TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

View Poll Results: How does your upbringing compare to your current view?
Raised in a religion, still practice that version. 12 26.09%
Raised without a religion, don't practice any. 13 28.26%
Raised in a religion, practice a different one now. 5 10.87%
Raised without a religion, practice one now. 4 8.70%
Raised in a religion, practice a different denomination now. 3 6.52%
Other (please explain). 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 28th 2016, 07:03 AM

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, so I thought I'd open it up to you guys. How much of an impact do you believe your upbringing had on your current view of religion/spirituality? For me, I was raised in a nominally Christian household, and thirteen years' worth of Catholic schooling did make it a bit challenging when I realised that I wanted to follow a different path. That said, I didn't face any resistance when I made my wishes known, so the transition wasn't as difficult as it could have been. I'm curious about what other people's experiences were like, so feel free to vote on the poll and/or elaborate on your response.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 28th 2016, 09:18 AM

I was raised Catholic, but I turned away from religion at about 15 yo. Been evolving ever since, became antireligious around 18.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 28th 2016, 09:25 AM

I was raised christian and still am just with slightly different beliefs of some things in certain areas. There are things the church says that I could never agree on, but all of those things can argued differently at every church you go to so it isn't the religions fault itself, more just what my church believes.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 28th 2016, 09:39 AM

I was raised Catholic, I'll identify as Catholic, but in reality my views and practices are somewhat modernized, loose, or at ends with what the Church teaches. For example, I believe in gay marriage, they don't. That belief plus some obvious others tend to drive people out of the church.
If they had any common sense, they would fix that; because of some revisionist history, nobody really knows that the church had same-sex partnerships that may well have been marriages, or at least some sort of same-sex blessed "friendship". Lol at that shit, you don't bless any friendship with handholding, a kiss, and a ceremony surrounded by family and friends while a priest presides over it with a best man. I don't care that not all cultures and time periods are the same, thats what a marriage is like in many societies, especially Christian ones. Look up the gay saint couple Sts. Serge and Bacchus if you're curious about an example of that...

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 28th 2016, 05:00 PM

My parents never raised me within a specific religion. My grandparents wanted me to be raised Catholic, but my mom had a different idea. I grew up unsure of religion, what it was, and how to go about it. I tried Christianity, but it just didn't click. I don't even know how someone who knows nothing about religion or anything really "converts," because my heart was never really in it. *shrugs*

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 28th 2016, 10:55 PM

I was raised non-practicing Catholic so I said I grew up without a religion. My mom was raised Catholic and is now agnostic, I don't know about my dad, but he went to a Catholic high school. They both hated it and made the decision not to raise me that way. I never went to church with my parents, went a few times with my friend's family (who now identify as atheists) and I can function in a Catholic mass without embarrassing myself.

I consider myself a non-denominational Christian. I always believed in something that I called God and that everything happens for a reason. Because nothing will make you question like having your life collapse, I got more into it in the last year or so, but there are still certain things that I agree/disagree with (gay marriage, abortion, etc.) and that won't change regardless of what faith I identify with.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; March 28th 2016 at 11:11 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 28th 2016, 11:24 PM

Other. Raised conservative baptist, presently identify as agnostic with minor leanings towards deism but with no warranted reason beyond intuition. Likely this intuition is due to my being raised to believe in God and has been indoctrinated into me by some sense.

I miss being religious for various reasons, but can't turn back.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 29th 2016, 03:46 AM

I was raised without a religion. My mom is Atheist and while my dad is Catholic, he doesn't really practice. The thing my mom said growing up to my dad is that if he wanted my sister and I to be religious and go to church and all that, he'd have to go and take us (obviously unless we chose that path for ourselves), and he'd have to start practicing himself. My sister got as far as her first communion and stopped, and my father never took me to church to do any of that. I only have gone for baptisms and funerals. I don't practice religion.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 29th 2016, 04:51 AM

My parents were raised Catholic, so I was Catholic too. I started Catholic school, but the teacher I had was abusive so my parents removed me and put me into regular schooling and I stayed there until a few years ago. I used to go to church with one of my parents but life circumstances prevented us from continuing to go and we never really went back to it after that. Haven't practiced it in years. I only attend church for funerals.

I'm not sure what I believe in now. I believe in something, but I'm interested in a religion but I want to look into it. I don't think I'll ever figure out what I believe.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 29th 2016, 07:54 AM

Grew up and am currently non-religious/atheist. My parents both were raised Catholic and have both left the church.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 29th 2016, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't say I was raised in a specific religion exactly. I mean, my mum would say Christian, and we did used to go to Church, but life got in the way. I was taught about Christianity in school too. Not sure what I believe in...I guess some Christian stuff but not enough to call myself a Christian, or even religious

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 29th 2016, 06:56 PM

I was raised in a Christian household. My mom's family is southern Baptist, and I think my dad's is catholic, but I'm not certain. When I was born we went to a baptist church, but around the time I was eight we switched to a Bible church. I used to be a very conservative Christian, but as I've grown older my views have changed. I still consider myself a Christian but I'm not really practicing.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 29th 2016, 07:56 PM

I was raised christian but as I got older I felt that God was too forgiving and that people can be as bad as they want if they ask for forgiveness. It disgusted me to think that God didn't care about his people enough to enforce his beliefs so I started looking into other religions. Now, I practice Satanism which is nothing like what it's televised to be. It is exactly like Christianity in its values and teachings except it doesn't expect you to victimize yourself for the goodness of others and does not forgive you if you kill/steal/sin. I'm more comfortable knowing that Satan doesn't leave room for 'mistakes' like God does because it ensures me that people will get what they deserve when their time comes. As long as I am good to others, I am allowed to defend myself from bad people without being punished.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Creator of my own world...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 31st 2016, 01:57 AM

I was raised a christian and am still a christian but when I was a kid was brainwashed with religion which led to something terrible - no comfortable explaining that yet - as I got older, I became less and less judgemental like I was raised to be and more and more accepting. So yes, I'm still a Christian but I'm not hardcore and don't shove my beliefs down other people's throats.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#15 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 31st 2016, 02:06 AM

My parents attended various churches up until I turned 13 or 14. I can't recall all the different denominations... I know one was definitely non-denominational, and another was Baptist. I was enrolled in a Catholic school for 5 years, and then a Baptist school for 5 years. My dad doesn't identify as a Christian and he stopped attending church when my parents separated - I think he only did it for appearances' sake. My mom identifies as a non-denominational Christian, and she has attended church on and off over the years.

I have always identified as a non-denominational Christian. I stopped attending church for 8 years because I was angry about some things that other Christians had done to me, but I eventually realized that I needed to interact with a religious community in order to learn more about my relationship with God and to strengthen my faith. I LOVE the church I'm attending now! Its congregation mainly consists of people in their 20s and 30s, so I feel that I can relate to the people I meet. The church is also very open about addressing controversial topics (LGBT, abortion, premarital sex, etc.) and it does so in a loving way, even if the church's official stance is that it doesn't endorse those things. There are lots of therapists who attend the church, too, so mental health and addiction isn't stigmatized. There are support groups for members who struggle with those kinds of issues, and the members/pastors meet each person where they're at in their faith, lifestyle, etc. I really wish everyone could find a church like mine, so that they could experience God's love without interference from people who are judgmental and rigid in their ways of thinking.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 31st 2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
My parents attended various churches up until I turned 13 or 14. I can't recall all the different denominations... I know one was definitely non-denominational, and another was Baptist. I was enrolled in a Catholic school for 5 years, and then a Baptist school for 5 years. My dad doesn't identify as a Christian and he stopped attending church when my parents separated - I think he only did it for appearances' sake. My mom identifies as a non-denominational Christian, and she has attended church on and off over the years.

I have always identified as a non-denominational Christian. I stopped attending church for 8 years because I was angry about some things that other Christians had done to me, but I eventually realized that I needed to interact with a religious community in order to learn more about my relationship with God and to strengthen my faith. I LOVE the church I'm attending now! Its congregation mainly consists of people in their 20s and 30s, so I feel that I can relate to the people I meet. The church is also very open about addressing controversial topics (LGBT, abortion, premarital sex, etc.) and it does so in a loving way, even if the church's official stance is that it doesn't endorse those things. There are lots of therapists who attend the church, too, so mental health and addiction isn't stigmatized. There are support groups for members who struggle with those kinds of issues, and the members/pastors meet each person where they're at in their faith, lifestyle, etc. I really wish everyone could find a church like mine, so that they could experience God's love without interference from people who are judgmental and rigid in their ways of thinking.
This is a church I wish i could find. I need to figure out my feelings regarding God (been angry with him a lot and it's causing conflicts in my belief) but I'm never able to find a church that works for me. There's one I want to try again but it's far.

Anyway, my parents went through a stage where they were really religious. We went to church every Wednesday and then we went Sunday mornings and Sunday nights. That church was very cultish though and kicked us out.

My dad still believes in God but doesn't go to church.

As for me, up until recently I would have said I believe in God but haven't been to church in ages. I don't know how I feel about organized religion. Lately though that has changed and I'm not sure I believe in God.

If I could find a church I felt comfortable in I might be able to work on figuring things out but they are all super conservative on matters like abortion and LGBT issues.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 31st 2016, 05:15 AM

i was raised a diehard christian. but in middle school, when a group of atheists ganged up on me and harassed me for "still having an imaginary friend", i found that i had little facts and even belief to back up my (or more accurately, my parents) faith.
i went through some serious religious analysis of myself and found that the only real reason i was a christian was because my parents brought me up telling me that was the one and only truth.
can you blame a little kid for believing anything his or her parents say?

at this point i've become so anti-religious i hate to say i identify as anything. but if i had to choose, i would have to say that i'm agnostic at this point. there's no proof for or against a god.
i think i'm a spiritual agnostic, to be exactly specific. because i still pray to this god on occasion, but it's more like outwardly wishing and hoping and just sending good vibes that something in my life will go well.

i dunno, i'm still thinking on it. and battling the fact that i'm forced to go to a christian church with my family every week. -.- i'll NEVER get tired of hearing my mom worriedly say "do you hate jesus??!?"

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 31st 2016, 07:27 AM

I can't really say I was raised in a certain religion. I grew up going to Catholic mass on Easter, Christmas, and once in a while on regular Sundays. But, it wasn't really something that was talked about at home and my mom only pushed us all to go to church because she was raised Catholic and felt guilty for not going. I became a Christian when I was 15 and practiced for about 4 years before choosing to leave the church. I'm not entirely sure what I'd call myself right now, but I don't believe in or practice one specific religion.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - March 31st 2016, 09:37 AM

Hey

I was born into a Hindu family but I never really followed the religion. I was pretty much an atheist for all of my life. Well, up until last year, when I became Christian.

So, yeah, now I'm Christian and my parents don't know.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 9th 2016, 12:02 AM

I wasn't raised as anything. My parents were both raised in forms of christianity, I grew up not really hearing anything about religion either way. My view now is that I just don't know. I'd probably call myself agnostic. My siblings are both atheists, one more so than the other.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Stormblade Offline
The Cool Half
Not a n00b

Name: Logan

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 9th 2016, 12:38 AM

My family had been mostly Anglican in the past, but I was raised without a religion. I wasn't raised in atheism or anything, but that's what I chose when I was old enough to decide for myself.

Send a message via Skype™ to Stormblade 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 9th 2016, 06:26 AM

I was raised a Catholic and still believe it the religion.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 20th 2016, 06:22 PM

I was raised christian. My current spiritual beliefs are not christian, and are a lot more personal. I'm still a spiritual person but I don't believe in what I was taught as a child.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 20th 2016, 07:23 PM

This might sound a little odd, so I'm going to try my best to explain. My mom grew up as Catholic, went to private school until they couldn't afford it anymore after her dad died and I think my dad grew up Presbyterian. Ever since I was a kid, up to about middle school, my mom took me to a different church every Sunday. One week it was a catholic church, next week Christian, next week Presbyterian , and so on. So I was honestly really confused and didn't learn anything. My dad didn't care to force religion on us. But his mom forces her beliefs on me all the time, more like catholic beliefs. But I always went more with what my mom taught me, and I listened to a lot of religious music, I still do. But as I grew up and learned a lot of churches don't accept me because of my sexuality, or this really stupid one a lot of people don't accept me because I have red hair and people actually think I'm a spawn of Satan because of it. And I started reading the bible, watching religious movies, and honestly religion is really scary to me. I like the idea of being happy and having someone to look up to in times of troubles, but I'm just going to be honest there are a lot of horrible things in the bible and that some churches, not all, participate in some pretty questionable activities. So I consider myself an atheist based on science and actually doing research on religion. But I still like listening to religious and upbeat happy, faith, type music. My psychiatrist believes it might be best to try Unitarian type practices. And I'll be honest I haven't really looked into it yet.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 20th 2016, 08:21 PM

I was raised Christian but as I got older I got away from it and started looking at the other religions. I don't specifically follow any at this time but I do have a stronger interest in Wicca over anything else.

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 21st 2016, 05:51 AM

You forgot raised in a religion and no longer have one.

I was raised Catholic. I'm an atheist. But I am not a diehard atheist that feels the need to follow science to justify my lack of beliefs. This could also be due to my age and I have other stuff to do since I am studying to become a nurse practitioner.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 21st 2016, 07:01 PM

I was raised Christian, and I still am one but not a practicing one.
I believe in some of the things I was taught but I don't believe every single thing I was taught, if that makes sense.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Average Joe

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 22nd 2016, 05:35 AM

Raised in the church. Don't follow a real religion, But follow some of the ideas taught in most religions, but also taught in philosophy and eastern religions.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
eat sleep rave repeat
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: REDACTED

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 23rd 2016, 12:21 AM

I was sort of raised in two religions, but neither was very important in my life growing up. To explain, my dad is a lapsed Roman Catholic and I probably had more contact with Christianity - specifically Catholicism - than any other religion, naturally because I grew up mostly in Ireland and not having contact with Catholicism is impossible when you live here. I literally had to be baptised into the church just to get a place in my local primary school, that's how bad a theocracy we are.

My mom on the other hand is from a working class Jewish background and was herself raised by very religious parents. However, Judaism is kind of dead where we live, my hometown's synagogue closed in the eighties and most Jews have either left the city or been absorbed by the general Irish Catholic population, especially less wealthy Jews who had little choice but to assimilate.

So I grew up around both Judaism and Catholicism but I'm not sure if I had enough exposure to religion for me to say I was "raised" in either. Besides I'm pretty much an atheist so I don't follow the belief systems of either. I do feel more Jewish than Catholic but that's because to me being Jewish is more of an ethnic identity than a religious/spiritual one.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
MrCross Offline
The Enlightened
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Andy

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 23rd 2016, 12:38 AM

When I was growing up it is hard to say that I was actually raised within what you would call a religious family. My mother and father never really went to church, my sister did and I went along from time to time but I was never forced to participate in anything except for my baptism as a baby, but yeah not like I remember that much anyways.

Now at my current age I am Christian, the new form of Christianity not the old form where God is thrown in your face and hell is threatened on you if you don't believe. As a new age Christian for those that may have not heard of the term, you basically live as Jesus did which was in shortened version (I am not going to bore you with religious talk :P) is to live your life loving others not hating, forgiving and not seeking revenge, accepting all regardless of race, sex, religion, sexuality, etc.

I believe my upbringing was a major influence on my belief in God, I was not forced to believe but rather allowed to accept whatever I chose to accept. Having taken courses and read many things involving Psychology, most who are forced into religion more often then not turn from it when they grow and think more on their own rather then someone else thinking for them. Religion can be a hard life sometimes especially when everyone around you has strong ideals and beliefs and will not blink even once when they condemn you for just trying to be who God made you to be.

Anyways I am cutting myself off at the pass before I start rambling so much that this turns into a book

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 29th 2016, 02:18 AM

I was raised in a casually Christian family, with my father's side being Catholic and my mother's being Protestant. I am (as my username might suggest) a heretic, in the traditional (original) sense of the term, which is to say I am a free thinker and do not feel bound to any dogma or scripture, nor to any deity or religious figure. My heretical beliefs are actually a combination of primordialism and humanism, so I suppose that's a unique belief system in and of itself.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 30th 2016, 05:53 AM

Raised Catholic. Details are kind of fuzzy on if we went to church outside of school church stuff. Went to Catholic school until 6th grade and that school honestly made me lose my faith until I was an adult. I went to public school until I graduated high school and was pretty much a raging atheist the entire time. At the present moment I don't identify with any religion, but I believe in God. Last time I was at church was for my nephew's baptism that I heavily disagreed with and I left mid ceremony. Church never felt like a safe place for me because of the extremely negative environment I was in at Catholic school. So I've pretty much just stuck with only believing in God in some shape or form and beyond that I'm more agnostic.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 30th 2016, 05:51 PM

My dad is a Catholic and my mum is a Protestant but neither particularly believe their religion. My grandad is more religious. I guess I identify as atheist but there were points in my life where I prayed to a god (not entirely sure which one...)
My parents would be happy for me to follow any religion I think

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 30th 2016, 07:50 PM

Was raised as kinda secular Christian (the kind where you go to Christmas parties but dont do anything else ) up until the age of 5. At age 5 I moved and started living with my grandparents. I was enrolled in a Yeshiva and went there for school till 8th grade. I was a practicing Jew and my grandparents were very strict on me and my siblings because we were the ones who were only half Jewish and therefore most likely to question things :P I was the most religious one out of all my sisters though.
After I graduated 8th grade I went to a public high school and public college and during these years, my grandparents and relatives did not push religion on me like they used to but they were furious underneath their politeness. I guess I consider myself Agnostic-questioning type of deal. I went through a phase of wanting to do witchcraft and/or paganism but y'know I have a black cat and it really seemed purrfect. I should also mention that my mother was Jewish and my father grew up Christian so I grew up with a hybrid, considering that I would spend time with my Christian counsins during Christmas and Easter and my Jewish cousins on Shabbat, Passover and other Jewish holidays. Although it would contradict and I'd be told I had to choose sides even though I didn't mind practicing both and that was all very confusing, and both sides are very unaccepting of each other, so I am quite indecisive about what I believe. I have fond memories as well as some horrific ones regarding the religious conflict. So...yeah. I am not sure how I feel about Jesus. When people try to talk to me about him I get really annoyed. But maybe it's the preaching style that they use that annoys me.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Samuel Offline
Sam
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - April 30th 2016, 10:59 PM

I was raised, well so far, in a "Christian" home. We went to Sunday school and did/do all the things that good Christian families do, I think. And from what I've learned I do believe and I feel that it has impacted my life in a positive way. I try to like by the golden rule, and I've found if I follow that, people are usually a bit nicer to me back, and I like that.

My parents, my mom, on the other hand, I wish she would practice what she preatches.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How you were raised vs. what you believe now. - May 2nd 2016, 06:31 PM

I was raised in a religion (Christianity), but I don't think I ever truly believed most of it. Even when 6 years old. It is difficult to think that far back, but I do vividly remember certain individual events and how I behaved. I was given a choice on whether I wanted to attend religious classes in school, and pretty much everyone in my class would attend them, so I thought I would too so that I wouldn't stick out of the crowd and look awkward. Peer pressure in other words, perhaps. My parents didn't make me do anything. Initially, I think I was rather indifferent, neither for or against religion. I just did and behaved as "expected". Kind of like how some people marry at the age of 18 because they're "expected" to.

Sometimes though I wouldn't do what was expected though. The older I got the more that was the case. That caused a few falling-outs with people here and there. It got rough a few times. Quite rough. I punched an "elder" for pulling my hair one time because she didn't see me in church. I'm a lot like this even today, although I'm much less impulsive with it. Normally something like that would have "villagers" running to your parents, but people in the village knew by then that my parents would probably report them to the police instead, or sue them. Or both. We weren't exactly "local", and we didn't share the same mentality. So they fucked off. Nonetheless, I got mad after that, started hating religion. I think I was about 8 or 9 then. I had spent a large part of my childhood growing up in Poland. In addition, it was a village. So what else would you expect, right? Kids do as they're told in places like that, or they get beaten, sometimes even if they're someone else's kids. It's the communist mentality that one person's child, is somehow everyone's child, and everyone's job to bring up. Plus the strong authoritarian attitudes play their part. I won't go on.

Then my parents moved to Brazil. I was 9 then. People over there were much less fanatical with religion. It was more about enjoying life, as opposed to "repenting for your sins" 24/7 (which tbh got fucking boring very fast for me, I would just kneel there pretending I'm praying instead of actually doing it). Despite much worse poverty, people were fking 10x happier somehow. Gradually I think I realized (not consciously though) that assholes aren't unique to religion and they exist everywhere, and that religion comes down to interpretation. So I think I dropped most of my hate against religion by the age of 14 or so, although I would relapse occasionally when confronted with some fanatical horseshit. Today it really doesn't matter where it comes from. It could be Christian, it could be Islam. It could even be atheist fanaticism, as has happened on some occasions.

About 12 years old I moved back the UK, and spent most of the rest of my life there.

Whole story short. As short as I could make it.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; May 2nd 2016 at 07:19 PM.

Closed Thread