cultural differences so you could try and do a little research too, to try and understand why it is not possible to measure such concepts in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyah View Post
Its all just one big fairytale ment to scare and control you.Do yourself a favor,and dont let that happen
I don't think it's fair that you decide what everyone should believe either. No one is questioning your belief. You are free to believe what you will about God and fear and what not. Though pushing your beliefs onto others is not right, whether is comes from people who are religious or not. It may turn out not being a very good favour for ourselves if we are willing to just take your word for all this and stop believing what we have about God all or most of our lives at the drop of a hat, just because you say so. Just as you have decided not to believe what other people have told you, understand that other people will not agree with your point of view.

Fear as a reason for belief in God may have been the case maybe 50, 100 or even 200 years ago. That's not the case now for the majority of the populations.


~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel



"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."




HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

  Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 13th 2015, 10:04 PM

A word of advice to the OP: making blanket assumptions that people believe in a God or Gods purely because of fear, without any empirical evidence to support such an assumption, is not a particulary good way of opening a discussion topic on religion. The responses you have received to date make it clear that it is not fear which motivates people to believe, and that their reasons for doing so are varied, which rather holes your argument below the waterline. I would suggest that, before advising others to "do some research" into their beliefs, you conduct some further research of your own and reconsider whether your stance is a reasonable one.

For the record, my reasons for believing in God are nothing to do with fear, and purely because for me it makes sense for there to be a higher power involved in all of this. That is a conclusion I have come to based on years of personal research and discussion with others (of all faiths and none).


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11
Guest
 
DeletedAccount11's Avatar
Edit avatar
 

Posts: n/a

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 13th 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyah View Post
The answer is fear... period. This fear stops us from using our logic and common sense to really see what is what.How many of you christians were told that your going to go to hell if you dont believe in "god" when you were younger?Thats when the fear of hell krept in right? So you then started to believe in god and call yourself a christian.Then you go on threatening other innocent people with the same threat you were told.
There are so many who are Christians and so many who are not. Which is why it's highly inaccurate to assume that the only answer is fear, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyah View Post
You honestly dont know why you believe in god.your just afraid of the threat that was told to you.
A lot of people who believe in God, including myself do have real reasons. Many, many reasons so it still seems inaccurate to assume that no one knows why they believe in God and/or that it's fear only. I won't go into all the reasons why for the sake of simplicity, but for me, I believe in God as it feels right. God gives me hope, comfort and is a light that guides me. At the end of the day, He is there and I can trust in Him. He still has love for me even though I am nowhere near perfect. In my view from people I know and myself, I've seen and known that God can do so many amazing things and have such a positive impact on a person's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyah View Post
But if you were to break free for a second and ask yourself,and do real reasearch,you would be suprised to learn that none of this crap actually exists.God is not real,neither is satan.Its all just one big fairytale ment to scare and control you.Do yourself a favor,and dont let that happen
And there's no proof that God doesn't exist. It's okay for you to have your own beliefs, we respect that and won't push ours onto you but it feels very upsetting to the rest of us that do believe in God for you to refer to the belief in God as "crap" and call it a "fairytale" rather than having the same general respect for us that we do for you. If you do not believe in God, then okay, but it feels very unfair for you to tell us not to believe in God by saying to: "break free" and "don't let that happen".

Last edited by DeletedAccount11; August 13th 2015 at 11:50 PM.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: why do you people believe in god? - August 14th 2015, 01:10 AM

Fear could definitely be a contributing factor to some people's belief in a god or gods (particularly of the Christian faith) but in my experience, I do not think that's the majority's. As a fellow atheist, I think you should come into this discussion a bit more open minded than your original post. Read users' reasons and understand that people were born, were raised with different experiences, took a look at their surroundings, and came to different conclusions than we did. If they're happy with their beliefs, there's no problem with that. We have no reason to try to convince them otherwise, just as they have no reason to try to "save" us.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
god, people

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.