TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fuzzy wuzzy <3's you
Average Joe

Name: Lillian (Lilli)

Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 11th 2017, 11:08 PM

I was just wondering is there anything in the Bible that talks about bad mothers? I know somebody who is actually very awful to her baby... Well, WAS at one point. Her baby was taken away by CPS because he swallowed her drugs. She doesn't even talk about anymore. All she ever talks about on her Facebook (I don't hang out with her in person) is her boyfriend. It really got me thinking. Were there irrepressible, and neglectful mothers in the bible?

~~you doubted me then, but look at me now~~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 11th 2017, 11:40 PM

I'm trying to understand what your question is. I mean, what makes a "bad" mother? It sounds like this person you know is a crappy mom who neglected her child at best, and at worst outright abused her child and is to wrapped up in men to make her kid a priority. Some women are like that. But I don't think there is a definitive case for crappy mothers in the bible. Even if there is, it'd boil down to social expectations. Like 200 years ago wealthy women barely raised their kids and would let the kids go to apprentice with families at the age of 12 and all this other nonsense. Today, you wouldn't just send your child off like that and there are child labour laws against having your child go to work at 12 as an apprentice. Even still, 25-50 years ago it was totally ok to spank a kid, slap a kid, and for teacher's to also do so, but that's basically child abuse and not ok. Was Lots wife being a bad mom when she looked back and got turned into a pillar of salt and leaving her daughter to be molested by Lot? Not really? I think Lot was a pretty shitty father though. You don't have to agree, I just find that story uncomfortable. Was Mary being a bad mom by letting Jesus go off on his own in Jerusalem when he was a little boy? Not really, but can you imagine the outrage if that happened to a child these days? It's all about standards. If I went through the bible with a fine tooth comb, I am sure more than 1 shitty parent would come up.

Now are you asking me if bad moms in the bible explains why this woman could leave her child in a situation where it could swallow pills? No. I don't think so. I think things like that are so messed up that you can't really use parents of those long dead as examples. The contexts are totally different. All you'll learn is that parents have always had the potential to be terrible. What difference does that make? I think you can look to a lot of other places to help understand why a mom would be like this in contexts that will be more relevant than the bible.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
fuzzy wuzzy <3's you
Average Joe

Name: Lillian (Lilli)

Re: Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 12th 2017, 02:58 PM

Thanks! I loved your reply!

~~you doubted me then, but look at me now~~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 13th 2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
Was Mary being a bad mom by letting Jesus go off on his own in Jerusalem when he was a little boy? Not really, but can you imagine the outrage if that happened to a child these days?
If you actually read it, you would see that Mary did not realize Jesus left her, and as soon as she saw her child was gone she turned right around and went looking for him. Back then people traveled in large groups to deter theives, so it isn't unreasonable to assume that Mary's loss of Jesus was not neglectful parenting, but similar to the modern situation of a child getting separated from a mother in crowded mall.

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 13th 2017, 06:05 PM

There were a bunch of instances of terrible fathers in the Bible (Abraham about to sacrifice Isaac, for instance), but I think you could make the case that the mothers usually didn't have the power to make important bad decisions because patriarchy was so powerful back then.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 14th 2017, 03:52 AM

I don't remember where, but there was a story of two women eating their children. It's either in Deuteronomy or Leviticus. I believe the former.

Also, Athaliah.

Also this:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...26-2Kgs%206:30

(this might be the passage I'm thinking of -- but I guess she didn't eat her own son, but still... pretty awful mother).

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 22nd 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
Was Lots wife being a bad mom when she looked back and got turned into a pillar of salt and leaving her daughter to be molested by Lot? Not really? I think Lot was a pretty shitty father though. You don't have to agree, I just find that story uncomfortable.
Here is the story I assume you are referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 19:30-38(KJV)

30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.

31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:

32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

37 And the first born bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.

38 And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.
As you can see, this is actually a case of the reverse. Lot's daughters got him drunk and proceeded to rape him without him even knowing about it. I find this story and your "retelling" of it to be quite an example of our times, blaming the men for rape despite not having the facts.

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Are there bad mothers in the Bible? - March 22nd 2017, 03:43 AM

Explain your position?

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread